Mission 1: The Prisoner

turgy22

Nothing Special
I'm going to start the first mission for the space RPG. All storyline narration will appear in italics. All general information (like this) will appear in standard font.

I'm interested in a couple things:
1) How is the pace? The pace of the mission, combat, skill testers, etc.
2) Am I guiding the storyline and decisions too much? Or should I be providing more information and helping more?
3) How's the flavor of the storyline? Stupid? Interesting? Exciting?
For now, I'm going to use the boring names for all the races and planets. Also, I'll be calling the characters by the names of the people playing them. Just chime in if you want to give your character a more flavorful name and I'll switch over.

Here's one last overview of the crew we have assembled:
Spiderman - Warrior Captain
BigBlue - Thinker Technician
Oversoul - Thinker Doctor
train - Rogue Soldier
Melkor - Human Pilot

It’s been a long time since you’ve been out in space. The crew is getting listless. You need a mission. You’ve spent the past four months here on Planet G-5, living off the reward of your last mission and funds are getting low. Your ship has been docked the whole time. She needs to get back out in space. But it’s not that easy. You need a purpose to leave – a reason to get out and get moving again. Perhaps this will be the day.

Spiderman walks into the bar and surveys the room. There’s a Rogue sitting by himself in a booth, back to the wall. He looks tiny and frail in a seat designed for a Warrior’s frame. His eyes swing wildly back and forth… he’s looking for something. He hasn’t met you yet, but he knows enough about you. You sit down at the booth and look at him hard.

“Skrath?” you ask.

He nods.

You continue, “Train said you have some work for us.”

“Yes. Need some help.” His voice is raspy. Raspier than most Rogues, anyway. “Have a brother. He some caught in little problem in Hostile territory, see? Need out. You help. Pay ten thousand.”

“Ten thousand’s not worth the time it took me to walk here.” You need this mission, but you get up as if to leave. You know how to deal with Rogues.

“Wait! No! Please! Many friends try help. Many not return. Need brother out. Pay fifteen.”

You pause, glancing back. “Make it twenty and I’ll think about it.”

He’s shifty, nervous, cautious, but desperate. “Okay! Twenty thousand! Deal! Just get brother!”

“I want the money up front.”

“No. Have not. Need brother first. Second money.”

“Fine. But in that case you’re coming with.”

You quickly grab him by the back of the neck and drag him out of the bar. It feels good to be working again.

Prior to leaving, the crew has the opportunity to visit the traders in the area for any additional supplies. Here is a list of the available items and the best prices you can find on them:

Warrior Meal Ration
The Warrior Meal Ration provides twice the sustenance of a standard meal ration, as well as providing a small strength bonus.
Price: 2 for 5 credits
Backpack
Price: 12 credits
Portable Console
Price: 750 credits
Portable Communicator
Price: 50 credits
Laser Pistol
Price: 110 credits
Laser Rifle
Price: 550 credits
Grenades
Price: 55 credits
Sonic Grenades
Price: 70 credits
Standard Medical Kit
Standard Technical Kit
Ship Missiles
Price: 120 credits

EDIT: Forgot some relevant information. The rogue (Skrath) informs you that his brother was captured on Planet Q-7, which is about 10 days away. Assuming you return to your current location, you should probably stockpile food for a 25-30 day mission.

T

train

So right now we have no basic equipment and this is our chance to get it?...

Are there "pockets" on my jumpsuit for storing items?

T

train

Yep - a jumpsuit and a blade...

but that is it... so before I "stock up" I wanted to make sure I did or didn't have storage space... it kind of lets me know whether or not to buy a backpack... ;)

turgy22

Nothing Special
Spiderman said:
What do the Ship Missiles do? I can't find a description for them in the other thread...
Ship Missiles are the missiles that are fired from your ship during combat. You have six to start with.

train said:
Are there "pockets" on my jumpsuit for storing items?
Yes. The jumpsuits and flightsuits have pockets for storing small items (food rations, credits, communicators). Additionally, the thinkers' aqua suits have pouches for storing slightly larger items (such as consoles & kits). Anything larger will need to be stored and carried in a backpack.

I'll update the descriptions in the original thread.

Here's a refresher of what the crew starts with:
6 Laser Pistols
2 Laser Rifles
6 Ship Missiles
1 Armored Suit (Rogue-sized)
1 Radiation Suit (Thinker-sized)
1 Space Suit (Human-sized)
1 Standard Technical Kit
1 Standard Medical Kit
1 Tow Cable (50m)
2 Magnetic Grippers
2 Backpacks

Spiderman: Axe, Armor, 1000 credits
BigBlue - Aqua Suit, Tech Kit, 1000 credits
Oversoul - Aqua Suit, Med Kit, 1000 credits
train - Jumpsuit, Rogue Blade, 1000 credits
Melkor - Flight suit, Portable Laser Cannon, 1000 credits

B

BigBlue

I guess I'll buy a Portable Communicator and a Portable console... then buy 40 rations... The remaining 100 creds will be available for party use...

*Any rogue who doubles his price and doesn't offer any $ up front has me thinking we won't get paid at the end of this... I hope the salvage is good...*

***I think the pace is ok - a little too much decision making perhaps, but we need to keep the ball rolling, so as long as we agree with your decisions keep going with 'em... it's when we feel pushed we'll squawk...***

turgy22

Nothing Special
I've updated to original thread with information on how much can be carried in a suit and how much everything weighs.

In summation:
Warrior Armor has no pockets or pouches. Everything must be carried by hand or in a backpack.
Aqua Suits have a large pouch that can carry up to 5kg.
Rogue Jumpsuits have four pockets capable of carrying up to 1kg each.
Human Flight Suits have two pockets capable of carrying up to 2kg each and two smaller pockets capable of carrying up to 1kg each.

T

train

I would like a backpack, 20 warrior meal rations, and 4 sonic grenades... so I'm spending 317 credits...

Standard Medical Kit: The Standard Medical Kit contains tools and materials to treat minor injuries such as cuts and minor burns.
Mass = 2kg
Advanced Medical Kit: The Advanced Medical Kit contains tools and materials to treat moderate injuries such as breaks, gashes, and major burns.
Mass = 3kg

turgy22

Nothing Special
Oversoul said:
What is the difference between the basic med kit and the standard med kit?
Oops. There is no difference. Just a typo on my part. I'd been using them interchangably in my notes and then missed some when I decided to stick with "standard".

Spiderman said:
How much damage do the missiles do? And how much damage can the various ship types take?
Right now I have missiles doing 2d20 damage.
Laser damage varies based on the position of the wing. Extended = 2d12, Retracted = 5d6.

The damage a ship can take is divided out among the six sides of the ship (top, bottom, 2 sides, front & rear) and will be done based on where the attack came from. As soon as one side reaches 0, the hull is breached, those rooms on the ship are considered useless or, in the case of smaller vessels, the entire ship is destroyed. Here's some initial numbers:
Ship Front Rear Side Top Bottom
Fighter 15 20 20 25 30
Bomber 40 60 40 75 80
Shuttle 20 35 25 50 50
Cruiser 60 80 80 100 100
Battleship 110 120 120 140 140
Carrier 240 250 280 300 300

Transports will vary a lot depending on their size. Additionally, parts of a ship may get hit randomly instead of the hull. Destroying a thruster, wing or the bridge of an enemy ship may disable it for boarding.
Boarding is done by extending a plastic tube (built into your ship) from one airlock to the airlock of the other ship.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, but what about the "basic" medical kit?

Edit: Nevermind. Turgy's post wasn't up at the time I started this one.

turgy22

Nothing Special
train said:
I would like a backpack, 20 warrior meal rations, and 4 sonic grenades... so I'm spending 317 credits...
I came up with 342 credits:
1 Backpack = 1*12 = 12 credits
20 Warrior MRs = 20*(5/2) = 50 credits
4 Sonic Grenades = 4*70 = 280 credits

That leaves you with 658 credits.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I'm thinking there should be backpacks for everyone, so that's three more (2 from the ship and 1 from train's). I'll appropriate 36 of BB's extra credits to get them.

With my 1000, I'll get 2 more sets of Missiles for 240 total, 6 Grenades for 330 and 6 Sonic Grenades for 420, for a total of 990.

"Eh, let's go crew, time's a-wasting!"

T

train

"Ready when you are captain..."

(squints his eyes and smirks at the thought of forthcoming action...)

(your total was correct... I changed the number of rations after calculating it and forgot to include the change...)

B

BigBlue

Aye Aye Captain. The ship is ready when you are.

(* So Mr GM... If a Techie wants to work to improve the ship... How can I accomplish this? I figure that's the sort of thing my char lives for... *)

(* What are our "roles" aboard ship? I'm obviously engineer... but do we have a weapon's officer, science officer, communications, etc? I read the ship description... we have 4 stations on the bridge I think (Captain?, Helmsman, Science/Communications, & Weapons) and one in the engine room... I will handle the engine room, though I'd really like science/comm when I can... *)

T

train

either way I can stealthily move from station to station... heh...;)

Melkor

Well, I'm not the best pilot on the ship, but gosh darn it, I intend to pilot this thing anyway. I'll also buy a personal communicator and the appriopriate number of rations, and I also want to liberate a laser pistol from the ship stores. Also, I was wondering what the language situation in this part of the galaxy is. Like the movies, everyone speaks english, or are there universal translators, or something else?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Since we're inevitably going to get in a fight, and since I'm a total pansy that will try to avoid sitting in anyone's line of fire, I'll pick up some grenades. Not sure how many I have room for...

And yeah, I'll appropriate a laser pistol from the ship as well.

Edit: And food of course.