The CPA Magic Sports League

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DarthFerret

Hey guys, it may take me a couple of days to make my picks. I sprained my right hand yesterday and am having trouble typing or even staying awake (drugs are cool....er...perscription ones anyway). I should be back in full force by Wed or Thur. Sorry for the delay. And yes, this took about 3 mins just to type this...(used backspace a lot...mispellings)

R

rokapoke

You're on prescription drugs for a sprain?

When I had sprained ankles back in high school, I was told to ice it and take Advil.

B

BigBlue

I am aspiring to be the Buffalo Bills of the league - mediocre play by mediocre talent for about a 7-9 season. Just enough to tease my fans (not that I have any).

R

rokapoke

I'm aspiring to be the Miami Dolphins of this league -- spectacularly horrible play behind one or two half-decent creatures.

1-15 here I come!

turgy22

Nothing Special
Of course you don't have to play 16 games! You have to play 22. And I'm sure everyone else thinks their deck is just as bad as yours. Except Ransac, maybe.

Speaking of playing games, I'd like to get some opinions on how the season should be structured. Should I create a schedule, where everyone gets paired up against another player and we rotate through in a set order? Or, since everyone has to play everyone else anyway, should I just let everyone start up their games at their convenience and just track the wins and losses as they come in?

With the pairings, things will probably be a little easier to follow. And as the season progresses, players will gradually clinch playoff spots or be eliminated, so the final few games might be really exciting as some people fight to make the playoffs and others get a chance to play spoiler. But on the other hand, it might cause the season to drag on, as we'll have to wait for each game to finish before moving on to the next set of pairings.

If everyone just plays opponents as soon as they get a chance, the games should move on a little faster, since there won't be much waiting around for others to finish. Plus, people online at the same time can get through their games a little faster. But on the downside, if too many people try to play too many games, the board might get a little bit too cluttered and confusing.

Thoughts?

B

BigBlue

You have to play 22 games with it actually...

But, they aren't Matches, they are games... as near as I can tell...

Will we have a set schedule for our games - or can we play them in whatever order we desire... will there be a time limit? Almost everyone in the league is on a lot... but when a game drags on for months with no plays for a few weeks, it is a bit ridiculous.

Also - I meant to ask this sooner - and it's too late to change now, but why the Mountains in the boosters? I determined I'll be getting one of them and I'm not very happy about it... (of course I could have looked at it wrong). If this were Arabian Nights it'd be acceptable since they had mountains in the commons as a fill card. But otherwise there shouldn't be any basic lands in a booster - ok snow lands in coldsnap and ice age...

turgy22

Nothing Special
I'm not sure why the Mountains are in the boosters. I used Apprentice to generate them and Mountains showed up in some of the packs. I'm not quite sure why. I just assumed they were supposed to be a part of the pack, like basic lands in all the core set packs.

I'll be sure to take them out in the future, but unfortunately we'll just have to live with them for now. If it makes you feel any better, the last card drafted in a pack would probably be unplayable, anyway.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Apprentice seems to generate land in some boosters when there aren't supposed to be any. I always re-gen when I do the Mindmaster games, but I guess it's too late for this now...

B

BigBlue

I for one will attempt to spread out my games a bit - so I can tune my deck a bit... of course I'll have to adjust it somewhat... from game to game since everyone has a public viewing of their rosters...

Incidentally - for those who aren't playing in the league... maybe you should try to put together a "Fantasy" league... :) How cool would that be, a fantasy magic league based on a magic sports league...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Is there going to be a schedule of games (weeks)? That would be best, so standings would make sense. Since we have to play 22 games, that could be broken up into 22 "weeks" like the NFL.

The fantasy Magic League could work by having 5 players drafting 2 teams each and then Decide which team to play each "week". getting 2 points for a win 1 point for a tie and -1 point for a loss.....

turgy22

Nothing Special
So Mooseman is in favor of a schedule. Anyone else?

A fantasy league based on a league involving a fantasy card game... now that's a strange idea. I don't think you could just go based on team records, although that would be simplest. You need to assign points based on stats that may or may not lead to actual wins, just like in real fantasy sports. Points should be distributed based on damage dealt; end-of-game life totals; most creatures played; most creatures killed and things like that.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I'm in favor of a schedule, too. HOWEVER, what would be the system for "no-shows" or "delayed games? (5-turn rule, maybe?)"

Ransac, cpa trash man

R

rokapoke

I like the schedule idea... I know I'm on frequently enough to take care of my end of my games.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Okay, so that's three in favor of a schedule.

Honestly, I have no idea about how to time the games. About how long does the average message board game take? We can set that as a loose guideline. If a game is just taking a long time, through no one's fault, I'd be inclined to let it play out and get the next "week" started anyway. If one person's letting their turn hang, maybe call it a forfeit. I'll definitely have to set a time limit on responding to a particular game - probably 2 days, minus weekends, same as the draft. Does that seem reasonable?

B

BigBlue

I'm very much in favor of the schedule... I'm also very much in favor of some sort of no-show rule... I recognize that some players just aren't able to be online as much... but it's unfair to everyone else to constantly have to wait around too... I'd say make it a 2 week game with 5 turns in place after the first 10 days if a game isn't proceding.

Remember - if you know your play in advance and not much is going to change it, you can tell someone else to make your play for you... usually bystanders will do it as long as you let them know exactly what you want done...

Since the league will be going on through the summer - vacations will affect things, but that is very understandable... there should always be 5 games going.

Turgy - if players finish early can they go on to the next week's schedule?

turgy22

Nothing Special
So, does two weeks sound reasonable to everyone? We'll probably have to play it by ear the first week, but that seems pretty good. And good point on letting bystanders fill in if necessary. Since I'm not participating, I'll definitely be willing to update a game if someone won't be available and knows what they want to do. Of course, this might not always be easy since every play can change a future decision.

I can't possibly see any reason to not allow people to start the next week's game if they've both finished the first week. Two weeks will be used as a time limit, not as a time to start each week.

EDIT: I'm going to start making up the schedule a while. Can everyone do me a favor and post or PM me the times of day that they're usually online and checking this board? That way I can try to line up the weeks so that all the games will go either relatively quickly or slowly at the same time.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Actually I was thinking of playing the games as scheduled.... not playing ahead...
This way we could schedule some of the vacations (Those players don't have games that 2 week period)....

M

Modus Pwnens

I'm not sure if two weeks is long enough. When you're not counting the weekend, timezones might prevent games from getting more than 1 turn per day (which is reasonable I think..).

Two weeks would make that 5 turns for each player, nowhere near enough to finish a game..

Since we'll have to play everyone, why not make a topic to see who has played who (with results etc, a small table), and a list of everyone who is available for play.. that way there is no need to establish any sort of order, and games are played as soon as there are two players ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.