Axe of Mighty Striking (equipped)
Hellfire Sword
Sword of Defiance

Armor:
Light Armor

Items:
Chalice of Night

Gold: 1,322

"I am not surprised that you did not know of me. I've been here guarding the wizard crypts against necromancers who would use them for their own nefarious purposes. This was not my original purpose, but the Colleges of Magic deemed me obsolete...

That doesn't matter: you've freed me and killed those who trapped me in the first place, so it is only right that I help you. I must warn you that I fear you are in mortal danger. While my renewed freedom allows me to hold back all undead in the crypts, I cannot extend this protection much beyond that. Presumably you'll be wanting to leave at some point and return to the land of the living. I advise you to tread carefully. Recent events have, uh, complicated things around here...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
LOL

"Can you explain further? What recent events? Were the ogres your jailers? What do you know about the <book we are supposed to find, I forget the name and don't wanna flip back to find it :) >? That's all we were sent here to find..."

turgy22

Nothing Special
Hmmm... where's my lantern and Dawnstone? Also, good to see we've both recorded the same amount of gold. How many uses do I have left on the Chalice? I think it's 2.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
turgy22;291177 said:
Hmmm... where's my lantern and Dawnstone? Also, good to see we've both recorded the same amount of gold. How many uses do I have left on the Chalice? I think it's 2.
Oops, good catch. Throg does also have those two items. And that's right, he has two uses left on the Chalice of Night.

"So, you don't know anything about the graverobbers either, and you are only here for a book? Well, I can tell you that the graverobbers came looking for relics buried with ancient wizards, but their leader was killed by wandering undead. None of them who entered the crypts were necromancers, so they caught me off guard and I didn't realize that they were assembling that spirit trap until it was too late. But the only ones who survived to finish the damn thing were those ogres, and they botched it: so I was trapped but the wraiths they intended to avoid in the first place were still there. I don't know for sure what they were after, but since they assembled their protection against cursed tombs on one of the only tombs in this whole area that isn't cursed, they probably didn't have any more information about these crypts than you.

As for the danger, it is directly related to this very tomb. And yet you arrive so recently after the troubles began? How did you find out about the Levos Focus Compendium? It is here, by the way. And you are welcome to take it. But who commissioned this and why?"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"A fellow named Corticruss asked us to retrieve it for him - he said he was a previous treasure hunter but now out of the business. I guess he wanted it to sell or a patron of his asked him to get it? He didn't say.

What was your name again and why did the College of Mages put you here? What was your original purpose? And what was this spirit trap supposed to do? And what danger?"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
"Corticruss? Bah, some treasure collector acting on his own no doubt. I was hoping you had connections with more authority. But I should explain...

This is the so-called false tomb of Shalaz, although I doubt that there was ever a 'true' tomb to begin with. The Levos Focus Compendium, which has a noticeable enchantment to it, was part of a sort of bait. Shalaz faked his own death and several necromancer lords, believing that Shalaz had possessed some great secret, gathered around this tomb and attempted to summon his ghost. In reality, Shalaz was lying in wait nearby, and used the artifacts placed in this tomb as part of an elaborate spell that consumed all of the necromancers and infused Shalaz with their power.

The whole ruse was probably part of his plan for world domination or some such goal. All of this took place nearly a century ago, so it's puzzling that Shalaz has only now resurfaced. What I know for sure is that his cult has been raising an army of the undead in this region. It's been going on for months. I suspect that they plan to invade the Empire...

When they call me anything at all, it's usually just something generic like 'Crypt Guardian.' But since you ask, my original name was Per-Naurius and I was created to monitor a cursed tower in the Northern Wastes containing an unstable gateway that allowed things from other worlds to enter ours. I required some support in this role, so when someone found a cheaper solution, I was moved here for 'retirement.' And because providing me with some means of communicating with anyone in the outside world would expend precious resources, I have no means of doing so, even in emergencies. So I've watched helplessly as the undead have taken over everything around these crypts. I don't even know how many are really working for Shalaz or where he is, because I am only able to observe the land around the crypts I am supposed to guard.

Take the Levos Focus Compendium to this Corticruss person if you wish. I have no use for it. You can take anything else you find here: I have banished the spirits that the graverobbers who arrived here before you stirred with their recklesness, so this whole crypt should be safe now. Just don't open any of the tombs besides this one.

But I implore you, take also Shalaz's notes to his assistant, Orm. Find someone who is in a position to actually do something about this threat and tell them what I've told you."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
"The notes are in the cache. I don't know the purpose of every item placed in the tomb. Most of the items that were once in there turned to dust, probably when their powers were spent to fuel Shalaz's spell. But I would guess that the notes were for Orm's reference. It was a very elaborate spell and took much time to prepare. The Levos book and at least one other book were there for their enchantments. I don't know much more about it than that..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Where might we find Orm? Would he even be around after a century? And if he was Shalaz's assistant and it's a cult based around Shalaz that's causing trouble, wouldn't Orm be a part of that?"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
"I don't actually know anything about Orm other than what I've told you. Even if he's still alive and part of the cult and I've observed him in or near other parts of the crypts, I wouldn't know it because I have no idea what he looks like. Oh, there was a rumor that he betrayed Shalaz. I didn't follow up on that because when I heard it, I thought of all this as just history. History behind the oddest tomb here, but nothing I'd have to actually deal with. I suppose I assumed that the betrayal was an explanation for why Shalaz wasn't around anymore: Orm had done something that killed him. But apparently that is not the case. I don't even know if that's plausible. Some in the Colleges of Magic were looking for Orm's own private journals for some reason, but no one had found them. Maybe they should start looking again..."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
"They were looking for his journals because they thought Shalaz might be a threat and wanted more information about him. Since no one had found the journals at the time I was told all of this, I don't even know if anyone in the Colleges of Magic could help. They are the ones I would go to, though, if I had the power to leave these crypts.

Skilled necromancers are often centuries old, extending their lives beyond normal human limits. I don't even know if Orm was a necromancer, although Shalaz definitely is and Orm worked with him, so it seems likely. If Orm is part of Shalaz's cult and they're all gathered in the same area, then he's north of here, although how far north I couldn't say. Do not try to look for him, though...

While you were clearly skilled enough to defeat three ogres, which could not have been easy, a single skilled necromancer is a more dangerous foe. And if you do come across one of Shalaz's disciples, he's likely to be accompanied by undead minions. This is why I said you are in mortal danger."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Cursed undead... well, thanks for the information. So we can have anything here in this tomb including the book, correct?"

Dorgath begins searching the crypt while speaking to the others, "We were barely able to defeat the three ogres, so a confrontation with a necromancer would probably be fatal at this point. We best tread carefully."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
"Yes, all that I ask is that not open the other tombs and that you take Shalaz's notes and present them to someone you think the Empire will have cause to heed. Even if they've heard reports of the recent activity with the undead in these parts, they aren't going to connect it to a threat from several decades ago that never materialized."

[Do you mean that Dorgath opens the tomb? The device is still holding it shut. The part Throg broke didn't completely get it out of the way...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It takes two turns for Dorgath to break the rest of the device off the tomb by hand. During this time, Kelgar is able to heal the damage Throg sustained using his Ring of Jade.

Dorgath opens the tomb. Inside, covered in dust and shards of what might once have been jewels, Dorgath finds a grey orb, a circular stone of some sort, a black talisman, and several books.

There is a small brown book, a large blue and red book, a set of five black books, a green book, and a very large purple and gold book.

Status
Not open for further replies.