Coldsnap Previews

B

BigBlue

What green deck can't use a 1/3 ophidian basilisk for 3 mana? Sort of makes a 2/4 old basilisk for 5 kind of pointless...

G

Gizmo

Ridiculously good, stupid in green, no relation whatsoever to any Ice Age card that shows what utter BS their "we had these card ideas sat around" is.

This is a ****ing good card, which is why I hate it... it's just another example of Wizards flagrantly increasing the power ratio of cards to get people to spend money.

O

orgg

"Hoaly Sheeyit!" were my thoughts. It's an amazing card, one that could put green control (or, as it was called, "stupid green") on the map once again.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Garza's Assassin

Well, truth be told, I've never been a fan of cards that require you pay half of your life for abilities. On a basic look, it's a 3-cost 2/2 that sacrifices to destroy a non-black creature. Possible two-for-one with chump blocking. However, it's ability throws me off.

Recover - Pay half your life rounded up (Whenever another creature is put into your graveyard from play, you may pay half your life, rounded up. If you do, return this card from your graveyard to your hand. Otherwise, remove this card from the game).

I dunno, seems like an iffy ability to me. I kinda hoped it would be "return from graveyard to play", especially if the Recover cost is half your life. And if you lose a creature and decide not to pay your life, he's gone for good. I like the creature sans the ability, but I'm not a fan of the ability, at least not with this particular cost.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Update: Read through the whole article now. Found this quote:

"The Assassin is unique among recover cards for two reasons—he's the only creature (the rest are instants and sorceries), and he's the only one with an “alternate” recover cost (the others all require mana)."

With this in mind, I now like the recover mechanic. It now makes the "returns to hand" rather than in play more understandable.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Cover of Winter

Okay, it's really not a preview thread. I found it in today's Arcana. But, it's still a new card to discuss.

Interesting card. I've seen the "age counter" used on another card now. Seems to be a theme, as well. Nice stall card. If I ever build a white snow deck, I'd play this.

Ransca, cpa trash man

L

Limited

I love the fact that he's a walking Seal of Doom, but agree that Recover shouldn't have had the 'remove it otherwise' clause; it destroys toolbox possibilities (and bombo's with Dredge)

L

Limited

this is soooo totally nasty.. i like the way this combo's with Chisei, Heart of Oceans.. and with Crypt Rats/ Hammerfist Giant

L

Limited

i get the feeling that soon we'll need to ban snakes from casual tribal games as well :(

D

DarthFerret

I still think that on this particular card, it should be put into play when recovered. The cost is just too great just to put it back in your hand.

B

BigBlue

Sure, it makes sense with the assassin to put it in play, but the recover mechanic doesn't normally do that, so the template would be thrown off...

That doesn't change the fact that 10 life to get him back is too much... if you are at 4 life, 2 life isn't worth spending to get him back, at 10 life, 5 life isn't worth it... unless you have some way of getting back life easilly... he's too expensive to recover that way... reanimation is always a possibility, but I like Nekrataal better in that case...

B

BigBlue

I'm waiting for the new format.... Truly Vintage - where you can't play any cards printed in Urza's or later... because the game just get's sillier and sillier as time goes on with making more powerful cards...

That said... if they made equal or less powerful cards, who'd buy them? They have to improve on the game... I like limited best when playing anyways, I just don't play anymore.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Let me be the first (and only) person to say that this card sucks.

Ophidian was so much better. It didn't require double-blue mana, so I could splash it into my blue/black deck. And it was common, so I had no trouble getting four copies.

Thicket Basilisk was cool because it said "blocks or becomes blocked." You could theoretically Lure it to kill 1000 creatures. This thing needs to deal damage to kill creatures. There's no way I'm wasting a deck slot on a Giant Growth effect just to putz around in combat.

Besides, who's not just going to block this dude with a Vhitu-Ghazi-produced saproling every turn? Or tap it down with Glare? Or Dark Banish it? Or Last Gasp it? Or trade it with a Centaur Safeguard or Sadistic Augermage? And that's only commons. Putrefy and Mortify will welcome a trade with it and a Rakdos Augermage will tear it a new one, if the Hellbent Gobhobbler Rats haven't gotten a chance to block it yet.

That doesn't mean it completely sucks. It has two things going for it. First, it's a Snow creature. That's totally awesome and I'm excited to see how he can get used in snow decks. Second, the art is freaking awesome. I already loved Kev Walker's art, but he hit this one out of the park. This may, in fact, be the coolest looking snake ever in Magic.

Seriously though, I know I'm wrong. It's a great card and I hope I can play with it. But it is sort of boring. The way you guys are reacting to it make you sound like the Magic alarmists over at MTGSalvation. I'll bet that this card won't break any formats or let anyone win on the first turn. The most it will achieve is being a 4x in some mono-green deck that maybe wins a tournament or two. The power level on cards isn't nearly what it used to be. Just because it's not as low as the level of Mercadian Masques doesn't mean Wizards is flagrantly pushing power just to sell cards. Making a "lost" set Standard-legal? Yes. But pushing power levels? No. Almost every Magic environment is as fun or more fun than it's ever been in history and I don't see Coldsnap (certainly not one creature in Coldsnap) changing that.

So don't buy the cards, if you don't want. Play the game. Enjoy the game. Sit back and relax, because it's just a game.

N

Nightstalkers

The set after Timespiral makes the card better. Other than that it's just... eh... blah. The problem is with the fact that you can't get a good infinite creature kill + life not needed scenario.

O

orgg

I'm wondering what the heck is with everyone thinking that "Snow" is going to be cool.

When Arcane was previewed, I said that it was "snow covered done correctly" (or possibly "Snow covered done right," as I have a southern accent and tendancy to type as I talk). This is "Snow covered revisited, now that we've played with Arcane and had some good ideas on this thing that looks for other things and how it should be done."

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
According to the new Podcast, the token card to represent Marit Lage from Dark Depths will be the prelease card, or at least be given out to players at the prelease.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Listening to the new podcast and overheard them discussing the prerelease card: Allosaurus Rider. They loosely mentioned it's abilities, but I found an image of the card via MTGSalvation.com. I won't be previewing any cards they list, merely using them for cards Wizards announces without providing an image.

Allosaurus Rider

Ransac, cpa trash man