Call for Second Singleton Ultimate Draft

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
The rules that I had sorted out before:

1. You may select from any Vintage Legal card. Banned Vintage Cards: Chaos Orb, Falling Star, Any Ante Cards.

2. All sets are legal EXCEPT: Unglued and Unhinged. This means the Portal sets are legal.

3. Once a card has been drafted, it may not be drafted by anybody else.

4. Once the draft is over, you may use as many basic lands as you choose.

5. If it has been three days since the player before you has drafted, you turn may be skipped. If you are skipped, you may make up your pick at the end of the regular draft.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
We still have to hammer out whether new sets will be added as they are released. So far I count 4 no's.

We'll let a neutral party like TomB determine the order :) But we still need an 8th person...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ransac said:
The rules that I had sorted out before:
1. You may select from any Vintage Legal card. Banned Vintage Cards: Chaos Orb, Falling Star, Any Ante Cards.
Also any subgame cards..... this will take long enough to do.
Ransac said:
2. All sets are legal EXCEPT: Unglued and Unhinged. This means the Portal sets are legal.
Upto Morningtide, no matter how long this takes to draft.... I agree with Modus Pwnens on this one.
Ransac said:
3. Once a card has been drafted, it may not be drafted by anybody else.
Really, I would not have known that due to the name of the draft.... :rolleyes:
Ransac said:
4. Once the draft is over, you may use as many basic lands as you choose.
How many rounds is the draft?
Ransac said:
5. If it has been three days since the player before you has drafted, you turn may be skipped. If you are skipped, you may make up your pick at the end of the regular draft.
Let's not include Sat and Sun in this count.... Only Mon thru Fri.

If anyone drafts Dwarven Pony on their first pick, they could very well get a game one win over me as I might just concede to them.... :D

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Mooseman said:
Also any subgame cards..... this will take long enough to do.
I agree. No subgame cards.

Mooseman said:
Upto Morningtide, no matter how long this takes to draft.... I agree with Modus Pwnens on this one.
I'll also agree on no more sets after we start...... however, I'd like to include Shadowmoor........ :(

Man of Moose said:
How many rounds is the draft?
Draft until you reach 45 cards. Whether you use all the cards you draft or not is up to you.

Stupid Steelers' Fan said:
Let's not include Sat and Sun in this count.... Only Mon thru Fri.
I'm going to strongly disagree with this. If your day is Thursday, then Friday, Monday, Tuesday, it'll be almost a week before we skip you. Weekends count. If you're skipped once, it's not the end of the world.

Mooseman said:
If anyone drafts Dwarven Pony on their first pick, they could very well get a game one win over me as I might just concede to them.... :D
And that you should. :D

Ransca, cpa trash man

turgy22

Nothing Special
I agree with Ransac about including Shadowmoor. It's only 10 days until the prerelease and we still need an 8th person and we still need to determine the draft order. By the time that all gets done, it'll probably be closer to 5 days until Shadowmoor comes out. Considering this thing will take about a year, I'm willing to wait a couple days for a couple hundred extra cards.

Although, IIRC, not a whole lot of non-shockland Ravnica-block cards got drafted in the last run, so it might not make a difference.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Whining Seahawker fan said:
I'll also agree on no more sets after we start...... however, I'd like to include Shadowmoor........ :(
Sure why not....

Whining Seahawker fan said:
I'm going to strongly disagree with this. If your day is Thursday, then Friday, Monday, Tuesday, it'll be almost a week before we skip you. Weekends count. If you're skipped once, it's not the end of the world.
But its only your turn after the person in front of you drafts, so it's not like it's scheduled that way....... but to try and be the none whiner here... :D How about the weekend only counts as 1 day and your pick will need to be in by Monday or be skipped. Very few people log on to this site over the weekend and I do a lot of conventions that are Thur, Fri, Sat and Sun, so I could easily be skipped while I'm away...

Melkor

I'm not adverse to not counting the weekends. How's that for a bunch of negatives? Seems that some participants just can't get online on the weekends and it would put an unfortunate strain on them to be overly watchful near the end of the week.

My recollection is that things moved pretty well after we established the time limit and not counting the weekends didn't slow things down that much.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Well, I'm still strongly opposed to it, but whatever the majority feels happen. But, like I said, being skipped isn't the end of the world. You'll get your pick again at the end of the draft.

That being said, doing a draft like this is a HUGE undertaking. I'd like to stress to the participants that you try to remain involved as much as possible. There were a few situations last where a card was drafted twice (and the problems were fixed without any serious issue), but it takes someone taking a step back and looking at the whole of the current body of work every once in a while to keep things streamlined.

IF someone is going to be gone for a prolonged period of time, give a list of hopeful picks either to a non-participating member OR to a member that you trust. I believe that Melkor had a friend register and post his picks from time to time, while Homestar (while he was still in it) found someone in the draft you trust (Homestar gave me a list of cards for him).

IF you realize that you will NOT be able to dedicate yourself to this after the draft has begun, please make it YOUR responsibility to find a replacement for the draft. We lost two members of the first draft (Homestar and Zigathon) either to lack of time or lack of interest. As a result, we lost competing against the likes of Umezawa's Jitte, Necropotence, and Yawgmoth's Will.

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

BigBlue

Hmmmmmm.....

I guess I'll try my hand at this...

Are the games 1-1 or MP? Match play? Sideboards?

Is it 30 rounds with a 40 card deck?

or 45 rounds with a 60 card deck?

M

Modus Pwnens

If we draft till 45 cards I believe we'll make 40 cards decks. Is this correct?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah! BB is in!

I believe it was 60 card decks, but someone might remember better... I know *I* made a 60 card deck, at least. So it may be whatever works for you with 40 minimum. Someone else better chime in.

So are we all agreed Shadowmoor is the last set to be included? I mean, I think the P9/cards on the Restricted List are gonna go first anyway, so we can probably start now and Shadowmoor would be released by the time anyone considers any of those cards...

I'll PM the list of players to TomB so he can randomize the order.

M

Modus Pwnens

This is going faster than I expected. Joy!

I do believe that it's safer to set a limit for decks though, as a 40 card deck will be more powerful than a 60 card one. I don't really care one way or another, but 60 is quite a lot, condering that quite a few players might want to force green (just an example, there might be another popular color :rolleyes: ), and some of them switching at some point gives them less options. If we draft 45 cards, I'd say 40-card decks will give everyone plenty of deck-building options, but that's just because I draft a lot, and 45 cards can already prove a challenge in turning it into a 40 card deck, and that's with the random crap I get pick 10-15.

At 60 cards, people will cut about 5-7 cards max, and it's very well possible to play with all 45, which can be both an advantage and a disadvantage.

All I'm saying is that we should make a decision before we're getting started.

I'm personally in favour of allowing 40-card decks, as it allows people to switch later in the draft without too harsh consequences.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Yeah, we do 45 rounds and 40 card decks. It's essentially the same as a booster draft in that you're picking 45 cards to make a 40 card deck.

M

Modus Pwnens

The difference is that with these kind of drafts, every pick should be playable, while in Lor/Lor/Mor drafts, the first 5 picks of Lorwyn and all 15 picks from Morningtide usually end up in my deck ;)

Oh well, 40 cards it is.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
BB: There are 1 on 1 matches.

ON the subject of decksize: You can make any size deck that you want, with a 40 card minimum. Keep in mind that after the draft, you are allowed to add as many basic lands to your deck as possible. I personally found success building a 60-card deck. since I drafted several cards with similar functions, it wasn't much of a problem playing "60-card highlander."

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

BigBlue

I don't think I'll do very well, but I'm willing to give it the college try...

I don't know any of the newer cards... I never played much with anything from Urza's and beyond. It's almost easier for me to get a pile of cards to look through - rather than trying to search through 20,000 cards to find the "1" I need right now. I hate to have a deck concept going in - since it'll be foiled by someone else for sure.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You never know... black and blue were fought over a lot, so pick a color/strategy that won't seem like other people will take it :)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
It seemed to me that everybody leaned towards favorite colors or cards in the first rounds and then formulated drafting/deck-building strategies based on what cards they managed to grab in the first several rounds. It seemed to me that Red was the least drafted color in the last draft, with green as a close second.

Ransac, cpa trash man