The CPA Magic Sports League

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rokapoke

Out of curiousity, as far as expansion is concerned...

I'd like to bring the comparison with actual sports leagues back into the picture. When the NFL/NHL/etc. add teams, the new teams have paid a large sum to the league to join. Now, I'm not suggesting monetary transactions (unless everybody wants that :)), but I think that the incoming player should pick some booster packs for the "existing players" to draft an additional card each from.

So my proposal is that the incoming player chooses one card from each of the existing players. (S)he then also chooses, say, 3 boosters, and a draft ensues with the players other than her/him, in which each player chooses one card.

That way, the existing players aren't unilaterally "punished" for adding a new player to the league.

Just an idea. Any thoughts?

turgy22

Nothing Special
In general, I like the idea, but I'm not completely sold. Let me explain.

With my current expansion idea, I was trying to think of ways to balance the power of decks between new and existing players. As more seasons get played, the power level of existing decks will continue to rise, making it harder for new people to jump in and be competitive. I felt the simplest solution would be allowing new players to grab some good cards that are already in the mix. And by also allowing existing players to protect a certain number of their cards, they should be able to maintain the core of their decks without getting punished too severely.

The main problem, I think, is going to revolve around color balance. If a new player decides that his best build uses two colors, then any players that don't use those colors won't lose any power from their decks. If we allow the existing players to draft additional cards, the imbalance will be even more substantial, since those players will get a card they can use to replace something they won't. There's also a good possibility that the best cards in those boosters will be better than the 11th best cards on anybody's roster. If that's the case, I'd probably prefer to just give new players more boosters to start with and forget the whole expansion draft.

Another alternative to the expansion draft would be letting new players add additional booster packs to the draft and giving them supplemental picks at the end of each round. Really, though, I think I'll have to see how everyone's deck turns out after this initial draft and decide from there what would be fair.

And, of course, I could just forget the whole expansion thing and just set the league at 10 players forever.

I'll continue mulling things over. Keep throwing out ideas.

turgy22

Nothing Special
In this case, it's luck.

BTW, I think you've gotten off to the best start so far. I knew when I set the order and made the packs that you'd be pulling Wrath, but I didn't think Deranged Hermit would last that long. I was especially surprised to see Modus pass on it for Moment's peace. And obviously, it combos well with the Leyline and Stir the Pride. Time will tell, but I'd say you're off to a great start.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Hermit and Leyline DO make a nice combo, don't they? ;) But, you know. Three bomb creatures and a WoG aren't bad.

Ransac, cpa trash man

M

Modus Pwnens

Hmm, I must have missed in in the huge list, probly didn't took enough time to review it all. I can assure you there was no such thing as a strategy involved :D

B

BigBlue

I'm not a huge fan of this format... maybe that has something to do with picking 9th... :)

B

Budget Player Cadet

Wait a minute. I know, I'm on the clock. So I just pick a card out of the pools of each person below me?

turgy22

Nothing Special
Not quite. You pick one card out of each pool of each player above you. This would be Melkor, Mooseman, Rakarth, Rokapoke, Modus Pwnens, DarthFerret, Ransac, and Spiderman.

turgy22

Nothing Special
The first round is finished. Round 2 begins, Mooseman is up, and from now on everyone takes 10 cards: one from each pool, so that should simplify things.

I have to say, I'm quite pleased with how things are going. Sorry about the long waits between picks and the massive amount of cards to sift through, but it'll save a lot of time in the long run. Now that everyone's grabbing cards in chunks of ten, I suspect things will speed up. Plus, you all have an idea of the colors you're going after and there's been some time to get acquainted with all the cards available. If all goes smoothly, this should be wrapped by the end of May and the season can start.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
turgy22 said:
Plus, you all have an idea of the colors you're going after
Really? Black?

My picks will have to wait till tomorrow....... I have to figure out what is left over for me...... did someone leave me a crumb? :D

B

BigBlue

Hey, there's a second DR out there for you... I'm sure you'll find a use for them... :)

I was really thinking about going identical to what Melkor is doing... but thought I'd try something else.

I hated seeing my opening pack w/ the scroll go by... Had I been thinking, I'd have picked lame packs to pass to other players... knowing I would only get the 10th, 20th, and 30th pick from them...

Status
Not open for further replies.