The "Let's Design a Set Together" Game

Discussion in 'Home Made Cards' started by turgy22, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Limited Yes, but we won't care

Guildmana? I hadn't thought of that..

I'm not sure about it. We should have some kind of vote on what abilities and features of previous (I mean real) sets were want to use..

Switch Off II - Submitted by Mooseman
    X2 W/G
    Sorcery
    Remove X counters from each permanent.

Switch Off I - Submitted by Mooseman
    X1 W/G
    instant
    Remove X counters from target permanent.

I like the cards now, but I don't have a clear picture of abusabilty yet...
  2. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

Get a land every turn in your upkeep for 1....... how broken is that in a drege deck or a threshold deck?
    How about
    pay 1 to get a land from your graveyard, unless any opponent pays 2.

Me either
  3. Limited Yes, but we won't care

The Constant Gardner provides a lot of cardadvantage, but it is just a 1/1. Maybe if it costs 3GG?

I just had an idea for a new ability..

It's kinda like Fading, only you don't sacrifice the permanent but you have to give it to an opponent.
    Perfidy X (~ comes into play with X perfidy counters. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove one of these counters. When you remove the last one, target opponent gains control of ~)

In serious need of rewording and renaming.. but is it fun?

Oh and the following needs to be in the set, because I need it :)

Shield opponent 1W
    Instant
    Target opponent can't be the target of spells or abilities until end of turn

Couldn't come up with a name for it yet, so help me out here!

I did remember the word Altruism so I thought of the following card
    Ardent Altruist 1WW
    Creature - Soldier Cleric?
    Whenever a creature an opponent controls would be dealt damage, prevent one of that damage.
    5/6

Or, even crazier

Inspiring Altruist 1WW
    Creature - Soldier Cleric?
    All creatures you control has "Whenever a creature an opponent controls would be dealt damage, prevent one of that damage".
    6/7
  4. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

Maybe upping the cost to 2BW and/or removing Fixed Swords to Plowshares from the game too. (stops recursion, if you put the RFG ~ first then it would stop scepter at BW cost )
    I templated this from another card that waits for attackers to be delcared, it should be fine as is.

Maybe, "target player lose life equal to the highest number of lands that are put in to any one graveyard" or the correct template of this idea.

Viking theme sounds cool, but no Odin or Thor names, be a little more creative. Search Norse mythology for little known names.

I believe the search explicitly includes shuffle.
    Casual random shuffling........ why not?

Switchback - Submitted by Mooseman
    3GU
    Sorcery
    Search your library for a creature card and put them into play tapped, put 2 target creatures you control on top of their owners library.
  5. turgy22 Nothing Special

Regarding this cycle:

Bigger White Flying Bomb - Submitted by turgy22
    2WW
    Creature - Bird
    Flying
    Sacrifice ~: remove target attacking or blocking creature from the game.
    2/3

Giant White Flying Bomb - Submitted by turgy22
    5WW
    Creature - Bird
    Flying
    Sacrifice ~: destroy all attacking or all blocking creatures.
    4/5

Little White Flying Bomb - Submitted by turgy22
    1W
    Creature - Bird
    Flying
    Sacrifice ~ to deal 2 damage to target attacking or blocking creature.
    1/1

The attacking or blocking mechanic is prominent in white alone. Off the top of my head, Soldier Replica and Catapult Master can smack around any creature in combat. However, I agree that the cycle may be a bit overpowered. I like the idea of either splitting them up moreso than adding red, seeing as I originally submitted the cycle due to a lack of white cards. Here's some ideas for the red cycle:

Bigger Red Hasty Bomb - Submitted by turgy22
    2RR
    Creature - Centaur
    Haste
    Sacrifice ~ to remove target blocking creature from the game.
    2/3

Giant Red Hasty Bomb - Submitted by turgy22
    5RR
    Creature - Giant
    Haste
    Sacrifice ~ to destroy all blocking creatures.
    4/5

Little Red Hasty Bomb - Submitted by turgy22
    1R
    Creature - Goblin
    Haste
    Sacrifice ~ to deal 2 damage to target blocking creature.
    1/1

And, of course, we'd change the white ones to only affect attacking creatures.
  6. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

The two abilities compete against each other when a player has no cards in hand. Do they take 3 or 1 damage?

"At the begining of each opponents upkeep, ~ deals 1 damage to that player. If you have no cards in hand, draw a card and ~ deals 1 damage you."

sorta different, but......

This is too good, needs reworked.

FIXED?
    Switch Plate - Submitted by Mooseman
    Artifact - Equipment
    Equip 1
    Switch equipped creature's power and toughness.
  7. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

I think these are fine.
  8. turgy22 Nothing Special

I'm not completely sure, but I think they take 5. 4 from the first ability (card in hand less than 4) and then another 1 from the second. I'm not sure if that was the intent, but that's how I interpretted it.
  9. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

Oh, yeah right, 4 and/or 1 damage ......
  10. turgy22 Nothing Special

I'm going to try rounding out my cycle of landcast creatures. I fear the green one may be way too powerful considering green's ability to recover from mana problems. Perhaps we'll need to take away the trample.

White Landcast Creature 2WW
    Creature – Soldier
    Spirit Link
    Plainscast 2
    2/4

Green Landcast Creature 2GG
    Creature – Elephant
    Trample
    Forestcast 2
    3/3

Red Landcast Creature 2RR
    Creature – Barbarian
    Haste
    Mountaincast 2
    2/2

Blue Landcast Creature 2UU
    Creature - Drake
    Flying
    Islandcast 2
    2/3
  11. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

Spirit Link? What?

How about a 1/5 defender? With Flying? That you gain life for every damage dealt to it? With a circle of protection activated ability?

Alright, I know I've gone too far, I'll walk the plank..... :eek:

The others are fine, trample is nice, but at least it's not a 4/4.... :D
  12. Ransac CPA Trash Man

Can someone compile a list of the mechanics that we've come up with?

Ransac, cpa trash man
  13. turgy22 Nothing Special

As far as new abilities that appear on multiple cards:

Landcast: You may remove land cards in your hand from the game instead of paying the card's casting cost.

Capricious: When the card comes into play, put cards on top of your library.

Bleeding: Whenever a creature is dealt combat damage by ~, the creature gets X -1/-1 counters and ~ gets X +1/+1 counters.

Stirge: Whenever ~ deals combat damage to something, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes an aura with some ability.

Switch: Two things get switched. Too many examples to be specific.

Opponent's Choice (as on "unrhystic" spells): The spell has one effect unless the opponent pays some mana for a second, lesser effect.

Land Echo: I'm not quite sure.
  14. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

Landcast: You may remove land cards in your hand from the game instead of paying the card's casting cost.

Capricious: When the card comes into play, put cards on top of your library.
    More of a theme and an extra cost

Bleeding: Whenever a creature is dealt combat damage by ~, the creature gets X -1/-1 counters and ~ gets X +1/+1 counters.

Stirge: Whenever ~ deals combat damage to something, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes an aura with some ability.

this is more like the licid ability

Switch: Two things get switched. Too many examples to be specific.

Not really a mechanic as much as a theme

Opponent's Choice (as on "unrhystic" spells): The spell has one effect unless the opponent pays some mana for a second, lesser effect.

Land Echo: Return a land to your hand, then do it again during your next upkeep. Same as Echo, but with land bouncing.

Double Tap permanent comes into play tapped and doesn't untap during next untap step.

I'd say only some of these are true mechanics.
  15. turgy22 Nothing Special

I was being pretty loose with my definition of mechanic, but I think everything I mentioned can be considered a mechanic, except maybe the Switch thing. Then again, I wasn't quite sure why Ransac wanted a list of mechanics, so I tried to include as much as possible.
  16. Ransac CPA Trash Man

Well, put.

Ransac, cpa trash man
  17. evan d New Member

Grabaland – Submitted by TheUglyKnight
    GG
    Sorcery
    Search your library for a basic land and put it into play tapped, if its a forest you may untap it.

Just wording:
    "Search your library for a basic land and put it into play tapped. If its a forest you may untap it. Shuffle your library."

just like:

Nature’s Lore
    Cost: 1g
    Card Type: Sorcery
    Rules Text (Oracle): Search your library for a Forest card and put that card into play. Then shuffle your library.
  18. Ransac CPA Trash Man

No one has been posting on this recently, but I don't want our hard work to be for naught.

I will be done will school in 9 days. After that, I shall resume my efforts towards this set.

Ransac, cpa trash man
  19. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

I have also been busy, but I will try to create a comprehensive list, including proposed changes. Maybe, by Friday?
  20. Limited Yes, but we won't care

I'm kinda swamped right now as well.. but I'm still thinking stuff up

The problem is we need to make some 'global' descisions about the set.. perhaps a rough story arc or some theme to define it..

I suggested to single out one color (like black in Torment) but instead of mixing it with all the other (like the Possesed Cycle) which promotes multicolor decks with a black base, I'd like to seperate one color from the others.
    Thoughts?