Subterfuge; Post revision cards

F

FoundationOfRancor

Glacier Runoff
Ideally, I'd like to make this card cost 1U, but Blue really isnt a search-land color. Right now im thinking of making it green, sacing an island, and searching for any land. Ideas?

Evernal Archmage
Cut the counter ability.
Edit the tap-artifact activation cost to 2U and no sac thing.

Birthmark Stone
I think Jake's wrong with this one. It can be 2 mana.
Also, it can be reworded simply to say "Whenever a 1/1 creature comes into play, put a +1/+1 counter on it."

Heretic Evangelist
I agree with Jake to cut the once per turn thing.

White/Blue Banner Paladin
Creatures that have protection from their own color are rare, but Im ok with it. White Paladin should have an activation cost of 1U. Blue should be WW. Lets change the creature type, I dont want to throw another completely new creature type in here.

Aquamarine Banner Paladin
Looks pretty good. Lets change the name just to "Banner Paladin"
And probablly change the creature type.

Tax Gatherer
Looks good.

Emmei House Cat
Jakes right; 2/2.
Also, change it to it being simply a cat, instead of the house cat. Also, edit it so you DONT draw the card, you simply reveal it.

(The changes you talked about sound great. Ignore what I said.)

Unusual Favor
Pretty cool, awesome in a no-creature deck.

Crazed Hob-demon
2/2...and a name change, please.
I *Love* the swamp idea! We should make a cycle of them!

Circle of Confinement
This is a very cool card. I would keep it exactly how it is, but change the cc to 1WW.

Redistribute Resources
Ok.

Snake Hypnosis
3G. Maybe even 4G.
The attack thing should cost WW. Blue doesent even do that.

Varketan Dragon
Looks cool.

Varketa's Visor
What Jake said.

Varketan Bard
Why is this creature blue and what is a barb?

Varketan Bard Beta -Rare
3W
Creature -Bard
All able to block Varketan Bard.
Whenever a creature blocks Varketan Bard, you may pay 1U or 4. If you do, put that creature on top of its owners library.
The song draws from far and wide and lulls all its wayward fans to sleep.
1/3

(I see you made some modifications to this card, they look fine, but I still suggest this version)

Varketan Vandal
Why would black get to destroy a creature? We could make this a pure red card and make no other changes, or we could make it black with the red ability, in which case we would have to change the name and creature type. I suggest mono-red.

Concentration Camps
Im going to re-think this card.

Wilt
Ok, 3B.

Nightmare Hounds
I love everything about this card!

Karma Cloak
Excellent card, I love the name. Im not so sure how fair the red one is, but it seems ok.

Chaos Roulette
Uhhh.....ok.

Varketan Sentinel
Either a cc of 4, or a 4/4.

Varketan Soothsaying
This should defintly cost less. Maybe 1U, though Im pretty sure that this can be pretty balanced at U. Its basically on the same scale as brainstorm.

Varketan Vampire
Yup, 3B should be ok though.

Varketan Sanctuary
Im not sure what the point of the first ability is, but im sure you have your reasons. Anti-LD maybe? I dunno. No matter what its supposed to be for, it isnt that strong of an ability. Therefore I think you should cut the activation cost of the second ability to a simple "Sacrifice Varketan Sanctuary:"
If we do that, we have to attach a "You may only activate this whenever you could play a sorcery" on the second ability so its not better than untamed wilds.

...I hope that made sense.

Great cards guys! Thank you so much for helping out for this set!

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

A bard is a sort of cross between a poet and a singer, who goes around singing ballads (usually that he/she composed) about heroes, monsters, etc.

Varketan Bard combines two cards:
Taunting Elf, a 0/1 for G with All creatures block this if able
Elven Warhounds, 3G for a 2/2 with "If Elven Warhounds is blocked by any creature, put that creature on top of its owner's library."

Now, obviously these abilities are very very powerful in combination with each other, so any creature with both should be horribly overcosted.
However, this is a green ability (coming from two green cards), and yet it should not be mono green, because it just doesn't feel like a mono-green sort of card. It feels blue (and from a flavor perspective, it would make sense that a Bard be blue), so blue it is.
I only made it white because I wanted to abide by the restrictions of no opposing color cards.

Varketan Vandal can be mono red, I suppose, although I don't see why it can't remain with a black ability (what's wrong with that anyway?).

Glacier Runoff: Fine, but why an island? The name would have to be changed if it were a forest sacrificed, but do you have any other good reason for the connection between green and blue without white involved?

Birthmark Stone: I think Jake thought that a creature with power of 1 and toughness of 1 would get the bonus twice. Don't worry, it wouldn't happen that way, so it can cost 2.

BTW, Tax Gatherer would be absolutely evil in Bargain.
I know it probably wouldn't be much better than Scent of Jasmine, but it's still a little too much.

J

Jake74

The original wording on Birthmark Stone implies that it could get +2/+2 if it was a 1/1 to start with... if it's only +1/+1 max, the cc of 2 is ok.

Respond to the others in a bit.

J

Jake74

House cats should be 2/2 and reveal the card.

Nightmare Hounds
YES! A card that actually matters if you have other colors, not one that needs them

Karma Cloak
The red ability should only be /-3... a 3/3 should survive for 3 mana.

Chaos Roulette
What fun!!

Varketan Sentinel
I think it could be a combination of the most common colors...
3/3 for 5 is a bit much.

Varketan Soothsaying
Edited because I'm stupid...

Varketan Vampire
Love the idea! cc of 2BB should be ok. I think all vampires should be double black...

Varketan Sanctuary
What FoR says sounds good but try this:
0: Shuffle target untapped forest you control into its owner's library.
2G, Sacrifice Varketan Sanctuary: Search your library for any two forest cards and put them into play. Then shuffle your library. Play this ability as a sorcery
Makes is cost 4GG for two forests, plus the extra ability...

p.s. I am putting the cards in a spreadsheet. I can cut and paste if this format is followed:
(Rarity)
Name
CC
Type
(P/T)
Ability/Effect
Otherwise I have to hand edit the cards, which takes some time...

F

FoundationOfRancor

Jake, could you put the p/t at the end, and do you have aol aim? If so, my sn is GunslingerCS, id like to talk to you sometime.

J

Jake74

Originally posted by FoundationOfRancor
Jake, could you put the p/t at the end, and do you have aol aim? If so, my sn is GunslingerCS, id like to talk to you sometime.
I sure could, but the ability/effect is big, the p/t cuts it off, that's why I have it there. I have Rarity first because it's easier to insert if it's first... I don't usually use aim, I use yahoo, but I could use whichever is needed...

ps. if the originals had been in that order, it would have taken less than an hour to put them in a spreadsheet, the way it is... it may take a lot longer.. some of them don't line up right.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Because I can't edit posts for some reason, and to make things easier for Jake74, here are all of the cards I submitted to this thread in the format he just requested:

(We can insert/reinsert flavor text later, right?)

Rare/Uncommon
Varketan Dragon
3WUU
Flying, protection from red
3/4
1WU: All creatures are target color until end of turn.

Rare
Varketa's Visor
Legendary Artifact
N/A
5, Tap: All permanents become target color until end of turn.
2: Target spell or permanent becomes target color until end of turn.

Rare
Varketan Bard (How about this version?)
4W
Creature - Bard
0/3
Creatures block Varketan Bard if able.
2GU: When a creature is assigned to block Varketan Bard this turn, put it on top of its owner's library.
(This removes it from combat.)

Common
Varketan Vandal
1R
Creature - Vandal
2/1
1R: Destroy target artifact creature.

Common
Nightmare Hounds
2BB
Creature - Dogs
3/2
First strike
If you control a red creature, Nightmare Hounds has haste.
If you control a blue creature, Nightmare Hounds has flying.

Uncommon/Common
Karma Cloak
1WW
Enchant Creature
N/A
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1.
If enchanted creature is white, attacking does not cause it to tap.
If enchanted creature is blue, it has flying.
If enchanted creature is black, it gets -3/-3.
If enchanted creature is red, it can't block and it gets +1/-3.
If enchanted creature is green, it gets +1/+1.

Rare
Chaos Roulette
BR
Sorcery
N/A
Each player reveals the top card of his or her library. If any two revealed cards share a
color, destroy all creatures of that color.

Uncommon
Varketan Sentinel
Creature - Guard
4/4
Varketan Sentinel is the most common color among permanents.
If there is a tie for most common, Varketan Sentinel is each of the colors tied for most common.

Common
Varketan Soothsaying
1UU (A compromise - it shouldn't cost just 1U, but it's still too expensive at 2UU.)
Sorcery
N/A
Reveal the top two cards of your library. If they share a color, reveal the next card of your
library. Keep revealing cards until the last revealed card and the second last revealed card
don't share a color. Then put these cards back on top of your library in any order.

Rare/Uncommon (probably rare)
Varketan Vampire
2BB
Creature - Vampire
2/1
BB, Tap: Destroy target white or green creature with power less than Varketan Vampire's power. Put a +1/+1 counter on Varketan Vampire.

Common
Varketan Sanctuary
1G
Enchantment
N/A
0: Shuffle target untapped forest you control into its owner's library.
G, Sacrifice Varketan Sanctuary: Search your library for a forest card and put it into
play. Then shuffle your library. Play this ability only when you could play a sorcery.

I like this version of Varketan Sanctuary because it's really uncomplicated, which makes it fit in with this whole idea I had when I made the card of a calm, solitary spot in the woods somewhere.

The "N/A"s refer to cards that don't have power or toughness.

Chaos Roulette is best in multiplayer. In fact, it might be too powerful in multiplayer, but because it isn't all that great in a duel, we don't have to care. :D

J

Jake74

The Bard looks ok... it may be too strong. Currently all creatures that block go to the library...

I can edit the cards and add anything to them very easily when they are in a spreadsheet... if you look at the black and green, that is what they look like after I had them in the spreadsheet... easy to sort by type, rarity, alpha, etc...

It isn't that difficult to edit the cards once they are complied, so I will go and start on the other colors... I won't repost them like I did the green/black because there is no need to have the cards listed twice in the same post...
I can send the list to the original poster if they'd like...

... Sanctuary
so the main point of this is to save forests??? one forest for 1GG seems rough...

... Soothsayer
anything I said about this card before is stupid... I read it wrong. :)

ps. Are the cards at the beginning of this post in the compilations??? I don't want to double up...

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Jake74: No. You see, I have a problem in that I am arrogant, and occasionally this is coupled with the fact that I am stupid, with disastrous results.

I only took my cards from above in the thread, and even then I forgot one, that card No Contradictions. However, that card was only made when I was pissed off at my world studies teacher, so you can cut it and I won't care.

However, all cards that I have made so far on this thread that I seriously expect to include in the set are in my previous post.

If you want, you could slightly raise the cost of the Bard or its ability, or you could make Varketan Sanctuary cost G. I wouldn't mind much either way.

J

Jake74

I meant the cards that FoR posted... are they in the color posts? They were on the old list, but no one talked about them... guess it doesn't matter much though... I can always cut exact doubles...

F

FoundationOfRancor

All the versions in Thallid Ice Cream Man's second to last post from this seem excellent to me.

...Except for Chaos Roulette.

I hate that card.

F

FoundationOfRancor

King Darkbane -Rare
1W
Creature -King
T: Destroy target Goblin or Zombie.
1: Creatures cannot regenerate this turn.
1/1

Camoflauged Archer -Common
2G
Creature -Archer
Camoflauged Archer can block creatures with flying.
Protection from creatures with flying.
2/2

Raging Roc -Uncommon
3R
Creature -Roc
Flying.
If any player controls 4 lands or less, Raging Roc gains first strike.
3/2

Pillaging Pirates -Uncommon
4U
Creature -Pirates
Islandwalk
Skip your next draw phase: Pillaging Pirates get +2+2 untill end of turn. You may only play this abiity once per turn.
4/4

Re-enforce -Common
G
Instant
Target spell cannot be countered.

Pegasus Lookout -Common
2W
Creature -Pegasus
Flying
Sacrifice Pegasus Lookout: All white creatures get +1+1 and protection from creatures with Haste and/or trample until end of turn.
2/1

F

FoundationOfRancor

Opal Amulet -Common
Artifact
3,Tap, Remove Opal Amulet from the game: Remove target Enchantment or artifact from the game.

Lust Tapper -Rare
Artifact
4, Tap: Target creature gets +5/-5. If this would reduce a creatures toughness to less than 1, it reduces it to one instead.

Harbinger of Dead -Uncommon
3BB
Creature -Zombie?
When Harbinger of Dead leaves play, you may put target creature card from an opponent’s graveyard into play under your control.
2/1

Resourcefulness -Rare
2B
Enchantment
6: Draw cards equal to target creatures casting cost. You may only play this ability if target creature was put into a graveyard this turn.

Reject Sin -RARE RARE RARE
W
Enchantment
Players cannot lose life.

[This should never be printed. Ever. Ever. -FoR]

Needle Armor -Common
2G
Enchant Creature
Needle Armor cannot be the target of blue spells or abilties.
Play only on a non-black, non-blue creature.
Enchanted Creature gains +2+2, and protection from Black.

Leaping Mantis -Common
G
Creature -Mantis
If Leaping Mantis attacks or blocks, defending player may pay 2 to have it deal no combat damage this turn.
2/2

Act of Renewal -Uncommon
G
Enchantment
When Act of Renewal leaves play, you may return an Enchantment card from your graveyard to your hand.
2G, Sacrifice Act of Renewal: Gain 5 life

F

FoundationOfRancor

Metal Cramp -Common
B
Enchant Artifact
All activation costs for Enchanted Artifact cost another R or U to activate.

Illusionary Wyvern -Rare
3U
Creature -Drake
Flying.
Tap, 3U: Destroy target green permanent
2/2

Shield of the Dead -Uncommon
1B
Creature -Wall
(Walls cannot attack)
As long as Shield of the Dead is not blocking, artifacts you control cant be the target of spells or abilties.
0/2

Mountain Rescuers -Common
4W
Creature -Rebel
Protection from Red.
You may play Mountain Rescuers for 1W if a land you control was destroyed this turn.
3/3

Desperate Barriers -Rare
1WWW
Creature -Wall
(Walls cannot attack)
Whenever you are dealt damage, put a +1+1 counter on Desperate Barriers for each one damage dealt.
0/1

J

Jake74

King Something or Other -Rare
I'd make this creature - Knight Legend.
Darkbane, King of Light

Blah Blah Blah
add that it can block flying and it's a great card.
Camoflauged/Hidden Archer

Raging Roc
Change it to: if any player controls less than 4 lands...

Pillaging Pirates
Looks ok.

Re-enforce
Looks good. add: ~this~ can't be countered.
I thought of something like this, mine was cc GR and added draw a card...

Pegasus Lookout
looks ok, but the trample part doesn't do much. It keeps them alive but most of the trample still gets through.

Amulet
Expensive, even for colorless disenchant. maybe cc 3 and ac 2?

Blah blah
looks ok... call it the "Flow Stone" :)

Fear Harbinger
oooo, built in ashen powder. I like :p

Resourcefulness
looks ok, maybe overcosted...

Reject Sin
talk about annoying!! great in a millstone or celestial convergence deck. would need a higher casting cost.

Needle Armor
nice. looks like we're getting lots of enemy hate in this set.

Mantis
it'd have to be colorless mana or it's too strong. maybe even 2

Some stupid Name
Circle of Life... looks ok

Metal Cramp
looks ok, the color restriction may be too severe...

Blah Wyvern
Illusionary/Aquatic Wyvern

Blah
looks ok... Shield of Dead?

Avalanche Blahers
Free is steep, maybe only 1W? Think of the Armageddon possibilities...
Mountain Rescue

Desperate Barriers
would be ok at 1WW.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Some feedback:)

Re-enforce
I think this should be counterable. Remeber, if they counter it, they waste the counter they had planned for you.

Amulet
CC:3, AC:3

Resourcefulness
You really think this is overcosted?
How about a CC of 2B, and an activation cost of 6.

Reject Sin
Well, my plan was too combo this with Worship. Worship stops damage, this would stop Life Loss.
How can I word it so player cannot lose life by taking life loss?

Mantis
The ac should be 2 then.

Some stupid Name
Circle of Life's been taken.
"Wheel of Renewal" ?

Avalanche Blahers
Good call, 1W it is.

Desperate Barriers
Are you sure it would be ok at 1WW? This is a very strong ability.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Idea about Reject Sin...

How about if we make it so no players can actually lose life from life loss or damamge, but make it situational and expensive.
Something like:

Reject Sin Beta
5W
Enchantment
If you control at least one artifact, players cannot lose life.

I still like my original idea better, but I cant possbily think of a way to word it.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Well, we have to word it carefully, so that it isn't the best card ever printed for Bargain...

Make that part say "Players can not lose life from a source they do not control."

J

Jake74

Reject Sin
looks ok as it is... Bargain is life payment, not loss... so:
All damage dealt to players is reduced to 0. Players cannot lose life.

Desperate Barrier
You have to take damage for the wall to get bigger... after 4 or 5 you better start blocking with it... 1WW and 5 life for a 5/6 is fine.

(I know FoR is only an occasional visitor for now, but...)