The CPA Magic Sports League

Status
Not open for further replies.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Week 15 will officially begin on Monday. Feel free to begin your games now...

Modus Pwnens vs. DarthFerret
BigBlue vs. Turgy22
Rokapoke vs. Melkor
Mooseman vs. Spiderman

turgy22

Nothing Special
Well, the first regular season of this is almost wrapped and I had some ideas on some changes to make before kicking off the new season. I wanted to run them by everyone else first and get some feedback before finalizing anything, though.

1) Set a clearly-defined schedule. I was reluctant to do this to start out, but I think it will really help things keep moving along and even provide more flexibility if anyone gets behind and needs to make up a game. Two weeks seems like a good number for each game. I'll also set in advance time for the draft, playoffs, and offseason trading time / deck modification. Each season will last exactly one calendar year and things can be tweaked a bit, as needed, to accommodate everyone's schedules as best as possible.

2) Limit the total number of players to either 8 or 12. This makes things much easier to schedule and will maintain a regular season length of 17 rounds, which I think works best. If we have 8 active players and someone else wants to join, they'll just have to wait until either someone else wants to drop or three other people also want to join to make 12. Ideally, they'd be willing to fill in for other people who are expecting to miss time for their games.

3) No more expansion draft. In retrospect, I don't think this is a good idea. I thought it might be necessary to help new players get up to speed quickly, but after further consideration, it's unbalanced and will hurt those who play the same colors as the new players. Plus, it can hurt the continuity of an existing deck. Instead, new players will simply receive a certain number of booster packs and will need to streamline their decks through trades, a draft and free agency.

4) Expand the roster limits yearly. In my initial plan, I was going to cap the rosters at 60 cards to prevent anyone from hording certain cards. The downside of this is that no one needs to make any cuts in the first two seasons and then everyone needs to cut 15 cards each season after that. Also, while 60 cards provide enough versatility in deck construction, it will really limit the decks after a few years. By raising the cap by five cards every year, it will instantly create a free agent environment, keep it fairly steady over time and eventually provide a lot of room for people to generate 2 or 3 distinct deck ideas to play with over time. This also opens up draft possibilities, as you can pick the best cards with an eye on the future instead of having such tight restrictions due to mana requirements.

5) Don’t retire any cards. To keep things clean, I was going to retire any cards that are cut and sitting around for a full season. So basically, every year, there would be a free agent pool of about 80 cards sitting around and if they weren't claimed, they'd disappear forever. Instead, I'm thinking of keeping every card around that ever enters the league available for free agent pickup. This will help enable obscure combos and more creativity as the card pool expands. To keep things manageable, I'm going to keep a running list of all free agent cards in a public spreadsheet, so anyone can access them at any time without being too overwhelmed by a long list, all in one post.

6) Don’t retire any decks. If anyone dropped out, I was going to have their cards retired, never to be used again. My thinking on this was that I didn't want to add them to a draft or free agent pool, which might really skew things toward decks of similar colors. What I didn't consider was leaving retired decks around for other players to pick up instead of their own. Now, if a new player wants to join, but doesn't want to risk getting bad cards by opening brand new booster packs, they can claim an unused deck and start piloting it from where the previous owner left off. Alternatively, if someone doesn't like their deck, they can drop it and pick up an unused one. If more than one player wants to switch to the same deck, I'll either go by previous records or possibly allow players to bid for the deck by forgoing future draft picks.

7) Allow a "Full-Deck Mulligan." On the opposite end of the spectrum, if anyone is really dissatisfied with their deck, they can drop it and start over from scratch, like a new player coming in. The dropped deck would then be available for others, while the player who dropped it would get boosters instead of their deck. This way, no one's stuck if they just can't get their decks rolling, but it comes with the risk of the boosters not providing anything better.

8) Change the playoff requirements. My initial post stated that with two divisions, the top two players in each division would earn playoff spots. I'm thinking of changing this to a "wildcard" system where only the top record from each division earns a spot and the next two best records (regardless of division) earn wildcard spots. This will reduce the chances of a player with a losing record making the playoffs over someone with a better record.

9) Reseed the divisions every year. I started out seeding the divisions randomly. When Ransac and BPC left, I reseeded them based on record. I'm thinking of doing this every season, to keep things as even as possible (as in making sure that the best players don't remain in the same division forever). It will also add a little variety, so you won't have to play more games against the same players every year.

10) Draft boosters will be chosen differently. I had everyone pick a booster for the next season ahead of time because I didn't want anyone picking bad boosters if they were going to be picking late or good boosters if they were going to be picking early. On second thought, I don't think that's necessary. Everyone playing is going to pick boosters based on sets they like and/or want to play with. By asking for them so early, it limits usage of the new sets, which sucks for people that want to try them out here. From now on, once the regular season concludes, I'm going to ask everyone to request a booster for the upcoming draft. The only restriction I'm going to place is to not have any repeats of booster packs, to add a little variety and prevent things from getting too block-dominant. If two people request the same booster, the player with the worse record will get to choose a new one.

Okay, so I think that's all the ideas I had that I wanted to address. I'd like to hear some feedback if anyone has any objections to these changes. I want to finalize the rules before the start of the second season, so I can jump in myself if a spot opens up.

Melkor

I'm tentatively in favor of these proposals except that I still think that there should be a system to retire cards and decks.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds good to me.

Unfortunately, I don't see any new-new people joining anytime soon :( but I hope someone will from those who are still active but not playing.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Melkor;283236 said:
I'm tentatively in favor of these proposals except that I still think that there should be a system to retire cards and decks.
Any thoughts as to why we need a retirement system and how it should be implemented?

B

BigBlue

I beat Rokapoke in our Week 17 bout.

As far as the changes/simulation part go...

I'm all for trying to make this simulate an actual sports league where the cards are players... I don't know if it is taking it too far, but perhaps we should have "injuries". Cards which can't be played for a week or two at random over the course of the season... Unlike an actual game - they wouldn't happen mid-game, but after each game Turgy would say which of our active cards was injured and it's severity...

I'd say the roster should be capped at 45. As the cardpool gets better through additions, that's more than enough cards.

At the end of the season, each owner would select 10 "All-stars" from their roster. These would be safe. The other 35 cards would have 5 random Free Agents. Those Free agents would go onto the waiver wire to be picked up as desired based on team finish (a sort of supplemental draft).

You wouldn't have to fill your roster back to 45 - if in fact you wanted, you could go up to 50 cards if they were available.

Then, we'd each open one booster and do a draft from them like the opening draft (using the same worst-best order as the waiver wire). We'd then cut our roster down to 45 cards and play season 2.

Trading is another way to get better...

Also, I don't have a problem with you running a team Turgy - The only possible cheating you could do is creation of packs... but I don't think you'd do that. It'd be too obvious! :)

If someone else wants to join the league, we could do an expansion draft between seasons (before the waiver wire) where each team protects 5 cards and the expansion team selects up to 3 cards from each team.

D

DarthFerret

Well...after a long match Spidey was able to ping me to death...2 points at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.