RPG Chapter 5: The Master's Back Door

R

Rando

To Dorgath and Nychus -
This part of the cavern is natural, unlike the carved stairs and halls of the other side of the lake.

The "beach" extends about 50 feet from water line to cave. I'd say you got about 10 feet from the cave when you first hear the noise. It's not a voice, but more like an animal's growl.

To all other players -
You pile into the boats. You all just fit, barely. You then begin to cross the lake.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Is there any room besides the cave entrance to "hide" or is it a straight shot from the entrance to the beach? Since the torches have left(?) can I make out any shapes? I stop where I am until I know more.

R

Rando

To Dorgath -

It may be dark, but your dwarven eyes were made for this enviorment.

You quickly scan the area. The entire beach is about 50 feet from cave to water, and 50 feet long on either side before the cave wall goes stright up.

(a bad map of the cave follows)

Stairs------Lake--------Shore----Cave

rrrrrrr/rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr\rrrrrrr
rrrrrr/wwwwwwwwwwwwwww\rrrr
rrrrr/wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww\BBrr
]]]]<BwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwBBC->
rrrrr\wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww/BBrr
rrrrrr\wwwwwwwwwwwwwww/rrrr
rrrrrrr\wwwwwwwwwwwww/rrrrrrr
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

r= solid rock
B= beach
w= water
C= cave

In the mouth of the cave, you can make out a bulbuos form of some beast. 3 red eyes glow in the dark. 4 thick, leathery tenticles flop about just outside the mouth of the cave.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yeah, this is just great. Not sure if the creature has seen me :rolleyes: , I back slowly away. If it makes any move out of the cave, I monitor how fast it goes. If it seems like "running", I skaddle back to Nychus, yelling and pointing.

If it doesn't move, I check the distance at which I can no longer see it, and go back to Nychus to tell him what I saw.

If it moves slowly, I keep retreating slowly.

E

EricBess

"All together now, 'Row, row, row your boat, gently...GENTLTY. Hey, quit shoving. Okay, I'll stop already. Gesh!"

S

sageridder

""We might as well eat somthing."
**Hands out iron rations to anyone that wants them.***

*****As we pass he rock structures do we see any markings?Do we hear or smell anything?How long have the others been left alone?how long have we been adrift?The light should light up 25 feet do we see any large objects moving under the water surface,or anywhere else?***

D

Daggertooth

I follow slowly behind Dorgath as best I can, only going by his footsteps and hoping there are no stalagtites that reach Just enough to catch me in my face.

I stop when I can no longer hear his footsteps. I uncover one of the few unique arrows I have, (there is a small secton in my quiver set aside for unique arrows. This is always covered by a cloth) Just in case.

R

Rando

To Zilore -
All you smell is stagnant water and mildewed rock. Nothing out of the ordinary. Oh yeah...no markings either.

To Dorgath -
The creature makes no move to follow you.

To all in the boat -
The light from the "Glow Ball" strikes the shore of the lakes shore. You do not see anyone there.

R

rkoelsch

"god I hate when this happens. I know we left them there they are probably keeping a low profile to play it safe. To be on the safe side, I think we should probably be as quite as possible."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I assume I bump into/pass Nychus on my way back to the beach. I hurridly tell him what I saw and suggest we should go back to the beach to wait for the others and plan our next move and I keep on going to the beach.

E

EricBess

"Anything intelligent that may have gotten them already knows we're here. I think it is worth a small risk."

In more of a raised voice than a shout, I call, "Dogath? Nychus?"

R

Rando

To Dorgath and Nychus -
You hear Jaspar calling out to you from the water. As of yet the beast makes no move or other noise.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on how far they are away, I either motion with my hands pushing down (far) or put my finger to my lips (near).

D

Daggertooth

I slowly move towards the beach. Keeping my arrow pointed in the beasts General direction.

R

Rando

To all players -
You are soon all rejoined on the beach, with Doegath trying his best to make "be quiet" motions.

Archway speaks, "What is going on here? What's on this side of the water?"

R

rkoelsch

saying quietly to Archway,"Give them some time to explain sir", I really don't like that guy. To Dorgarth, quietly again" Is there someone nearby?"
Keep my staff ready.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
In hushed tones "Some beast is up near the cave entrance. Tentacles and 3 red eyes. I have not seen such a creature before. It did not follow me back down here but I am not sure if it saw me or not. Thedlyn, you have any experience with this?"

R

Rando

To Dorgath -
"Nay." says Thedlyn. "I've never heared of such a beast. But many old and foul things lurk in the belly of the earth."

To all players -
Archway speaks, "Did it threaten you in any way?"

Stephen speaks, "It sounds like a creature I've heared of that would take away little boys that wandered into the hills. I always thought it was a tale to frighten children!"

R

rkoelsch

"Do you think it is possible it is not a beast but some decoy to scare off trespassers?"

E

EricBess

"Stephen, you of all people should know there is always some truth to those stories. Just because people like us like to embelish a bit never changes that.

"As far as a decoy, I suppose we could send our most expendible member to go find out. Any volunteers? Nope? We'll, I guess we'll just have to assume this thing is real then. Can we get past in or is it blocking the passageway?"