D&D: Horror on the Hill: Beginnings

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's pretty much how you did it with that other room, letting the monster into the doorway and the party teaming up on him :)

So if Rondo's going to brace the second door, who's gonna fight with Si'Nat?

In addition, since that's what you're doing, Si'Nat can do what's called a "fighting withdrawal", which allows you to back up, moving at half your movement rate, but still in the fight and preventing the bonus hits

T

train

well - Gareth could still take "front" and Cugel could shoot over him...

Si'Nat

"Gareth, step up and show 'em what you got!..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
As the party ignores Wilhelm, Si'Nat steps back out of the doorway to allow Gareth into the fight. He hits the wounded hobgoblin as he does so, cutting a giant slash across its chest.

Rondo braces the second door to make sure it can't be opened.

Round 3 - Hobgoblins get initiative.

The wounded hobgoblin, seemingly enraged by being beat by an elf, follows Si'Nat into the doorway and attacks him again but misses.

Cugel fires a shot over Gareth at it but misses.

Si'Nat and Gareth both hit and together, bring it down.

Round 4 - Hobgoblins get initiative.

The second hobgoblin kicks aside his fallen comrade to get into the doorway and attacks Si'Nat but misses.

Cugel tries to take his time with this shot but misses.

Si'Nat and Gareth both miss also.

Round 5 - Party gets initiative.

Cugel and Si'Nat both miss, but Gareth gets a glancing blow on him.

The hobgoblin returns the favor to Gareth with a similiar scratch.

Round 6 - Hobgoblins get initiative.

The hobgoblin misses Si'Nat.

Perhaps it's the close fighting quarters, but Cugel, Si'Nat, and Gareth all miss the foe.

Round 7 - Party gets initiative.

Cugel's arrow scratches the hobgoblin's cheek, Si'Nat lands a solid blow (finally!), but Gareth misses.

Si'Nat successfully blocks the hobgoblin's attack.

Round 8 - Party gets initiative.

Cugel's arrow again barely hits the hobgoblin, but Si'Nat and Gareth both hit, again making a nice combo to bring him down.

The last hobgoblin steps foward and attacks Gareth, but he blocks it with his shield.

Round 9 - Hobgoblin gets initiative.

Gareth remains the hobgobin's target and takes a solid hit! He's bleeding profusely.

T

train

After Cugel takes his shot - I'll get between Gareth and plow into the hobgoblin with the sword, while still attacking the beastie... (I'll push myself past Gareth if needed...)

"Now we can't let you have too much fun there Beastie!..."

D

DarthFerret

Bertrem

Not sure where I am sitting as far as spells available or indeed in the combat here, but if available, will cast my cure spell on Gareth, and afterwards pull out the mace and assist in the combat of the last hobgoblin

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Bertrem, you're kind of with the rest of the party outside the door. Gareth and Si'Nat are immediately in front of the doorway in melee combat with the hobgoblin. So you can cast the Cure Light Wounds, but they're blocking access to the hobgoblin (especially with Si'Nat's note above)

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
** If we're down to 2 HG's left, and with Gareth in trouble besides Rondo can't help but throw open the other door and enter the fray, axe leading...:) **

T

train

We're down to the last hobgoblin - so if rondo does open the door - it goes back to two on one, and re-opens the shot capability for Cugel - since I am getting between Gareth and the hobgoblin...

Going 3 on 1 - we should be able to take him...

"Eat this!"

(brings the pain...not sure if it's mine of the hobgoblins yet... ;))

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Just a reminder, the order of combat is missile, spells, and melee. So Bertrem can either shoot a missile or cast a spell, but can't do both in the same round. But since you said casting first, I'll go with that...

Cugel misses his shot by a wide mark.

Bertrem murmurs the words to his Cure Light Wounds spell for Gareth, whose bleeding stops and wounds close. Gareth shouts his thanks.

Si'Nat pushes past Gareth and hits the hobgoblin along the arm. Rondo throws open the door so he can join the fray and hits its leg.

Round 10 - Party gets initiative.

Cugel and Bertrem take aim with their bow and sling respectively, but both miss.

Si'Nat takes his turn, being the bloodthirsty elf he is, and scratches the hobgoblin.

The hobgoblin turns his attack on Rondo (perhaps he has a healthy dislike for dwarves?) but misses.

Rondo swings with his axe and connects with a mighty blow, severely wounding the hobgoblin. It looks in pretty bad shape.

Round 11 - Party gets initiative.

Cugel finally takes part in the action and brings down the hobgoblin with a well-placed shot to the chest.

T

train

(Scan room for other hobgoblins, and make sure we're safe... then begin searching room for any objects of interest...)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
So, I have this torch.... is it safe to come in with you guys?

Once Wilhelm enters he will cast cure light on who ever is the most beat looking.

D

DarthFerret

Unless someone is really hurt, will save my 2nd cure for a more desperate time.

If the coast is clear, will start rummaging around looking for valueables/useful objects.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Although he wasn't really in this battle, Kurik still looks in bad shape from the previous encounter. Other than him, you guys pretty much escaped this one without a scratch - Gareth feels and looks as good as new, thanks to Bertrem's timely Cure spell.

The only things or object of interest in this room is the fire in the center and the throne on the far east wall.

T

train

Sy'Kl
(Will head over to examine the throne...)
@Moose: Kurik would also be good to get back to full health...

"Hmmm... not much here - guess I'll take a closer look at this throne..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The throne just seems to have been "crudely" hacked/carved from a pieceof stone. It's hard, cold and, well, "stony".

T

train

(and no other doors in this way huh?...)

"Well - there isn't much here... so I guess we can look at heading back after resting..."

(are there any rooms we haven't been in?)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I'll put up an updated map

Actually, there are two doors that you couldn't see from when first entering the room but can now see from the throne vantage. There's a door directly north of you and a door in the NW corner.

Attachments

T

train

(Well - now we're talking...)

Si'Nat

"Let's see here..."

(opens - or attempts to open - the door directly N of me...)