Coldsnap Previews

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
turgy22 said:
Ophidian was so much better.
I have been out of the game too long to address most of the other stuff very well, but I agree with this. Ophidian has the advantage of only needing one colored mana AND the advantage of being blue. I remember it being so good because I could counter my opponent's first spell or two with cheap counters, drop this and protect myself with Force of Will, then use the card advantage to maintain control over the game. Forbid was especially nice with this (and Thawing Glaciers helped too). It was also cool in blue/black decks, but Thieving Magpie's evasion would have been more than worth the extra mana if that extra mana hadn't been colored. This new Viper will likely have the same problem the Magpie had in this respect.

L

Limited

Putting it into play would be way too nasty..

I do like the fact that Proper Burial was in Dissension; now there's a nice card to combo with Recover.

H

hrothmar

come on....a dinosaur? in a bloody ice age?

oh wait...its a magic dinosaur!

@limited: then lets build deck with it!

G

Gizmo

Youre joking, right? 0-cost to clear the board is AMAZING

Anytime you're about to die but Sunscour saves you because you can cast it for 0 then spend your 5 mana laying a big fat angry man and go on to the win the game. If ANY card is worth paying 3 cards to play then it's a Wrath that kills 5 of their cards (for example).

Also good with Dovescape. I'd expect to see 4 of this in almost any Dovescape UW deck.

L

Limited

Dovescape? You'd really use three cards to make six tokens?

The only thing I think might happen, is people combining it with Loxodon Hierarch to wipe the table but keep their own stuff.. but its very narrow.

O

orgg

Whaaat? No Swampwalk? No 'DINOSAUR' creature type?

What a ripoff!!!

Seven mana for an 8/8, or severe card disadvantage for a terror target.

O

orgg

oh. cute. or something.

not that cute, really. Kinda... lame.

L

Lythand

Ransac said:
According to the new Podcast, the token card to represent Marit Lage from Dark Depths will be the prelease card, or at least be given out to players at the prelease.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Sweet. Im going next week. Ill let you guys know.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I agree with Gizmo. Regardless of the regeneration flaw, 0-mana to potentially wipe the board clean will see a lot of play.What other "WoG"-type cards are in standard right now?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
As you may or may not have gathered from the A. Rider thread, the token card won't be the pre-release card. But, it will still be given out to every participant.

Ransac, cpa trash man

N

Nightstalkers

On one hand they brought back the * p/t thing... On the other hand it's a sad mana cruncher with that sadistic alternative casting cost...

okay, so that's just sad.

G

Gizmo

Limited said:
Dovescape? You'd really use three cards to make six tokens?

The only thing I think might happen, is people combining it with Loxodon Hierarch to wipe the table but keep their own stuff.. but its very narrow.
7 tokens, while leaving AAAAAAAAAAAALL my mana untapped to do anything I want with it? Yes, that's worth 3 cards, particularly if I'm playing Skyscribing.

L

Limited

Wow! It costs seven to cast normally? Its even worse than I thought ..

I kinda see your point of Skyscribbing + Dovescape + Sunscour.. but that still pretty narrow. I think it'll be expensive in the beginning but'll drop of to bargain rare pretty fast.

D

DarthFerret

Still, in a draft, might be a handy game winner. Thinking that I might try to steer towards green as a major draft consideration at the pre-release. Still debating the other color(s).

G

Gizmo

To be honest it's just Dovescape + Sunscour, there's a ton of synergy between those cards. I'm not saying it's a worldbeater - but I wouldnt rule it out of being a worldbeater either... Dovescape is a card who's time in the tournament limelight will come, and the whole 'get to 6 mana, generate 7 tokens, and counter all your attempts to remove them' sounds like a strong turn to me.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Snatched this card while logging onto MTGO today (been a while for me). Once again, went to MTGSalvation.com for a link for a pic of the card.

Garza Zol, Plague Queen
4UBR
Legendary Creature - Vampire
Flying, haste
Whenever a creature dealt damage by Garza Zol, Plague Queen this turn is put into a graveyard, put a +1/+1 counter on Garza Zol.
Whenever Garza Zol deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card.
5/5

Holy card-drawing Sengir, Batman!

Ransac, cpa trash man

N

Nightstalkers

Again we take a trip in our way back when machine and peruse a set called Legends...