Team-made set...

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

How about Decaying Djinn? That's more in flavor with black, since Archaic Djinn could be any color, and this is a decidedly black concept...

I am sorry for neglecting to say this before, but Boneyard Monstrosity should return a card from a graveyard to hand, because that seems more in fitting with the theme established by "Boneyard."

F

FoundationOfRancor

Decaying Jjinn 4BB (By Thallid)
Creature - Jjinn
When Decaying Jjinn comes into play, sacrifice two creatures. If you don't sacrifice Decaying Jjinn.
BB: Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature and a -1/-1 counter on a nontoken creature you control.
Decaying Jjinn can't be blocked except by black and/or artifact creatures.
3/3

Look pretty cool by me....

And actually, thats what I orignally ment boneyard monstrosity to do/....speaking of which, dont you love his name? I do...

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I find it important that we get the correct wording on cards rather early on because that way we won't have to fix them later. With that said here is my take on how we should use the black cards chosen thus far:

Assassin's Mistress - 2B
Creature - Mistress
At the end of your turn, if a creature wasn’t put into a graveyard from play this turn, sacrifice a creature.
She knows all too well when to speak, when to sleep, when to strike.
4/3 (Original version by DÛke)
(BTW, this card was what I meant about sacrificing things you control. Something about this card doesn't scream humble though.)
----------------------------------------------------
Beyond Will 3B Instant
Choose a creature. Destroy it. It can't be regenerated.
"There’s no place like home - the grave." (Original version by DÛke)
Boneyard Monstrosity 2BB Creature - Abomination
Flying
Sacrifice Boneyard Monstrosity: Return a black card in your graveyard to your hand.
2/1 (Original version by FoundationofRancor)
Decaying Djinn 4BB Creature - Djinn
When Decaying Djinn comes into play. sacrifice two creatures. If you don't, sacrifice Decaying Djinn.
BB: Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature and a -1/-1 counter on target creature you control.
Decaying Djinn can't be blocked except by black and/or artifact creatures.
Its sole purpose in life has always been death. Thousands of years have not weakened its love of this.
3/3 (Original version by linsivvi)
Doomsday Demon 2BBB Creature - Demon
When Doomsday Demon leaves play, if it has a Doom counter on it, you lose the game.
When Doomsday Demon is put into a graveyard from play, put it back into play under its owner’s control, and put a Doom counter on it.
It's not the beginning of the end. It's the end.
5/4 (Original version by DÛke)
Erotic Nightstalker - 2BB (Creator: Düke)
Creature - Stalker
2B: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature an opponent controls, and Erotic Nightstalker gains +X/+Y until end of the turn, where X is that creature's power, and Y is its toughness. Use this ability only once each turn.
2/2
"He undermines her value, parading her shy security, while gribbing on her innocence."
Evil Majestry - 1BB
Enchant creature
When Evil Majestry comes into play, sacrifice a creature.
Enchanted creature gets +4/+4.
During your upkeep, lose 1 life. (Original version by Ransac)
Lamentation - 1B Instant
You can’t play Lamentation unless a permanent you controlled was put into the graveyard from play this turn.
Look at target player’s hand and choose a card there. Remove that card from the game.
"Pretend you never had it." (Original version by DÛke)
Mental Scrutiny - B (Creator: Düke)
Sorcery
Look at target player's hand.
You may pay 3. If you do, that player discards 2 cards at random from his or her hand.
They defile the dignity of the natural mind, seeking to extract anything of value. (Original version by DÛke)
Reaper of the Dead 3BB Creature - Reaper
Reaper of the Dead has power equal to the number of creature cards in all graveyards. If a creature card with flying is in a graveyard, Reaper of the Dead gains flying.
BB, Remove a creature card in your graveyard from the game: Regenerate Reaper of the Dead.
From every lost hope, every dream deferred, every sorrowful wail, it draws its strength.
*/3 (Original version by NeuroDeus)
Reckless Nimrod - 4BB (Creator: Düke)
Creature - Nimrod
Reckless Nimrod's power is equal to 7 minus the total number of creature cards in all graveyards, and its toughness is equal to 5 minus the total number of creatures cards in all graveyards.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay 3B. If you do, destroy target non-black creature. It can’t be regenerated.
It can do almost anything but can feel nothing.
7-*/5-* (Original version by DÛke)
Rueful Spirit - 2BB
Creature - Spirit
Flying
B: Rueful Spirit gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
2/1 (Original version by Ransac)
Serial Assassin - 1BB Creature - Assassin
When Serial Assassin comes into play, choose target tapped creature.
B, TAP: Destroy the chosen creature. Then choose target tapped creature.
1/1 (Original version by me)
Strikesky Minion - 2B (Creator: DÛke)
Creature - Minion
At the beginning of your upkeep, pay 1 or sacrifice Strikesky Minion.
If you paid R, Strikesky Minion has first strike until end of the turn.
If you paid U, Strikesky Minion has flying until end of the turn.
3/2 (Original version by DÛke)
Taunting Assassin - 1BB
Creature - Assassin
At the beginning of your upkeep, destroy all creatures with +1/+1 counters on them. They can’t be regenerated.
B,Tap: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature. Play this ability as a sorcery.
It derives its sole pleasure in offering hope to its victims before taking it away in one fell swoop.
1/1 (Original version by DÛke)
Other notes: We might as well take Intellect Crush out, it being little more than an expensive version of Addle.

FoR: Other than the fact that a 2/1 creature isn't necessarily a "monstrosity", the name is really cool.

I am fully aware that I will come under fire for this, but I deem it necessary. Say whatever you will.

I

Istanbul

How about this version of Dynamite?

Dynamite 4
Artifact
When Dynamite comes into play, put two fuse counters on it.
Remove a fuse counter during your upkeep.
2, T: Remove a fuse counter from Dynamite.
T, Sacrifice Dynamite: Choose one; either destroy target creature; or Dynamite deals 6 damage to target player.

You can speed up the blast if you want...and while Dynamite really ought to just flat-out blow up a creature, 6 damage to a player is quite nice for 4 mana.

-

Denuding Plans should be 2RG.
Thought Lease should be an instant, only playable during target opponent's upkeep.
Dishearted Savior is balanced.
River of Souls should tap for a colorless, but only add life when a creature enters play.
There's already a card called Liberate.

-

Zombie Priest is balanced. And is fine as 'Decaying Djinn'.

-

Intellect Crush is just a more expensive Addle? Right. Spoken like someone who'se never played against Recursion. It stays.

D

DÛke

...Thallid Ice Cream Man, some of your rewordings are so, um...nothing. Like, in Beyond Will...you changed it from: "Target player sacrifices a creature of your choice" into your own version, like my version was wrong or something. I don't think it's wrong...we've already had a card "Diabolic Edict", which reads: "Target player chooses and sacrifices a creature", do you think that's the wrong wording? I don't. I think my wording was fine...

Oh, and I don't see what you mean by your comment about Assassin's Mistress.

Istanbul, Intellect Crush is good...but who'd play it? I would...[laughs] as a sideboard. There's always a >>good<< discard spell. In the Saga Block, we got Duress. In MM, Unmask. In Invasion, Addle. Your Intellect Crush is good, don't get me wrong, but it's >>just<< an overcoasted SoB against most other decks, against White, Blue, and most Green and Red decks. Again, don't blow your head off because I said that...it is good, but it needs its flexibility pill before becoming more than a sideboard card. [Wonders] I think we should make it an Instant. It >>is<< an "Intellect Crush" after all.

Now, for the new cards, fasten your seat belts, because I got cards a Magic player would never dream of...I'll post them some time later; kind of busy right now.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Ist: I agree with all your changes, except for Denuding Plans. I don't want it green. It doesn't fit green.

So, the new correct versions of the cards...

---------------------------------------------
Denuding Plans (Original by FoR)
1RB
Instant
Destroy all Swamps in play. You lose 1 life for each swamp lost in this manner.
Destroy all plains in play, or all islands in play.
----------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------
Thought Lease (Original by FoR)
1U
Instant
You may only play this during your opponents upkeep.
Remove the top three cards of your library from the game. Any opponent may play these cards as though they were in his hand. At the end of your turn, put the remaining cards removed from the game into your hand.
------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------
River of Souls (Original by FoR)
Land
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.
Whenever a creature enters play, gain 1 life.

[I was thinking of adding a CIPT thing, but I decided against it, what do you all think? -FoR]
-------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------
Emancipate (Original by FoR)
G
Instant
Regenerate target land.
Draw a card.
--------------------------------------------------

Does that look good to everybody? Oh, and on Beyond Will, DUkes wording is less messy.

Oh, and maybe we should change the name of Erotic Nightstalker to Lecherous Nightstalker...crazy suggestion here.

PS: The new spell checker is awesome!

F

FoundationOfRancor

When looking over the card intellect crush, I noticed it was superior to Addle in the "remove from the game" feature. I got to thinking why that would be helpful, and I came up with this card:

--------------------------------------------------------
Reiterate
U
Instant
When Reiterate is successfully cast, you may pay 1U, if you do, return up to 3 Reiterate's from your graveyard to your hand.
Draw a card.
------------------------------------------------------------

An interesting card. To make it a mono-blue spell, we could have the resurrection cost be UU, but since were promoting multicolor in this set, maybe we should make it 2. Perhaps even 3. What so you guys think?

I

Istanbul

All discard is Sorcery-speed for a reason. Instant won't work.
You say it's not flexible enough? Okay, how about this?

Intellect Crush 1BB
Sorcery
When you play Intellect Crush, choose a color.
Look at target player's hand.
Choose one; either remove a card of the chosen color from the game; or that player discards a non-land card of your choice.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Assassin's Mistress: When Duster posted his version of this card, it said "Sacrifice target creature you control." You can't sacrifice something you don't control.
Beyond Will: It's really a matter of personal preference how you want to word this, but considering that more people seem to agree with DÛke, we can use his version.
Intellect Crush: How about this version?

Intellect Crush
BBB
Sorcery
Look at target player's hand and choose a card there. Remove it from the game.

Several people have complained about Coercion costing too much, so here is a version which can provide an added bonus.

D

DÛke

Ok, Thallid Ice Cream Dude...I think we'll have a bit of a problem hea'...I look at the cards we've made, and I don't find the original feel in them...Reckless Nimrod was meant to have equal power and toughness; I’m the creator of the card, and I have a reason for makin’ everything that you see on a card, especially when it’s my card. How do you come about makin’ him a 7/5 creature? Now, we discussed the Nimrod’s problems, and we settled at a 6/6, not a 7/5…I demand my original version to be on the set…we all had the chance to make Reckless Nimrod whatever we wanted…we settled for a 6/6…I wont have it any other way. No way. This also happens in some of the other cards too…when it’s time to criticize the card, not many participate…then when it is too late, it is TOO late…and I’m sorry for being cruel, but when I say: “here are some cards, see what’s wrong with them” I really mean it…Reckless Nimrod is a 6/6; that a final. An issue settled is never to show again.

Istanbul…no, you don’t see what I’m sayin’. Intellect Crush is good; don’t get me wrong…you do not need to change it, at all. Keep the original version…it’s also less empowering than your latest one.

F

FoundationOfRancor

I was kind of curious about that.
Since no one seemed to notice my latest card, here it is:

--------------------------------------------------------
Reiterate
U
Instant
When Reiterate is successfully cast, you may pay 1U, if you do, return up to 3 Reiterate's from your graveyard to your hand.
Draw a card.
------------------------------------------------------------
I really like it. Scroll up to find my comments...

Also, as soon as the dust settles, why don't you submit those new cards of those Duke?

D

DÛke

...is better than freakin' Whispering Muse. Sure, you do need to actually HAVE the extra Reiterates in your graveyard, but after that...you'd have an endless amount of cards...I'm sorry, but that's just too good.

Yes, it does make Intellect Crush better, but...the point is making cards that stand on their own, or need little support of the current environment inorder to become moderatly playable. That's what I think.

Istanbul, could you make a set of "super charms", like the Blue one? I like it...it's calling for a cycle.

FoR, Hinder is pretty good...how about a card like that for each color? Good...

Everyone else, where the heck are your cards at? Submit, dang it!

Anyway, here are some of my ideas:
___
Orthodox Heretic 3UU (3/3)
Creature - Prophet
As Orthodox Heretic comes into play, put an Orthodox counter on all permanents, or put a Heretic counter on all permanents.
UU, Tap: Return target permanent without an Orthodox counter back to owner's hand.
UU, Tap: Return target permanent with a Heretic counter back to owner's hand.
"Concealed in traditional believes while accepting new ones."
___
Orthodox Phalanx (3GW) (10/10)
Creature - Phalanx
As Orthodox Phalanx comes into play, put an Orthodox counter on all permanents.
Whenever a permanent comes into play, put a -1/-1 counter on Orthodox Phalanx.
3GW, put a -1/-1 counter on Orthodox Phalanx, Tap: Destroy target permanent without an Orthodox counter.
___
Heretic Phalanx (3BR) (15/15)
Creature - Phalanx
As Heretic Phalanx comes into play, put a -1/-1 counter on it for each permanent in play, and put a Heretic counter on all permanents.
As a permanent comes into play, put a +1/+1 counter on Heretic Phalanx.
3BR, put a -1/-1 counter on Heretic Phalanx, Tap: Destroy target permanent with a Heretic counter.
___
Frantic Mage (3UU) (3/4)
Creature - Mage
UU, sacrifice Frantic Mage or pay 4, Tap or pay 1: Counter target spell.
___
Igniting Spirit (3RR) (3/3)
Creature - Mage
XR, sacrifice Igniting Spirit or pay 3, Tap or pay 1: Igniting Spirit deals X damage to target creature or player.
___
Suicidal Assassin (3BB) (4/3)
Creature - Assassin
2B, sacrifice Suicidal Assassin or pay 3, Tap or pay 1: Destroy target non-Black creature. It can't be regenerated.
___

I have plenty more...I don't want to overwhelm you guys. Wait until you see some of the other abilities I've got...they sure will add a "punch" to the environment. :)

I know some of the cards maybe confusing...but read them carefully, and imagen playing them...don't just come out and scream: "broken". I made sure I gave a quite a good thought to each card, making sure how it'd be played, and what it could do...and HOW it does it.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Before I look at these new cards, lets just bring up the resurrection cost...I kind of forgot about Whispering Muse. How about a resurrection cost of 2UU? Or 3UU?

D

DÛke

...FoR, your card is better than Whispering Muse. You could give it (5) or (4U) for the resurrection, and then, maybe, you'd have a card as good as Whispering Muste...otherwise, it's better...this is reminding me of Buy Back, so...to counter this flash of the past, why not do this:

Reiterate (1U)
Instant
At the beginning of your upkeep step, if Reiterate is in your hand, you may pay 3, B, or W and reveal Reiterate to all players. If you do, search your library for a Reiterate card and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Draw a card.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Whoa, Duke...a lot of these cards are crazy.

___
Frantic Mage (3UU) (3/4)
Creature - Mage
UU, sacrifice Frantic Mage or pay 4, Tap or pay 1: Counter target spell.
___

-So basically this card reads:
Frantic Mage (3uu) 3/4
UU, Sac: Counter target spell
4T: Counter target spell
1: Counter target spell

That's if I read it correctly, which I probably didn't. You know, when a double ability is on a permanent as opposed to a non-permanent, it's easier to separate them.

If I am reading this correctly, its pointless. The same goes for all the cards with this ability...

Onward...

Orthodox Heretic: wouldn't it be easier to word it like this:

___
Orthodox Heretic 3UU (3/3)
Creature - Prophet
UU,T: Return target permanent to owners hand.
___

I mean, maybe if the costs were different of the actual effect was different for the Orthodox/Heretic counters, but there not. We should word it like this (Which is very powerful as it is), or shake up what the card actually does (branch off from the return to hand thing.)

Off the top of my head, heres something:

___
Orthodox Heretic 5U (3/3)
Creature - Prophet
As Orthodox Heretic comes into play, put an Orthodox counter on all permanents, or put a Heretic counter on all permanents.
UU, Tap: Return target permanent without an Orthodox counter back to owner's hand.
2, Tap: Return target permanent with a Heretic counter back to owner's hand. That player draws a card.
___

What do you think Duke?

Orthodox Phalanx: Way to powerful, because of their power and toughness. 4 Mana for a 10/10 with a small drawback.

Heretic Phalanx: Pretty good...I would change the "Whenever a spell is played, get a +1+1" to "Whenever a spell your opponent plays, get a +1+1"

Now, this is all considering that I read these cards correctly, which I think I did. What do you think Duke? Oh, and sure, ill make a cycle of cards with a Hinder like effect. What about a dishearted savior cycle instead though? I think that would be more interesting...

D

DÛke

...didn't read >>any<< of those cards correctly.

Orthodox Heretic does NOT basically read: "UU, Tap: Boomerang"...nope...What is does is, when it comes into play, you either choosse an Orthodox version, or a Heretic one. If you read the card correctly, the Orthodox version DOES NOT allow NEW permanents to enter play...that's because it's an "orthodox". If you choose to play the Heretic version, then...you'd be able to return any OLD permanent, but NOT new ones...since, Heretic's usually accept NEW, eccentric ideas...get it? Probably not...:)

Orthodox Phalanx IS actually too powerful now that I look at it...the only thing we need to do is make it a 6/6. That's all.

Heretic Phalanx isn't too powerful, and I think your suggestion could make it a bit weaker. It already gains -1/-1 for EACH permanent in play...that means that when it comes into play, instead of being a 15/15, it would probably be like, a 7/7 or something...which is kind of weak...not really...how about making it 13/13? I feel more safe than it being a 15/15.

And...for the biggest mistake you've made...

Frantic Mage (and the similar cards)...

Basically what Frantic Mage does is:

UU, sacrifice Frantic Mage, Tap: Counter target spell.

>>OR

4UU, Tap: Counter target spell.

>>OR

5UU: Counter target spell.

Note: "UU, sacrifice Frantic Mage or pay 4, Tap or pay 1: Counter target spell." When I added the commas between each "activasion cost", I meant that you'd have to PAY that cost, or whatever it provides you to pay...like, you HAVE to pay UU, but you don't have to pay 4, you could sacrifice the Mage instead...THEN, you'd either have to TAP the Mage, OR pay 1...which does come in hand, especailly with Blue...

F

FoundationOfRancor

I cant seem to reply to threads, and I know that if I hold on to these idea's, ill forget them. So, here goes...

Yes, I did read some of those cards correctly. And the mere fact that I didn't read them all correctly should worry you, because that means that there overly confusing.

Orthodox Heretic: I get it now, LoL, sorry about the confusion. I'm not sure why anyone would ever choose the Orthodox...
Also, the simple UU ability might be too little. I would make it 2U.

Orthodox Phalanx: This dude is way to powerful. Its basically 3GW for a 10/10 guy with something less than Cumulative upkeep: Put a -1-1 counter in this dude. There is a card like this, its called Aboroth, and he's not as powerful as this dude, and he costs one more Mana! I would make him an 8/8...may 8/9.

[I just noticed that Duke suggest making this guy a 6/6 in an earlier post. I agree, maybe even 7/7. Sorry I didn't notice it straight off -FoR]

Heretic Phalanx: On average, when this guy is played, he's a 5/5 guy...at most. Which is ok at the 5 Mana cost, and his ability. But then the crazy counter thing starts, and not only does this guy grow, but you get to force your opponent out of playing spells! Maybe make the thing say "As a permanent your opponent controls comes into play, put a +1+1 counter on this creature." I would also make his p/t a little bit bigger, not by much though...

Frantic Mage: This card is impossible to read. I would make it three separate abilities...like this:

Frantic Mage (3UU) (3/4)
Creature - Mage
UU, sacrifice Frantic Mage: Counter target spell
4UU, T: Counter target spell.
5UU: Counter target spell.

Its kind of repetitive, but its the only way for the card to make sense...

Reiterate: Where did you get this? I don't want to just make it a cantrip with the Hinder ability. I like the first version, but I admit it's costly...here:

Reiterate
U
Instant
When Reiterate is successfully cast, you may pay 7, if you do, return up to 3 Reiterate's from your graveyard to your hand.
Draw a card.

Or maybe 5UU? Or maybe even 8? What do you think Duke?

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Changes to Black cards: Sorry, you don't have to use my versions of these cards at all. I definitely should have looked up Reckless Nimrod. 6-*/6-* it stays. Do you have any problems with any other cards that I need to fix?
But we should change Assassin's Mistress, because unless otherwise specified, "sacrifice a creature" implies a creature you control. (Your version didn't have that problem anyway, Duster's did, and that wording is kind of pointless.)

Intellect Crush can stay, I suppose, but remember that it is little more than a sideboard card, being only better than Addle against recursion (making it little more than an expensive Addle, which is what I said in the first place.)

Orthodox Heretic: It is essentially what FoR said, because unless you are playing against someone who has more of these cards, you can just put Heretic counters on everything, and bounce anything that doesn't have an Orthodox counter on it, which should be just about anything.
Frantic Mage et al: While I don't think the cards are stupid, the current wordings might be prone to misunderstanding. How about this version of the Mage:
Frantic Mage
UU, Tap: Counter target spell. You may pay 4. If you don't, sacrifice Frantic Mage. You may pay 1. If you do, untap Frantic Mage.
(I added the untap thingie so that a player who doesn't have the mana can't activate it as soon as they want without paying 1.)

This isn't set in stone, so what do you think?
The rest of your cards are balanced and very interesting.

D

DÛke

...the PAIN!

Orthodox Heretic CAN NOT return ANY permanent back to owner's hand.

Here's, again, how this badboy works:

You play the creature...then, you choose Orthodox or Heretic.

If you choose Orthodox, all permanents in play would have an Orthodox counter on them...

Ok so far?

New permanents that come into play, that DON'T have an Orthodox counter them, may be returned back to owner's hand, SINCE they DON'T have an Orhtodox counter on them...YOU can't return a permanent WITH an Orthodox counter on it. Basically, when you pick Orthodox, it means that you DON'T like newly played permanents, and therefore, the Orthodox version will punish those who play A LOT of permanents.

If you choose the Heretic version, HOWEVER...it's a different story. The Heretic version LIKES the newly played permanents. It accepts them, and can't do anything to them, BUT it does hate ALREADY played permanents. So when you choose the Heretic version, you could, basically, return any permanent that IS IN PLAY at the time you play the Orthodox Heretic creature. New permanents are SAFE when you play with the Heretic
version, but the old ones are NOT.

Does this help? It's NOT the same...Heretic means you accept new played permanents butyou will harass all the older ones, while the Orthodox version means that YOU LIKE the older permanents, but you will harass the NEW ones.

Do you get it? It's not that hard...

Where's Istanbul? If he doesn't get it, then I would think it could be MY fault...

Did you get Istanbul? The first time? Second? Not yet?

TICM, yes, your version of Frantic Mage (and the rest of the similar cards) is fine. I'll be toying with that ability a bit inorder to make it more solid, and more...um...comprehensible. :)

C

Cateran Emperor

Hrmm, might I take a crack at Phyrexian Overlord?

'insert name of primary black power in here' Overlord
4BB
Creature - 'whatever we end up with as the black race'
When ~ comes into play, sacrifice any number of creatures you control with combined toughness 6 or greater.
~ cannot be the target of white or green spells or abilities.
BB: Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn. If that creature's toughness is 2 or less, instead put a -1/-1 counter on that creature.
4/3

My reasoning is that you'll have to have a huge mana investment to kill any considerable creature, but you can still use its ability temporarily.

On a corollary, can we get someone working on the plot here? Or at least come up with the species that represents each color? It's difficult to make cards if I can't picture what I'm trying to fit.