Warhammer Quest: Starting Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Dorgath finds that the ogres have enough gold on them for each Warrior in the party to take 300. The ghosts leave nothing behind. Throg's search of the room reveals a pale crystal set in a black iron brooch.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Woo! Now that's what I'm talking about, " says Dorgath as he gathers up the gold.

"Anyone know what this device/apparatus might do or how to use it?"

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Carrow infused with the excitement of success in battle leaps upon the tomb to take a closer look at the apparatus.
"So, what does this do?"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Throg puzzles over the brooch, patiently examining it. He knows that it has some sort of magic, but it's not any of the usual kinds.

Carrow doesn't know what to make of the top of the device, but thinks that it's probably of human or dwarf construction. It's definitely not elven.

Kelgar can't tell what the device might do other than look complicated and smell faintly of oil. It has a lot of components that look like they could move (mostly gears). But the only movement is some boiling and flowing of liquids in the glass chambers toward the top. There is no apparent source of heat to cause this. Kelgar doesn't see any switches or other obvious mechanisms that would be used to activate or control the apparatus. Since it seems to consist of separate units assembled into one large piece, it seems possible that the ogres or someone else put this thing together incorrectly...

Kelgar and Carrow both ascertain that it would be impossible to open the tomb without getting the device out of the way.

Next turn...
-The power phase is 2.
-Kelgar succeeds in attempting a blessing and can choose to heal himself (12/13), Carrow (10/13), or Dorgath (13/14, requires one of them to move so that Dorgath would be close enough to receive the blessing). Throg's recent meal has left him refreshed and he would not benefit from any attempt at healing.

Throg becomes so enthralled by the brooch that he loses track of time (Throg may not attempt any other actions this turn). He solves the question he was puzzling over: the magic from the brooch seems different because it's a very rare magic indeed.

Throg identifies a Dawnstone. The Dawnstone may be used once and is destroyed upon being used. Using it on a Warrior who has recently died will resurrect that Warrior and restore him to full Wounds.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Upon hearing that it might possibly be of dwarven construction, Dorgath leaves the door and takes a look at the device.

"Hey, someone keep watch while I look at the doo-hickey!"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Kelgar heals Carrow, who moves to keep watch by the door.

Dorgath takes a look at the apparatus, but he also finds it confusing. He suspects that it wasn't all built by one individual. The glass and crystal parts seem elaborate and alien to him. The iron rings, chains, clamps, rivets, and a few other metal sections here and there look like they could easily be dwarven, but there are many hinges and other brass pieces that look, to a dwarf eye, rather crude and flimsy.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Hmm, it looks like it was built by a partnership of more than one race, guys. I'm not really an Engineer either, to figure it out. Anyone else want to take a look?"

Dorgath will search the room for loot/other interesting objects and secret doors/passages in the meantime.

turgy22

Nothing Special
"Well, if everyone's looked at the apparatus and no one can identify it, I think it's safe to assume we should smash it."

turgy22

Nothing Special
I was going to wait for more input before actually smashing the device. Perhaps someone else has a better idea, but I think someone had to put that suggestion out there.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Let's not smash it, who knows what would happen."

Dorgath takes another look at the device and tries to see/reconstruct what the ogres were doing/attempting to do.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It's a new turn now, just to give you an idea of the passage of turns. There's no fighting going on, so I'm not emphasizing it, but I am rolling for the power phase...

Dorgath scrutinizes the device further. He still can't make sense of it, but the crystals seem like they must have something to do with magic, especially the big one, since it has a faint, unnatural glow.

Status
Not open for further replies.