Mission 1: The Prisoner

T

train

(From what we saw before, were the vehicles high enough off the ground to roll over a fallen tree?)

"I think tree across the road would be good unless they are in a huge vehicle... but all three of us would need to be stationed where we could get good shots at those exiting the vehicle..."

turgy22

Nothing Special
train said:
From what we saw before, were the vehicles high enough off the ground to roll over a fallen tree?
No. The vehicles are pretty versatile for handling rough terrain, but these jungle trees are pretty huge. One would cover the entire road easily and it's unlikely that a driver would even attempt to drive over it.

As far as time needed to cut down a tree, you probably wouldn't be able to cut one down before the vehicle you're currently hearing reaches your position. Then again, I'm not sure you'd want to since that vehicle is driving toward the compound. So if you managed to block its path and kill the crew, you'd still have a tough time getting it over the tree yourselves.

T

train

"Maybe we assault it outright... and when they send out the back-up or search party, I can sneak into the compound... They have to open the doors then... right?"

B

BigBlue

I have an idea.... but I guess I didn't want to use OOCK... I will assume you aprise me quickly of your situation.... to which I'd say, put the dead carcass in the road... And one of you could play dead beside it...

Edit - added the last sentence...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
** yes, we appraise everyone on the ship of what's going on

"BB's idea sounds good. I'll give the others a chance to chime in though"

B

BigBlue

**fyi - I had a typo in my post... it is apprise, not aprise (or appraise)... **

**Yes, I'm a grammar/spelling snob... :D **

Melkor

I'd say the carcass is our best chance to get them to stop but I'm not so sure about somebody playing dead next to it. They'd probably radio that in, and then check it out. Although, if we just throw out the carcass, we risk them just driving by but then I figure we can just try to shoot and ambush them as we planned before.

I also pick up my overheated pistol, damn thing, I've always said that you don't keep these weapons in good working order Captain. Good thing I have my own weapon here.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Sorry about that Melkor, it's the engineer's fault <who I forget at the moment is>. I told him not to buy inferior equipment and/or not to tinker with it to make it "better". That's why you can't go bad with a trusty axe <pats it>.

All right, the carcass sounds like the best ploy. Let's haul it out there"

turgy22

Nothing Special
The lion's carcass is heavy. Working together, Spiderman, Melkor and train drag the carcass into the middle of the road. It's taking up a lot of room, but it's impossible to position it such that it completely blocks the way. The team moves back out of the road, as the sound of an approaching vehicle grows louder.

Back on the ship, BigBlue hears another transmission from the compound.
"Base to Gate: The time is 5.60. What is your status?"
"Gate to Base: Guards on duty. No visitors sited."
After the transmission ends, there is an audible THUMP from the rear of the ship and a slight vibration, as if something hit the outside of the ship.

Spidey, train and Melkor stay low and away as a truck approaches. The truck is about 6m long, 2m wide and 2m high. It's cab appears to be designed for one passenger and a driver, but the windows are darkened such that you can't see inside. The back of the truck is enclosed with armor and has a door sealed from the outside by a large bolt.

The truck slows as it approaches the fallen beast. It stops a few meters from the carcass. A hostile steps out of the truck and approaches the carcass.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Okay gang, train, you open the rear and toss in a Sonic Grenade that I give you, I'll take out the hostile by knocking him out, either with the flat of my axe or by hand, Melkor - you go in the driver's door and take out any passenger. Sound good?"

T

train

"Sounds good..."

(If the gun is cooled down, I'll use it... if not, I've got to move in on him (stealthily) and take him down with the blade... I'll wait until the sonic goes off before hitting the hostile so it provides a good distraction...)

B

BigBlue

Oh goody.... Convey the information across the radio to the party - and let them know we have a "visitor"... run a scan outside the ship... is there any way to use the ships defenses (assuming it's another jungle animal...) Oh, and one problem with your plan... Sonic Grenades will give you away.... :D

turgy22

Nothing Special
The party rushes toward the Hostiles - Spiderman for the one who exited the truck, Melkor for the door of the truck and train to the back of the truck.

Spiderman reaches his target first and awkwardly tries to knock the Hostile out with the flat of his axe. The blow misses.
Melkor opens the door to the cab of the truck that the Hostile exited and sees another Hostile behind a steering console. Melkor fires a quick shot, but misses.
Train reaches the rear of the truck, unlocks it, and opens it enough to toss a sonic grenade in. He closes it again to avoid being affected by the dintinct sonic blast that sounds off a moment later.

The Hostile attacked by Spiderman (Hostile 1) attempts to hit Spidey. He misses, but glances Spidey's armor, cutting open his hand.
The Hostile inside the cab of the truck (Hostile 2) pulls out a Laser Pistol, but instead of firing back at Melkor, ducks out the other door of the truck, out of range of Melkor's weapon.

I know not a lot has happened, but I think the situation is dynamic enough that I don't want to automatically decide who attacks which hostile and how. I'll let you guys sound off if you want to change tactics at all and then continue.

turgy22

Nothing Special
BigBlue said:
Oh goody.... Convey the information across the radio to the party - and let them know we have a "visitor"... run a scan outside the ship... is there any way to use the ships defenses (assuming it's another jungle animal...)
BigBlue apprises the party of the situation just before they move into their own combat. He runs a scan. The jungle surrounding the ship is brimming with life, so it's hard to decipher threats. However, he does notice a larger, more distinct lifeform near the ship's engine, but can't tell anything further.
Oversoul notices that the second Hostile captive (Hostile Captive 2) has regained consciousness. He yells something, but Skrath yells back. Hostile Captive 1 then says something to him and he quiets down.

The ship's primary lasers won't do much good. They point forward and can't be rotated.
The missiles are semi-guided, but would need to be fired while the ship is airborn to hit anything beside what's directly in front of them.
The laser turret can be rotated 360 degrees, but it's built into the top of the ship and won't be able to hit anything moving on the ground.

B

BigBlue

How long would it take to fire up the engines? I'm thinking it might scare off the creature... Or burn it... :D

Also, ask Skrath what they are yelling and screaming about... do they know something I should know about the beast... I had thought about interrogating them... but given the current situation I am occupied...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
BigBlue said:
Oh, and one problem with your plan... Sonic Grenades will give you away.... :D
turgy already posted, but I was figuring that since it was inside, it would muffle the sound of the Grenade.

I drop my axe and just go hand-to-hand with the Hostile, trying to knock him out (what's he armed with to cut open my hand?)

B

BigBlue

Well, I still haven't heard any more chatter on the radio... I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything - as well as the status of our "visitor"...

turgy22

Nothing Special
BigBlue said:
How long would it take to fire up the engines? I'm thinking it might scare off the creature... Or burn it... :D
Not long. Be advised, though, that engaging the primary thruster also carries the risk of burning the jungle.

BigBlue said:
Also, ask Skrath what they are yelling and screaming about... do they know something I should know about the beast... I had thought about interrogating them... but given the current situation I am occupied...
Skrath says the Hostiles threw some racial slurs at himself and Oversoul, so he told them to shut up or he'd kill them. He says there's a lot of dangerous animals in this jungles. The Rogues like to stay in the colonies.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Spiderman said:
what's he armed with to cut open my hand?
Nothing. He cut open his own hand on your armor. (Another one of those "rolled a 1" situations.) I'll try to be more clear in the future.