Coldsnap Previews

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Hang on to your butts! This first one's a doozy.

Dark Depths

They start off by giving us, in my opinion, and card that casual players will enjoy. A way to slowly and surely give us a 20/20 indestructable flyer off of one card. Who'da thought that Marit Lage was that powerful.............. but then again, I never read the books and don[t know if he's supposed to be or not.

Ransac, cpa trash man

L

Limited

The card does seem a bit.. overdone? If someone would have suggested it in our Lets-Design-A-Set thread, I would have sooo axed it :D

But, obvious combo with Aether Snap..

L

Lythand

OMG I love it. Not really a great Standard level card, unless there is another card in the set that compliments it, but in Exteded format, it will rock! Aether snap and Dark depths make it an almost must have for extended black decks. And an awesome Multiplayer combo.

J

jorael

Very cool!

Also it will probably paint a very big bulls-eye on you during multiplayer...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Stalking Yeti

Hey, now. This card ain't half bad. A 3/3 for 4 mana is so-so, but its ability is AWESOME! Plus, new mana symbol for mana generated from a snow-covered permanent!!!

Ransac, cpa trash man

N

Nightstalkers

So the coming into play ability only works if the yeti is still alive during resolution? i.e. your opponent has a dozen Aether Flash in play and you've just cast the yeti... it has to survive to resolution of the yeti's effect to work?

And this whole "new mana symbol" crap smells just like it is. What really burns me is the fact that the symbol looks just like the Ice Age set symbol.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Nightstalkers said:
So the coming into play ability only works if the yeti is still alive during resolution? i.e. your opponent has a dozen Aether Flash in play and you've just cast the yeti... it has to survive to resolution of the yeti's effect to work?
Wow, this seems like it will have to be in the FAQ for anyone to really understand it.

Nightstalkers said:
And this whole "new mana symbol" crap smells just like it is. What really burns me is the fact that the symbol looks just like the Ice Age set symbol.
Word...... (wow, how 70's does that sound?)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ransac said:
Who'da thought that Marit Lage was that powerful.............. but then again, I never read the books and don[t know if he's supposed to be or not.
I seem to remember that Marit Lage is actually supposed to be female. But I'm not sure where I got that idea. Maybe one too many hits from a lead rabbit...

N

Nightstalkers

Mooseman said:
Wow, this seems like it will have to be in the FAQ for anyone to really understand it.
I'm just saying because of the added wording "if it's in play."

I'm not familiar with this added wording.

L

Limited

Just to be clear:

The if clause is also checked on resolution, so the cip effect does nothing if the Yeti isn't in play (because it has be terminated or bounced) to avoid the Yeti becoming "7 mana: ~ deals three damage to target creature" (which wouldn't be really broken, but just really out of flavor, in my opinion).

(A lesson learned from the Parallax cycle)

N

Nightstalkers

kk, just how I thought it would come out. Knowing the Gaia crowd, there'll be lots of kids trying to abuse that.

Ferret

Staff member
Okay, Dark Depths is wrong. Period. All you need is a combo that generates 30 mana and you've got the ultimate Timmy critter. I've seen quite a few of them used in Emp games of MTGO. Darksteel Golems were bad enough, now we have this thing. Spare me...

Ferret

"For fun, throw in that 'Fan' card from Unglued..."

H

Homestar

If Coldsnap is gonna be in T2, I can only imagine people are going to use it with Urzatron. Anywhere else, I'd imagine Grim Monolith+Power Artifact will be a popular combo.

Honestly though, they are really overdoing it. That card is just stupid. A 20/20 Indestructible Flyer!?!?

Though I will say, the art on Dark Depths is AMAZING!! It's definatly great looking

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Just so everyone knows I'm not crazy: http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ia/curse_of_marit_lage.jpg

Check the flavor text. Marit Lage is, in fact, a chick. Up until now, I always got the impression that she was a planeswalker (I say "up until now" because WotC has seemed to stick to the sensible policy of not making planeswalkers into creatures, as planeswalkers are supposed to be the ones playing the game in the first place). But apparently she's just one very steroided chick...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
To the Every Card Singleton Drafters: Remember that our draft is up to Dissension, so you guys with the infinite combos can't grab the depths. Hah!

Ransac, cpa trash man