The CPA Magic Sports League

Status
Not open for further replies.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Yeah, what he said.
Basically, everyone keeps picking one card from each pool. When the pools run out, you don't pick from those anymore. At the end, everyone will have 45 cards.

B

BigBlue

No, you'll get 1 bottom card Jank (as will we all...) Then you'll get the 2nd worst card from one group, the 3rd worst from another group, and the 4th worst from still another group...

Essentially, you'll have picked your best, 11th best, 21st best, 31st best, and 41st best from Melkor's packs.
From my group you got your 2nd best, 12th best, 22nd best, 32nd best, and 42nd best cards...
From ...

From your pack you get your 10th best, 20th best, 30th best, and 40th best cards...

Everyone falls into the same categories - just the people shift... Everyone get's the same picks from their own packs, 10th, 20th, 30th, and 40th picks from them.

This method is a bit goofy, but it made it so we would be able to play before 1/4 of the players dropped off the board like Singleton draft I.

I think we might have selected different packs up front had we known we were basically getting the worst cards from them with everyone else having a crack at them before us.... I might have gone Homelands, Ice Age, and Legends... (Legends maybe doesn't belong in this group... but basically I'd have gone with crappy sets rather than ones I was hoping to see first)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
So basically, I get 4 jank cards.... hehe

I don't think the packs mattered as such, but since I went 1st, there were basically 54 of the top cards that I couldn't pick from, that would be all the rares and most of the uncommons (in theory).....

I have drafted 6 uncommons.....

But let's play it out and see what happens......

turgy22

Nothing Special
BigBlue said:
I think we might have selected different packs up front had we known we were basically getting the worst cards from them with everyone else having a crack at them before us.... I might have gone Homelands, Ice Age, and Legends... (Legends maybe doesn't belong in this group... but basically I'd have gone with crappy sets rather than ones I was hoping to see first)
I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make. Obviously, DF's Unlimited pack yielded one of the best cards in WoG, but it very well could have been one of the Laces or Web or a completely unusable card like Chaos Orb or an Ante card.

By making everyone pick last from their packs, I was hoping that people would choose sets that they liked instead of sets that had top-heavy bomb rares. I didn't really consider that people would intentionally pick bad packs knowing that they're picking last. You're still going to want at least 2-3 good cards out of that pack for yourself. Of course, all the packs are randomized, so it probably doesn't make a difference either way. I think, for the most part, everyone did pick sets that they enjoyed or thought would be fun.

At any rate, the league has begun and the other drafts will be run differently, so it doesn't matter now.

Mooseman said:
I don't think the packs mattered as such, but since I went 1st, there were basically 54 of the top cards that I couldn't pick from, that would be all the rares and most of the uncommons (in theory).....
Not quite. Because each card pool was separate, it was basically the same for everyone. The only difference was how entrenched each person got within their colors before getting their next picks.

So of those 54 "top cards" that you missed out on, 10 were taken from one pack, 9 from another, 8 from another, etc. So you still got the best card from one pack, 2nd best from another, 3rd best from another and so on. Just like everyone else.

turgy22

Nothing Special
I just updated the card selections of the last 4 picks. Just 6 more selections and we'll be ready to start. :) But first, I have some announcements to make:

1) I made a change in how future drafts will take place. I was really happy with the pace of this draft and how it moved along much more quickly than the singleton draft, despite having 2 more players involved. I attribute this mostly to the fact that there were so few rounds (about 5) and people made multiple picks each round. So for future drafts, each player will pick a number of cards equal to the current round (e.g. Round 1 = pick 1 card; round 2 = pick 2 cards, etc.) This will allow the future drafts to finish in 5 rounds instead of 15.

The obvious flaw in this system is that the draft will be heavily tilted toward the players picking early and heavily tilted against the players picking late. I tested it a few times, though and don't think the impact will be as great as it sounds. Sure, whoever wins the championship will get absolute dreck with his last 5 picks, but he did just win the championship. The idea of the draft is to add balance and the last place finisher will need the most help. I really think it's going to be worth it in order to streamline the drafting process. If anyone is abjectly opposed to this change, let me know and we can discuss it. If enough people feel strongly enough against it, I'll switch back and we'll try out the 15-round draft first.

2) I'd like everyone to PM me the packs they'd like to choose from in the next draft before the season starts. Remember to select only one pack and that every card will be placed in one pool. I want to get these before starting the season so that nobody makes their selection based on where they finished.

3) I made up a schedule. The first week's matches will be as follows:
Mooseman vs. Modus Pwnens
BigBlue vs. Spiderman
Budget Player Cadet vs. Rokapoke
Melkor vs. DarthFerret
Ransac vs. Rakarth
Remember that you only play 1 game (not match) against your opponent. I'm going to play it by ear as far as finishing time goes. If enough games finish, I'll probably start the next week's games. After a few weeks, we should have a good idea about how long games should last.

Also, everyone's going to have a bye week at some point. These will take place between weeks 10-14. I'll post the full schedule on the top of this thread in a few minutes.

If anyone has any comments, questions or concerns, let me know.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
turgy22 said:
2) I'd like everyone to PM me the packs they'd like to choose from in the next draft before the season starts. Remember to select only one pack and that every card will be placed in one pool. I want to get these before starting the season so that nobody makes their selection based on where they finished.
We are drafting again before we play any games? Why?

R

rokapoke

Mooseman said:
We are drafting again before we play any games? Why?
I think he just wants packs selected before the season starts. The draft, if I'm not mistaken, will take place after the first season.

B

BigBlue

Anyone want to play a "pre-season" game? To test out our decks.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Je ne care pas. I'd like to get an estimate of how long I have to build my deck.

Ransac, cpa trash man

turgy22

Nothing Special
Week 1 will start as soon as everyone finishes drafting. I think (even though a few people have picks left to make) that everyone's already drafted to core of their deck. There shouldn't be a whole lot left to think about regarding specific builds.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
That's not necessarily true. My deck (for example) recieved a big black boost from my last round of drafting. This could change the way that my opponent for round one constructs his deck. I'd like to see what everybody has in their pool before I assemble my deck.

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

BigBlue

Well, You know your opponent... How much can their deck change?

Rakarth has 3 cards left...

B

Budget Player Cadet

Sorry, I haven't been on lately... My site, MTGDarkness, is taking up a load of time. It'll quiet down a bit soon, I have mods in place, I just need everything to get a little more settled in, and all will be good. I'm making my... how many picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.