The CPA Magic Sports League

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DarthFerret

Well, I am assuming that Rakarth went on an extended leave, and I also assume all the other games in this "week" were finished.....should we move along?

turgy22

Nothing Special
If you aren't playing Rakarth, feel free to start your game. I'm trying to convince Ransac to come back, so that we'll still have 8 active participants. If he decides to stay retired, I think I'll pick up Rakarth's deck myself.

D

DarthFerret

Well, for week 12, I started a thread, bumped it a couple of times, and never got the response. I will look for who I am supposed to play in week 13 and go ahead and start that one up then...

turgy22

Nothing Special
Alright. It seems like it will be a little more complicated than I thought to pull Ransac back in and ensure that all the records remain fair. So if Ransac wants to come back, he'll just play in place of Rakarth, since their records were almost identical, anyway. In the meantime, I'm going to try and cobble together a deck out of Rakarth's cards and play in his place. If either Ransac or BPC decide to come back, I'll gladly step aside.

So here are the matchups for Week 13:
Modus Pwnens vs. Melkor
BigBlue vs. Spiderman
Rokapoke vs. DarthFerret
Mooseman vs. Turgy22

D

DarthFerret

DarthFerret wins over Rokapoke in a very close match for week 13.

turgy22

Nothing Special
I had everyone pick new boosters for the next draft when this season started. Here's the rundown of who picked what:

Rokapoke - Planar Chaos
DarthFerret - Unlimited
BigBlue - Shadowmoor
Spiderman - Odyssey
Modus Pwnens - Urza's Saga
Ransac - Planar Chaos
BPC - Arabian Nights
Mooseman - Shadowmoor
Rakarth - Time Spiral
Melkor - Alliances

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Right... I'm sorry to be asking questions that were probably answered, it's just that I lose track or forget when it goes on this long :) So when do we draft next? I'm asking because I already played rokapoke and now am playing him again, so I guess how many rounds are in a "season"?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
19 weeks in the first season and we are on week 14......
I feel like the Pittsburgh Pirates in this league.......

Melkor

It's a pretty big advantage during the off season to finish last, you're picking first from all the booster packs. Although I'm wondering if it is possible that the next regular season be a little shorter.

turgy22

Nothing Special
I don't think there's a HUGE advantage to picking first overall. Sure, you get the best card out of the eight to ten boosters (depends how many people stick around for next season), but it's still only one card. And if the best card doesn't fit your colors, you're either screwed or you have to put your mana base at risk with the pick.

As far as a shorter season, I definitely think my initial plan of 23 weeks was too long. I think 17 is ideal. It makes scheduling really easy for 8 players, plus I'd like one full season to last about one real calender year. 17 games at 2 weeks each = 34 weeks, which leaves 18 weeks for the playoff, draft, trades, and other offseason activities. I could shorten things up even more (maybe get a season down to half a year) by getting rid of the week-to-week format. Just have everyone play everyone else: 3 games for division opponents, 2 games for out-of-division opponents. It would certainly cut down on the "waiting around" time between rounds, but would also lose a lot of the sports league flavor. Or I could go one step further, get rid of the divisions and playoffs and just have everyone play everyone else, with the best record winning for the season.

Either way, I'm open to suggestions. I thought this would be a fun idea and it's obviously still evolving, so I'll do whatever it takes to keep people interested and having fun.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, I'm having fun. Just want some new cards to invigorate my deck :) I'll go with whatever you decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.