RPG Chapter 5: The Master's Back Door

S

sageridder

"Ow Ow Ow"
***If I am concious I will cast healing magic on myself.If not I will lay on the floor like a smoldering turd.***

E

EricBess

"Stephen, we'll have to get together later and figure out how to explain this one in the tale of the heros. Thank goodness for poetic license."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"How about 'Zilore was instrumental in assisting Jaspar in discovering the powers of the brass ring'? :) "

R

rkoelsch

"Is the door open or closed?"

**oh the imagery I think zilore is trying to be a bard.

R

Rando

To all players -

The door is still closed (though unlocked) and Zilore is concious.

Anybody wanna PM Daggertooth to see if he's still playing?

R

rkoelsch

Once Zilore is healed and out of the way, I will open the door towards us since we can see the hinges.

R

Rando

To all players -
Roland opens the door...

On the other side you all see a straight hall leading as far back as you can see.

The first strange thing you notice is that the other side of the door, as well as the walls, are all blackened with a thick soot.

The second strange thing you notice is that the skeletal hand you saw poking out from under the door is the only part of the body remaining. There is a pile of dust and ash on the floor directly across the threshhold.

The smell of char hangs heavy in the air, and it is not too old a scent.

E

EricBess

"Well. Guess we know what happened to our friend here! Curious though. This ring is obviously powerful. If he was running, you might think he didn't know what he had. If that's the case, they were probably chasing him to get the ring back. Funny that they didn't."

R

Rando

To all players -

Archway speaks, *sniff, sniff*, "I do recognize that stench. Only a dragon's fire burns so completely."

He kicks at the pile of dust. "I would surmise that this unfortunate soul found the beast's lair and tried to make a run for it. In this closed space, he stood no chance against the wurms firey breath."

Stephen speaks, "It would seem he took no tresure though, unless it too was consumed in the conflagaration."

Thedlyn stifles a sob, "And to think that this is what has become of my Dwarven brothers and sisters back home. I scarcely think there is home at all now."

S

sageridder

***Slowly rising to my feet.***
"What happened did I set off a trap?Wow there isn't any cover to speak of in the tunnel ahead if the flame comes through when we are in there we are toast."
***I pick up my lockpicks and put them away.I turn to Archway.***
"Archway you have done this sort of thing before,do you have any magics that could protect us from the wurm's fiery breath?"

R

Rando

To Zilore -

Archway says, "Nay, I have no such magics. But the wurm is no where near. The smell of a dragon is not one you forget, and it's stench is not here at the moment. I think this passage is safe...for now."

E

EricBess

"We should be careful. If this is a backdoor, the passage is probably guarded further on. But this poor fellow was obviously being chased when the passage was torched, so I believe Archway is correct about the dragon being elsewhere at the moment."

R

rkoelsch

"Any ideas who uses this door? It is too small for a Dragon. As our leader, I think Archway should precede us"

R

Rando

To all players -

The passage is just wide enough for you to walk two abreast.

Archway says, "Indeed, I would be proud to go first. Who shall stand by me?"

D

Daggertooth

**That only leaves Daggertooth, aka Nychus. Good enough.**
**don't I feel the love. :) Anyway, I'm back**

Nychus stands Back observing the door. Zilores bow hanging by his side, notched with a poison tiped arrow.

"The question I have is what cind of dragon breath can incinerate a person but not touch a decaying wooden door. Does it have magical properties."

**How tall is the cavern now?**

R

Rando

Originally posted by Daggertooth

**don't I feel the love. :) Anyway, I'm back**

Hey, don't take it personally. Just trying to move the story along...

To answer your queries: The passage on the other side of the door is carved from solid stone. It is about 7 or 8 feet tall and 4 1/2, or 5 feet wide.

The "in" side of the door is chared black, and easily scrapes away with a finger nail. In fact, it does not take much to force a finger all the way through to the other side. However, the iron bands on the door hold it together.

D

Daggertooth

**Oh, okay. Don't worry, I wont take offence. :)**

Archway, Ill stand by you. I can't see too far, But I should be able to get of at least two shots to anything approaching.

R

rkoelsch

"I will walk with Archway, as long as Jasper doesn't walk behind me."

**no offence

R

Rando

To Nychus -

Archway says to you, "Very well my friend. Let's be off. Everyone else, follow behind."

to all players -

Archway holds a small lantern in one hand and one of his flintlock pistols in the other. He casts his wide-brimmed hat aside and starts off down the hall.

The passage continues straight for about 100 paces. You all then come to a stair-case leading down. The passage is considerably wider here, and the stairs are at least 10 feet wide. The smell of stagnant water is noticed here, and grows stronger as you continue down the steps.

You all soon come to a large underground lake. It is natural, and you can see the stalagtites hanging down, thier tips almost in the water. Some of them are very large and there are many of them. The effect of this creates a maze of stone across the water. It is impossible to tell how far the lake spans, but it's banks on either side of you go off as far as your torch-light and continue into the darkness.

Moored on the edge of the lake at the foot of the steps is a row boat. There is a long pole resting across it.
It is attached by a rope to an iron spike set in the lake's stone shore. There is also another such spike a few feet away, but no such boat is tied to it.

E

EricBess

"Well, was this boat coming or going?"

***Are we going to need to cross this lake? How big it the rowboat?

***Note to Roland -- Wimp!!! ;)