Mission 1: The Prisoner

turgy22

Nothing Special
BigBlue said:
What about energy? can I detect say where power is coming from?
Yes. I'll try to remember to include that in future scans. For this one, a heightened amount of energy is eminating from the southwest corner of largest building.

BigBlue said:
Oh, and I hate to bring this up now... but before we get involved in any sort of trouble... do we have a chain of command? in case something happens to you captain?
Chain of command is up to you guys. All characters do have a Leadership Characteristic, but that's just there to give skill bonuses in certain situations. I guess for the sake of accuracy, you could use that for a chain of command, but honestly I don't care. Here's a recap of the numbers (which were determined randomly):
Spiderman: 16
train: 11
Melkor: 8
BigBlue: 6
Oversoul: 5
Also, Skrath has a Leadership value of 14 (his technical designation is Rogue Captain), but it's up to you if you actually want to listen to him.
EDIT: I just noticed that Spidey added a chain of command. Strangely, it conforms pretty well to the leadership skills, except BB gets bumped up two slots.

BigBlue said:
And Turgy, is there any way I can make a secure channel on these communicators? Thanks... Also try to use the ones from the hostiles to monitor their communications?
Yes, you can try to make a secure channel on your communicators as well as try to use the Hostile ones to monitor their communications.

T

train

Takes action to get what he can from Skrath...

"Okay Skrath... I want to know it all... and now..."

turgy22

Nothing Special
train begins interrogating Skrath. Before long, it becomes quite evident that Skrath was not even aware that this place existed. In fact, he is relatively sure that your crew is the first non-Hostile party to discover the compound.

Melkor

Well, judging from it's secretness, and the density of people in the scan, this place looks like a ripe target for a prison. Although maybe the Hostiles were just getting together for Bingo . . .

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Great. Okay, we have I believe 3 portable communicators... Who should form the explore party? I'm thinking myself, train, and Melkor with BB and Oversoul staying on the ship, BB to monitor movements and Oversoul to keep an eye on the prisoners and provide backup..."

turgy22

Nothing Special
Okay, before you head out, I just want to make sure you're bringing everything you want with you. Here's what I have now in the exploration party's possession:
Spiderman: Armor, Axe, Backpack, 5 grenades, 3 sonic grenades, 49 Warrior rations, and a Laser Pistol
train: Jumpsuit, Blade, Backpack, 4 sonic grenades, 9 Warrior rations, a Laser Pistol and a Portable Communicator
Melkor: Flight Suit, Portable Laser Cannon, Backpack, a sonic grenade, 38 Warror rations, a Laser Pistol, and a Portable Communicator.

And here is everything stored on the ship that may be relevant and isn't being used by someone else: 4 Laser Rifles, 1 Armored Suit (Rogue), 1 Standard Tech Kit, 1 Standard Med Kit, 2 Magnetic Grippers, 78 Standard Rations and the Hostile Portable Communicator.

Just let me know if your character wants to grab something else. Also is Skrath going with the party or staying on the ship? For now, I'll assume he's staying.

After BigBlue quickly secures a channel on each of your portable communicators, he then taps into the Hostile communicator, attempting to pick up their transmissions. Some Hostile-speak begins coming from the communicator. The crew listens while train translates. It sounds like standard operations for such a facility:
"Base to Gate: The time is 5.40. What is your status?"
"Gate to Base: Guards on duty. No visitors sited."
"Mobile 2 to Gate: Requesting clearance to enter. Access code 47158.
Gate to Mobile 2: Clearance accepted. Proceed to the south entrance for delivery.

Note: I'll keep you informed of further relevant communications.

Spiderman, train, and Melkor step off of the ship and test their communications with BigBlue. Everything seems to be in order. The party begins making its way north, towards the compound...
Two minutes into the trip, the crew hears a noise in the trees above. They look up to see some sort of monkey-sloth creature jumping down towards Spiderman. It attempts to claw him, but misses. As it turns to lunge again, you see its eyes are bright red and its mouth is foaming.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"At last! Combat!"

I swing with my Axe and will keep attacking unless myself or another party member is seriously injured or something else happens to cause the situation to change (like a Hostile patrol coming)

T

train

I'm going to "stealthily" get behind it and shoot it...

"A sucker born every minute..."

Melkor

I want to leave the majority of my rations on the ship, how far are we supposed to be walking?

Secondly, how much sound do lasers make in this universe? Technically, a laser as we understand it doesn't make any sound at all (except for incidental things like whatever technology produces the laser, and things burning that are hit by the laser) but I totally understand if for flavor and game purposes they do. Would just like to know how much commotion we're about to cause by killing this thing. Additionally, what are the chances that a miss with a laser will start fires on things like vegetation?

I'll draw my laser pistol and back away. If it looks like Spiderman hit it and put it down, then I'll do nothing, if he doesn't hit it, and I can get a clear shot, then I'll take it.

B

BigBlue

If Skrath stays with the ship, it can accomplish two things... keep him from turning you in... and he can translate the hostile chatter....

I would suggest taking out the power source, that will limit them and possibly eliminate some security measures.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Melkor said:
I want to leave the majority of my rations on the ship, how far are we supposed to be walking?
The ship is 1km from the compound. If you're trying to figure out how much food you need for the trip, I'm using a kind of metric system of time, because that's easiest for me. There will be twenty "hours" in each "day". There will be 100 "minutes" in each hour. Most actions will take 1 minute. You can walk 1km in 10 minutes. Combat is going to be faster - probably 1/10th of a minute per "turn". Anyway, foodwise, Spiderman needs one Warrior ration every five hours. Melkor needs one every ten hours. And train need one a day. So you won't need a lot - if any - food, although the whole incident in space and landing took about an hour and a half.

Melkor said:
Secondly, how much sound do lasers make in this universe? Technically, a laser as we understand it doesn't make any sound at all (except for incidental things like whatever technology produces the laser, and things burning that are hit by the laser) but I totally understand if for flavor and game purposes they do. Would just like to know how much commotion we're about to cause by killing this thing.
The sound is going to be minimal and it is caused by the power source of the laser. It's like a high-pitched buzz that dies down immediately after the shot. I wasn't envisioning anything as loud as a blaster from Star Wars, but I think phaser fire from Star Trek would be about the same volume.

Melkor said:
Additionally, what are the chances that a miss with a laser will start fires on things like vegetation?
Very, VERY low.

On with the story...

Spiderman lunges at the beast with his axe, but misses as the shifty creature squirms out of the way.
train moves quietly to flank the creature.
Melkor sees an open shot and takes it, but misses wildly in his haste to capitolize on the moment of opportunity.

In the heat of battle, BigBlue is heard over the communicator suggesting that you take out the building's power source first. "Not now," you think.

The creature again tries to claw at Spiderman, but misses.
Spidey takes another swing and misses.
train gets into position and opens fire, burning a hole in the creature's arm.
Melkor fires at the same time as train, but misses again.

The creature seems angrier but undaunted, swiping futilely again at Spidey with his uninjured arm.
Spidey rears back, raises his axe and brings it down hard. The creature tries to move away, but its leg is caught beneath the swing of the axe. The creature lunges forward, but his leg stays where it is. The creature's dark purple blood spurts out from its wound, it shrieks and dies.

Melkor pulls out his communicator and informs BigBlue that you ran into some trouble, but are now continuing on course.

Your party reaches the compound. It sure looks like a prison. You are facing a large metallic wall, 10m high and 50m long. There are no obvious points of entry.

T

train

(Are there any trees I can climb to possibly get a view over the wall?)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
** So much for keeping it going... :)

"Hey, maybe we should ambush a vehicle or something to get in... 'Mobile 2' didn't seem to have any problem entering and we have their access code..."

turgy22

Nothing Special
train said:
Are there any trees I can climb to possibly get a view over the wall?
Yes. It is a jungle, after all. None of the trees extend over the wall, but they're tall enough to get a view over it.

train climbs up a tree and peers over the wall. He sees the south side of the compound clearly. The largest building (1, from the scan) has a large door on its south side. It looks like a loading dock for heavy machinary coming off a truck. Buildings 2 and 3 have doors on their east and west walls, respectively, such that the doors are facing each other. Two guards are in front of the door to building 2 and one in front of the door to building 3, each armed with a laser rifle. A dirt path leads north around the eastern side of the building, but you can't get a clear view of where it ends. A wide dirt road leads north, around the western side of the building. In the distance, it appears to lead into building 4, which looks like a garage.

T

train

(I tried spidey...)

(I climb down and let Spidey know what was seen so he/we can make a decision...)