Team-made set...

C

Cateran Emperor

CT's much closer to a good Serial Assasin, but let's try this:

Serial Assassin
1BB
Creature - Assasin (we'll try some other type later I guess); 1/2
B: Put a Pattern counter on target creature. No more than one Pattern counter may be in play at any time.
T: Destroy target creature with any Pattern counters on it.

The reason it simple: the chain stops if a creature gains Untargetability in response, since the Pattern counter then fizzles. So take the first half and seperate it to keep the same effect, but now the chain can't be broken.

D

DÛke

...thanks for your work Duster.

...Duster...but, but...I thought I was the Black master? Oh well...I guess I'll do, um...Gold? Yeah, I guess...Istanbul, I would like to take the Blue and do what Duster did, BUT...would you like to take the Blue yourself? If you do, I'll take the Gold cards, if you don't...[drools] I'll take the Blue. :)

I like Cateran's version of Serial Assassin more than Chaos; sorry Turtle. :)

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I was acting childish.... I'll stop now. I wish to apologize to anyone who feels a sense of enmity with me regarding this for whatever reason. No one wants any hatred of indeterminate fervor towards anyone here, so I deem that apology necessary.

Moon Jellyfish was supposed to be 2/2, but it could be something else if anyone wants to argue.

I personally prefer CT's version. The point was that the chain could be broken, so that the card wasn't broken. The ability to choose a new target should only be enabled after the first target is killed. I have an idea for the flavor text though... "Target successfully fragged, sir!"

Zealous Paladin: What exactly do you mean by "fish out?" It isn't a rebel. Do you mean by using Worldly Tutor or something? Nothing white can fish it out, if I understand you correctly. I agree that in certain circumstances its ability can seem overpowering. However, how would I fix it? A reduction of power and toughness? Almost anything else would alter the flavor of the card.
Maybe it should just be "Tap all creatures," although that would make it more trite.

Maybe we should wait until a storyline (if there will be one; has that been discussed?) has been written for this set before we argue over the specific names, creature types, and other information regarding the cards. Obviously some of the creatures I designed, for example, wouldn't be kavus if they were used; there might end up being a possiblity that another type of creature is created or used for them.

Pastoral Reprieve: This card was made as a direct response to Purify. I had thought previously that white should not have mass destruction of every type of permanent. Obviously, because of this, Pastoral Reprieve is not an original card, nor is it necessarily totally balanced; the reactionary stance which I took towards Purify made me less than willing to create something that was perfectly balanced. If there is strong reaction to it, I will gladly accept its departure from the set.

In past years, there was strong opposition to Armageddon and Wrath of God being white cards, as their abilities seemed out of flavor for white. Almost no one says this now. However, Purify seems even more out of flavor for white, which has neither a Shatterstorm nor a Tranquility equivalent, and I thought that G/R should have this card instead. The cantrip part might be removed, but putting its cost up to five or more would defeat its entire purpose. If anyone is that worried about artifacts and enchantments, they could use Purify and avoid having to play two extra colors to deal with them.

Necromantic Spy: There are six card types: artifact, creature, enchantment, instant, land, and sorcery. The use of card type is not a new concept; see Blood Oath.

Bob:
Dynamite: This does seem a little weak to me. Having to wait for such a long time for such a small effect seems like a negligible benefit, if one at all.
Might I suggest something which is admittedly different?

Dynamite
Artifact
Dynamite comes into play tapped.
Tap: Put a fuse counter on dynamite.
3, Tap, Remove two fuse counters from Dynamite, Sacrifice Dynamite: Dynamite deals 9 damage to target player.

That is a lot of damage for 4 mana but anyone knows it's coming and if the opponent has a way of dealing with it it's useless. Of course, my changing it so much might cause a problem.

Your other two cards seem very good. This is good work.

Here is another card which might be considered - or might be considered broken.

Granger Hermit
GGG
Creature - Hermit
Tap: Search your library for a land card and put it into play. Shuffle your library. Play this ability only if no lands have come into play under your control since the beginning of your last upkeep.
Whenever a land comes into play, put Granger Hermit on the top of owner's library.
He treats the land as kin - fear his fights with it.
1/3

D

Duster

Hey DUke, Black just happens to be where I started as it's the first alphabetical color. Like I meant to say, the cards certainly aren't finished and I hope to generate some further discussion with them to iron out some details, wording and maybe even change entire cards that I may have botched up, I'm certainly not perfect.
My next post will be the black list, again, it will be a LONG Post, sorry :)

S'all,
Dustin

D

Duster

1. Phyrexian Overlord - 4BB (Creator: linsivvi)
Creature-Phyrexian
When it comes into play, sacrifice 2 creatures or sacrifice it
BB Target creature gets -1-1 until end of turn
Phyrexian Overlord can only be blocked by black and artifact creatures
4/4

Revised as:

Sordid Zombie - 3B
Creature - Zombie
When ~this~ comes into play, target creature you control gets –1/-1 until end of turn.
~this~ can only be blocked by black and artifact creatures
3/2
“The living pain upon the awakening of pure filth.”

----------------------------------------------------

2. Reaper of the Dead - 3BB (Creator: Neurodeus)
Creature - Evil Spirit
Reaper of the Dead's power equal to the number of creatures in all graveyards. If a creature with flying is in a graveyard Reaper of the Dead gains flying.
BB, Remove a creature from your graveyard from the game: Regenerate Reaper of the Dead.
*/3

Revised as:

Reaper of the Fallen - 3BB
~this~’s power is equal to the number of creatures in all graveyards.
If any creature with flying is in any graveyard, ~this~ gains flying.
BB, Remove a creature from your graveyard from the game : Regenerate Reaper of the Dead.
*/3

3. Boneyard Monstrosity - 2BB (Creator: FoR)
Creature- Abomination
Flying
Sacrifice Boneyard Monstrosity: Return a black card to your hand.
2/1

Revised as:

Boneyard Monstrosity – 3B
Creature- Abomination
Flying
Sacrifice ~this~: Return any black card you control from play to your hand.
2/1

4. Doomsday Demon - 2BBB (Creator: Düke)
Creature – Demon
When Doomsday Demon leaves play, if it has a Doom counter on it, you lose the game.
When Doomsday Demon is put into a graveyard from play, put it back into play under owner’s control, and put a Doom counter on it.
5/5
"It's not the beginning of the end. It's the end."

Revised as:

Doomsday Demon - 2BBB
Creature – Demon
If ~this~ is put into any graveyard from play, return ~this~ to play under it’s owner’s control and put a Doomsday counter on ~this~.
If there is a Doomsday counter on this and ~this~ leaves your control or is put into any graveyard from play, you lose the game.
4/4
?Someone? sighed, “I only wish they marked the beginning of the end.”

5. Lamentation - 1B (Creator: Düke)
Instant
You can’t play Lamentation unless a permanent you control was put into the graveyard from play this turn.
Look at target player’s hand and choose a card there. Remove that card from the game.
"Pretend as if you never had it."

Revised as:

Lamentation - 1B
Instant
~this~ can be only during a turn in which any ability or spell any opponent controls causes any permanent you control to be put into your graveyard from play.
Look at target player’s hand and choose a card there. Target player then removes that card from the game.
"Just pretend as if you never had it."

6. Beyond Will - 3B (Creator: Düke)
Instant
Target player sacrifices a creature of your choice.
“For you, there’s nothing like home – the grave.”

Revised as:

Beyond Will - 3B (Creator: Düke, Status: In, TR: Common)
Instant
Target player sacrifices a creature of your choice. This effect does not target the sacrificed creature.
“The grave will embrace you as did your mother, again you’ll feel at home.”

7. Reckless Nimrod - 4BB (Creator: Düke)
Creature – Nimrod
Reckless Nimrod gains -1/-1 for each creature in all graveyards.
At the beginning of your upkeep step, you may pay 3B. If you do, destroy target non-black creature. It can’t regenerate.
7/7
“Designed with a mind; no heart.”

Revised as:

Reckless Nimrod - 4BB
Creature – Nimrod
~this~’s power and toughness are equal to 6 minus the number of creatures in all graveyards.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay 3B. If you do, destroy target non-black creature. It can’t regenerate.
6-*/6-*
“Created with no heart in mind; A mind without heart.”

8. Taunting Assassin - 1BB (Creator: Düke)
Creature – Assassin
At the beginning of your upkeep step, destroy all creatures with a +1/+1 counters on them. Those creatures can’t regenerate.
Tap: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature. Play this ability as a Sorcery.
2/1
“Not many lived long enough to enjoy it.”

Revised as:

Taunting Assassin - 2BB
Creature – Assassin
Tap: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature. Play this ability as a Sorcery.
At the beginning of your upkeep, destroy all creatures with a +1/+1 counter. These creatures cannot regenerate.
1/1
He’ll build you up just to bring you down.

9. Assassins’ Mistress - 2B (Creator : Düke)
Creature – Mistress
At the end of your turn, if a creature wasn’t put into a graveyard from play this turn, sacrifice a creature.
4/3
“Humble, intelligent, powerful - heartless - treacherous, criminal, killer.”

Revised as:

Assassin’s Mistress - 2B
Creature – Mistress
If at the end of your turn a creature wasn’t put into a graveyard from play this turn, sacrifice a creature you control.
4/3
“One word?” said ?someone?, “I can think of a few; Intelligent , heartless and merciless come to mind.”

10. Evil Majestry - 1BB (Creator: Ransac)
Enchant creature
When Evil Majestry comes into play, sacrifice a creaure.
Enchanted creature gains +4/+4.
Lose one life during controller's upkeep

Revised as:

Forbidden Icon - 1BB
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gets +3/+1.
Enchanted creature’s controller loses one life during his or her upkeep.
A secretive strength surprises all, even the boon’s recipient.

11. Doom Spirit - 3BB (Creator: Ransac)
Creature-Spirit
Flying
B: Doom Spirit gains +1/+1 until end of turn
2/3

Revised as:

Ruing Spirit - 2BB
Creature - Spirit
Flying
B: ~this~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
2/1

12. Intellect Crush - 1BB (Creator: Istanbul)
Sorcery
When you play Intellect Crush, choose a color.
Look at target player's hand, and select a card of the chosen color. That card is removed from the game.
"To be erased, to be removed, to be undone. That is your fate."

Revised as:

Intellect Crush - 1BB
Sorcery
Choose a color.
Look at target player's hand and choose a card of that color from it. That player removes that card from the game.
"To be erased, to be removed, to be undone. That is your fate."

13. Insecure Judgment - B (Creator: Düke)
Sorcery
Look at target player's hand, and then you may pay 3.
If you do, that player discards 2 cards at random from his or her hand.

Revised as:

Mind Reaving - B
Sorcery
Look at target player's hand.
You may pay 3. If you do, that player discards 2 cards at random from his or her hand.
Chances are you’ll walk away from a mind reading session, a mind reaving session on the other hand...

14. Erotic Nightstalker - 2BB (Creator: Düke)
Creature - Stalker
2: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature an opponent controls, and Erotic Nightstalker gains +X/+Y until end of the turn, where X is that creature's power, and Y is its toughness. Use this ability only once each turn.
2/2
"He invades her own value; parading her shy security, while gribbing on her innocence."

Revised as:

Marauding Nightstalker - 2BB
Creature - Nightstalker
2: Choose target creature any opponent controls. ~this~ gets +X/+Y until the end of turn, where X is that creature's power, and Y is that creature’s toughness. Put a +1/+1 counter on that creature. Use this ability only once each turn.
1/2
"He invades her own value; Pervades her shy security, all the while grubbing on her innocence."

15. Strikesky Minion - 2B (Creator: Düke)
Creature – Minion
At the beginning of your upkeep step, pay 1 or sacrifice Strikesky Minion.
If you paid R, Strikesky Minion gains First Strike until end of the turn.
If you paid U, Strikesky Minion gains Flying until end of the turn.
3/2

Revised as:

Strikesky Minion - 2B
Creature – Minion
At the beginning of your upkeep, pay 1 or sacrifice Strikesky Minion.
If R was paid for ~this~’s upkeep, Strikesky Minion gets First Strike until end of the turn.
If U was paid for ~this~’s upkeep, Strikesky Minion gets Flying until end of the turn.
2/3

16. Serial Assassin - BBB (Creator: TICM)
Creature - Assassin
When Serial Assassin comes into play, choose target creature.
B, TAP: Destroy the creature that was last chosen by an effect whose source is Serial Assassin. Then choose target creature.
1/1

Revised as:

Serial Assassin - 2BB
Creature - Assassin
When Serial Assassin comes into play, put a Hit counter on target creature.
B, Tap: Lose 1 life. Destroy any creature with a Hit counter, it cannot be regenerated. Put a Hit counter on target creature.
1/1

So let's stop posting cards for a bit a discuss these and what I've done with them, we'll polish them up and make final drafts.

Take it easy!
Dustin

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

My brother is yelling at me to use the computer, so all I can say for now is this:

What the heck did you do to Phyrexian Overlord?????? You made it a totally different card.

Oh, and if you say "sacrifice a creature", it has to be one you control - the rules say so.

D

DÛke

...!

That's was...um...unique, Duster. Where are you from anyway? :)

You changed a lot of flavor texts there, Duster...some are cooler, but some...I like the original version better. Most cards were changed for the better, but some where totally altered from what they are...I don't have the time to discuss every card right now, nevertheless, good freakin' job man! :)

D

Duster

TiCM, you're not the one saccing the creature, your opponent is, you just get to choose which one he has to sac. I guess it would be the same to say:

"Choose a creature target player controls. That player must sacrifice that creature. This effect does not target the chosen creature."

It just gets around untargetability.

Phyrexian Overlord HAD to be changed completely:
A: No Phyrexians, it's a WoTC trade mark, and if we don't have a specific group of monsters to control it's hard to have an Overlord, right?
B: Obviously I kept the "fear" ability.
C: Paying BB for -1/-1 without tapping is outrageous, I don't care what drawback it has. This could clear a board in a few turns.
D: Saccing two creatures for a drawback is pretty rough, even though the ability was too.
E: Therefore I scrapped C and D.
F: In conclusion, I took 1B off the casting cost, made him less of a brute (a 4/4 fear is kinda rough) and finally changed his drawback a little. Obviously this guy's not too powerful, but he has his merits. A 3/2 fear is still a force to be reckoned with, this is a "good" common in my opinion.

And to address your point DUke, I made different flavor texts just to see how I could work them, they're certainly not set in stone, I just thought it would be a good idea to have a couple to choose from.
With some cards, I really liked the way they worked, so I kept them as close as possible, with some I saw potential, and I would keep updating them until they became an entirely seperate card. Most of those are the ones I completely changed I think I chnaged the name of the card as well...

S'all for now,
Dustin

F

FoundationOfRancor

These cards are looking great, and all balanced. Theres nothing I can offer but more ideas...

--------------------------
Denuding Plans 2B
Instant
Destory all Swamps and Plains in play. They cannot be regenerated. You lose 1 life for each land destroyed in this way.

Thought Lease 1U
Remove the top three cards of your library from the game. Any oppenent may play these cards as though they were in his hand. At the end of your turn, put the remaining cards removed from the game into your hand.
-------------------------
-This card is bordering on broken...maybe 2u? or even 3u? or lower the card draw?

-----------------------
Dishearted Savior 2WW
Creature- Angel
Flying
When ~this~ comes into play, it gets a -1-1 counter for each land you control.
6/6
----------------------
-This card is just dying to be played in a green-white mana deck...hehe...too powerful?

---------------------
River of Souls
Land
Whenever a creature enter or leaves play, gain 1 life.
---------------------
-Crazy. Its really good, but life gain should be good, not stupid like it used to be. And it is a non-mana producing land...comments?

--------------------
Liberate G
Instant
Regenerate target land.
Draw a card.
-------------------
-Handy against LD....sideboard defiently...comments?

Im sorry if thats too many...

S

Sidar Jabari

Hi, I was wondering if I could help, I've given serious considerations to power levels and colour balance of cards sets before.

I'm afraid that I'm a little bit Wakefieldian in my ideas but here they are.

Flexibility is key. I love Creeping Mold for example. For this reason if anthying comes back it should be cycling.

Legends do not really penilise people as much as they should. In fact, if you have a legend out and your opponent has a copy of that legend that they want to play, they are screwed. What kind of disadvantage is that? I think legends should be replaced by something is saw in Unglued (dont panic!). Why don't we have cards that are restricted! You know, it says on the card 'Limit: one per deck' Now, this is a true restraint. It could create some problems with randomness, but we could check that out in playtest.

On the flip side we could create cards that you can play more than four of in a deck. The ability could be called horde, for example. This is only a random thought, it's not really part of my 'master plan' think on it if you will.

Colour hosers should be reduced in power. They just aren't much fun when you're on the recieving end! I suggest that we make every colour hoser a 1 for 1 trade in terms of card advantage. We should make them nice and flexible.

How about: Pyro and Hydro blast expanded to every colour?

How about: Flash flood (U instant destroy target red perm or return a mountain to owners hand) expanded to every colour.

This would give a good few hosers which we could then supplement with protection creatures (Mainly in white or gold)and landwalk (mainly in green but I do want to see more in general.)

Ooh, Ooh, Ooh!! I've just thought of something. How about we make the pyroblast/flash floods hosers multicloured.

e.g. Life blast GW instant Choose one - counter target black spell or destroy target black permanent.

and Purelifes restraint (or something!) GW instant Choose one - destroy target black permanent or Put target swamp on top of owners library (slightly beefed up to make the mana investment worthwhile)

What do you think? I've got loads more ideas!

S

Sidar Jabari

Improvisation is brilliant. I love it's flexibility.

The lands that Duster posted ages ago should be looked at again. How about?

Caldera <something>
Land
Tap: Add 1 to your mana pool
Tap: Add R or U to your mana pool. Return ~this~ to your hand.

In the same way that the painlands are the babies City of Brass, this is the baby of Undiscovered Paradise. I think it's balanced now.
Of course, it doesn't have to be opposed colours, it's just that they've been missing for a long time.

Oh yeah. Reckless Nimrod and Planar void/Honour the Fallen. Some broken. It needs to be forgotten. Permanently.

D

DÛke

...:

Denuding Plans - very good. Though, I don't think we should have color-hosers in this set; not mono-colored ones anyway. I think, in order to make this set like Invasion, multi-hearted, we should try to make more interaction...and trust me, it doesn't have to be a weak one, like most of Invasion "interactions". See my cards above that interact, they're ALL good. Denuding Plans is good, but too narrow, kind of like your average sideboard. Make it B/R so it can destroy Islands, Plains, OR Forests...making the card more flexible. Of course, add a drawback too...

Thought Lease - Istanbul will say "BROKEN", or so I think. The reason I don't find it broken. First of all, is this an Instant or a Sorcery? I think you wanted it to be an instant...it should be limited to playing ONLY at the beginning of your upkeep step...otherwise, it'd be just an Ancestral Recall since the opponent will not have a chance to play the cards. I don't think it's broken because if there is ONE land in there, the opponent will be able to play it, so RIGHT THERE is a big disadvantage all in itself...not to mention, that...once he/she gains one of your lands for mana, he or she will HAVE the colored mana you're playing, meaning that if you play MORE Thought Lease cards, you'll probably get "burned" for it...I think it's cool, and balanced.

Dishearted Savior - Great! Perfectly balanced, AND unique! Good job FoR. I think she'll be great in mana-artifact decks and/or decks that uses elves as a good source of mana; though, playing this in a mono-white deck will not be so hot. Great card over all, and almost forcing you to play it in a non-mono deck - great.

River or Souls - Good, but I don't think it'll see much play, since playing it is taking 1 turn without developing the mana base. I think it should come into play tapped, and be able to add for colorless mana.

Liberate - Really handy; in sideboards. Unlike Denuding Plans, this actually COULD be played, wheather a land is being destroyed OR not. You still get to draw a card, which is nice. Plus, it doubles as a "Counter Spell" against Stone Rain, Despoil, etc...cool.
___

Sidar Jabari - some great ideas, and some not so great ideas there. :)
Instead of "restricting" the card automatically, we could say "...as an additional cost to play ~this~, each your library, graveyard, and hand for all copies of ~this~ and remove them from the game. Shuffle your library...” Sure, it will take a lot of space, but hey...if we're going to make cards like that, they better be really good.

I also like the Gold color hosers. It makes the game more interactive between colors - kind of like the Invasion block - great. I already said I want flexible, golden...color hosers, NOT mono colored.

...And sure, you could help.

[Edited by DÛke on 01-26-01 at 08:05 AM]

S

Sidar Jabari

River of Souls. Everyone would play 4. I mean everyone. It's just so powerful.

Can anyone say 'The next Rishidan Port' ?

How about?

River of Souls
Land
When river of souls comes into play search your libray, hand and graveyard for all copies of River of Souls and remove them from the game.
Whenever any player successfully casts a creture spell gain 1 life.
Whenever a creature is put into a graveyard from play gain 1 life.

S

Sidar Jabari

Thought Lease is maybe balanced.

How about;

Thought Lease 1U
Instant
Play this card only at the start of any opponents upkeep. //at the start to give them a chance of choosing not to pay upkeep to free up more mana to play your spells. PS that was a comment, not part of the card text ;)

Reveal the top three cards of you library. Any opponent may play them as if they were in his or her hand.

At the end of your next turn add any card that is still removed from the game by ~this~ to your hand.

S

Sidar Jabari

No wait! We could help multiplayer magic here!

Thought Lease 1U
Instant

Play only at the start of target players upkeep

Remove the top three cards of your libraray and show them to that player. They may play those cards as if they were in his or her hand.

At the end of your next turn put any of those cards which were not played by that player into your hand.

Good, eh?

S

Sidar Jabari

Back to some Page 4 cards!

Generally love all the alternative upkeep cards. The non-permanent versions are too much like kicker, however.

Necromantic spy. I like Dukes version.

That Spectral Illusions card. Maybe it should be white?

<Needs renaming> 1WW
Enchanment
Whenever you successfully casts a creature spell put a liberate counter on ~this~.
1WW: Remove a liberate counter from ~this~ to remove target creature you control from the game. Return that creature to play under your control at the end of the turn.

Veteran Griffin. NO, NO, NO, NO!! NO! Can someone explain to me why this WOULDN'T be broken?

D

DÛke

...those cards are just my personal choice; card that I think are very good, and very unique. Note that we could "negotiate" the existance or disexistance of some of those cards in the set...
___
Hinder (2UU) (By FoR)
Instant
When this card is in your hand, you may pay 2, B, or W and reveal it to all players to search through your library for a copy of Hinder, and put that card in your hand. Shuffle your library afterwards.
Counter target spell.
"What part of "no" don't you understand?"

***Hinder will be our "main" counter card in this set. It's simple, it's powerful, and it's balanced.
___
Mute (U) (By Duster)
Instant
As you play Mute, pay X life. Target player can't play spells this turn. That player may pay X life to counter Mute.
"Everyone has the power to shut up."

***I didn't see a reason for Mute to be an Enchantment. Plus, I don't know why you guys gave it a big casting cost. Look at Orim's Chant. This is even kind of "rhystic"...it doesn't need a big casting cost, muchless, being an enchantment. We have another card like that in the set, it's my card: Postpone. It does exactly what Mute does...I don't know which to pick, and we, for sure, don't want 2 cards that do almost the same thing in the set...so, we'll have to pick either Mute or Postpone.
___
Imperial Airpirate (4U) (2/2) (By DÛke)
Creature – Pirate
Flying
Whenever a spell is cast, you may pay 1U. If you do, draw a card
___
Concoct Magic (4UU) (By DÛke)
Instant
As an additional cost to play Concoct Magic, choose and discard 2 Instant and/or Sorcery cards from your hand. Discard only Blue, Black, and White cards this way. Concoct Magic does the effects of the cards discarded this way. (Treat any X in the effects as 0)
___
Improvisation (3UU) (By Istanbul)
Instant
Choose one: counter target spell; or target spell has a new target of your choice; or return target permanent to its owner's hand.
"A spell for all seasons."
___
Postpone (U) (By DÛke)
Instant
Look at target player's hand, and then you may pay 1.
If you do, that player can't play spells this turn.
"Better safe than sorry."
___
Precaution (2UU) (By DÛke)
Instant
At the beginning of your upkeep step, if Precaution is in your hand, you may reveal it to target player.
If you do, look at that player's hand.
Counter target spell.
"I don't think so."
___
Deathglow Mists (2U) (By DÛke)
Instant
As an additional cost to play Deathglow Mists, pay 1.
If you paid B, all creatures gain -1/-1 until end of the turn.
If you paid W, you gain 1 life for each creature in play.
Tap all creatures target player controls.
___
Hooligan Mage (2UU) (3/4) (By DÛke)
Creature - Mage
At the beginning of your upkeep step, pay 1 or tap Hooligan Mage.
If you paid B, target player loses 1 life.
If you paid W, gain 1 life.
If you paid U, tap target artifact, creature, or land.
___
Moon Jellyfish (3U) (2/2) (By Thallid Ice Cream Dude)
Creature - Fish
U, Tap: Tap target creature.
U, Sacrifice Moon Jellyfish: Tap all creatures.
___

All the cards above are playable, very. We have our main counter magic, thanks to FoR: giving us the very, very impressive Hinder. We also have every control-freaks' dreams here: the power of Moon Jellyfish to stall is amazing; combined with Hooligan's Mages amazing capabilities, and Improvisation, with mighty flexibility...all combine to represent the true power of true control that has just begun.

Also note the weird mechanics in Concoct Magic, Precaution, and Deathglow Mists.

If all the set looks like all the Black and Blue cards me and Duster have selected, we'll have a set that is more amazing than what WotC could ever make. All those cards are truly unique...we do need some flavor-texting for some of the cards though; that's where Istanbul comes in.

Anyway...I have a new batch of cards to be submitted soon. ALL with new mechanics - unnamed mechanics. :D

Let’s keep it up.

[Edited by DÛke on 01-26-01 at 06:33 PM]

F

FoundationOfRancor

Denuding Plans RB1
Instant
Destory all Swamps in play.
Destory all Plains or Forests in play.

How does that one look?

I think Thought Lease should remain as is. As DUke points out, its very balanced.

I think river of souls is good as is too. WE just cant make it produce mana, then it would be cray.

DUkeo, why dont ya send all them new cards our way? I think its time.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Re: Veteran Griffin: I don't know what I was thinking when I posted it. It should say "Tap, Tap an untapped Griffin you control: Draw a card." With that said it is probably good in a Griffin deck and not that good anywhere else. But it is not broken. I am sorry for posting the wrong thing.

The first time I made this post I hadn't noticed the problem - hence I edited it.

Now, if I may, I'd like to suggest a version of Phyrexian Overlord which could be better in maintaining the flavor of the original card:

Zombie Priest (Fortunately there are no religious zealots on these boards to yell at me...)
4BB
Creature - Zombie
When Zombie Priest comes into play, sacrifice two creatures. If you don't sacrifice Zombie Priest.
BB: Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature and a -1/-1 counter on a nontoken creature you control.
Zombie Priest can't be blocked except by black and/or artifact creatures.
3/3

Is this to your liking?

[Edited by Thallid Ice Cream Man on 01-26-01 at 05:15 PM]

F

FoundationOfRancor

I like your card Thallid, but I question the name...here a couple of crazy suggestions...

-The Pale Horse (meaning Grim Reaper)
-Archaic Jjinn
-Wicked Zealot
-Corrupted Partisan

I like the sound of Archaic Jjinn...but Im realy weird when it comes to card names...what do you think Thallid Ice Cream Man?

PS: I like the card, I think its balanced...