Team-made set...

D

DÛke

...will not have enough time to visit this thread more often...maybe once or twice each week. Sorry.

...I have made about 100 cards, and let me tell you something, if not every single one of these cards is as unique as can be, than I will not consider myself to be a good cardmaker at all...

...I also have made a lot of common-like cards, in order to balance the set's rarity...but, what commons did I make...they look like commons, they do common things, but have my little twists on each one of them, making each very playable. I also worked for an over all total of 3 hours perfecting each card, making sure it is perfect in the sense of playing and even more importantly, balanced. Yep, my next batch of cards will even satisfy Istanbul. ;)

Superguy, yes...you may join. Anyone may join. It's not a closed club or anything...one thing, though, please...submit cards, but also comment them. I already seen you have commented few cards, so that's really good. Keep it up, and we'll have another good worker. :)

S

superguy

Thanks! And sorry for not commenting onthe cards, I was kinda dizzy from reading 6 long, long pages. ;)
But hey, it's all good. Here are my comments on mine and some other cards:

Decaying Zombie
2B
Creature - Zombie
When ~this~ comes into play, you may sacrifice another creature. If you do, destroy target non-black creature.
2/1

I think this is balanced enough, and with all the recursion tricks that black has, this fits its purpose perfectly. It is in a way a weakened Bone Shredder for beatdown decks.

Sky Phoenix
3UR
Creature - Phoenix
Flying
When Sky Phoenix comes into play, you may search your library for a red or blue sorcery card, and then discard 2 cards from your hand. Shuffle your library afterwards.
2/4

The fact with this is that it's a moderately priced flyer, but has a relatively high toughness and can fetch you Hammer, Time Walk, Wheel of Fortune, or Timetwister. That's the resaon I gave it the "discard two cards" ability. Maybe, if it's too weak this way, I should add: draw a card in the beginning of the next turn's upkeep, or something like that.

I changed the next card's text from "two non-green creatures" to "two non-token creatures".
~
2BG
Sorcery
As an additional cost to ~this~ sacrifice two non-token creatures you
control. Search your library for a Creature card and put it into play.
Draw a card.

Yeah, this can fetch a Morphling at a price of 4 mana, but the mana is off color and requires an additional price as well.

If you guys think that any of my cards are broken, crappy, or need some sort of wording, tell me.

Now, onto some other cards:

Shadowfire Aura BR
Enchant Creature
Shadowfire Aura has Protection from white.
Enchanted creature gains "T : Destroy target white creature if it is attacking."

This is good and balanced, but perhaps even too weak. Not too bad, but white usually has a lot of ways to deal with enchantments.

Stone of Order 2
Artifact
2, Sacrifice Stone of Order : All players with more than four cards in hand discard cards until they each have four cards in hand.

This is ok. It can be a pretty good drop against those decks that draw like crazy.

Stone of Chaos 3
Artifact
3, Sacrifice Stone of Chaos : All players with less than four cards in hand draw cards until they each have four cards in hand.

This is awesome, yet not broken. It is a card against a control deck also, since they usually have 4 or more cards in hand, and it allows you to refill your hand with goodies.

Quadrifiend BBBB
Creature - Demon
Whenever Quadirifiend is put into a graveyard from play, you may remove it from the game to put 4 3/2 Black Demon tokens into play tapped. Lose 4 life if you do so.
3/2

Oh come on, I'm not sure what the previous version was, but this is still broken. Imagine it with a Phyrexian Ghoul or a Fallen Angel. It's a Breeding Pit on steroids. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, but this is way too powerful. 4 life is not really a price when on the next(or the same) turn you can hit your opponent for 12 damage.

Exert Power RRR
Sorcery
As an additional cost to play this spell, discard a card at random. If that card has a casting cost of 2 or less, counter Exert Power. Destroy all tapped permanents, then tap all artifacts, lands, and creatures.

Very interesting. This can definitely see play in those Phoenix Haups decks, if those still get played. And this is a fun set, right? (I mean there can be cards for casual decks as well). This is not bad. Its great with Turnabout or Breaking Wave.

Dimensional Vortex 2WUB
Enchantment
Creatures cannot be played.
During your upkeep, sacrifice a land, or sacrifice Dimensional Vortex.
When Dimensional Vortex leaves play, return all creatures to thier owner's hand.

Add "in play" after" return all creatures"... Anyways, This is nice. It is part Evacuation, part... well, it's a very original idea. Upkeep is not a small one, but this card can help WUB decks battle creature based strategies.

Lightning Oracle RU
Creature - Wizard
Whenever a player is dealt damage, that player may look at the top X cards of his or her library and arrange them in any order, where X is the amount of damage dealt.
3/2

Maybe a 2/2 would be more balanced? Still a very cool card.

Life Magi GU
Creature - Wizard
Discard a card : Target creature is +1+1 until end of turn.
Discard a card : Target player gains 2 life.
2/2

Maybe:
"Discard a card: Target player gains oe life or prevent the next one damage that would be dealt to target creature this turn"? 2 life a card makes it too Combo-with-bargain-like.
I like the casting cost and the creature pump ability.

Good Job!

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Quadrifiend: Hmm..... How about this?
Quadrifiend BBBB
3/2
1BB, Discard a card, Remove Quadrifiend from the game: Put four 2/1 minion creature tokens into play. Play this ability as a sorcery.

Decaying Zombie could probably become a 2/2. It looks original and usable.

Shadowfire Aura: This card can't be disenchanted, because it has protection from white. If the creature got protection from white instead, it might be a little less broken.

Now for the nitpicking:
CE: In your versions of Istanbul's enchantments, when do you draw the cards?

The word "magi" is a Latin word that is the plural form of "magus." Unless Life Magi is several people, I suggest that it be changed to "magus" or be renamed.

D

Duster

Sorry I haven't been poking around a lot lately, but I am watching, and I know if you're naughty or nice. (Y'all better watch yourselves ;))

So anyway, I'm in DUke's boat and I rarely get a chance to visit the thread (due to school and work, etc).
Also like DUke, I have a ridiculous number of card ideas that's I'll eventually post.

DUke, if you could, send me a private message, I'd like to talk to you :) (Don't worry you're not in trouble, lol)

Take it easy everyone,
Dustin

D

DÛke

...Landkiller, you have good cards there, BUT...I noticed that you have "BBBB" and "RRR" in some of those casting costs...[laughs] This set is to be like Invasion: blend all the colors in together to create more non-mono decks. Good cards though...and it doesn't hurt if we have SOME mono cards...

...plus, this may come as a bullsh*t to some of you, but I would like NOT to have enemy-gold cards. Not in this set. It makes the set more "messed up"...having, for example, UB, UR, UG, and UW cards...there's just no room...so what I'm thinkin' is, we could make this just friendly-colors-gold (like Invasion), and then...if we manage to make another set (a small set since this is the standalone), we'd have ONLY enemy-colored gold cards...it could even be interesting to see how this little alternation affect the storyline (if we have any). What do you think?

Duster...of course I'm not in trouble! [laughs] One PM coming up...

C

Cateran Emperor

No, that version of Quadrifiend is too pitiful to use. I like it best like this:

Quadrifiend
2BBB
Creature - Demon; 4/3
Remove Quadrifiend from the game: Put 4 Demon tokens into play tapped. Treat these tokens as 2/2 black creatures with 'Sacrifice this creature: target opponent discards a card from his hand. Play this ability only if this creature was dealt damage this turn by a source you do not control.'

Wacky yet cool, hrm? Non-green creatures are best when they have insanely wordy abilities ;)

Something else:

Infernal Tactician
2BB
Creature - Demon; 2/3
Flying
All other Demons get +1/+1 for each white creature opponents control.
"The masterminds of the lower planes rarely show themselves, yet their power can easily seen in the massive hordes of demons that are their will manifested."

Reckless Summoner
1B
Creature - Wizard; 1/2
1B, Tap: Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a Demon card, then put that card into play. Lose life equal to its converted mana cost. Then, if you have ten or less life, remove all other revelaed cards from the game. Otherwise, put all other revealed cards on the bottom of your library in the same order.
"I don't care what it is, just send it up you infernal oaf!
-Arnaslin the summoner, last words.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I presume that there are more demons coming?
These cards are definitely original. If we want to include a number of creature subtypes, Demon can definitely be one of them. How many more are coming though?

One request - Given the power of Reckless Summoner, we probably shouldn't make any demons that are near 5/5 for 4 mana or so, because they could be found on turn 3. However, if they have a serious drawback, that might be fine.

D

DÛke

...no offense or anything, but when did we agree that we want a "demon subtypes" or whatever? Demons are ok, but we don't need any unplayable cards, or cards that revolve around a certain deck types...

...this may come as a "shock", but all cards must stand by their own...

Sorry...

D

Duster

They're just ideas DUke, I saylet people post what they want, and if it doesn't fit, it doesn't go, that's just the way it works.
I don't think anybody thought differently.
And idea's an idea :)

S'all,
Dustin

D

DÛke

...don't think I'm being rude. They're great ideas; really neat, but it is not what we are looking for. I am just trying to tell you guys that if you're planning on making cards that will actually fit into the set, please, don't be upset if a card of yours does not make it.

Soon, I'll be "collecting" all the Green and Red cards we've made so far, just like we did with Black and Blue, and I'll post the cards that will be in the set. If you see an idea that doesn't make it in, please, ask all the questions, argue, and shout out your reasons...nothing is final, until we all agree...well, except the main guide lines. :)

Thank you.

I

Istanbul

I also kinda figured that we had enough black cards. Shouldn't we focus on another color?

D

Duster

We're going to need a lot of every color, so please keep the ideas coming for all.
DUke, I recommend balancing every card we've gotten and then posting it, and not counting any cards out of the set just yet.

S'all for now,
Dustin

D

DÛke

...Istanbul, it's almost up to the people who submit cards as to what color(s) they make cards for...lets face it, for example, I RARELY play Red...for Red, my ideas would seem very normal, and probably not new, therefore, I think everyone here is trying to focus on what they know best, which is good...because if you know how Black, for example, works...then you could make good Black cards.

I happen to play (in order) Black, Blue, White...I've played Green before, but never Red...however, I managed to make really great Red, and Green cards...if it gets bogged down, we'll make sure everyone makes NOTHING but the color we need most...but I doubt that'll happen.

Duster, I'm already doin' that. :)

There is rarely a card that will make it into the set as its original version unless it has all the properties we are looking for:

* Balance comes first
* Multi-playability is second
* True-to-color is third, and happens to be very important
* Random other things that might be faulty

There...I predict that by this weekend, I'll be able to post about 50, or so cards...

C

Cateran Emperor

Hrmm. Okay then, I can be flexible with these (I do like theme decks though ;) )

Infernal Tactician
2BB
Creature - Demon; 2/3
Flying
All other black creatures you control get +1/+1 for each white creature opponents control.

Reckless Summoner
1B
Creature - Wizard; 1/2
1B, tap: Name a creature type. Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a card of that creature type then put it into play. Lose life equal to either that card's power or converted mana cost, whichever is greater. Then, if you have 10 or less life, put all other revealed cards on the bottom of your graveyard in that order. Otherwise, remove those cards from the game.

Wordy hrm? Still, I have one simple request. If we can't make creatures which specifically support a certain creature type, then can we at the very least refrain from making any creatures of a generic type? (that would be things like Beast, Minion, et al.)

D

DÛke

...are you asking, Cateran Emperor? That we do not use "Beast", "Minion", and such...as creature-types? I would be happy to demolish such creature types from the set, but as you can tell, we are having a "lack" oc creature "typing", so...whatever comes, should go...but I'd be more than happy to see people actually using different "creature types".

...I see a lot of good cards up there, I'm currently under the process of balancing, and adding them to the current batch of cards that for sure will be in the set.

I also have talked to Duster about the storyline (not to be revealed to you guys yet :)). We don't have a story yet, since it'll take all of us to at least do an outline, but what we DO have is a wonderful idea...no sorry, let me restate my comment: "what we DO have is an EXTREMELY wonderful idea." :D

C

Cateran Emperor

Yep, that's what I had asked. I'm amazed, other people like actual creature types, not just 'Beast', 'Minion', or 'Soldier'. Wow, I'm amazed :D

S

Sidar Jabari

There seems to be a bit of a lull at the moment so I've got some cards for people to check out.

(Thanks goes to Duke for some of these ideas)

Delerious Pulse
RB
Instant
Put target Green, White or Blue creature on top of it's owners library.
Draw a card

Rending
GR
Sorcery
Detroy target Swamp, Plains or Island.

Cleansing Fury
GW
Instant
Remove target Red, Black or Blue enchantment from the game
Draw a card

Holy Resriction (Yes, I am rubbish at making up names!)
UW
Instant
Counter target Red, Black or Green spell

Mind Rip
UB
Sorcery
Look at target opponents hand. That opponent discards a White, Red or Green spell or your choice.

And some white cards

Soldiers of All
1WW
2/2
First Strike.
When Soldiers of All comes into play choose a colour.
Soliers of All has protection from the chosen colour.

Salvation
2W
Instant
Prevent the next 5 damage that would be dealt to any number of cretures or players. Any creatures that had damage prevented by Salvation gain protection from the colour of the source that dealt the damage.

Blessing of the Meek
W
Instant
Put a +1/+1 counter on every 1/1 creature you control.

Amulet Bearer
W
1/1
When amulet bearer comes into play put three amulet conunters on it.
Remove an amulet counter from Amulet Bearer: Prevent all damage to target creature from any source. That creature doesn't untap during it's controllers next untap phase.

Amulet Maker
1W
1/1
When amulet maker comes into play put one amulet counter on it.
Remove an amulet counter from Amulet Maker: Prevent all damage to target creature from any source. That creature doesn't untap during it's controllers next untap phase.
WW, Tap: Put an amulet counter on target creature.

L

Landkiller

Dark Alliance 1UBR
Enchantment
During your upkeep, sacrifice a creature or sacrifice Dark Alliance.
All creatures you control are +2+2.
When Dark Alliance leaves play, untap all creatures.

Mind Swirl UB
Sorcery
Target player discards a card at random. Draw a card.

Angel's Fury 2RW
Enchant Creature
Whenever you are damaged, enchanted creature gets a +1+1 counter.
Attacking does not cause enchanted creature to tap.

Entrapment U2
Sorcery
Remove target tapped creature from the game. That creature's controller may draw two cards.

Azeron's Demand BB
Sorcery
Each player sacrifices a creature. Gain life equal to the toughness of both creatures.

Elven Arrows G
Instant
Target creature gains first strike until end of turn.

Recreate WG
Sorcery
Choose target artifact or land in your graveyard and return it to play tapped.

Whispers from the Void XBR
Sorcery
Remove target creature with a converted mana cost of X from the game. Reveal the top X cards of it's controller's library, and return them in any order. Tap all other creatures with a converted mana cost of X.

D

Duster

hey kids!
I just wanted to say keep the great ideas rolling in!
Thanks to Sidar and Landkiller for their great ideas the last couple of days. I get more and more excited about this project every time I check the boards!

Thanks everyone!
Dustin

F

FoundationOfRancor

Whoo! Kudos to everyone (everyone meaning Landkiller and Sidar:) ) for cranking out these great ideas! Heres my thoughts:

Delerious Pulse:
I like it, its arguably better than Terminate.

Rending:
Balanced!

Cleansing Fury:
Balanced, sideboard material, I suggest a name change though...get back to you on that later, lol.

Holy Resriction (Holy Borders instead?):
Balanced!

Mind Rip:
Balanced, these cards are really good...

Soldiers of All:
?

Salvation: Looks pretty good to me

Blessing of the Meek: Cool, I suggest calling it "Blessing the Meek" though.

Amulets: A+

Dark Alliance: I like it, but I think its not usuable unless we cut it down to two colors. 2BR?

Mind Swirl: Up to par with Hymn, which means its pretty strong. I think its ok though...

Angel's Fury:
Good, but change to:

Angel's Fury 2RW
Enchant Creature
Whenever any source deals damage to you, put a +1+1 counter on enchanted creature.
Attacking does not cause enchanted creature to tap.

Entrapment: Looks good.

Azeron's Demand: A little bit too powerful, I suggest a name suggestion. Here:

Wicked Demand BB
Sorcery
Each player sacrifices a creature.
Each player gains life equal to the toughness of both creatures.

Elven Arrows: Make it a cantrip

Recreate: Hmm....I just dont know...

Whispers from the Void: Crazy, cool, but I see no problem with it.