The CPA Magic Sports League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Wait..... are we sending packs via PM or doing Rochester?

I'll all for it if it's Rochester style. But I don't want to handle dealing with this via PM over and over again.

Ransac, cpa trash man

turgy22

Nothing Special
Okay, here's the deal:
You tell me three sets that you would like to draft from. I will generate those packs and open them for all to see and they will be drafted Rochester-style. The only reason I'm asking for you to PM them is so that no one knows ahead of time which sets everyone else is going to choose.

Does that clear things up?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I get you. So, each of us will be given three packs and when it's time for us to draft that pack, we post the pack on the forum.

Is this correct?

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

BigBlue

This seems like a time-killer...

But, since I'm both a sports and magic nut - it's only reasonable I join in too.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Ransac said:
I get you. So, each of us will be given three packs and when it's time for us to draft that pack, we post the pack on the forum.

Is this correct?
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. And I'm not quite sure how else to explain it. All you need to do is PM me with the names of three packs. Then we're going to go through and have a separate draft for each player's packs. I'll be generating and posting the packs in a draft thread once we get started. You don't have to post anything until I start the draft thread.

I think once things get started, it will all become clear.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Are the matches going to be best 2 out of 3 games?
We could use game records for the first tiebreaker.

BTW - I'm in.

B

Budget Player Cadet

I'm in. Should I PM Turgy about which booster I want to throw in, or was it three? I don't know exactly, but I love limited.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Participants so Far (Italicized names have already sent their booster choices)
Spiderman
DarthFerret
Ransac
Rokapoke
Rakarth?
Melkor
BigBlue
Mooseman
Budget Player Cadet

To answer Mooseman's question - it's going to be games, not matches. Everything in Magic is always matches. I want to try something where every game counts, like a sports league. Plus, it will take less time and hopefully make the records more diverse.

I gotta say, I'm surprised by the response. I thought I'd have trouble finding four people to participate in this. Right now I'm thinking everyone's going to play three games against everyone else. With 9 participants, that would be 24 games total. Does that seem like too much? If a tenth person joins (Modus? You know you want to...), I could divide the league into two divisions of 5 teams each and have each person play their divisional foes 3 times and non-divisionals once. That would mean there'd be a total of 17 games, which seems less demanding. And since we have more than 8 people, there's definitely going to be a 4-man playoff.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
So, like a sports team would be able to shift their starting lineup to counter an opponent's attack/defense, would we be able to change our deck from game to game?

Ransac, cpa trash man

turgy22

Nothing Special
Yes, absolutely. I hadn't really considered that, but I think it's a great idea. In fact, it actually makes complete sense, since there won't be matches and therefore no sideboarding. It's like you've got your roster (plus basic lands, we'll call them "coaches") and you can use your "players" whenever and however you want.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds good to me. Like the Singleton, I really have no idea how I'll play, but you know I'm up for it!

turgy22

Nothing Special
I'm guessing there's no way any additional people are going to join, so here's how the league looks:

Participants
Spiderman
DarthFerret
Ransac
Rokapoke
Rakarth
Melkor
BigBlue
Mooseman
Budget Player Cadet
Modus Pwnens

At this point, we can start the drafting process as soon as everyone PMs me their booster choices. I'm just waiting on Melkor now. The sooner you get them to me, the sooner we can start. If I don't have them by Monday, I'll assume you're dropping out.

Clarifications: Since there's so many participants, I'm going to try to run all the drafts simultaneously. Since the draft order is going to stay the same (just rotated) for each draft, this should significantly speed things up. Every time you log on, make sure to check all ten drafts and pick a card from each one. Also, in order to make that work, the drafts will NOT snake around. The order will be fixed, so no one's going to get two picks in a row. It'll probably still take a couple months, but not nearly as long as running one after the other. Also, I'm going to be setting the "draft clocks" at 24 hours. If you don't make a pick 24 hours after the previous drafter (excluding weekends), I'm going to randomly assign you an available card and move on. If you decide you don't like that card, you can exchange it for another card the next time it's your turn to pick. If you know you're going to be away for more than a day, just PM me with a list of your top choices from each draft and I'll make the selections for you. Sorry to be such a fascist about this, but I really don't want the draft portion of the league to drag on.

I think that's all the important information at this point. Let me know if there's any questions and PM me those boosters so we can get this rolling!

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
24 hours seems bit harsh when you include the weekend. People like Spidey may be skipped over multiple times. How about if it's a 24 hour limit, weekend not included, i.e.: If the person person selects on 11am Friday, you have until 11am Monday to pick. The next person has until 11am Tuesday to pick.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ransac said:
24 hours seems bit harsh when you include the weekend. People like Spidey may be skipped over multiple times. How about if it's a 24 hour limit, weekend not included, i.e.: If the person person selects on 11am Friday, you have until 11am Monday to pick. The next person has until 11am Tuesday to pick.Ransac, cpa trash man
Yeah, weekends can get very busy and with 10 different drafts to monitor, there would be a lot of skips.

Status
Not open for further replies.