D&D: Horror on the Hill: Beginnings

B

BigBlue

Patrick

Go back to the Inn, have a decent dinner, then go to bed.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You each pay 1 sp for a good fish meal with veggies and bread and an additional 1 sp to sleep on a straw pallet in the back. You awake, pay 1 sp for breakfast, and head to the docks where Rory is waiting.

"All right, it's good to see you didn't have second thoughts. First things first, gold please."

T

train

Si'Nat

"Here you go... (hands him 30gp...) seems there'll be a smoke signal letting you know when to ferry over for us... I didn't get to ask you yesterday - anything you know about the hill?"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"I know enough not to get involved with it. You fellas are just crazy."

He shakes his head as you board his "ferry"/raft. As you do so, the Old-Timer comes ambling up.

"I"m glad I caught you before you left. I found something which might help you in your adventures."

He holds up a bottle of clear liquid.

"This here will help heal wounds, but you gotta use it sparingly. There's only enough for three swigs."

B

BigBlue

Patrick

"Thank you very much! We'll be sure to use it wisely, and we'll bring you back a nice souveneir."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
** I assume Patrick takes it then

You all board the ferry/raft and push off. The current is slow but since the river is so wide, it takes a while to cross. After three turns, you're about halfway across and can see two clearings, one north and one south. The south one has a waterfall. Everywhere else there's underbrush and no clear spot to land. Rory speaks, "So where do you want to go?"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It takes three more turns to get to the clearing. It's a pleasant expanse of grass and flowers that surrounds a 15' waterfall, with the stream going down to the river. The water looks cool and refreshing. The clearing itself is about 900' E-W and 1200' N-S, with the waterfall in the NW corner and the stream running SE. There's a trail also in the NW corner but everywhere else it's a thick tangle of trees and underbrush.

After you disembark, Rory says, "Good luck to you!" and pushes off again, back towards the fort.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Wilhelm immediately gets out his ink, quill and map book, to make accurate sketches of their boat ride and the shore line of the island.
"Wow, that waterfall looks beautiful. and it would be a natural place to start looking, as it's a resource used my men and animals alike."

B

BigBlue

Patrick

I'm certain this serene setting won't be as peaceful - or as evil as rumor and first impressions.

We should begin by looking in the stream and at the waterfall, perhaps there is a passage behind the falls which leads into the hill... Also, we may see signs of refuse in the water or streambed if they use it as a sewer or to remove refuse - to gauge what we may be facing. What is the wildlife like? Birds chirping etc? Let us know if/when there is a change in "natural" sounds.

T

train

Si'Nat

"Well... the forest area kind of seems like home... but alas... you never know how the homecoming welcome will be..."

(Looks around for any trails he may spot, and prepares his bow...)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
** Movement rate is about 1 turn for every 300'

It takes you three turns to cross the clearing to get near the waterfall. Investigation shows no passages behind it. The stream is clear and clean, no sign of refuse. No real signs of wildlife, but everything seems fine - usual noises, birds chirping, etc.

The only trail is the one mentioned in the NW corner, about 300' away from the waterfall.

T

train

Si'Nat

"Well... there's the way..."

(Begins leading the group in that direction...)

B

BigBlue

Patrick

Assuming the water is clean, I'll drink some and make sure my waterskin is full.

(* is it the same rest 1 turn for every 6 when outside to avoid fatigue? *)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
** Okay, here's a map. The Party is represented by the purple "P", the trail is red, thick underbrush is the green, the river is dark blue, the streams are light blue, and the Fort is to the east.

Scroll to the right to see it.

Attachments