Call for Second Singleton Ultimate Draft

M

Modus Pwnens

We'll see soon enough, but I don't think Crucible came as a surprise, not after I took the mine.

B

BigBlue

I have to say - this format is just strange... I don't know all of the cards... And I haven't played in a tournament in forever... Let alone play in a format like this.

So, I consistently feel like I'm drafting some cards which could be around - but I've seen several I wanted get grabbed already...

As far as commenting - I think it's rather unsporting to discuss undrafted cards in the hopes someone might pick it (either to keep it from someone else - or to sabotage their decks). I'd like to see card comments kept strictly to previous selections... and by the by - I don't care if I'm a buffoon for picking xyz card when it would have been available later - or for picking a useless card. I have flame resistent long johns (not tights like a certain webhead).

As far as a draft "plan"... I don't have one. It's like a piece of clay which is getting molded with each pick. I'm trying not to be too reactionary in my picks.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
You know, I was hoping that we could get throw this tourney without another storm deck that either wins on turn 1 or 2 or doesn't win.

Ransac, cpa trash man

turgy22

Nothing Special
You seem to be under the impression that Oversoul's storm deck didn't always win. It's silly to expect the most successful strategy of the last tournament to go completely unused.

Personally, I was hoping (and still am) that the strategy would get watered down among a few players. BPC's off to a good start, grabbing the tendrils early, along with LED, Mind's Desire, Dark Ritual, and Yawgmoth's Will. But he's still a long way from duplicating Oversoul's deck, with the most obvious exclusion being Black Lotus. And he's not going to get his hands on Lotus Petal and Tinker. I also have to believe that he's not going to get ALL of the following cards for himself: Mana Crypt, Chrome Mox, Mana Vault, Memory Jar, Yawgmoth's Bargain, Time Spiral and Frantic Search. And finally, there's the question of whether or not he'll be able to play the deck as well as Oversoul did. But if he does, and is successful, then that's really no one's fault but the other seven players who allowed him to pull all those powerful cards.

Every new format is made to be broken.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Isn't this supposed to be fun?
I am not a good drafter and don't see the things you guys are talking about...
I don't know all the combos and have no idea what cards will go at what time in the draft.
I have a general idea what I want, but no real plan.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
It is supposed to be fun. There's nothing wrong with discussing potential picks/strategies.

Ransac, cpa trash man

turgy22

Nothing Special
Yeah, this is definitely fun. In fact, I think the drafting is the funnest part, before we get to the actual playing and I realize that my strategy completely sucked.

Now it looks like Modus grabbed the Tinker/Colossus combo. As good as BPC's deck is bound to be, I'm really starting to fear Modus.

B

Budget Player Cadet

I doubt Long.Dec is gonna be effective in singleton sans P9.

M

Modus Pwnens

Ransac said:
The Colossus was the card I was referring to. Good pickup, Modus.

Ransac, cpa trash man
I couldn't take the risk you were going for crucible LD, when I want the stripmine crucible lock :)

Oh well, I guess my next pick should make BPC quite unhappy :)

M

Modus Pwnens

No, and I've changed my mind. You'll still not like it, but the card I had in mind can wait a bit longer, there are better options available for my deck.. I will get it though, so don't worry ;)

M

Modus Pwnens

Just like in any limited format, the cards you don't use form your sideboard. You can wish for cards that are in your sideboard or were removed from the game during the game.