The "Let's Design a Set Together" Game

L

Limited

Ransac said:
Alternative Reality
1U
Gain control of target creature or artifact spell unless that spell's controller pays 2. If he/she does, counter that spell.
Broken! This should cost at least 2UU

I mean, a narrow counterspell for 1U is okay, but this is either a counterspell or a gain-control-permanently.. (stealing stuff permanently >> countering stuff)

Ransac said:
Volatile Mugroth
2R
Creature – Mugroth
Sacrifice: Destroy target land
Whenever a land goes to the graveyard from play, you may sacrifice Volatile Mugroth and search your library and hand for a Charging Mugroth card and put it into play
2/1
Why would you ever play the second ability? I mean, you have a Volatile Mugroth in play, and you get to sacrifice it to find another.. Is it meant to be a way to get them all in your graveyard?

Oh, and I think a 2/1 for three mana that says sacrifice: destroy target land is also too good. The ability should have an activation cost, like RR.

Ransac said:
Charging Mugroth
3RR
Creature - Mugroth
When Charging Mugroth comes into play, destroy target land
During your upkeep, if your opponent has 5 or more lands in his or her graveyard, you may sacrifice Charging Mugroth and search your library and hand for a Gigantical Mugroth and put it into play
4/3
4/3 for five mana with two great abilities? Should definitely be 4RR for a 3/2 or something.

Ransac said:
Gigantical Mugroth
5RR
Creature - Mugroth
Trample
Whenever Gigantical Mugroth deals damage to an opponent, destroy target land.
6/5
Once again, too good (in my opinion, obviously). Red doesn't get a 6/5 trampler for seven mana especially with such a nasty ability.
I'm thinking 4/3? or 5/4 without trample?

turgy22

Nothing Special
Limited said:
Yeah, well, we'll let the development team worry about balancing out the set. ;)

Looking back, so far we have zero white cards. Here's some suggestions:

Little White Flying Bomb
1W
Creature - Bird
Flying
Sacrifice ~ to deal 2 damage to target attacking or blocking creature.
1/1

Bigger White Flying Bomb
2WW
Creature - Bird
Flying
Sacrifice ~ to remove target attacking or blocking creature from the game.
2/3

Giant White Flying Bomb
5WW
Creature - Bird
Flying
Sacrifice ~ to destroy all attacking or all blocking creatures.
4/5

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I agree. The casting costs don't match with their abilities. SO, I will take the advice and increase casting costs.

Why would you wait for the second ability of the Volatile Mugroth. You don't HAVE to, but if you do, the same thing happens when you just sacrifice it. The Charging Mugroth will destroy a land just like the Volatile one will when you sacrifice for it's 1st ability. BUT, you'll still have a decent creature.

AND, I like the word Gigantical. Call me immature. :D

Volatile Mugroth
2RR
Creature – Mugroth
Whenever a land goes to the graveyard from play, you may sacrifice Volatile Mugroth and search your library and hand for a Charging Mugroth card and put it into play
2/1

Charging Mugroth
4RR
Creature - Mugroth
When Charging Mugroth comes into play, destroy target land
During your upkeep, if your opponent has 5 or more lands in his or her graveyard, you may sacrifice Charging Mugroth and search your library and hand for a Gigantical Mugroth and put it into play
4/3

Gigantical Mugroth
6RR
Creature - Mugroth
Trample
Whenever Gigantical Mugroth deals damage to an opponent, destroy target land.
6/5

Ransac, cpa trash man

L

Limited

Ransac said:
Why would you wait for the second ability of the Volatile Mugroth. You don't HAVE to, but if you do, the same thing happens when you just sacrifice it. The Charging Mugroth will destroy a land just like the Volatile one will when you sacrifice for it's 1st ability. BUT, you'll still have a decent creature.

Volatile Mugroth
2RR
Creature – Mugroth
2/1
Ah, I thought it searched for another copy of itself. In that case: it's too good. Right now, its a Goblin Gardener with a twist and the ability to search for a bigger creature and put it into play.

I think the 'putting it into play' should become 'hand' and destroy target land could probably be 'target opponent sacrifices a land' so you can't colorscrew someone too easily.. still think this cycle is pushing landdestruction way too much.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Limited said:
I think the 'putting it into play' should become 'hand' and destroy target land could probably be 'target opponent sacrifices a land' so you can't colorscrew someone too easily.. still think this cycle is pushing land destruction way too much.
The purpose for these cycles of creatures is to eventually get a powerful monster out no matter where it is (the black cycle will be able to search the graveyard, as well). As for the land destruction, these 3 are the only LD spell we have right now.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Limited said:
Alternative Reality
1U
Gain control of target creature or artifact spell unless that spell's controller pays 2. If he/she does, counter that spell.

Broken! This should cost at least 2UU

I mean, a narrow counterspell for 1U is okay, but this is either a counterspell or a gain-control-permanently.. (stealing stuff permanently >> countering stuff)
Why are blue haters so vocal......... hehe

I see your point, but 2UU is a bit much for a simple counter, the steal is situational.

Alternative Reality
1U
Gain control of target creature or artifact spell unless that spell's controller pays 2. If he/she does, counter that spell. Target creature or artifact spell gains, "When ~ comes into play put 1 land you control and your hand on top of your libray in any order."

Ransac, do your template/wording thing please.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Eh.... I think that is too confusing. I do believe that 1U is too inexpensive, but 2UU is too expensive for a spell that can be determined by the opponent ("unless they pay 2"). SO, let's compromise.

I suggest either a 1UU or UUU casting cost.

Ransac, cpa trash man

L

Limited

For three mana, it should only target creature spells

So...
Another Alternative Reality 1UU
Instant
Counter target creature spell. If a spell is countered this way put that card into play under your control instead of into its owner’s graveyard unless any player pays (2).

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Limited said:
Way too wordy.. there is no way to template this nicely, IMHO
Too wordy? Like to many words? It jhas less than some cards already in print.

I like this and await Ransac's editing magical touch.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I don't think I need my "magical touch", as I think Limited's most recent suggest works great. Doesn't need "another" in the title I think.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Alright, somehow I missed the "Another" post......
That is much better wording and the cost is good.

I was trying to add the "put things on top of library" theme.

L

Limited

I don't think a "put things on top of library theme" would be much fun; those cards tend to stall games and a whole set based around them wouldn't be very interesting...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Well, if no one is going to post another card, I will.

It's kinda like a mini-Sengir, although you don't need to kill the creature to gain the advantage. I balanced this bonus by making it weaker than Sengir. Additonally, I made the ability fit the name "Blood Drainer", with the vampire getting Stronger and it's victim getting weaker with every "feeding".

Blood Drainer
3BB
Creature - Vampire
Flying
Whenever a creature is dealt combat damage by Blood Drainer, put a -1/-1 counter on that creature and a +1/+1 counter on Blood Drainer.
3/3

Ransac, cpa trash man

L

Limited

More cycles

Revered Djinn 4U
Creature - Djinn
Flying
Whenever a creature blocks ~, it loses flying permanently
3/5

T

TheUglyKnight

Unrhystic Lightning
R- Instant
Change the target of target activated ability, unless it's controller pays 2 if he does deal 4 damage to target creature or player.

I'm trying to make these into "mage's feints" where a mage uses the energy the opponent put into stopping the original spell as fuel for a second effect.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
How about the idea of a switch for a group of cards, some creatures may be good here...... hmmmmmmmm

Switch
X1U
Instant
Target player draws X cards, then puts X cards on top of their library in random order.

Switchback
2GU
Sorcery
Search your library for up to two creature cards and put them into play tapped, put 2 target creature cards you control on top of their owners library.

Switch Craft
3UB
Instant
Switch target player’s graveyard and library. Each player then shuffles their library.

Switch *****
2UG
Enchantment
UU, T:put target creature on top of owners library, that player draws 2 cards.

1G, T: Search your library and graveyard for a basic land and put it into play, put target creature you control on top of owner’s library.

Switchblade
R
Instant
Target creature’s toughness becomes halved for half (rounded up), or Target creature’s power becomes halved for half (rounded down).
Entwine 2

Switch Plate
Equipment
0 equip
Creature Switch Plate is attached to has it’s power and toughness switched.

Switch Places
2UW
Switch control of target attacking creature with control of one creature blocking target creature. Attacking creature becomes blocking creature and blocking creature becomes attacking creature. Return creatures switched by ~ to their owners hands at EOC.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Mooseman said:
Switch *****
2UG
Enchantment
UU, T:put target permenent on top of owners library, that player draws 2 cards.

1G, T: Search your library and graveyard for a basic land and put it into play, put target creature you control on top of owner’s library.
Holy crap, man. This is broke as hell. I don't care how many cards your opponent draws. Being able to bounce ANYTHING (lands in particular) over and over spells game over.

Mooseman said:
Switchblade
R
Instant
Target creature’s defense becomes halved (rounded up), or Target creature’s power becomes halved (rounded down).
Entwine 2
Corrected wording (halved for half).

Ransac, cpa trash man

L

Limited

I like the Switch stuf.. the Swithcback seems easy enough to break :)

(*dude! You corrected wording but you didn't change 'defense' into 'toughness'?*)