Mission 1: The Prisoner

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Good work train. So what do you guys think about ambushing a vehicle? From what train has described, the garage is out of the way so we could leave hopefully unnoticed... Or we could attempt to go over the wall at an out-of-the-way point...

B

BigBlue

I'm scanning and listening for Hostile chatter... let me know if something comes up...

turgy22

Nothing Special
BigBlue said:
I'm scanning and listening for Hostile chatter... let me know if something comes up...
Nothing further at this point in time, but the crew has only been gone about 15 minutes. It seems like it's been days, hasn't it? :)

Melkor

I like the idea of ambushing a vehicle but we don't know how long it is between when they come in and out, and I think we are in a hurry. How big is the compound? How fast can we circle it?

turgy22

Nothing Special
Melkor said:
I like the idea of ambushing a vehicle but we don't know how long it is between when they come in and out, and I think we are in a hurry. How big is the compound? How fast can we circle it?
BigBlue's scan showed the compound to be 60m (~200ft) by 50m (~165ft).
I had your pace through the jungle at about 0.1km every minute (~3.7mph). Since the circumference of the compound is 220m, you could circle it completely in about 2.2 minutes.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming there's a road leading to the compound, let's scout out a good ambush site then (obviously out of sight of the compound, maybe near a bend in the road or something.

turgy22

Nothing Special
You follow the wall of the compound west and then north. You see on the northern wall of the compound is a huge gate, about 20m wide. Next to the gate is a guard post, built about 5m high into the wall. It appears set up to look directly out over the road, which runs due north from the compound. train sneaks in closer to see that the road turns sharply west about 50m north. This seems like an ideal spot to ambush a truck.

You begin making your way through the jungle to avoid being sited by anyone in the guard post. You walk within visual distance of the road and await an unsuspecting vehicle. From out of nowhere, a giant six-legged jungle cat (about the size of a lion) flies at Spiderman, attempting to claw him, but misses. It must have been lying in wait as your party passed by. It seems quite vicious and hungry and rears back, preparing to attack again.

T

train

"Burn baby... burn..."

(fires the laser pistol at the hexa-lion...)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Some mad scientist in the compound is probably wondering why his creations aren't coming to get their dinner right about now...

turgy22

Nothing Special
BigBlue said:
(Are you folks involved in a Prison Break or a Safari? :p )
Oversoul said:
Some mad scientist in the compound is probably wondering why his creations aren't coming to get their dinner right about now...
Keep in mind that the compound is in the middle of a jungle on an alien planet.

I'll give Spidey and Melkor some time to plan their attack.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Crap, why'd everything attacking me? :)

Of course I defend/attack with my axe (my standard response in case I don't post in a timely manner, like on weekends - or I'm outnumbered or severely wounded).

turgy22

Nothing Special
Okay, as far as combat goes, I'll assume that Melkor takes the same approach as last time.

train whips out his pistol and fires at the hexa-lion, hitting it squarely on the back. It seems generally unphased by the injury. Melkor fires and misses. Spiderman swings and misses.
The hexa-lion turns toward Melkor and attempts to bite him, but Melkor easily evades the attack.

train fires again and hits again, hitting one of the cat's legs. Again, the injury from the laser pistol is minor. Melkor attempts to fire again, but his pistol overheats*, slightly burning his hand and causing him to drop his weapon. Spidey swings again, missing.
The lion, perhaps realizing that train is the only one hurting him, turns toward him, attempting to claw him, but train is so agile that he never really has a chance.

train attempts to fire back, but his pistol overheats as well. Melkor, having a second weapon in his portable laser cannon, pulls it out with his other hand and fires, just missing the large cat. Spiderman takes another unsuccessful swing.
The lion again targets train and pounces on him, knocking him down on his back, causing some minor bruises.

*Overheated weapons are a result of rolling a 1 on a combat roll while using an energy weapon, so don't think it's because you did anything wrong. They'll require a minute to cool off and are then good as new.

Speaking of rolls, your team, unfortunately, is getting some really bad ones this session. Seeing as train is dinged up and without his pistol for a minute (1min = 5 combat turns), I thought I'd give you the opportunity to regroup if you so desire or change your attack strategy.

Also, to answer Spidey's question, right now I'm determining who gets attacked randomly. As you can see, you just got unlucky at first.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Skrath joins Oversoul near the hostages and yells something at them in Hostile. The conscious Hostile yells something back. Skrath then says something else and the Hostile remains quiet.

Skrath turns to Oversoul and tells him the Hostile shouldn't be any more trouble.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Humph, all of that inactivity on that planet must have made me rusty. Mental note: do more training exercises."

I keep swinging of course.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I believe Skrath, but I'll keep my pistol at ready anyway (as a precaution if the hostile manages to escape his bonds).

turgy22

Nothing Special
train rolls out of the lion's way and pulls out his blade in anticipation. Melkor fires again, hitting the lion squarely on its side. A sizable chuck of flesh is blasted away. Spiderman follows up with another swing of his axe, laying a solid hit on the lion's back. You hear a distinct crack as its spine breaks. It falls limp, but its not quite dead. It begins yowling softly as blood pours out of its wounds.

As the group calms from the combat and begins to collect themselves, a low rumble is eminating north of your position... the sound of an approaching vehicle. The direction indicates that it is on its way toward the compound.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If there's time, I'll put it out of its misery and drag it into the brush... then suggestions on how to ambush? The 'ol tree across the road trick?