D&D: Horror on the Hill: Beginnings

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Guido's Fort.

The end of the traders' road.

Perched on the banks of the might River Shrill, this isolated frontier settlement is the last stop on the caravan route. The mile-wide river is all that separates the Fort from the shadowy bulk known only as "The Hill", a land of nameless terrors and ancient legends.

The fog-shrouded crests and densely wooded slopes of The Hill rise 400 feet, looming ominously over the tiny settlement. On clear days, The Hill's rocky cliffs can be seen jutting from its bulky mass, but the view is usually obscured by gouts of steam that seem to rise from outlets on The Hill itself.

This mysterious mountain has long been rumored to shelter bands of vicious monsters. Only the awesome water of the Shrill have prevented the monsters from invading the undergarrisoned fort. Several groups of brave and hardy adventurers have crossed the river to explore The Hill's summits and face the wicked monsters, but none of these bands was ever heard from again.

Thus it is that you have met at the Lion's Den Inn, traveling there after your adventures in Haven. The inn has a large commons room filled with benches and tables, a bar, and a large fireplace. It's smoky, dimly-lit and fairly quiet. There's about six other people in the room, other traders and settlers. They look up as you enter, noting your arms and armor, then settle back to their own conversations.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Cugel was glad that he had been able to defeat Arik without losing too many of his comrades. But he still had no idea where he was. Well, he would not be going home any time in the near future. Perhaps it would be best to remain with those he knew he could trust. For now.

T

train

Si'Nat

"Well, seems someone forgot to tell them we were coming... there's no parade or anything...

Maybe we can find someone willing to fill us in on what they know about the hill..."

(approaches barkeep to order a drink - makes small talk to see what he can find out...)

"A water please... so what's the talk on the hill over the water?"

B

BigBlue

Patrick

"Ahhh. It's good to be on the frontier again."

If any of the tables have room to sit with them (with the traders & Settlers)... I'll sidle up, buy the next round, and listen - participating when appropriate. (I don't want to seem pushy or nosy to them - mostly observing). I'm interested in what their wares are, how many recent forays into the hill there have been, how recent those were, etc... If things are going well, I'll buy the subsequent round as well.

(*I view myself as a peasant mage - not the hoity toity type, but a friend to the common man.*)

D

DarthFerret

I will circulate through the crowd, attempting to glean knowledge while at the same time offering my healing services if they are needed....

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Rondo stumps in and sidles up to the bar near the other guys but does not acknowledge them. He orders a mead and keeps to himself, grumbling under his breath to discourage anyone from approaching him, as he keeps an eye on things.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
** Sorry, I wanted to get out the intro before I left for the week last week. Let's say you heard rumors of the "Hill" back in Haven, nothing really specific, so you traveled there to get more information.

Si'Nat: The barkeep replies, "Water, eh? Not the drinking type? Well, there's been some strange happenings on the Hill as of late. I heard an evil witch lives there. Her house appears to be a small hut, but in reality is an extravagant palace where she keeps the tortured souls of all who have trespassed on the slopes. But if you want to know more, you're better off talking to the Old Timer" - points to a grizzled bearded man sitting alone in one of the corners. "He pretty much knows anything and everything you'd want to know about The Hill."

Patrick: There's not really room at any of the tables with the traders but there's a couple with the settlers. They look at you a bit when you sit down among them. "Eh, who're you? Another adventurer who's gonna try the Hill? Good luck!"

Bertrem: No one needs any healing, but you do overhear from one of the trader tables that there's a bubbling lake of lava beneath The Hill. The lake is the sopurce of the steam columns that often rise into the air from the many vents on the slopes' summits.

Rondo: The barkeep turns to you after talking with Si'Nat. "Meade? That'll be one silver piece."

B

BigBlue

Patrick

"Well, I only wish we have better luck than those before us." Order a round. "What do you folks do around here?" (Make small talk, rather than 'interrogate' them).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Tryin' to make a living, trapping and farming. Not much out here though, although what we do get those guys" - points to traders - "pay good coin for them. Hey, thanks for the drink."

T

train

Si'Nat

(begins to wonder if we should possibly hire some guys to join us...)

(Heads over to the Old Timer.. to see if he has a tale of the hill for me....)

"Pardon me sir...

I'm Si'Nat, they tell me you would know quite a bit about the hill... any stories you'd care to share with me?.."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Hey sonny, sit down. You want to hear about The Hill? I've heard a few things, but talking makes me thirsty...

Bertrem, in his wanderings, notices a man in robes sitting alone by a window with maps and parchments strewn about him. He has a holy symbol of a neutral adventuring god around his belt.

T

train

Si'Nat

(asks what the old timer will drink and orders one for him.... please let me know amount to deduct...)

(Bertrem - maybe he would be up to joining us?)

"bartender - a ___________ drink for the old timer please..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Thanks sonny, I'll just take an ale (for 1 sp*). Ahh... that hits the spot. Well, one thing I've heard** is that man eating ghouls prowl The Hill for food."

Looks at his empty tankard.

* 1 gp = 10 sp
** edited my previous post about The Old-Timer and the new figure that Bertrem notices.

T

train

Si'Nat

(Will buy the man a pitcher... amount please)

"What else do you know of?..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
** Pitcher will be 1 gp

"Well, thanks there sonny. Always good to know that the young revere their elders. Hmmm... let's see:
  • A firebreathing dragon lives in caves beneath The Hill
  • A bubbling lake of lava lies below The Hill. It's the source of the steam columns that often rise into the air from the many vents on the slopes' summits
  • An evil witch lives on The Hill. Her house appears to be a small hut, but in reality is an extravagant palace where she keeps the tortured souls of all who have trespasses on the slopes
  • A huge orc army is entrenched on The Hill, waiting for orders to begin a massive assault on Guido's Fort
  • There is a haunted graveyard on The Hill
  • A band of slave-trading ogres is using The Hill as a base for forays into the civilized lands
  • Many centuries ago, an old monastery was located on top of The Hill

And that's all I know. Good luck to ya."

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
The man in the robes by the window suddenly speaks in a hurried voice,"Excuse me, did you say that this hill is to the north or south of here, could you give me directions please." as he starts to write upon a sheet of parchment. "I would be pleased if you would be exact as possible. Did anyone ever describe the tunnels or the hut on the hill? Which roads lead up to the hill? Is it the only hill in the area?" He slowly becomes breathless and stops to take great gasps of air as his face slowly loses it's red color and returns to normal.

B

BigBlue

Patrick

"May your crops always be plentiful, and your traps always full." With that, I'll leave the table and head towards Rondo. I'll buy his next one. (I'll give the barkeep a gold for the round and Rondo's next one + tip).

(* Hiya Moose! Welcome to the Hill.*)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Whoa there young fella. Calm down, no need to get so excited. The Hill is actually west of us, you can see it from the docks. No one's ever come back from being on The Hill, so I can't tell you about any tunnels or hut or roads. Fishermen say there's two possible landing sites on The Hill though, but none have been brave enough to actually land at any of them. And yep, it's the only hill in the area."

Patrick: You're out a gold, a silver, and 2 coppers for the tip (since you didn't specify)

T

train

Si'Nat

(Are others here ok with the idea of hiring some hands to venture with us?... We'll need to find someone with a boat also...)

B

BigBlue

Patrick

(* I say:

No to the hands (we don't need commoners gettin' in the way or dying needlessly - especially from an already lightly populated fort)

Yes to the boat if we can hire one.

Unless you're referring to our possible new friend... We already have Kurik too. *)

** To check in, we have Rondo (Dwarf), Cugel (Thief?), Bertrem (Cleric), Si'Nat (Elf), Kurik (Fighter), Patrick (Mage), and Mooseman's character (presumably a cleric?)... anyone I'm missing? **