The Ultimate Magic Draft

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I agree that the biggest competition in colors will be in Blue and Black. They seem to be the colors that abuse the most. I have a feeling that certain cards are going to be sought after by numerous players in the next couple of rounds. I better draft mine picks while I can.

And turgy22 made a few correct observations in his post. :D

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, since Wrath of God means a fairly heavy white commitment, I hope to get the better white cards before Ransac :)

I agree that no red cards have been picked but am trying to rack my brains for a combo that might use his cards. All I can think of is a big burn spell :eek:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
If I weren't me, the only person who would be worrying me right now more than me would be Melkor...

Melkor

I'd say that Oversoul, turgy, and myself definitely have some overlap in the cards we're going to want. Still, it's to be expected, black and blue are the best colors, and tutor type cards seem like they'd be pretty strong in this format.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, since this is highlander anyway, all the best blue and black cards are up for grabs. I still expect to see the other colors heavily represented by someone, though.

I'd be worried about me because I have drafted mainly bombs and support for them. But even I don't know what my deck is shaping up to be, exactly.

Spiderman is shaping up to have a strong (white heavy) control deck. With power cards everywhere and draft-size decks, this will be a fast-paced format, so I'm wondering whether he'll go for something high-risk and deadly as a win condition, or make his deck very slow and capable of taking control of the game entirely so that he can win at his leisure. It's too early to tell.

Ransac seems to be going with a blue/white control deck, but I haven't figured out what his plan for it might be.

I already know what Melkor is doing and it scares me more than anyone else here. I was comfortable until he drafted Mana Drain. I hate that card so much.

Homestar seems to be working on his manabase for now, so there's no telling what he's really up to.

Darthferret appears to be building a fast green deck. With the emphasis on blue and black, he may have the bulk of the powerful green cards to himself. He's already snagged Fastbond.

Lythand already has an infinite combo, but beyond that, his deck is still a mystery.

Turgy has jumped right on the tutors and could be up to something dangerous, but I'm sure I won't be able to tell until it's too late.

Zigathon is going for black control. I don't like it because he's already taken one of my cards: Necropotence.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I think that Oversoul's analysis is pretty spot on. Though, he never stated what HIS plans were.

I know what they are. He's going to swerve, start drafting red, and build his deck around "Dwarven Pony".

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ransac said:
I think that Oversoul's analysis is pretty spot on. Though, he never stated what HIS plans were.
I WAS going to go with a suicidish black deck with stuff like Necro and Bargain, but after seeing that Zigathon grabbed Necropotence, I decided to start grabbing bombs outside of black. Not sure if I'll stick with U/B or not. We'll see...

L

Lythand

I have a question. Even though this is singletone. Can we use multiple of the dual lands when we contruct?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Lythand said:
I have a question. Even though this is singletone. Can we use multiple of the dual lands when we contruct?
Ha! No. You want dual lands, you draft dual lands. :p

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hence's Homestar's jump on Savannah...

The only cards that can be used in multiples are basic lands.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh no! Homestar was on last night and posted in the New Members forum but not here! What's the penalty for that? ;)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Fifteen lashes with the whip!!!!!! Or the paddle!!!!!!....... Or the goat!!!!!!!!!

Ransac, cpa trash man

Z

Zigathon

Man, I haven't had a chance to get online lately... I thought I'd be up by now.

D

DarthFerret

Tell me about it Zigathon, I am on Deck, and poised ready....

<sigh>

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Homestar was on yesterday and posted in the werewolf thread, but didn't make a draft pick. I say we lynch him or PM him or at least bump the thread or something...

H

Homestar

Hey guys I'm flying out to New York today so I might not be on until next saturday. I'm not sure if the uncle's houseI'm staying at has a computer or not but if it does I'll definatly be on, if not, just letting you guys know =P

I will PM my next couple of picks to Ransac so I don;t miss out =P. See you guys later!