Warhammer Quest: Starting Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Dorgath gives up on the orb and stone, asks everyone if it's okay to wear the Talisman as it absorbs Magic Drain energy, and offers the Sylvan epic book to the elf.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Note: The Spagyric Key is significantly thicker than any of the other books. Even though most of the pages are blurred, there seem to be at least two unblurred pages per chapter, and with dozens of chapters, I only left Dorgath reading the first unblurred part he could find. Reading more will take more turns, although right now that doesn't matter because ghosts can't attack you anymore.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Dorgath throws his hand up in the air. "I can't make heads or tails of these books. Or rather, I can a little, but sorcery/necromancy is not my dealings. Any of you magic inclined humans or elf want to take a look at them? Otherwise, I suggest we return to the original village we started out from and hand over the book and then head to the Colleges of Magic to see if we can find this Orm person."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
So I did end up losing electricity (but it's back now) and had some other stuff to take care of. For this and the tribal thread I still need to use my old computer at home. Sorry about any delays. I can PM Mooseman the same passage that Dorgath already read. If Carrow peruses the text further, he'll have to wait until I'm on the other computer to find out what it says...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Well, I don't know why some of this is blurry, but this is what I have gotten so far:
Guard this volume carefully, as without it, all spagyrites are powerless.
No world lasts forever even with proper care taken to preserve it, and with the right equipment, this Key provides a sure means of escape.
It is impossible to destroy the Key or hide it forever.
if this volume falls into the hands of your enemies, that will probably be bad for you. Perhaps not, if your enemies happen to be dumb brutes.
Those lacking spagyrites might find the spagyrite construction section useful, with one caveat. Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to construct your own spagyrites until you have, at some point in the past, used at least one existing spagyrite. I cannot be held responsible for what might happen if you do.

There are also sections on finding spagyrites, on identifying them, and on modifying them. Note that much of this, including all of the section on modification, requires the Halls of Alteration. If you lack access to your Halls of Alteration, your first priority should be killing whoever is denying you said access. If this is not possible, some alternatives are presented at the end of this section, but be careful.

If, instead, you merely cannot find your Halls of Alteration, try the section devoted to it. If it is not possible to read the introduction or the section entitled "Halls of Alteration," then consult the OPQ (Often Posed Queries).

In some circumstances, it may be...

I think we may have to find the Hall it is talking about...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Carrow finds a section toward the end marked as OPQ. It seems to address the blurriness problem, albeit not much.

OPQ posted in separate thread.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Dorgath is unable to locate any section on the Halls of Alteration. If such a section exists in the book, it must be blanked out. He also notices that none of the pages actually are actually numbered (despite what the OPQ stated). But turning to where he thinks the 100th page would be and looking for anything that doesn't appear blurry reveals a diagram. It indicates that spagyrites are perfect tetrahedrons in shape and usually have a slight luster. There does not appear to be any information about color or opacity or texture, but there is a rough scale which allows Dorgath to estimate that a spagyrite should be about two inches long.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Well, I guess we would need to kill the person blocking access to the Halls of Alteration in the book. No idea who that could be though... maybe we should keep this on the back-burner and go to the Colleges of Magic.

Wait, apparation (whom I forgot the name and don't want to page back for it), do you know anything about spagyrites and who might be blocking access to the Halls of Alteration?"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
"Actually, I never understood the purpose of that book, nor where it comes from. Quite the oddity, but far from the only oddity I've seen in these crypts. It may, on the surface, look like any other book to your eyes, but I can easily sense that it has origins in another world. I do not know how it got here or how Shalaz came to possess it."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"I'm out of ideas... let's go back and give this book back to whats-his-name and then continue on to the College of Magic, guys."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
You ascend the staircase with no problems and head back through the corridor with no signs of the undead. On reaching the area where the wraiths and ghosts had been swarming around tombs, you see that they are indeed gone, as the Crypt Guardian said. The corpses are still there, though. Carrow spots a nice looking bow and enough arrows to refill his quiver on the body of an elf in the eastern chamber...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Whoa, whoa, back up. Those tombs are empty now? I thought the guardian meant he could just keep them contained, not drive them away. If they're empty, let's search them for any loot and search the bodies... let's start with the first chamber on the right after climbing the stairs."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Searching the bodies proves somewhat baffling. All of the fallen are wearing crude, generic armor. Most of them are armed only with clubs or long daggers. No symbols revealing the nature of these men, no note detailing just what their mission was. Almost all of them are humans, though. How they died seems clear, though. Having experienced the chilling attacks that the ghosts here use, you surmise that these unfortunate souls died painfully from greater amounts of what only managed to wound you, probably because the wraiths have a stronger chilling attack than the ghosts.

There are a total of 37 corpses: three dwarves and one elf. The rest are human. The elf is better equipped than his companions. Perhaps he was some sort of leader. He carries the only quality weapons in the whole group: a beautiful red bow and a fine steel dagger. Between him and the rest of the bodies, you also find a total of 50 gold.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Dorgath is a little disappointed that he couldn't find any quality dwarven weapons.

"Let's divvy up the gold, give the elf the weapons, and get on out of here."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Giving you the benefit of the doubt, because Dorgath did express a desire to check both of the unexplored tomb chambers along the corridor. You probably would have been sure to state you were checking the west chamber before leaving if the map weren't so far back in the thread.

The other chamber has a similar situation. Fewer bodies though, this time there are 20 and they're all human, except one, which is an orc! A few of these men were slightly better equipped. Searching the bodies turns up another 50 gold as well as the following items...

-A jar for incense.
-Two pairs of weaponized boots (they have blades for inflicting some nasty wounds).
-Another runestone similar to the one Dorgath found earlier in the dungeon.
-A lustrous white stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.