The CPA Magic Sports League

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Budget Player Cadet

Uh... Ten drafts? Oh, and boosters sent in (or at least set names...)

turgy22

Nothing Special
Budget Player Cadet said:
Uh... Ten drafts? Oh, and boosters sent in (or at least set names...)
I've been thinking about how to make the draft process easier, so instead of 10 drafts in ten threads, it's going to resemble more of a single draft, where each player makes 10 picks each time (excluding the first & last rounds, where that number increases gradually). I'll explain further when I start the draft thread, but I think it will be pretty easy to get the hang of and keep track of once it gets started.

I got your boosters and will generate them tonight. Now I'm just waiting for Melkor.

B

BigBlue

How about each player picks their top N cards in order for each pack (N being the worst case for them - if they pick fifth it's 5 and so on)... You can then assign who gets what card based on those picks. Then each player who can draft gives you their priorities for the final 5 cards and again you can assign the cards that way... It'd be a lot more efficient to go through the packs that way... You could run 2 drafts at once that way and each player would have almost as much knowledge as they would doing them sequentially...

just a thought...

Another interesting thought I have... After each player grabs their "first pick" from the 2 packs, group the remaining cards from both packs and draft from the new "10 cards" in the same order. Or, you could go through all the packs, then randomly create 10 card packs from the leftovers and use those for the subsequent drafts...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
How 'bout this?

The first person drafts the first pick from the first pack. When the second player comes in, the next pack is added, giving him the second pack from pack 1 and the first pack from pack two. Once fifteen packs have been added, everybody will be picking 15 cards at a time until the packs begin to dwindle down.

Seems logical to me.

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

BigBlue

And... that gives an advantage to drafting later - since you'll have more information than the other drafters (ie what's available in the other packs...)

So, if you draft 10th, you may be getting the 10th, 9th, 8th, ... cards, but you will know what you're getting when you get to draft 1st from the new pack so it'll really help...

I like that idea a lot... Actually - it would suck to pick 1st, since by the time the next pack rolls around, you'll be really far behind.... but I guess you'll still be picking 2nd 3rd, ... in some packs... so it won't be all that bad.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Well... it KINDA sucks to the person drafting first..... until you get to the end, when the person drafting last won't have many options whatsoever. The idea really lends itself to the mid-draft prospects.

Ransac, cpa trash man

turgy22

Nothing Special
Ransac said:
How 'bout this?

The first person drafts the first pick from the first pack. When the second player comes in, the next pack is added, giving him the second pack from pack 1 and the first pack from pack two. Once fifteen packs have been added, everybody will be picking 15 cards at a time until the packs begin to dwindle down.

Seems logical to me.
That's basically what I had in mind, except everyone will be able to see all the packs immediately and it will go to 10, not 15.

I've just received Melkor's packs, so I'm going to generate the remaining cards, compile and sort all the packs to make things as easy for you guys as possible and then start the thread with more detailed instructions either tonight or tomorrow morning - whenever I have time.

Thanks to all for participating. Hope you have fun and good luck!

D

DarthFerret

Can someone sticky the draft thread so it is easy to find amidst all the other games goin on?

B

BigBlue

DarthFerret said:
Can someone sticky the draft thread so it is easy to find amidst all the other games goin on?

I'm quickly discovering that Subscribing is important to keeping track of threads in here... plus if you want you can get notifications when folks post (not as useful when there are 10 people posting in a thread, but you can set it to update you daily rather than instantly).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I can Sticky it, but again, I was thinking that the New Post Indicator isn't set for Sticky posts while you can more readily tell when it has been updated if it's non-Sticky. But yeah, subscribing also works...

R

rokapoke

Can't the onus be on the individual drafters to determine if they're up? I (personally) think it's better for everybody to expect to have to check the draft, and if they miss, that's their problem.

B

BigBlue

It isn't about responsibility... it's about the fact that with a billion mindmaster games going on all the time, threads quickly disappear...

R

rokapoke

BigBlue said:
It isn't about responsibility... it's about the fact that with a billion mindmaster games going on all the time, threads quickly disappear...
True, but I meant in terms of stickying the draft. If it's stickied, and someone doesn't realize it's his turn, then TS, is what I say.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Since the other thread is dying, I decided to just update my initial post here to keep track of picks and records. I also updated the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.