Team-made set...

F

FoundationOfRancor

Orthodox Heretic: We get the card! Stop assuiming were idiots! What were saying, why would anyone choose the Orthodox one? Its almost like that 0/2 Time dude from 5th edition. But never mind, its fine, and you seem to like it.

Everyone needs to settle down and chill, its getting me pissed off.

Oh, and Frantic mage is still way to confusing with Thallid's version. Why bother with all the wording crap? Just seperate it into 3 different abilities...

D

DÛke

...see, FoR, if you know what the Orthodox versoin really does, you wouldn't assume it's crappy, now would you?

I figured out a better way to make that card...the only way to make it, and make it less confusing it by making it two seperate cards.

Orthodox Hooligan (3UU) (3/4)
Creature - Hooligan
As Orthodox Hooligan comes into play, put an Orthodox counter on all permanents.
UU, Tap: Return target permanent without an Orthodox counter back to owner's hand.

>>How is that a bad card?

Heretic Hooligan (3UU) (3/4)
Creature - Hooligan
As Heretic Hooligan comes into play, put an Heretic counter on all permanents.
UU, Tap: Return target permanent with a Heretic counter back to owner's hand.

>>This can't possibly be bad at all.

...and I thought we resloved the Phyrexian Overlord problem?

Anyway, I'll be toying with some of my cards so I can make them simpler...

F

FoundationOfRancor

Jesus man! Do you even read my posts!? I said I didnt see why anyone would choose the Orthodox thing over the other one.

I

Istanbul

I read the cards.

Both Orthodox and Heretic put their respective tokens on all permanents when they come into play.

Orthodox can bounce anything that enters play AFTER it.
Heretic can bounce anything that entered play BEFORE it.

I also see FoR's point. If a nasty threat is already on the table, Orthodox just shrugs and says, 'Sorry, pal. Can't help ya.' Heretic would see a LOT more play.

I

Istanbul

Empowerment 1WG
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gains +1/+1, trample, and first strike.
Draw a card when Empowerment comes into play.
"Good warriors have strength. Great warriors have skill."

Viral Torment 1UB
Enchant Creature
1B: Put a -1/-1 counter on enchanted creature.
U: Move Viral Torment from one creature to another. Treat Viral Torment as though it was just cast.
Draw a card when Viral Torment comes into play.
"We can't break his spirit with torture!"
"Bring me his friend."

Angelic Wings 1WU
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gets +0/+2.
U: Return Angelic Wings to your hand.
UUU: Return Angelic Wings and enchanted creature to your hand.
Draw a card when Angelic Wings comes into play.
"The heavens protect me. What can you hope to do against me?"

Savage Fury 1RG
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and haste.
G: Regenerate enchanted creature.
Draw a card when Savage Fury comes into play.
"YOU block him."

Unending Rage 1RB
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature cannot be blocked except by black and artifact creatures.
1R: Enchanted creature gains first strike until end of turn.
Draw a card when Unending Rage comes into play.
"Hatred is energy. Turned to a cause, the result can be frightening indeed."

S

Sidar Jabari

Angelic Wings.

I think the interaction between the 'comes into play draw a card' ability and the U: return to hand ability is a little too strong. It kind of makes it into a blue/white Jaymedea (whatever!) Tome without the initial casting cost and the tapping restriction.

How about

Angelic Wings
1WU
Enchanted creature gets +0/+2 and has flying.
UUU: Return enchanted creature and ~this~ to it's owners hand.
When ~this~ comes into play draw a card.

I gave it flying to make up for the loss.

Viral Torment has the same problem and the black-red one is just rubbish.

Can I make just one more comment about River of Souls? In removing the 'gain one life when any creture goes to the graveyard' ability you remove the whole flavour of the card. Having a 'gain one life when a creature comes into play' ability can be heavily abused with token creture generation and that quality of lifegain just shouldn't be non-white.

Also giving it the ability to produce mana removes the neccessity to make a true commitment to a certain style of deck and everyone will just splash it because there it has no disadvantage.

Just one more time.

River of Souls
Land
Whenever a player sucessfully casts a creature spell gain one life.
Whenever a creature goes into a graveyard from play gain one life.

S

Sidar Jabari

Actually, I would prefer to play with Orthodox Hooligan because you can use it to bounce every land they play for the rest of the game. Strong with Armageddon? Maybe.

C'mon guys. Lets check the cards out for this kind of oversight before we post new ones.

Also, I think someone should move us to a new thread with a list of what we've achieved so far as a starting post. That is, once we've weeded out some of the highly broken abilities on the existing cards.

S

Sidar Jabari

Frantic Mage
Igniting Spirit
Suicidal Assasin

What breaks these cards? The fact that each one gives you a very powerful ability (counterspell, terror, blaze) with an option to play it without either a sac or a tap cost. Can you really do that? I mean, how could you sleep at night?

I think in each case we should cut them down to two abilities. e.g.

Frantic Mage
UU, sacrifice Frantic Mage: Counter tartget spell
3UU, tap: Counter target spell.

L

Landkiller

Summoning Circle WB3
Enchantment
During your upkeep, pay 3 life or sacrifice Summoning Circle.
WB, Pay 3 life : Look through target player's library and put any creature in that library into play under your control with a Summon counter on it. When Summoning Circle leaves play, target opponent gains control of all creatures with Summon counters.

Shadowfire Aura BR
Enchant Creature
Shadowfire Aura has Protection from white.
A White Creature cannot attack if Enchanted Creature could legally block it.

Shapeshifter Assassin 3UBR
Creature - Shapeshifter
When Shapeshifter Assassin comes into play, remove target tapped creature from the game.
UBR : Remove target creature with a toughness of 2 or less from the game.
Whenever Shapeshifter Assassin removes a creature from the game, it gains that creature's game text, power, and toughness, until the end of your next turn.
2/2

Stone of Order 2
Artifact
2, Sacrifice Stone of Order : All players with four or more cards in hand discard cards until they each have three cards in hand.

Stone of Chaos 3
Artifact
3, Sacrifice Stone of Chaos : All players with four or less cards in hand draw cards until they each have five cards in hand.

Place of Power
Land
T : Add 1 to your mana pool
1, T : Each player draws a card.

Magic Elemental 1WBURG
Creature - Elemental
U : Gains Flying until end of turn.
G : Cannot be the target of spells or abilities until end of turn.
W : Attacking does not tap until end of turn.
R : Gains First Strike until end of turn.
B : Deal 1 damage to each creature in play.
Sacrifice Magic Elemental : Search your library for any sorcery and play it for free, treating a cost of X as zero.
5/5

Quadrifiend BBBB
Creature - Demon
Whenever Quadirifiend leaves play, you may remove it from the game to put 4 3/2 Black Demon tokens into play.
3/2

Exert Power RRR
Sorcery
Discard a card at random : Destroy all tapped permanents, then tap all artifacts, lands, and creatures.

Dimensional Vortex 2WUB
Enchantment
Creatures cannot be played.
During your upkeep, sacrifice a land, or sacrifice Dimensional Vortex.
When Dimensional Vortex leaves play, return all creatures to thier owner's hand.

Violent Ground XRR
Sorcery
Destroy target non-basic land. Deal X damage to that land's controller. X may not be greater than the number of mountains you control.

I

Istanbul

I actually noticed the combo with Angelic Wings...but that's '1WUU: Draw a card'. Not too broken.
How is Viral Torment the same? It doesn't bounce itself, it just moves to another creature when it's done with the first.
Fear and First Strike are rubbish? I'd think they'd combo well together; on the off chance your opponent can find anything to block with, you have a decent chance of killing it.

Summoning Circle - Combined with any effect that lets you sacrifice creatures, this is INCREDIBLY strong.
Shadowfire Aura - Stops rebel decks cold. Too good.
Shapeshifter Assassin - Does it lose its OWN game text?
Stone of Order - First turn: Swamp. 7 cards in hand. Second turn: Swamp, Ritual, Stone of Order, Sacrifice same. I discard a card or two, you discard a LOT.
Stone of Chaos - Insanely good. Very Memory Jar-ish. Give this to Fires for an auto-win.
Place of Power - Change to 'Each player may draw a card' to prevent Vise abuse.
Magic Elemental - Balanced.
Quadrifiend - My GOD. Maybe four 1/1 tokens, but four 3/2 tokens...I'd find some way to kill it MYSELF.
Exert Power - Insanely powerful. A situational Armageddon, Wrath of God, Shatterstorm...cast two of them, and destroy everything on the board.
Dimensional Vortex - Should be U/B, not W/U/B. Combine with Wretched Devotion for an agonizing time.
Violent Ground - Balanced.

I

Istanbul

Nevermind. I just noticed Viral Torment's problem. Just remove the 'Treat Viral Torment as though it were just cast' text.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Orthodox Heretic: OK, I have a potential play scenario here...
Play it, put Heretic counters on everything.
Now, unless your opponent is playing with 1 of 3 gold cards, nothing has any Orthodox counters. So you can bounce anything. Thus, it is a little worse than 3UU for 3/4 with "UU,Tap: Bounce a permanent," although if you want you can make it worse than that. I'm not complaining, because we do get it. The only problem is that you can use one counter effect and use the other bounce effect. A way around that, while complicating things, would work like this:
Orthodox Heretic
3UU
3/4
When Orthodox Heretic comes into play, you may put an Orthodox counter on all other permanents and a Heretic counter on Orthodox Heretic. If you don't, put a Heretic counter on all other permanents and an Orthodox counter on Orthodox Heretic.
UU, Tap: Return target permanent without an Orthodox counter on it to owner's hand. Play this ability only if Orthodox Heretic has a Heretic counter on it.
UU, Tap: Return target permanent with a Heretic counter on it to owner's hand. Paly this ability only if Orthodox Heretic has an Orthodox counter on it.

The names of the counters might need to be changed, so if you want we could just use your new versions, but then the Orthodox version would probably be played more.

Gold creature enchantments: These look interesting as well, but make the distinction between being cast and coming into play on another creature to avoid weird cantrip problems.

C

Cateran Emperor

Quadrifiend - maybe this should read 'when this is put into any graveyard from play, put 4 3/2 black Demon tokens into play'. Otherwise, we've got a better token producer than Deranged hermit if you have anything at all with a bounce ability active.

Whether we want Hooligan or Orthodox Mage depends, is it supposed to be able to remove permanents that were in play before it or come into play after it?

As for the various enchantments, they seem a bit unbalanced. Allow me to try. We start with templating the cantriposity thingy, then we'll go from there.

Empowerment 1WG
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gains +1/+1, trample, and attacking does not cause enchanted creature to tap.
WG: Until end of turn, whenever enchanted creature would deal combat damage, gain that much life.
Draw a card.
"Good warriors have strength. Great warriors have skill."

Viral Torment 1UB
Enchant Creature
1B: Put a -1/-1 counter on enchanted creature.
U: Move Viral Torment onto a creature of your choice.
Draw a card.
"We can't break his spirit with torture!"
"Bring me his friend."

Angelic Wings 1WU
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gets +0/+2 and has flying.
W: Until end of turn, attacking does not cause enchanted creature to tap.
UU: Return Angelic Wings and enchanted creature to your hand.
Draw a card.
"The heavens protect me. What can you hope to do against me?"

Savage Fury 1RG
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2.
Sacrifice Savage Fury: put two +1/+1 counters divided any way you choose among any number of target creatures.
G: Regenerate enchanted creature.
Draw a card.
"YOU block him."

Clouded Judgement 1RB
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gets +3/+0 and it cannot be blocked except by black creatures and artifact creatures.
R: Enchanted creature gains first strike until end of turn.
Draw a card.
"Hatred is energy. Turned to a cause, the result can be frightening indeed."

Remember the first rule of creature enchantments: unless they seem overpowered, no one will use them.

I

Istanbul

The idea is that while my original are good, they're NOT broken...and people would use them because of the draw-a-card thing. They replace themselves, even if they ARE killed.

L

Landkiller

2nd Draft

Summoning Circle :: No Changes

Shadowfire Aura BR
Enchant Creature
Shadowfire Aura has Protection from white.
Enchanted creature gains "T : Destroy target white creature if it is attacking."

Does this version seem more fair? Too weak?

Shapeshifter Assassin :: It retains all it's own game text.

Stone of Order 2
Artifact
2, Sacrifice Stone of Order : All players with more than four cards in hand discard cards until they each have
four cards in hand.

Stone of Chaos 3
Artifact
3, Sacrifice Stone of Chaos : All players with less than four cards in hand draw cards until they each have four cards in hand.

Place of Power :: Yes, may draw a card seems more appropriate

Quadrifiend BBBB
Creature - Demon
Whenever Quadirifiend is put into a graveyard from play, you may remove it from the game to put 4 3/2 Black Demon tokens into play tapped. Lose 4 life if you do so.
3/2

Because it may have been too good, the tokens come out tapped, cost 4 life, and only if Quadifiend actually died.

Exert Power RRR
Sorcery
As an additional cost to play this spell, discard a card at random. If that card has a casting cost of 2 or less, counter Exert Power.
Destroy all tapped permanents, then tap all artifacts, lands, and creatures.

This change builds in a bit of randomness. Does Exert Power now suck?

Dimensional Vortex 2WUB
Enchantment
Creatures cannot be played.
During your upkeep, sacrifice a land, or sacrifice Dimensional Vortex.
When Dimensional Vortex leaves play, return all creatures to thier owner's hand.

Just Blue Black seems like it would be too good. Not allowing players to play stuff is a white ability. Consider Orim's Chant and Abeyance.

Lightning Oracle RU
Creature - Wizard
Whenever a player is dealt damage, that player may look at the top X cards of his or her library and arrange them in any order, where X is the amount of damage dealt.
3/2

Life Magi GU
Creature - Wizard
Discard a card : Target creature is +1+1 until end of turn.
Discard a card : Target player gains 2 life.
2/2

Lightning Oracle is pretty excellent, as it adds a strange strategy to the game.
Life Magi is good, but not blindingly original.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Hmm...these are some cool card. I would make the lightning Oracle a 2/2 though.

S

Sidar Jabari

Life Magi combos too well with Necro and Bargain. And even Greed.

Maybe you should add a mana cost to use the ability or change it to damage prevention instead of life gain.

S

superguy

Jeez... That's a lot to read...
Well, anyway, I was wondering if you guys will let me contribute. I'm pretty good at creating balanced cards, so don't worry about that. In about 20 mins I will finish readig all these replies. and se if I can come up with something. Thanks!

F

FoundationOfRancor

But we have to wait for Big Cheif Duke to say his say.

PS: Good to have you superguy!

S

superguy

About the card that regenerates a land... Well, there's a better one in Planeshift, I think it does:
1G
Instant
Lands can't be targets of spells or abilites this turn. Draw a card.

Here are just a few cards that I came up with... sorry if its overhwelming or too early.

Decaying Zombie
2B
Creature - Zombie
When ~this~ comes into play, you may sacrifice another creature. If you do, destroy target non-black creature.
2/1

Sky Phoenix
3UR
Creature - Phoenix
Flying
When Sky Phoenix comes into play, you may search your library for a red or blue sorcery card, and then discard 2 cards from your hand. Shuffle your library afterwards.
2/4

~
2BG
Sorcery
As an additional cost to ~this~ sacrifice two non-green creatures you
control. Search your library for a Creature card and put it into play.
Draw a card.