The "Let's Design a Set Together" Game

L

Limited

Guildmana? I hadn't thought of that..

I'm not sure about it. We should have some kind of vote on what abilities and features of previous (I mean real) sets were want to use..

Switch Off II - Submitted by Mooseman
X2 W/G
Sorcery
Remove X counters from each permanent.

Switch Off I - Submitted by Mooseman
X1 W/G
instant
Remove X counters from target permanent.

I like the cards now, but I don't have a clear picture of abusabilty yet...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Limited said:
(GREEN) -

Constant Gardner – Submitted by Limited
1GG
1/1
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay (1). If you do, return a basic landcard from your graveyard to your hand.

Also needs another name (but we'll get to that later).
I think its a bit lame now, only 'mildly' combo-enabling. As I said before, I don't want to turn this into something that enables stuff like Solitary Confinement. Perhaps:
"At the beginning of your upkeep, you may return a basic landcard from your graveyard to your hand unless any opponent pays 1 life"

Thoughts?
Get a land every turn in your upkeep for 1....... how broken is that in a drege deck or a threshold deck?
How about
pay 1 to get a land from your graveyard, unless any opponent pays 2.

Limited said:
"I don't like the word 'Unrhystic'
Me either

L

Limited

The Constant Gardner provides a lot of cardadvantage, but it is just a 1/1. Maybe if it costs 3GG?

I just had an idea for a new ability..

It's kinda like Fading, only you don't sacrifice the permanent but you have to give it to an opponent.
Perfidy X (~ comes into play with X perfidy counters. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove one of these counters. When you remove the last one, target opponent gains control of ~)

In serious need of rewording and renaming.. but is it fun?

Oh and the following needs to be in the set, because I need it :)

Shield opponent 1W
Instant
Target opponent can't be the target of spells or abilities until end of turn

Couldn't come up with a name for it yet, so help me out here!

I did remember the word Altruism so I thought of the following card
Ardent Altruist 1WW
Creature - Soldier Cleric?
Whenever a creature an opponent controls would be dealt damage, prevent one of that damage.
5/6

Or, even crazier

Inspiring Altruist 1WW
Creature - Soldier Cleric?
All creatures you control has "Whenever a creature an opponent controls would be dealt damage, prevent one of that damage".
6/7

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Limited said:
(GOLD) - 9

Fixed Swords to Plowshares – Submitted by Turgy22
BW
Instant
Remove target creature from the game. Gain life equal to its power.

Making it multicolored does makes it less suitable for several decks, but I think its still too good. I think its better than Mortify, and that is already in a lot of tourney decks (destroying Enchantments is good, but Remove instead of Destroy is big difference)
Maybe upping the cost to 2BW and/or removing Fixed Swords to Plowshares from the game too. (stops recursion, if you put the RFG ~ first then it would stop scepter at BW cost )
Limited said:
Moments Rest – submitted by mooseman
1WU
Enchanment
After attackers are declared, attacking player removes one attacking creature from combat.

Cute. I like it. Just another wording suggestion:
"Whenever a player attacks with one or more creatures, that player removes one attacking creature from combat."
I templated this from another card that waits for attackers to be delcared, it should be fine as is.
Limited said:
Ragnarok – Submitted by Ransac
3WRB
Sorcery
Destroy all lands in play.Target player loses life equal to the number of lands destroyed in this manner.

I still think the second part is way to broken. In multiplayer, this translates to
"Destroy all lands in play. Kill the only player which has a chance against your creature horde". Something symmetrical (like a built-in Acidic Soilp/url]) would still be broken, but has a small chance of backfiring.
"Destroy all lands. Each player loses a life for each land put into that player's graveyard in this way."

The name rocks though. Perhaps the set should have a Viking theme (after Pirates, Samurai and Ninja's, its the next logical step)

Maybe, "target player lose life equal to the highest number of lands that are put in to any one graveyard" or the correct template of this idea.

Viking theme sounds cool, but no Odin or Thor names, be a little more creative. Search Norse mythology for little known names.

Limited said:
I believe the search explicitly includes shuffle.
Limited said:
Switch Craft - Submitted by Mooseman
3UB
Instant
Switch target player’s graveyard and library. Each player then shuffles their library.

And why does each player shuffle their library?
Casual random shuffling........ why not?

Switchback - Submitted by Mooseman
3GU
Sorcery
Search your library for a creature card and put them into play tapped, put 2 target creatures you control on top of their owners library.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Regarding this cycle:

Bigger White Flying Bomb - Submitted by turgy22
2WW
Creature - Bird
Flying
Sacrifice ~: remove target attacking or blocking creature from the game.
2/3

Giant White Flying Bomb - Submitted by turgy22
5WW
Creature - Bird
Flying
Sacrifice ~: destroy all attacking or all blocking creatures.
4/5

Little White Flying Bomb - Submitted by turgy22
1W
Creature - Bird
Flying
Sacrifice ~ to deal 2 damage to target attacking or blocking creature.
1/1

Limited said:
I like this cycle, but I think they are just a bit too good at the moment. Each of them can just attack and kill its blocker, which (again) doesn't seem white. Perhaps would could change it from "attacking or blocking" to "blocked" creature? And do similar cycle in red with "blocking"?
Mooseman said:
You could change it to "attacking" or "blocked by", but since the creature has to be sacrificed, they are not "too" good. Maybe WR instead of just white.
Limited said:
Perhaps not 'too' good, but very powerful. But I agree they feel more RW to me at the moment; we could make them RW or split up the abilities and also make a red cycle..

The attacking or blocking mechanic is prominent in white alone. Off the top of my head, Soldier Replica and Catapult Master can smack around any creature in combat. However, I agree that the cycle may be a bit overpowered. I like the idea of either splitting them up moreso than adding red, seeing as I originally submitted the cycle due to a lack of white cards. Here's some ideas for the red cycle:

Bigger Red Hasty Bomb - Submitted by turgy22
2RR
Creature - Centaur
Haste
Sacrifice ~ to remove target blocking creature from the game.
2/3

Giant Red Hasty Bomb - Submitted by turgy22
5RR
Creature - Giant
Haste
Sacrifice ~ to destroy all blocking creatures.
4/5

Little Red Hasty Bomb - Submitted by turgy22
1R
Creature - Goblin
Haste
Sacrifice ~ to deal 2 damage to target blocking creature.
1/1

And, of course, we'd change the white ones to only affect attacking creatures.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Limited said:
(ARTIFACT) – 4

Brainsaw – Submitted by Zigathon
3 (Rare)
Artifact
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, Brainsaw deals 1 damage to him or her for each card in hand less than four.
If that player has no cards in hand, that player draws a card and Brainsaw deals 1 damage to him or her.
The two abilities compete against each other when a player has no cards in hand. Do they take 3 or 1 damage?

"At the begining of each opponents upkeep, ~ deals 1 damage to that player. If you have no cards in hand, draw a card and ~ deals 1 damage you."

sorta different, but......

Limited said:
Gleaming Cube – Submitted by TheUglyKnight
Artifact
X : Look at the top X cards of your library
XX: Look at the top X cards of your library rearrange them in any order
XXX: draw X cards

Seems too much like a combo-enabler: the first two abilities let you find the combo pieces for infinite mana, the last lets you use that mana to find your kill condition.
This is too good, needs reworked.

FIXED?
Switch Plate - Submitted by Mooseman
Artifact - Equipment
Equip 1
Switch equipped creature's power and toughness.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
turgy22 said:
Regarding this cycle:

Bigger White Flying Bomb - Submitted by turgy22
2WW
Creature - Bird
Flying
Sacrifice ~: remove target attacking or blocking creature from the game.
2/3

Giant White Flying Bomb - Submitted by turgy22
5WW
Creature - Bird
Flying
Sacrifice ~: destroy all attacking or all blocking creatures.
4/5

Little White Flying Bomb - Submitted by turgy22
1W
Creature - Bird
Flying
Sacrifice ~ to deal 2 damage to target attacking or blocking creature.
1/1

Bigger Red Hasty Bomb - Submitted by turgy22
2RR
Creature - Centaur
Haste
Sacrifice ~ to remove target blocking creature from the game.
2/3

Giant Red Hasty Bomb - Submitted by turgy22
5RR
Creature - Giant
Haste
Sacrifice ~ to destroy all blocking creatures.
4/5

Little Red Hasty Bomb - Submitted by turgy22
1R
Creature - Goblin
Haste
Sacrifice ~ to deal 2 damage to target blocking creature.
1/1

And, of course, we'd change the white ones to only affect attacking creatures.
I think these are fine.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Mooseman said:
The two abilities compete against each other when a player has no cards in hand. Do they take 3 or 1 damage?
I'm not completely sure, but I think they take 5. 4 from the first ability (card in hand less than 4) and then another 1 from the second. I'm not sure if that was the intent, but that's how I interpretted it.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
turgy22 said:
I'm not completely sure, but I think they take 5. 4 from the first ability (card in hand less than 4) and then another 1 from the second. I'm not sure if that was the intent, but that's how I interpretted it.
Oh, yeah right, 4 and/or 1 damage ......

turgy22

Nothing Special
I'm going to try rounding out my cycle of landcast creatures. I fear the green one may be way too powerful considering green's ability to recover from mana problems. Perhaps we'll need to take away the trample.

White Landcast Creature 2WW
Creature – Soldier
Spirit Link
Plainscast 2
2/4

Green Landcast Creature 2GG
Creature – Elephant
Trample
Forestcast 2
3/3

Red Landcast Creature 2RR
Creature – Barbarian
Haste
Mountaincast 2
2/2

Blue Landcast Creature 2UU
Creature - Drake
Flying
Islandcast 2
2/3

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
turgy22 said:
White Landcast Creature 2WW
Creature – Soldier
Spirit Link
Plainscast 2
2/4
Spirit Link? What?

How about a 1/5 defender? With Flying? That you gain life for every damage dealt to it? With a circle of protection activated ability?

Alright, I know I've gone too far, I'll walk the plank..... :eek:

The others are fine, trample is nice, but at least it's not a 4/4.... :D

turgy22

Nothing Special
Ransac said:
Can someone compile a list of the mechanics that we've come up with?
As far as new abilities that appear on multiple cards:

Landcast: You may remove land cards in your hand from the game instead of paying the card's casting cost.

Capricious: When the card comes into play, put cards on top of your library.

Bleeding: Whenever a creature is dealt combat damage by ~, the creature gets X -1/-1 counters and ~ gets X +1/+1 counters.

Stirge: Whenever ~ deals combat damage to something, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes an aura with some ability.

Switch: Two things get switched. Too many examples to be specific.

Opponent's Choice (as on "unrhystic" spells): The spell has one effect unless the opponent pays some mana for a second, lesser effect.

Land Echo: I'm not quite sure.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Landcast: You may remove land cards in your hand from the game instead of paying the card's casting cost.

Capricious: When the card comes into play, put cards on top of your library.
More of a theme and an extra cost

Bleeding: Whenever a creature is dealt combat damage by ~, the creature gets X -1/-1 counters and ~ gets X +1/+1 counters.

Stirge: Whenever ~ deals combat damage to something, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes an aura with some ability.

this is more like the licid ability

Switch: Two things get switched. Too many examples to be specific.

Not really a mechanic as much as a theme

Opponent's Choice (as on "unrhystic" spells): The spell has one effect unless the opponent pays some mana for a second, lesser effect.

Land Echo: Return a land to your hand, then do it again during your next upkeep. Same as Echo, but with land bouncing.

Double Tap permanent comes into play tapped and doesn't untap during next untap step.

I'd say only some of these are true mechanics.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Mooseman said:
I'd say only some of these are true mechanics.
Mark Rosewater said:
Why don’t I start by explaining what exactly a mechanic is. A mechanic is a card ability that can be used on multiple cards. That’s it. It’s that simple. Wait a minute, many of you are asking, don’t mechanics have to have names? That is a common misconception about mechanics. Some mechanics are given a name, what we in R&D call a “keyword.” Keyworded mechanics include most of the major mechanics of past blocks (flashback, threshold, kicker, cycling, echo, buyback, phasing, etc.).
Many players think the word “mechanic” refers only to keyworded mechanics. For instance, when Mercadian Masques first came out, I was often asked why there were no new mechanics in the set. I was very confused. Mercadian Masques had rebels, spellshapers, and brought back cards with alternate casting costs. But because none of the mechanics were keyworded, many players didn’t count them as mechanics. That is simply a mistake. A rose by any other name – or simply no name – still smells as sweet. (How many of you expected a Shakespearean reference in an article on Magic mechanics?)
I was being pretty loose with my definition of mechanic, but I think everything I mentioned can be considered a mechanic, except maybe the Switch thing. Then again, I wasn't quite sure why Ransac wanted a list of mechanics, so I tried to include as much as possible.

E

evan d

Grabaland – Submitted by TheUglyKnight
GG
Sorcery
Search your library for a basic land and put it into play tapped, if its a forest you may untap it.

Just wording:
"Search your library for a basic land and put it into play tapped. If its a forest you may untap it. Shuffle your library."

just like:

Nature’s Lore
Cost: 1g
Card Type: Sorcery
Rules Text (Oracle): Search your library for a Forest card and put that card into play. Then shuffle your library.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
No one has been posting on this recently, but I don't want our hard work to be for naught.

I will be done will school in 9 days. After that, I shall resume my efforts towards this set.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I have also been busy, but I will try to create a comprehensive list, including proposed changes. Maybe, by Friday?

L

Limited

I'm kinda swamped right now as well.. but I'm still thinking stuff up

The problem is we need to make some 'global' descisions about the set.. perhaps a rough story arc or some theme to define it..

I suggested to single out one color (like black in Torment) but instead of mixing it with all the other (like the Possesed Cycle) which promotes multicolor decks with a black base, I'd like to seperate one color from the others.
Thoughts?