Lord of the Rings LCG 4 Player Game Actions

B

boogiepop

We know what has popped up, heh. There are 3 enemies in the staging area. Since you're first Spidey, which will you choose to optionally engage?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure how ranged works again? But my two Spearmen can engage the King Spider and kill it outright, yes?

B

boogiepop

You as a player engage enemies. Your Spearmen can then individually choose to defend against individual attacks. So both your Spearmen cannot defend against a single attack (unless, of course, a card made that viable.)
Ranged characters can make or join attack on enemies engaged with other players.
Sentinals can defend against attacks from enemies with other players.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I only have Legolas who is Ranged. So I'm thinking it would be better to keep him out of direct combat and assist someone else who is. So if this is correct, I'll pass on having my heros engage.

turgy22

Nothing Special
If my understanding is correct, Heroes do not engage, players do. Also, seeing how our three current enemies are all below each player's threat level, if both you and Rokapoke choose not to engage any enemies, they will engage us automatically.

The Forest Spider, having the highest threshold, would engage you. Then the King Spider would engage rokapoke. Finally, the Black Forest Bats would engage boogiepop. So, in effect, you don't really have the choice of engaging, it's going to happen anyway. You do have the option of engaging more than you would be assigned by default, though.

After the engagement, the three enemies attack each player who they're engaged with and that's where we have the option to block the attacks with characters (heroes and allies). Your sentinels also have the option to defend other players.
Finally, each player has the option to attack the enemies he's engaged with. This is when you can use your ranged ability to attack enemies engaged with other players.

B

boogiepop

Thank you for doing the explaining, turgy. Your understanding is indeed 100% correct.

R

rokapoke

So I'm trying to figure out how we can kill all 3 without losing any of our characters...

If Spidey uses a Spearman to block the Bats, that works great.
I can engage the King Spider, blocking with Beravor (who takes 1 damage). I can then kill the Spider by attacking it with Glorfindel. So that works great, too.
Finally, if Spidey voluntarily engages the Forest Spider, it will not get the attack bonus. It can then be blocked by the Horseback Archer (who takes 1 damage), and killed by Legolas.

Any input on this plan?

turgy22

Nothing Special
Finally, if Spidey voluntarily engages the Forest Spider, it will not get the attack bonus.
Does this work? I assumed that voluntarily engaging the spider would still cause it's bonus to activate.

At any rate, I agree with Rokapoke's plan. Although, if the spider gets its bonus, then Spiderman will have to sacrifice one of his allies.

R

rokapoke

I double-checked the rules, and it would appear that either a player engages an enemy or vice-versa... only one is "engaged."

... if I read that correctly. Boogiepop?

B

boogiepop

Fantastic. We're on the move again. I'll get this all done tonight.

And yes, I believe that is correct, rokapoke.

B

boogiepop

Deal Shadow cards. A Spearman defends against the bats killing it outright. Necromancer's Pass (the shadow card) gets discarded with it.

Next, the Horseback Archer defends against the Forest Spider. The shadow card Mountains of Mirkwood has no shadow effect, so he takes just one damage. (Yay, all those pesky locations are getting discarded.)
I'll assume Legolas and the other Spearman will attack and kill it, (adding 2 progress tokens per Legolas's ability.

Last up is Beravor. The King Spider gets dealt Old Forest Road! :)
No damage and Glorfindel dispatches the arachnid handily.

Any actions before we finish this round?

B

boogiepop

A'ight, everyone refreshes and raises their threat levels.
Next turn. Add resources and draw a card.
Time to play allies and attachments.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Question: I have a Blade of Gondolin (Attached hero gets +1 ATK when attacking an Orc. Response: After attached hero attacks and destroys an enemy, place 1 progress token on the current quest). Does all of this apply to Legolas if he uses his Ranged ability; is that considering attacking?