Team-made set...

S

Sidar Jabari

I'm a little worried about Entrapment.

Blue really shouldn't be able to destroy creatures, let alone remove them from the game, that's more of a white ability.

We should either make it:

Entrapment
UW
Sorcery
Remove target creature from the game. It's controller draws two cards.

OR

Some kind of tricky blue effect, like shuffling the creature back into it's controllers library.

How about

Entrapment
1U
Sorcery
Shuffle target creature into it's controllers library. It's contoller draws a card.

Hmm... maybe we should use both cards.

Entrapment
1U
Enchantment
Sacrifice Entrapment: Shuffle target creature into it's contollers library. It's contoller draws a card.
W, Sacrifice Entrapment: Remove target creature from the game. It's controller draws two cards.

Well, which ever one we use we should try to keep the colours in flavour. Are we all agreed that remove from the game is generally a white thing to do? (Swords to Plowshares, Exile, Tariff, Topple etc..)

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Azeron's/Wicked Demand: I suggest we change "both" to "all" to help in multiplayer games.

The cards otherwise look great!

F

FoundationOfRancor

Good call Thallid, good call... Sidar, I like the non gold version of Entrapment with W on it.

I was thinking, how about a couple of Blue Creatures that are automatically shuffled into your library when something happens?
Heres some ideas

Sonic Reaper UU
Creature- Behemoth
When Sonic Reaper comes into play, put 3 Rage counters on it.
During your upkeep, remove a rage counter.
When Sonic Reaper has no rage counters on it, shuffle it back into your library.
4/2

Weaving Stratagem U
Enchantment
Whenever a spell is played, shuffle Weaving Stratagem back into your Library.
2: Counter target spell or activated ability. Any player may play this ability.

-This is probablly broken.

Hovering Efreet 5U
Creature-Efreet
Flying.
Whenever Hovering Drake becomes the target of a spell or ability, shuffle it back into your library and draw a card.
4/4

Blinding Blaze UR
Instant
Counter target spell. Sacrifice a land.

The Weaver is probablly broken, but I think it's interesting. What do you think?

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Ooooooooh...... Nice cards (no, I'm not drooling,... yet.....)

But the Reaper should get 2 rage counters, not 3. Blue creatures are usually overcosted as it is, and this would be good for any color. Heck, it's on par with Ball Lightning, except that you could find it again pretty easily.

Other than that, it is now time for someone to get a bucket for my drool...

D

DÛke

...see all those wonderful cards, but I have time to "copy and paste" some cards I've made:

Defying Outlaw (2UU)(3/4)
Creature - Hooligan
Defying Outlaw is unblockable.
Defying Outlaw can't attack or block unless you return a creature you control back to owner's hand.

Storm Bluster (2U)
Sorcery
Tap all lands target player controls.
Tap all Islands you control.
Lands tapped this way don't untap during their controller's next untap step.

Storm Magnate (3U)(1/4)
Creature - Magnate
At the beginning of your upkeep step, if you control an Island, you may choose to tap all Islands you control. If you do, return target permanent back to owner's hand.

Storm-Front Dove (3U)(2/2)
Creature - Bird
Flying
Tap all Islands you control, sacrifice Storm-Front Dove: Tap all creatures target player controls. Those creatures don't untap during their controller's next untap step.

Storm Drake (1U) (2/3)
Creature - Drake
Flying
At the beginning of your upkeep step, tap all Islands you control.

Conceal (1UU)
Instant
Choose 3 target permanents controled by target player.
That player chooses 1 of those permanents and returns the rest back to owner's hand.

Indulgence (X1UU)
Instant
Counter target spell with total mana cost of X, and draw X cards.

Spawning (G)
Sorcery
As an additional cost to play Spawning, sacrifice a creature.
Put a Spawn token into play under your control. Treat that token as a 3/3 Green creature.

Spawning Infestation (X4G)(3/3)
Creature - Spawn
As Spawning Infestation comes into play, sacrifice all other creatures you control, and put X Spawn tokens into play. Treat each token as a 3/3 Green creature.

Stark Lamina (X2B)(5/5)
Creature - Lamina
As Stark Lamina comes into play, you lose 5 life and gain X life.

Stark Executioner (X3B)(2/2)
Creature - Executioner
As Stark Executioner comes into play, choose 1: Put X -1/-1 counter on target creature, or target player loses X life.

Stark Judgement (X2BB)
Sorcery
Each player chooses X cards in his or her hands and removes the rest from the game.

Domino Theory (2B)
Enchantment
At the end of each player's turn, if that player discarded any cards duing that turn, that player chooses and discards a card from his or her hand.

Stark Parasite (X2B)(4/3)
Creature - Parasite
As Stark Parasite comes into play, choose X cards in your hand and remove the rest from the game.

Surge Elemental (X2RG)(2/2)
Creature - Elemental
Haste, Trample
As Surge Elemental comes into play, it gains +X/+X until end of the turn.

Ascendance (X3WW)
Sorcery
Choose X target creatures, and destroy all other creatures. Those creatures can't regenerate.

Entomb (X2B)
Sorcery
Target player sacrifices a creature. That creature's controller loses X life.

Stark Judgement (X3B)
Sorcery
Target player chooses and discards 2 cards from his or her hand. That player discards X cards at random.

Surge (XG)
Instant
Choose 1: Target creature gains +2/+2 until end of the turn, or +X/+X until end of the turn.

Bleak Desolation (1B)
Sorcery
Search opponent's library for all copies of a creature card. Shuffle that player's library. Put one of those creatures into play under owner's controler, and remove the rest from the game.

Inner Whisper (2U)
Sorcery
Search opponent's library for all copies of any card. Shuffle that player's library. Put one of those cards into owner's hand, and remove the rest from the game.

Blinding Wind (X3U)
Instant
Tap all creatures target player controls. Return X target creatures that player controls back to owner's hand.

Imagenary World (2U)
Sorcery
Each player returns an artifact, a creature, a land, and an enchantment card back to owner's hand.

Sudden Cognition (X1U)
Instant
Look at the top X cards of your library and put them back in any order.
Draw a card.

Trinity Martyr (2WW)(2/2)
Creature - Martyr
Sacrifice Divine Martyr: Tap all lands you control. For each Plains tapped this way, you gain 1 life; for each Island tapped this way, draw a card; and for each Forest tapped this way, creatures you control gain +1/+1 until end of the turn.

>>That's it, for now. :)

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by DÛke
...see all those wonderful cards, but I have time to "copy and paste" some cards I've made:
Storm Bluster (2U)
Sorcery
Choose a basic land type.
Tap all lands of the chosen land type that target player controls. Lands tapped this way don't untap during their controler's next untap step.

Storm Magnate (2U)(1/4)
Creature - Magnate
As Storm Magnate comes into play, return a lands you control back to owner's hand.
U, return a land you control back to owner's hand: Return target permanent back to owner's hand.

Surge Elemental (X3R)(2/2)
Creature - Elemental
Haste
As Surge Elemental comes into play, it gains +X/+0 until end of the turn.

>>That's it, for now. :)
Storm Bluster BEGS to be comboed with Stasis. You don't even have to play Stasis that turn...you can wait a turn, and achieve lockdown. Dangerous.

Storm Magnate is BROKEN with the new Fastbond/Horn of Greed decks. This would be the kill card, plain and simple. Return your side of the board to your hand...

Surge Elemental should come with Trample and start out at 3/2, considering how much mana you're gonna be dumping into it.

D

DÛke

...many versions of my cards already made, just incase. :)

See the new cards, Istanbul...I don't think they're that powerful...plus, most of them focus on non-mono themes, since the drawbacks are mostly towards the mono-freaks.

...I also added a couple of new cards there...and altered some "weird" ones.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Later tonight Ill post my thoughts on all these great cards, but im in a hurry now and I dont wanna forget this idea:

Overflowing Explosion XRR
Instant
Overflowing Explosion deals X damage to target creature or player.
If Overflowing Explosion is countered, you may deal 4 damage to target creature or player.

Engulfing Vines GG
Creature- Elemental
If Overflowing Growth is countered, you may put a +1+1 counter on target creature.
2/1

whew...blue hate, gotta love it. What do you guys think?

F

FoundationOfRancor

Defying Outlaw: I would make it 4/4, looks cool other than that.

Storm Bluster: Interesting...looks good.

Storm Magnate: Good, goes realy good with Stasis...ok though.

Storm-Front Dove: ok

Storm Drake: I think its a little powerful, try making it a 2/2 instead, so it can be shocked.

Conceal: I like it, its good

Indulgence: Interesting, balanced...

Spawning: So I sac a 1/1 elf, I get a 3/3? Yup. Balanced.

Spawning Infestation: I think its a little powerful late game. To balance it, I would make it an enchantment, 2GGX, (with the sacrifice all creatures thing)...then, I would cut down the name to simply "Infestation"
Of course, that totally changed the card...what do you think Duke?
---------------------
I really dont like all the titles with "stark" in them...

Stark Lamina:
I really, really, really like this card. However, im a little worried that it might be a little too powerful if you let X be 0, and lose the 5 life.
Name Suggestion: Jaded Traitor

Stark Executioner:
I like it, but I would make (For both abilties) "spend only black mana in this way"
Name Suggestion: Infernal Executioner

Stark Judgement:
This is cool, sort of like a selective Mind Twist.
Name Suggestion: Complete Judgement

Domino Theory:
Wicked in a Discard deck. But I suppose if that Devotion card is alright, this is.

Stark Parasite:
This is neat. And Flexible. Cool...
Name Suggestion: Grasping Parasite

Surge Elemental:
Add trample!

Ascendance:
Optional Wrath of god? Yes!

Entomb:
This is awfully powerful...I would make it 3B.

Stark Judgement two:
Balanced.
Name Suggestion: Harsh Judgement...?

Surge:
A little flexible Giant Growth, tis good.

Bleak Desolation:
It looks balanced, maybe a little too weak. Make it put the creature into the players hand to make it a little better.

Inner Whisper:
I would make this usable on any player (which include yourself) and make it cost 2UU.

Blinding Wind:
Balanced.

Imagenary World:
In a control deck, this is good. The question is, does it slow down the player to much so getting control of the game is a sinch? If so, I would make it cost 3U.
Name Suggestion: False World

Sudden Cognition:
A good combo searcher, pretty balanced.

Trinity Martyr:
I think the plains abilty should gain you two life.

Thats my thoughts on all these crazy new cards...what do you guys think?

F

FoundationOfRancor

Breathless Baron 3BB
Creature- Zombie
T: Put target creature card from any graveyard other than yours into play under your control. Lose X life, where X is the coverted casting cost of the creature.
3/4

Hellbound 2BB
Instant
Remove target creature from the game.
Your opponent loses 2 life.

Savage Mammoth 1GG
Creature- Auroch
Savage Mammoth has power and toughness equal to X, where X is equal to seven minus the number of cards target opponent has in his or her hand.
X/X

-This could be broken, what do you guys think?

Legion Barricade 2W
Creature- Wall
Flying
When Legion Barricade comes into play, put a +0+2 counter on it for each blue or green creature in play.
0/4

Ok...thoughts? Comments? Ideas? Anything?

S

Sidar Jabari

What's the X in Breathless Baron?

Is it the creatures power, toughness, converted mana cost, what?

Anywayz, good cards!

F

FoundationOfRancor

Good catch Sidar..and thanks!

The baron is kinda like a spellshaper for the Tempest spell, ressurect. I always liked that spell, but it never got much attention.

S

Sidar Jabari

I've had another look through your last post, Rancor, and I've just read Hellbound properly.

Maybe we should make it.

Hellbound 2BB
Instant
Destroy target creature. It can't be regenerated.
That creatures controller loses 2 life.

The reasons:
1) Black has LOTS more fun when creatures go to the graveyard. Therefore, Green and White, as Black's enemies, should have almost all the cards that remove creatures from graveyards. (White removing them from game, Green returning them to the library ala Repopulate)

2) Your previous card text of 'your opponent loses 2 life' is a little ambiguous for us multiplayer freaks so I changed the life loss to the creatures controller.

Savage Mammoth is very cool, as it punishes those who empty thier hand too quickly. It is costed appropriately lower than Maro because you have less control over your opponents hand. It could, however, be strong with discard and it's casting cost might have to be changed to GGG to make it even less splashable. I think it's creature type should be elephant because arouchs ar more like buffalo.

The baron should not be a zombie. He is nobility and should be in contol of his own destiny, not the mindless thrall of some necromancer. How about creature - aristocrat.

Why does Legion Barricade get stronger when creatures of it's allied colours are abundant? Surely it would be better if it got stronger when it had more enemies i.e. Black and Red.

D

DÛke

...is under-costed. Look at "Death Bomb" from Planeshift. It does the same thing, for the same total mana cost (of 4), and requires you to sacrifice a creature as an additional cost. Hellbound simply will have to cost 5B (or 3BB and be a Sorcery).

S

Sidar Jabari

Death Bomb is not the kind of card that you should rate creature kill cards by, simply because it's pretty poor removal, a limited card at best! ;)
A better card to compare Hellbound to would be Terror, the black creature kill staple.

What Terror does.
Kills a red, green, white, blue or colourless non-artifact creature. Cost 2

What Hellbound will do extra.
1) Kills a better variety of creatures (flexibilty is everything - isn't that almost the tagline of our set?) namely black and artifact. (Not unprecedented, look at Terminate!) Can't cost much more than 1.
2) Causes the creatures controller to lose 2 life. Shock level, costs about 1.

Which gives us our cost of 4.

The only possible change is one of flavour. An argument can be made that Black spells should not be able to kill Black creatures, after all, it's the theme of how black creature kill works.

How about

Hellbound 2BB
Instant
Destroy target non-black creature. It can't be regenerated.
It's controller loses 2 life.

Which is basically a fixed version of Death <sucky> Bomb and doesn't actually do anything new for the set. If anyone can think of a new variation on black creature kill for our set it would be well recieved and I'm sure would replace Hellbound straight away, but until then we'd better stick with this.

B

Baskil

I'm probably a little late to jump on this bandwagon, but I have an idea that I've been working on for some time:

Hot Potato (or maybe Time Bomb, Live Grenade, whatever)
Artifact
Rare
During your upkeep, put a heat(or time) counter on Hot Potato
At the end of your turn, sacrifice a land. Otherwise, take X damage where X is equal to the number of heat counters on Hot Potato
Sacrifice a land: Remove a heat counter from Hot Potato
Sacrifice a land: Target player gains control of Hot Potato
"Ooo, aahh, ow"

S

Sidar Jabari

Hmmm... not bad!

I like it, but I can't speak for everyone else. It'll have to be renamed (We're trying to make a 'serious' set) and I'd probably reduce it's casting cost and maybe remove the 'sac a land: Remove a heat counter' ability because it wouln't really get used, seeing as you could sac a land to prevent the damge or sack a land to give it away.

How about

Pain Engine 4
Artifact
During your upkeep put a pain counter on Pain Engine.
At the end of your turn sacrifice a land or take X damage, where X is equal to the number of pain counters on Pain Engine.
Sacrifice a land: Target player gains control of Pain Engine

Oh, and by the way, we kind of want people who submit to also comment on existing cards so that we don't get a flood of posts without balancing the set. Or at least that's what I think.

So, feel free to commment on anything you've seen so far that seems boken, weak, or out of flavour! A fresh pair of eyes could be exactly what we need to spot some glaring mistake. Adter all, there aren't that many regular contributors on this thread, so we're bound to miss some things!

On that point, the "Angelic Wings" card from ages ago (that needs to be renamed!), is still a problem becuase you could cast it on an opponents creature, draw a card, bounce 'Wings and the creature back to hand for only 5 mana. Cheaper than Capsize, with draw a card! Mad! The whole set of creature enchantments probably needs to be reviewed.

S

Sidar Jabari

Someone said something about 'super charms' earlier in the thread. How about we look at those.

Here's alist of things each colour charm could do, kind of like mascot abilities for eack colour.

White
Life gain
Kills attacking creatures

Blue
Done already

Black
Some kinda ritual effect
Creature kill
Raise Dead effect

Green
Make some token creatures

Red
Do some damage
Kill a land

Obviously, we need moe ideas than this. Also, does anyone think the market may already have been cornered be the Dragon Charms in Planeshift?

Mercifull Knight
WW
3/3
If Merciful Kinght blocks or is blocked by a non-black creature prevent all combat damage that would be dealt by Mercifull Knight.

D

DÛke

...I feel sad for these cards! Too many cards, so little time...and it's not anyone's fault, but mine. I promise, I'll have the chosen cards for Green and/OR White ready to go by (maybe th end) of this weekend.

I have another wave of cards made that focuses on multi-colored decks - this time, they're simplers than the other ones earlier.

>>>I think FoR and Sidar are doin' a great job with this. Big hand for you guys...and of course, you'll be the first to come in mind when makin' the sets "credits" ;). Keep the good work goin', unlike me. (See my promise in the first paragraph though :D).

Hellbound awafully looks similar to one of my cards which was:

`name` (X2B)
Sorcery
Target player sacrifices a creature.
That player loses X life.

...SO, why not "combine" both cards to create:

Hellbound (X3B)(or X2BB?)(even XBBB would fit but wouldn't be splashible)
Instant
Destroy target non-Black creature. That creature can't regenerate.
That creature's controler loses X life.
"A stand on life's ending edge."

F

FoundationOfRancor

Whew!

I like Dukes idea of combining them...heres a final version:

1.)
Hellbound 2BBX
Instant
Remove target non-artifact creature from the game.
That creature's controler loses X life.
"A stand on life's ending edge."

2.)
Overflowing Explosion XRR
Instant
Overflowing Explosion deals X damage to target creature or player.
If Overflowing Explosion is countered, you may deal 4 damage to target creature or player.

3.)
Engulfing Vines GG
Creature- Elemental
If Overflowing Growth is countered, you may put a +1+1 counter on target creature.
2/1

4.)
Defying Outlaw 2UU
Creature - Hooligan
Defying Outlaw is unblockable.
Defying Outlaw can't attack or block unless you return a creature you control back to owner's hand
4/4

5.)
Sonic Reaper 1U
Creature- Behemoth
When Sonic Reaper comes into play, put 2 Rage counters on it.
During your upkeep, remove a rage counter.
When Sonic Reaper has no rage counters on it, shuffle it back into your library.
4/2

6.)
Weaving Stratagem U
Enchantment
Whenever a spell is played, shuffle Weaving Stratagem back into your Library.
2: Counter target spell or activated ability. Any player may play this ability.

7.)
Hovering Efreet 5U
Creature-Efreet
Flying.
Whenever Hovering Drake becomes the target of a spell or ability, shuffle it back into your library and draw a card.
4/4

8.)
Blinding Blaze UR
Instant
Counter target spell. Sacrifice a land.

9.)
Velocity UR
Sorcery
Target creature gains haste and first strike untill end of turn.
Draw two cards.

10.)
Storm Drake 1U
Creature - Drake
Flying
At the beginning of your upkeep step, tap all Islands you control.
2/2

11.)
Infestation 2GGX
Enchantment
When this comes into play, sacrifice all creatures you control.
GG: Put X Thallid tokens into play, treat these tokens as 3/3 green creatures that count as Thallids.

12.)
Jaded Traitor 2BX
Creature - Lamina
As Jaded Traitor comes into play, you lose 5 life and gain X life.
5/5

13.)
Infernal Executioner 3BX
Creature - Executioner
As Infernal Executioner comes into play, choose 1: Put X -1/-1 counter on target creature, or target player loses X life.
2/2

14.)
Complete Judgement 2BBX
Sorcery
Each player chooses X cards in his or her hands and removes the rest from the game.

15.)
Grasping Parasite 2BX
Creature - Parasite
As Grasping Parasite comes into play, choose X cards in your hand and remove the rest from the game.
4/3

16.)
Surge Elemental 2RGX
Creature - Elemental
Haste, Trample
As Surge Elemental comes into play, it gains +X/+X until end of the turn.
2/2

17.)
Entomb: were cutting for HellBound, right?

18.)
Bleak Desolation 1B
Sorcery
Search opponent's library for all copies of a creature card. Shuffle that player's library. Put one of those creatures into it's controllers hand and remove the rest from the game.

19.)
Inner Whisper 2U
Sorcery
Search any library for all copies of any card. Shuffle that player's library. Put one of those cards into owner's hand, and remove the rest from the game.

20.)
Delusive World 3U
Sorcery
Each player returns an artifact, a creature, a land, and an enchantment card back to owner's hand.

21.)
Trinity Martyr 2WW
Creature - Martyr
Sacrifice Divine Martyr: Tap all lands you control. For each Plains tapped this way, you gain 2 life; for each Island tapped this way, draw a card; and for each Forest tapped this way, creatures you control gain +1/+1 until end of the turn.
2/2

22.)
Breathless Baron 3BB
Creature- Evincar (lord? Autrocrat?)
T: Put target creature card from any graveyard other than yours into play under your control. Lose X life, where X is the coverted casting cost of the creature.
3/4

23.)
Savage Mammoth 1GG (Maybe 3G?)
Creature- Auroch
Savage Mammoth has power and toughness equal to X, where X is equal to seven minus the number of cards target opponent has in his or her hand.
X/X

24.)
Legion Barricade 2W
Creature- Wall
Flying
When Legion Barricade comes into play, put a +0+2 counter on it for each blue or green creature in play.
0/4

Answer to someones question about Legion Barricade: No, Because its a legion. The bigger the legion, the stronger it is. I was gonna add white to the mix, but I thought it would be too strong. Thoughts?

There really no point to the number system, just my own organization methods.

Duke: I just kinda...added my changes. what do you think about them?

Everyone: Well, im off to good ole NYC to sing in Carnegie Hall tommorow morning. Ill see everybody apon return.

Good luck with the set!