The "Let's Design a Set Together" Game

E

evan d

Limited said:
To go with landcast:

Constant Gardner 1GG
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay (1). If you do, return a basic landcard from your graveyard to your hand.
1/1
kinda weak, as only usable agianst red, which will rip a 1 toughness apart without even blinking.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
evan d said:
kinda weak, as only usable agianst red, which will rip a 1 toughness apart without even blinking.
Not neccessarily. This could work well in discard decks, too.

Ransac, cpa trash man

D

DarthFerret

The Whispering Wood

Land

The Enchanted Forest comes into play tapped.

T: Add one colorless mana to your mana pool.
1T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
2T: Deal one damage to any target
3T: Add two mana of any one color to your mana pool
4T: Deal one damage to each creature without flying and each player

The magic around the enchanted forest was overpowering and unpredictable! - Gull the WoodCutter!

The second M:TG book inspired this for me. I was surprised that they never made a card for this and chose the Giant Badger as the signature card for that book.

L

Limited

evan d said:
Well, it might too weak, but I figured with landcast spells all colors are able to discard lands.. so this 'll let them play those spells for (1)

Originally, I made him 2/1 for GG, with "At the beginning of your upkeep, return a basic landcard from your graveyard to your hand" but it is an instant combo with Solitary Confinement, so I downgraded it a little.

L

Limited

DarthFerret said:
The Whispering Wood

Land

The magic around the enchanted forest was overpowering and unpredictable! - Gull the WoodCutter!
Seems like too much abilities for one card. Feels a lot like Staff of Domination.
And is it supposed to refer to itself (Enchanted Forest = Whispering Wood?)

Because I like that idea: a cycle of kick-ass non-basic lands, who all have the drawback of letting the others (or a specific other) come into play tapped (or destroy it or something).

(PS the term Enchanted Forest might cause confusion when people have cast an Aura on a Forest)

L

Limited

evan d said:
bear variation
creature-bear
2G

2/3 tap for g
Bear Necessities 2G
If you control less than three lands, Bear Necessities gains "T: add GG to your manapool".
2/3

How is this for a Stompy-enabling deck?

(edit: perhaps it should be 'less than four' seeing as it costs three)

L

Limited

Mooseman said:
Another tough wording card so I'll explain the intent first and then people can make template changes.

A creature that becomes an enchantment after it deals combat damage.
It will then deal 1 point of damage to that player or creature every upkeep.
Would be nice if it returned to a creature after the player or creature dies......

Stirge
1BB
1/2
Whenever Stirge deals combat damage to a player , stirge becomes an aura that states "during upkeep of player, Stirge deals 1 point of damage to that player. If player life total becomes less than 1, Stirge returns to play as a creature with a +1/+1 counter on it."
Whenever Stirge deals combat damage to a creature , stirge becomes an aura that states "during upkeep of creatures controller, Stirge deals 1 point of damage to that creature . If creature is put into any graveyard, Stirge returns to play as a creature with a +1/+1 counter on it."
I really like this, but I think that perhaps it should be two seperate cards (I am seeing Insect Brothers right now, but my mind has the tendency to wander :p )

I am having trouble templating the player-combat trigger, but perhaps it could be:
"Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on ~ and it becomes an enchantment with "At the beginning of your upkeep, ~ deals one damage to each opponent" until that player leaves play."

This way, it gets the counter immediately, but seeing as it is an enchantment it does not affect it (but it'll combo great with Opalescence, as it will accumulate the upkeep triggers :) )

Perhaps we need to simplify the abilities (and split them up):

Vitavorious Maggot 1BW
Fear
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, it becomes an enchantment with "At the beginning of your upkeep, ~ deals two damage to each opponent" until that player has three or less life.
2/1

Carnivorous Maggot 1BG
Trample
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a creature, put a +1/+1 counter on ~and it becomes an Aura with Enchant Creature and "At the beginning of your upkeep ~ deals one damage to the controller of the creature it is attached to" attached to that creature as long as that creature is in play.
2/1

Hmmm... perhaps it still not very simple. Perhaps the damage part should dropped on the second one?

Carnivorous Maggot 1BG
Trample
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a creature, put a +1/+1 counter on ~ and it becomes an Aura with Enchant Creature attached to that creature as long as that creature is in play.
2/1

Opinions? Have I moved away too far from the original idea?

turgy22

Nothing Special
A few thoughts so far:
Limited said:
To go with landcast:
Constant Gardner 1GG
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay (1). If you do, return a basic landcard from your graveyard to your hand.
1/1
Actually, that wouldn't go with landcast as I proposed it. I had the lands removed from the game. I think just discarding the lands really limits how powerful the landcasted cards can be. The cycle I created was on the weak side, but I was thinking about coming up with cards that were much better. If the lands are RFG, your mana base is permanently stunted, which can open up slots for cards like this:
Insane Black Creature
2BB
Creature - Ghoul
Fear
Swampcast 2
3/1

If the Swamps are RFG, you have a risky first turn creature that really upsets your mana development. If they're discarded, you can cast this guy, Dark Ritual and Crucible of Worlds and have a 3/1 Fear creature on the first turn with no discernable drawback. In hindsight, I suppose that opening hand is pretty unlikely, but it still seems too risky.
If you guys would rather have discard than RFG, that's cool, but then I think future landcast cards should be limited to late-game non-permanent spells.

evan_d said:
alternating realities UUUX
enchantments
everything has phasing including players
All permanents have phasing.
I have no idea how this would work. Can you give a player phasing? And what is the X in the casting cost for?

evan_d said:
Newgrounds
Instant
GGG
sreach your library for 2 forests and put them into play untapped
if GGGG, 3 forests or 2 forests and draw a card...
I think this might work better worded as a kicker:
Newgrounds
Instant
GGG
Kicker G
Search your library for 2 Forest cards and put them into play. If you paid the kicker cost, draw a card, or search your library for an additional Forest and put it into play.

DarthFerret said:
The Whispering Wood
Land
I think this is WAY too good to be a land. Compare it to Rod of Ruin, for example: You play it for free, and can do one damage for one less mana. I think these multi-purpose lands are a great idea, but the abilities really need to be dumbed down. Or maybe add some color requirements to the abilities:
GT: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
1RT: Deal one damage to any target
2GT: Add two mana of any one color to your mana pool
3RT: Deal one damage to each creature without flying and each player

Limited said:
Because I like that idea: a cycle of kick-ass non-basic lands, who all have the drawback of letting the others (or a specific other) come into play tapped
Me too.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Limited said:
I really like this, but I think that perhaps it should be two seperate cards (I am seeing Insect Brothers right now, but my mind has the tendency to wander :p )

I am having trouble templating the player-combat trigger, but perhaps it could be:
"Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on ~ and it becomes an enchantment with "At the beginning of your upkeep, ~ deals one damage to each opponent" until that player leaves play."

This way, it gets the counter immediately, but seeing as it is an enchantment it does not affect it (but it'll combo great with Opalescence, as it will accumulate the upkeep triggers :) )

Perhaps we need to simplify the abilities (and split them up):

Vitavorious Maggot 1BW
Fear
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, it becomes an enchantment with "At the beginning of your upkeep, ~ deals two damage to each opponent" until that player has three or less life.
2/1

Carnivorous Maggot 1BG
Trample
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a creature, put a +1/+1 counter on ~and it becomes an Aura with Enchant Creature and "At the beginning of your upkeep ~ deals one damage to the controller of the creature it is attached to" attached to that creature as long as that creature is in play.
2/1

Hmmm... perhaps it still not very simple. Perhaps the damage part should dropped on the second one?

Carnivorous Maggot 1BG
Trample
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a creature, put a +1/+1 counter on ~ and it becomes an Aura with Enchant Creature attached to that creature as long as that creature is in play.
2/1

Opinions? Have I moved away too far from the original idea?
A little far away. Yes it may be two creatures, but what I want it to do is be a Stirge..... (see D&D)....
Once it damages a creature it becomes a creature enchantment that sucks the life from the creature....... hmmm.
Ok the creature that it enchants should get a -1/-1 counter every upkeep until dead. then the Stirge would return to play as a creature. The +1/+1 counter can go on it at either time

Stirge
1BB
1/2
Flying
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a creature , put a +1/+1 counter on it, ~ becomes an aura with "enchant creature" that states "During upkeep of enchanted creatures controller, put a -1/-1 counter on enchanted creature . When creature ~ enchants leaves play, ~ returns to play as a creature.

King Stirge
2BB
1/2
Flying
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player , put a +1/+1 counter on it, ~ becomes an aura that states "During upkeep of player last damaged by ~, that player loses 1 life . When player leaves game, ~ returns to play as a creature.

E

evan d

the newgrounds was a joke (newgrounds.com), as was the alternating realities. THe bear joke is best personified in that bear necessities. I dont think it should be a un- set, but a little humour at how the game is made. How there is allways the predictable cards that you know must be in there; like the bear, the white weenie, the big green creature, the black dicards, the red burn and ld cards, the blue counters... I find the joy in reading about new sets is how the varience is in the cards i know would be there.

on alternating ralities, the everything has phasing was the joke, but to give all permanets phasing would be nice, especially if you play a second one when everything is phased out. WOuld it work work so that when someone plays something that also gets phasing?

The flavor text for it would be: I refuse to acknowledge your reality and I supplement my own- Useless legend from Legends

teh maggots remind me of the cycle that could become creature enchantments, as an ability. Licids...

R, T: Convulsing Licid loses this ability and becomes an Aura enchantment with enchant creature. Attach it to target creature. You may pay R to end this effect.
Enchanted creature can’t block.

stronghold adn other sets

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Mana fixing, because of all the land destruction

Elemental Signet
Artifact
T: Add 1 colorless mana to your mana pool.
T: Add 1 mana of any color lands you control do not produce to your mana pool.

Z

Zigathon

Brainsaw 3
Artifact
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, Brainsaw deals 1 damage to him or her for each card in hand less than four.
If that player has no cards in hand, that player draws a card and Brainsaw deals 1 damage to him or her.
Rare

Second Thoughts 1U
Instant
Counter target spell, then shuffle it into its controller's library.
That spell's controller may draw a card.
Common

The Youngling Game 2R
Instant
All creatures you control get +2/-1 until end of turn.
Draw a card.
"Last one to the bottom wins!" Norx shouted... then died.

These cards are from a set I've been working on. Figured I'd share the wealth to further the cause.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Zigathon said:
Second Thoughts 1U
Instant
Common
And to go along with this anti-dredge card....

Abandon The Search
2W
Enchantment
Whenever a card would be put in a player's graveyard from that players library, you may pay 2 and remove target card in that graveyard from the game.

Deep Cistern
3U
Enchantment
Whenever an opponent's draw is replaced, you may draw 2 cards and then put one card from your hand either on the top or bottom of your library.

L

Limited

(An enchantment is only an Aura when it is supposed to be attached to something; What was formerly known as 'global' enchantments are still just enchantments.. cards that said Enchant Creature or Enchant Land have become Enchantment - Aura)

Z

Zigathon

Land Of Dreams
Land
T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Land of Dreams does not untap during your next untap phase.
Uncommon

T

TheUglyKnight

Gleaming Cube
5- Artifact
X : Look at the top X cards of your library
XX: Look at the top X cards of your library rearrange them in any order
XXX: draw X cards

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Here are the cards so far (I think)
If I missed any please add them to this list.
There are 52 cards so far.
How many vanilla cards are in a set?

(WHITE) - 5

Abandon The Search - Submitted by mooseman
2W
Enchantment
Whenever a card would be put in a player's graveyard from that players library, you may pay 2 and remove target card in that graveyard from the game.

Bigger White Flying Bomb - Submitted by turgy22
2WW
Creature - Bird
Flying
Sacrifice ~ to remove target attacking or blocking creature from the game.
2/3

Giant White Flying Bomb - Submitted by turgy22
5WW
Creature - Bird
Flying
Sacrifice ~ to destroy all attacking or all blocking creatures.
4/5

Little White Flying Bomb - Submitted by turgy22
1W
Creature - Bird
Flying
Sacrifice ~ to deal 2 damage to target attacking or blocking creature.
1/1

White Prevention Landcasted Card - Submitted by Turgy22
1WW
Instant
Prevent the next 5 damage to target creature or player.
Plainscast 1
Landcast X: You may remove X land cards in your hand from the game instead of paying this card's casting cost.

(BLUE) - 7

Alternative Reality - Submitted by Mooseman, tweaked by Limited and Ransac
1UU
Instant
Counter target creature spell. If a spell is countered this way put that card into play under your control instead of into its owner’s graveyard unless any player pays (2).

Blue Bounce Landcasted Card - Submitted by Turgy22
1UU
Instant
Return target permanent to its owner's hand.
Islandcast 1
Landcast X: You may remove X land cards in your hand from the game instead of paying this card's casting cost.

Capricious Efreet - submitted by Limited
1UU
Creature - Efreet
Flying
When ~ comes into play, put two cards from your hand on top of your library
3/3

Deep Cistern - Submitted by mooseman
3U
Enchantment
Whenever an opponent's draw is replaced, you may draw 2 cards and then put one card from your hand either on the top or bottom of your library.

Revered Djinn - Submitted by Limited
4U
Creature - Djinn
Flying
Whenever a creature blocks ~, it loses flying permanently
3/5

Second Thoughts – Submitted by Zigathon
1U
Instant
Common

Switch - Submitted by Mooseman
X1U
Instant
Target player draws X cards, then puts X cards on top of their library in random order.

(BLACK) - 6

Awaken the Dead - Submitted by Ransac
1B
Instant
Return target creature from any graveyard to play under your control. Remove this creature from the game at end of turn.

Black Removal Landcasted Card - Submitted by Turgy22
1BB
Instant
Destroy target non-black creature.
Swampcast 1

Blood Drainer - Submitted by Ransac
3BB
Creature - Vampire
Flying
Whenever a creature is dealt combat damage by Blood Drainer, put a -1/-1 counter on that creature and a +1/+1 counter on Blood Drainer.
3/3

Dark Caprice - Submitted by Oversoul
3BB
Instant
Put your hand on the bottom of your library and move any number of cards in your graveyard to your hand. You take 1 damage for each card put into your hand in this way.

King Stirge – Submitted by mooseman
2BB
Creature – Bird Legend
1/2
Flying
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player , put a +1/+1 counter on it, ~ becomes an aura that states "During upkeep of player last damaged by ~, that player loses 1 life . When player leaves game, ~ returns to play as a creature.

Stirge – Submitted by mooseman
1BB
Creature - Bird
1/2
Flying
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a creature , put a +1/+1 counter on it, ~ becomes an aura with "enchant creature" that states "During upkeep of enchanted creatures controller, put a -1/-1 counter on enchanted creature . When creature ~ enchants leaves play, ~ returns to play as a creature.

(RED) - 11

Capricious Giant - Submitted by Limited
1RR
Creature - Giant
Haste
When Capricious Giant comes into play, put a land you control on top of your library
3/3

Charging Mugroth - Submitted by Ransac
4RR
Creature - Mugroth
When Charging Mugroth comes into play, destroy target land
During your upkeep, if your opponent has 5 or more lands in his or her graveyard, you may sacrifice Charging Mugroth and search your library and hand for a Gigantical Mugroth and put it into play
4/3

Explosive Goblin - Submitted by turgy22
1R
R: Sacrifice Explosive Goblin to have it deal damage equal to its power to target creature or player.
1/1

Fire Maiden of Caprice - Submitted by Mooseman
1R
Creature - Fire Maiden
When Capricious Fire Maiden comes into play, put two cards from your hand on top of your library
0: Put a creature you control on top of owners library. Capricious Fire Maiden deals 1 damage to target creature or player
T: Put land you control on top of owners library. Destroy target land that is also a creature.
2/1

Gigantical Mugroth - Submitted by Ransac
6RR
Creature - Mugroth
Trample
Whenever Gigantical Mugroth deals damage to an opponent, destroy target land.
6/5

Harpy of the Genju Forest – Submitted by DarthFerret
2RR
2/4
Flying

When Harpy of the Genju Forest is placed into any graveyard from play,
deal 1 damage to each creature without flying.

Red Burn Landcasted Card Submitted by Turgy22
1RR
Instant
~ deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
Mountaincast 1

Switchblade - Submitted by Mooseman
R
Instant
Target creature’s toughness becomes halved (rounded up), or Target creature’s power becomes halved (rounded down).
Entwine 2

Unrhystic Lightning - Submitted TheUglyKnight
R
Instant
Change the target of target activated ability, unless it's controller pays 2. If he/she does, deal 4 damage to target creature or player instead.

Volatile Mugroth - Submitted by Ransac
2RR
Creature – Mugroth
Sacrifice: Destroy target land
Whenever a land goes to the graveyard from play, you may sacrifice Volatile Mugroth and search your library and hand for a Charging Mugroth card and put it into play
2/1

The Youngling Game – Submitted by Zigathon
2R
Instant
All creatures you control get +2/-1 until end of turn.
Draw a card.
"Last one to the bottom wins!" Norx shouted... then died.

(GREEN) - 6

Bear Necessities – Submitted by Limited
2G
Creature – Bear
2/3
If you control less than four lands, Bear Necessities gains "T: add GG to your manapool".

Capricious Wurm - Submitted by Limited
1GG
Creature - Giant
Trample
When Capricious Wurm comes into play, put two creatures you control on top of your library
4/4

Constant Gardner – Submitted by Limited
1GG
1/1

Grabaland – Submitted by TheUglyKnight
GG
Sorcery
Search your library for a basic land and put it into play tapped, if its a forrest you may untap it.

Green Pump Landcasted Card – Submitted by Turgy22
1GG
Instant
Target creature gets +3/+3 until the end of turn.
Forestcast 1

Unrhystic Resonance - Submitted by TheUglyKnight
G - Instant
Destroy target enchantment unless its controller pays 1, if he does put a 2/2 bear creature token into play under your control.

(ARTIFACT) – 4

Brainsaw – Submitted by Zigathon
Artifact
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, Brainsaw deals 1 damage to him or her for each card in hand less than four.
If that player has no cards in hand, that player draws a card and Brainsaw deals 1 damage to him or her.
Rare

Elemental Signet – Submitted by mooseman
Artifact
T: Add 1 colorless mana to your mana pool.
1: Add 1 mana of any color lands you control do not produce to your mana pool.

Gleaming Cube – Submitted by TheUglyKnight
Artifact
X : Look at the top X cards of your library
XX: Look at the top X cards of your library rearrange them in any order
XXX: draw X cards

Switch Plate - Submitted by Mooseman
Equipment
0 equip
Switch equipped creature's power and toughness.

(GOLD) - 9

Fixed Swords to Plowshares – Submitted by Turgy22
BW
Instant
Remove target creature from the game. Gain life equal to its power.

Moments Rest – submitted by mooseman
1WU
Enchanment
After attackers are declared , attacking player removes one attacking creature from combat.

Ragnarok – Submitted by Ransac
3WRB
Sorcery
Destroy all lands in play.Target player loses life equal to the number of lands destroyed in this manner.

Sengir Spider - Submitted by Turgy22
2GB
Creature - Vampire Spider
Sengir Spider may block as though it had flying.
Whenever a creature dealt damage by Sengir Spider this turn is put into a graveyard, put a +1/+1 counter on Sengir Spider.
2/4

Sienna Behemoth - Submitted by Oversoul
URG
4/4

Switch ***** - Submitted by Mooseman
2UG
Enchantment
UU, T:put target creature on top of owners library, that player draws 2 cards.
1G, T: Search your library and graveyard for a basic land and put it into play, put target creature you control on top of owner’s library.

Switch Craft - Submitted by Mooseman
3UB
Instant
Switch target player’s graveyard and library. Each player then shuffles their library.

Switch Places - Submitted by Mooseman
2UW
Switch control of target attacking creature with control of one creature blocking target creature. Attacking creature becomes blocking creature and blocking creature becomes attacking creature. Return creatures switched by ~ to their owners hands at EOC.

Switchback - Submitted by Mooseman
2GU
Sorcery
Search your library for up to two creature cards and put them into play tapped, put 2 target creature cards you control on top of their owners library.

(LAND) - 4

~G/R/B CPA Triple Land~ - Submitted by Ransac
Land
~Double-Tapped/Land-Echo~: This land comes into play tapped and does not untap during your next untap phase.
T: Add G, R, or B to your mana pool

~W/U/R/B CPA Land~ - Submitted by mooseman
Land
~ comes into play tapped. When ~ comes into play, return a land card to your hand or sacrifice ~.
Land-Echo: During your next upkeep after this land comes under your control, return a land card to your hand or sacrifice it.

T: Add W and U, R, or B to your mana pool

Land Of Dreams - Submitted by Zigathon
Land
T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Land of Dreams does not untap during your next untap phase.
Uncommon

The Whispering Wood – Submitted by DarthFerret
Land

The Whispering Wood comes into play tapped.

E

evan d

obligitory large green creature-Elemental elf-bear
5gggg
8/10
search your library for 2 forests, and put them into play

L

Limited

(WHITE) - 5

Abandon The Search - Submitted by mooseman
2W
Enchantment

This card seems a bit narrow and I am not sure it should be a white card (it seems to fit a milling/remove theme that says Dimir to me).
New wording? "Whenever a card would put in opponents' graveyard from that players' library, you pay (2). If you do, remove that card from the game"

Bigger White Flying Bomb - Submitted by turgy22
2WW
Creature - Bird
Flying
Sacrifice ~: remove target attacking or blocking creature from the game.
2/3

Giant White Flying Bomb - Submitted by turgy22
5WW
Creature - Bird
Flying
Sacrifice ~: destroy all attacking or all blocking creatures.
4/5

Little White Flying Bomb - Submitted by turgy22
1W
Creature - Bird
Flying
Sacrifice ~ to deal 2 damage to target attacking or blocking creature.
1/1

I like this cycle, but I think they are just a bit too good at the moment. Each of them can just attack and kill its blocker, which (again) doesn't seem white. Perhaps would could change it from "attacking or blocking" to "blocked" creature? And do similar cycle in red with "blocking"?

White Prevention Landcasted Card - Submitted by Turgy22
1WW
Instant
Prevent the next 5 damage to target creature or player.
Plainscast 1

Like this card (the whole cycle actually). Just wording and specified reminder text:
"Prevent the next 5 damage that would be dealt to target creature or player this turn.
Plainscast 1 (You may remove a Plains card from your hand from the game rather than pay WPLC’s mana cost.)"