Team-made set...

D

DÛke

Ok, if you have been following the Istanbul's "Balance" thread, you'd know all about this, so please, do check that place out (the 2nd page) before doing ANY wistful attempts.

I assume after all those periods, you have checked out the "Balance" thread, so...I'll go on, ASSUMING that you know what I'm talking about.

So far, we only have 2 people (Duster and I) who are willing to work with the set, by criticizing EACH card, and getting as much opinions, and as much advice about each card, in order to make each card worthy of everyone's time. I want this set to be really something, unlike many other solitary sets...(no offense to anyone). :)

Is anyone willing to work like that, with us? We need at least one more person, so we can have a true, respectable “R&D”.

Anyway, after we get a third, serious member, we need to decide if we want a standalone or just set.
I think we should go with a set, and then, if we’re doing well, we could upgrade to a standalone.

How does that sound? Duster?

Most importantly, is the third member of this “R&D”…I really wanted Istanbul or FoR, but I don’t think they’re willing, so if they really aren't willing to, YOU may join us.

Mostly, we are looking for a many different type of people. I am good at making really nice Black, and Blue cards, and I'm fair at making White cards. I also have good knowledge about each color's powers. I know how to make Artifacts, and good gold cards.

Duster is kind of like an all around.

We need a person who is, most importantly, serious about making good cards. It doesn't matter much what color(s) you're specialized in, just as long as you're willing give great advice. Oh, and don't be swayed by the card's creator. If a card is bad, then say so...don't let friendship/whatever take that away.

People who I have in mind:

Cateran Emperor
Azreal
Istanbul
FoR
Bob
Thallid Ice Cream Man (I can't believe I'm asking him):)

Anyway, I'll have to see what "offers" we get, and then, we'll move on.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Sure, ill help....GunslingerCS on aim.

Its been a while since ive been into making cards, ill see if I can get started again.

D

Duster

I'm definately glad that FoR's decided to help us, the more help we have the easier an undertaking this will be.
Anyway, my AOLIM is 'ITRDustin'

Remember CPAers, this is open to everyone, PLEASE post your card ideas, I'm as brilliant and creative as they come, but making a set is hard ;)

I'm also definately willing to have a few more people help us out as "core R&Ders" with this set, I'm gunning for a standalone right now, there's no reason we can't pull it off.

S'all for now :)
Dustin

B

Bob

For this, do you want me to be in serious player mode, normal player mode, Goofy player mode or Ransac mode?
:)
I'll help you with White cards. I'm a white expert.
And I vote for standalone.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I'm busy with my own set, so I can't help. But, I'd be much oliged(if that is how you spell it) if you would make a card of me. Thanks.

Ransac, cpa trash man

P.S. Bob, the set will be screwed if you help in Ransac mode.

D

DÛke

...Ransac, this will NOT be something like The Cards of the CPA. This is the real thing. This set will have cards that are able to be released! Not goofy, Unglued type of cards. I'm kind of done with that.

Bob, I want you in serious mode. Otherwise, you'll get your butt kicked by me. :)

FoR and I talked. FoR said that he'll not be able to submit many actual cards, but he'll be able to "fix" cards that need to be fixed, and will help us balance the cards. That's really good.

Duster and I also talked. Since we're only the real devotive ones to the set, we've decided that we will go with a standalone.

We also decided that we want many color-interactive cards. Cards like the Masters and Apprentices from Invasion. We want some "enemy colored" gold cards; which Invasion, and most likely, Planeshift fail to supply.

Every card in the set MUST be unique. Each card should be reviewed by AT LEAST 3 members before actually taking it to the set. Each card must be at least "good". We want a set that even WotC can't come up with. I KNOW we could do it, it just takes time.

We'll start by submitting cards; VERY small quanitites of cards. Each card will be reviewed, balanced. NO card will enter without any serious comments made about it, and its playability.

So, that's it for now; just keeping you informed. :)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
REALLY? When you mean "released", do you mean we send these ideas to the R&D out of the chance that they might be used? Or, do you mean that they are not broken and would actually be printed in a set.

Ransac, cpa trash man

D

DÛke

...<SIGH>

I hate when I have to explain what's already explained. Yes, I mean that they're GOOD ENOUGH to be released, not to be "sent to WotC to be released"...<sigh>

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I'm serious about making good cards. I enjoy making funny cards, but I'm good at this sort of thing.

Ransac, cpa trash man

I

Istanbul

I'll lend a hand where I can. I'm mediocre at coming up with ideas, but if you want your cards balanced and recosted into fairness, that's where I shine.

N

NeuroDeus

I really would like to help. I know how to make serious playable cards. I already invented some cards and also discuss some mechanics (like Gang who remembers it). So, please let me help in the set, I would love it!

C

Cateran Emperor

Count me in, I'd enjoy making a Team CPA set :cool:

One question, when I look at the cards, should I be considering them in terms of official magic sets, or basing their power compared to only our set?

In other words, should I consider how powerful they are in conjunction with 'legal' cards?

F

FoundationOfRancor

What I mean is that, I dont really feel creative, I cant promise the strong support and creativity I gave the sliver set, but I will try to help in anyway I can. And that means mostly balancing cards and sumbitting weird ideas.

Also, I dont think we should base legends or any cards on members of the CPA or anywhere else. Thats the first step down a bad, bad path...

This looks promising.

F

FoundationOfRancor

1.) Can we use old Block Attached Mechanics and/or abilites. (Ex. Shadow, sliver, cycling...)

* Perhaps we should choose just one or two old abilties to bring back? I like 2 better...
--------------------------------------------------

2.) I suggest that we make our own, creative abilites and mechnics for this set. Shall we begin to brainstorming ideas?
---------------------------------------------------

3.) Do ya'll want to put this set in the apprentice card thing, and actually play with these cards? That would be neat.

4.)How big of a set are we talking here? 350 cards, including land? If so, what do you think the Color/Multicolor/Artifact proportion should be?

5.) Duke, Duster, what time are you guys usually online?
---------------------------------------------------

This has been some week guys, im excited. New girlfriend, New card set, New headphones.

Anywhoo, I hope to talk to you all soon.

D

Duster

To answer Cateran Emperors, I think we should try to view it as the big picture, we should avoid making cards that are broken in conjunction with cards from any set.
I agree with FoR about the legends completely, we can be creative and create orignal legends, and we all know that as soon as we start basing them on us, this place will turn into a zoo :)
FoR's other questions...
1) I'd rather not use established "named" mechanics, WotC doesn't reuse them after a block, so we should avoid them ourselves, that's just my opinion though, if anyone else has other ideas, I'm all ears.
2) YES! Start brainstorming, I have a few ideas of my own, I'll be ironing them out and then I'll post them.
3) I was hoping to playtest on apprentice myself, I think that would be great.
4) This is something that needs to be discussed definately. We're going for a standalone, so about 350 cards, we'll work out the distribution after we get card ideas rolling.
5) I'm usually on IM late night EST, from about 10pm-2am; Sometimes earlier, sometimes later.

I already love the direction this is heading, I'm glad we're handling all the issues before we really start designing.
I'll be thinking of more questions and concers we should work out before we get into this, I hope everyone else does too :)

Take it easy guys,
Dustin

D

DÛke

...I'm glad this is working out. :)

NeuroDeus, YES, of course you could help. We need all the help we could get. This is going to be big.

Istanbul, thanks for your support. I, myself, have too many cards in mind, and wouldn't mind if anyone tries to "toy" with their playability, casting cost, or anything that will make each card unique, creative, and yet powerful.

FoR, you bringabout good questions. Well, to start off, I DO NOT want "named" mechanics. I want NEW mechanics, don't get me wrong, but not named ones...not ones that have "special" name attached to them such as "Buyback", "Kicker", or "Shadow".

Second, I feel that we are creative enough to come up with our OWN ideas. I don't feel the need to bringabout offical WotC abilities like Shadow, Kicker, or anything that is "named".

Now, according to Duster (and partially me), this will be a standalone...however, if we feel like we're not doing a very good job, or we're just simply out of ideas, we could cut it back into a small set. I don't think that'll ever happen; I know we have so many creative minds in here...we'll be fine with a standalone.

I am usually on the CPA around 7-9 PM. Not the whole time, just somewhere around there, usually for about an hour or so. On weekends, I'm usually up in early morning, late afternoon, and for about 2-4 hours late, LATE night.

If anyone has any ideas that are to be discussed, PLEASE, DON'T wait until we "log on" so we could talk, just submit them, that's what the message board is for. This will BE a slow process, however, if we follow our own instincts, THIS will be something to be proud of.

Yes, I would like this to be an "Apprentice" thing, that'd be cool.

Now, Cateran Emp, the cards should be considered in terms of official Magic sets. We want this to be "playable" with all other offical Magic cards. Basically, we should follow WotC's "rules" and basic guidliness on making a "balanced" card. However, each card MUST be unique, good, and creatively made.

That's about it. :)

N

NeuroDeus

Great, thanks for letting me in!

I suggest we discuss what type of mechanics etc should be in the set. Like the Invasion had lots of multicolored abilities and spells and basic land tied mechanics. This will give us a good guideline to base any cards we have in mind...

[Edited by NeuroDeus on 01-08-01 at 03:12 PM]

F

FoundationOfRancor

Ok, sounds cool.

With the whole named and un-named Mechanics thing:

I dont really want to do it, im kinda sick of it, and I want to get away from it. However, alot of abilites werent explored very much. Fading and Cycling, for example.

And I agree with Dues, we should talk about which "Un-Named" Mechnics to use.

Also, lets start nailing down ideas for our own basic mechnics...I gotta go look up mine, I wrote em down somewhere. Ill post later tonight.

Cya all!

A

Almindhra

You know how we've all made cards of ourselves as legends or what-not, but how about making combos of people together?...Or the opposite, making cards that go against or can play off of each other...

Like, whos some buddies out there?...If person 1 is something that makes saprolings, and person 2 gives all saprolings +2/+0 until end of turn...I know that was a poor example, but hopefully you can see what I mean...And we can play off of each other relationship's at the CPA...