Subterfuge; Post revision cards

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Obviously this card is not going in Subterfuge, but I didn't know exactly where to put it, so here goes:

Cacaphony
1B
Enchantment
During each of your opponents' upkeeps, if there are four or more creatures in play, that player discards a card.

Not a spectacular card by any means, but if we're going to make any followup sets we've got to start somewhere.

J

Jake74

Originally posted by Thallid Ice Cream Man
Obviously this card is not going in Subterfuge, but I didn't know exactly where to put it, so here goes:
Actually, we may need some new cards for the set. Who knows how balanced and complete each rarity is...
Also, I think we do plan on keeping this going for a whole cycle, so keep the cards coming...

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Can we make ultra-powerful four color cards?
There have been many three color cards (something like 60) and a couple of 5 color cards; why not 4 color cards?

Obviously there wouldn't be more than one of each combination.
They could be superpowerful, to deal with the obvious disadvantage. I'm not talking Coalition Victory super-powerful either(not that that is super powerful anyway; it isn't).

*sigh* Oh well, back to the ordinary cards.

Common
Sword Swallower
2W
Creature - Performer
2/3
When Sword Swallower would be dealt damage by an artifact, put a +1/+1 counter on it instead.
"...And now, ladies and gentlemen, the amazing Lester will attempt another dangerous and death-defying feat for your viewing pleasure. If you are squeamish or do not react well to the sight of blood, have no fear - you'll faint before the worst of it."

Common/Uncommon
Arctic Frost
2UU
Enchantment
N/A
Whenever a creature attacks you, put a frostbite counter on it and tap it.
Creatures with frostbite counters on them don't untap during their controllers' untap steps.
3: Untap a creature you control with a frostbite counter on it and remove that counter. Any player may play this ability but only during his or her upkeep.

Common
Frantic Whispers
B
Instant
N/A
Roll a six-sided die. If you have that many cards in your hand, draw two cards.
(I'm guessing this will get cut, but oh well.)

Common
Maturity Rites
1R
Enchantment
N/A
When a creature comes into play, its controller may pay 2. If he or she does, Maturity Rites deals 2 damage to that creature. Then, put a passage counter on it during its next controller's upkeep.
Creatures with passage counters on them get +1/+1.

J

Jake74

Originally posted by Thallid Ice Cream Man
Can we make ultra-powerful four color cards?
There have been many three color cards (something like 60) and a couple of 5 color cards; why not 4 color cards?
Obviously there wouldn't be more than one of each combination.
They could be superpowerful, to deal with the obvious disadvantage. I'm not talking Coalition Victory super-powerful either(not that that is super powerful anyway; it isn't).
The only problem I see with this is finding a card that fits for 4 colors... We wouldn't want to make it 4 colors just because we can... If we do find some good combos, we can put them in set 3(usually the strongest set anyway)...

Sword Swallower
This is cool! Not sure how useful, but whatever...
Great with your own masticore-2 mana for a +1/+1, where do I sign up?

Arctic Frost
I like this too. With the current working, the creature is still attacking you, not sure if that was the intent but, it should stay that way.

Frantic Whispers
Why is this black? I can see blue or even red, but black?
make the cc UR and 3(or 4) cards.

Here's another take at the same concept:
R
Psycho Drawing
BRUW
Instant
--
Roll a d6, if the number equals cards in hand, draw to seven. Lose life equal to cards drawn.
If it doesn't equal, gain life equal to number rolled.

Maturity Rites
Good Idea, but having the option might be too strong, make it mandatory damage, then +1/+1

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

If we make Maturity Rites's ability mandatory, then the card is too much of a weenie killer, because it becomes a cheap Æther Flash. Ponza/SRB would sb this card against WW.
But if you want to, lessen the damage and/or make it cost 1RR or something.

Maybe make the activation cost something else instead of mana, like "Discard a card."

That Psycho Drawing thing, if it is to be a power card, could be much simpler:
"Roll a d6. Draw that many card, and gain that much life."

But we don't need to use that to take up any power card slot.

J

Jake74

Maturity Rites
For some reason, I was thinking this would only affect your own creatures... DUH!

My psycho drawing card was just an example, but the way you did it made it different... The way I had it, if you do draw the cards, you lose life, if you don't draw the cards, you gain life. It is only a 1 in 6 chance to draw cards.
I think it is a powerful card like that and it fits all 4 colors:B life for cards, R chance/random, U card drawing, W life gain.

R

RabidKimba

About Concentration Camps, if you want it to do what I think you do....

Old version, for reference:
Concentration Camps -Uncommon
2B
Enchantment
When Concentration Camps comes into play, shuffle all creatures in play together, and place them face down beneath Concentration Camps.
1B: Remove the top card beneath Concentration Camps from the game.
When Concentration Camps leaves play, you lose 2 life for each creature removed from the game by Concentration Camps.

Reworded Version:
Concentration Camps - Uncommon
2B
Enchantment
When ~this~ comes into play, shuffle all creatures in play together, and place the face down beneath ~this~.
1B: Remove the top card beneath ~this~ from the game. Put a ~blah~ counter on ~this~.
When ~this~ leaves play, lose 2 life for each ~blah~ counter on ~this~, and return all creatures beneath ~this~ under their owners control.

Are there any donate-type spells in the set? Because if there were, this could be abused strongly, so you could change it to "when ~this~ leaves your control, remove all ~blah~ counters from ~this~, and lose 2 life for each counter removed in this way."

J

Jake74

Originally posted by RabidKimba
About Concentration Camps, if you want it to do what I think you do....

Nope, it isn't too late... you can throw in your 2 cents about all the cards if you want. We are still working on the final cuts and revisions...
We knew con camps needed reworded, but weren't sure exactly how to word it...

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Re: Maturity Rites: I know; I forgot too at first. Then I remembered, so I added the option.
Psycho Drawing: Yours is probably better, but if I scrape 4 mana of different colors together I don't want a 5 in 6 chance of gaining an average of 3 or 4 life.
Make it double the die roll for life gain. Remember, all you can do is gain life if you have no cards in hand.

But as I said, we don't need for this to the one of the power cards. Sure, we can make it, but whether it becomes a power card or just another card will probably be determined later.

Uncommon
Exalt/Defile
2W/BR
Sorcery/Sorcery
Exalt: Remove target creature from the game. Its controller gains life equal to its power.
Defile: Remove target creature from the game. Defile deals 3 damage to you.

Uncommon
Study/Revel
2U/2RG
Instant/Sorcery
Study: Choose up to two cards in your hand and shuffle them into your library. Draw that many cards.
Revel: Choose a creature card in your hand and put it into play. At the end of the turn, return it to owner's hand.

Uncommon
Hoard/Reward
2B/GW
Instant/Sorcery
Hoard = Target player loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
Reward = You gain 6 life.

Hopefully it should be obvious what these are. :)
If we can consider them I want to make a R/WU and a G/UB one, but I don't have any good ideas.
Remmeber, these can't be too complicated. Also, I want both sides of these split cards to be slightly related, even if their effects are almost totally different.

J

Jake74

I know you're right about psycho... it is a bit weak... we could even cut the life loss... it is only one in six... and d6x2 life when you have zero cards might be worth 4 mana, maybe not...

Gold Splits
I do like the idea, but we need names that work together, look at the names of the real splits...

Exalt/Defile
Good abilities/fits the colors
maybe cease and desist?

Study/Revel
Both of these seem too weak...
Try this:

U
Surprise/Disbelief
1RG/1U
Instant/Instant
---
Surprise: Choose a creature card in your hand and put it into play. During your upkeep, pay its casting cost or sacrifice it.
Disbelief: Choose up to two cards in your hand and shuffle them into your library. Draw that many cards.

Hoard/Reward
Hoard may be too weak...3 mana for a 2 life swing? It is a split card...
Call it Rape and Plunder (might be too offensive?)
[edit]Thought about it... Love and Hate is better[/edit]

I'll try to think up ideas for the other 2 color combos
[edit]Here's ideas for the other colors:

U
Crash/Burn
1UW/3R
Instant/Sorcery
---
Crash: Tap target land. Until end of turn, creatures you control gain protection from the color(s) of mana that land can produce.
Burn: Burn deals 2 damage to target player for each nonbasic land he or she controls.

U
Give/Take
3G/3UB
Sorcery/Sorcery
---
Give: Until your next upkeep, lands may produce 1 or 2 mana of any color instead of their normal color.(this affects opponents too)
Take:Tap all lands. They don't untap during their controllers next untap step.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Crash's effect lasts until end of turn.
Burn should be 2 damage for each nonbasic land.
Take should cost 3UB (Or, if you think that's too much, 2BU).

Thanks for help with ideas for the split cards!

J

Jake74

What do you think about my suggestions for your cards?

Any ideas for 4 color power cards that fit the colors? Anyone??

I

Istanbul

Hoard should cost B. Last Caress is only 2B because it's a cantrip.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I agree with Istanbul about that one, 2 life swing total really is too little for 3 mana even on a split card.

J

Jake74

Originally posted by Istanbul
Hoard should cost B. Last Caress is only 2B because it's a cantrip.
Is there an existing card that simply gives -1 life, +1 life with no card drawing? if there is and it costs B, this should be 1B. If there isn't this is ok at B...

F

FoundationOfRancor

RabidKimba's new version of Concentration Camps seems great.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Jake74: The only time that appeared on a card was as one of the abilities on Ebony Charm from Mirage, so it's safe to price it at B.

J

Jake74

TICM: Sounds good then!!

BTW, I was on the MTGnews boards and found a card making program... it is very very easy and cool...
Anyone want to start making the actual cards? I can post them on my website...

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Debase
UBRG
Instant
Choose a creature and remove it from the game. Its controller loses life equal to its power, and you draw that many cards.

Mammoth Kantarka (Needs name change)
BRGW
Creature - Harbinger
4/4
X1, Pay X life: Mammoth Kantarka deals X damage to target creature and to target player.
When Mammoth Kantarka deals damage to a player, you may pay BW. If you do, that player discards a card.

Jurvan Kantarka (Probably needs name change)
RGWU
Creature - Harbinger
3/3
Flying, first strike
2RU, Tap: Look at the top two cards of your library. Put one into your hand and remove the other from the game. Put a +1/+1 counter on Jurvan Kantarka.

Halls of Diamonds
GWUB
Enchantment
During each player's upkeep, that player chooses a creature he or she controls and sacrifices it. If that player does, until end of turn, lands lose their mana abilities and have "Sacrifice this land: Add X mana to your mana pool of a color among those of the creature sacrificed to Halls of Diamonds this turn. If the creature is colorless, the mana is colorless. X is the creature's power. Play this ability as a mana source."
If you don't during your turn, sacrifice Halls of Diamonds.

Hermitage
2U
Enchantment
1UU: Shuffle target creature you control into its owner's library. You draw a card.

Bonedance Curse
3UBB
Enchantment
When Bonedance Curse comes into play, choose target player.
Skip the chosen player's draw step.
Pay 1 life: Draw a card. Only the chosen player may play this ability.

Crystalwood Mantle
GU
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1.
1G: Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
U: Counter target spell that targets enchanted creature.

Talisman of Assertion
Artifact
2, Tap: Gain control of a permanent that you own and don't control. Draw a card.

Jurvan Furnacemouth
2R
Creature - Hound
2/2
Sacrifice an artifact: Add R to your mana pool. Play this ability as a mana source.

Skyfire Dragon
4RRU
Creature - Dragon
5/6
RU: Skyfire Dragon deals 1 damage to target creature. That creature has flying until end of turn.
Flying

Ivory Walls
WW
Enchantment
1W: The next time target white creature is damaged this turn, prevent that damage.

Dense Canopy
GG
Enchantment
Creatures you control have protection from creatures with flying.

Tenuous Grasp
1UU
Enchant Creature
2U: Gain control of enchanted creature until end of turn.

Psychic Rift
1UU
Enchantment
U: Draw a card. At the beginning of the next turn, remove Psychic Rift from the game.

Jurvan Priest
GG
Creature - Cleric
1/2
When a creature is tapped for mana, it produces an additional colorless mana.

Tainted Cherub
BB
Creature - Angel
0/1
Flying
1B, Pay 1 life, Tap: Destroy target white creature.

Kinship
2G
Instant
Two target creatures each get +3/+3 until end of turn if they share a color.

Fungal Symbiosis
2GG
Enchantment
When a permanent comes into play, put a spore counter on Fungal Symbiosis.
Pay 3 life, Remove all spore counters from Fungal Symbiosis: Put an X/X green Saproling creature token into play, where X is the number of spore counters removed from Fungal Symbiosis.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Whoo! Thallid, these cards look awesome! Great job! I was also thinking about your 4-color cards, what if they gained up and hosed the one non-used color? Like something like this:
Yo
RGBW
Instant
Destroy all islands in play. This deals one damage to target creature or player for each one island destroyed.

What do you think?

Debase
THis is good, I like it.

Mammoth Kantarka
Looks pretty good, kinda dorky name though.

Jurvan Kantarka
I like it, but it should have First Strike.

Halls of Diamonds
Looks good.

Hermitage
I *love* this card!

Bonedance Curse
Crazilly flexable...I like it.

Crystalwood Mantle
Looks great!

Talisman of Assertion
People just might use this for card cycling in non-blue decks.....1cc may be too low.

Jurvan Furnacemouth
Ok.

Skyfire Dragon
Looks great.

Ivory Walls
Pretty powerful, the activation cost should be 1W.

Dense Canopy
May be too good. Dense Can opy is already a name.

Tenuous Grasp
Interesting, and cool.

Psychic Rift
We might have to make it die the turn after it comes into play, but I like it.

Jurvan Priest
GG.

Tainted Cherub
Cool.

Kinship
Should be 2G with either +3+3 or +3+4.

Fungal Symbiosis
Looks fine.