RPG: Horror on the Hill

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Spiderman, Jan 22, 2002.

  1. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

    The oldest fishermen snorts, "Ye gads, ya landlubber, just look at the river. You can see it's as calm as can be."

    One of the younger breaks in, "Now, now, Clem, just because you "know" the river doesn't mean anyone else does. Besides, it IS a mile wide or so."

    Turning to you, he says, "Yes, the river is pretty calm and easy to cross. All you really have to do is row or paddle across. That's why it's usually good for fishing - no rapids or nuthin'."
  2. Istanbul Sucker MCs call me sire.

    The cleric shakes his head slowly. "So, 40 gold...more money than you have ever made from *five* fishing trips, to be sure, for no more work than taking us across the river and back...for a round trip, or 70 to own the boat. You truly have no desire to retain possession of your boat, do you?"

    He shrugs diffidently, then. "It seems that the fishermen are eager to sell their boat. Let us pay them and be on our way, once we have inspected the vessel."
  3. rkoelsch Angel Boy

    "That is fine" I put in whatever money I have.
  4. Zero T Katama Silver Shadow Guardian

    "Yes, I agree."

    I put in what money I have.
  5. Bob Idiot

    Bob nods and hands over his GP.
  6. Prince RXI CPA Moon-Boy

    RXI says nothing, just hands over his share of the money needed... basically all of it.
  7. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

    The party pools their money and hands over the 70 GP, leaving them with 7 GP left. The fishermen chortle and rub their hands, but are very courteous.

    Clem (the oldest) says, "Well, we thankee fellers very much. This ought to provide for our families for a while until dem fish start biting again. Now, you can have 'ol Wallabee, she's the best craft on these waters. I jest finished putting new logs on her and scraping all that mold and fungus off of her. She's in tip-top shape and ready to go."

    He leads you down a couple of moors until you come to what is easily the biggest boat on the docks, although that's not saying much. It looks like a giant raft with half of it covered by a lean-to, but easily could shelter the party. Four giant poles are at the corners.

    "All ya gotta do is pole out to the other side. As we said before, there ain't no rapids so you shouldn't have a problem. But just in case, a couple of spare poles are in the lean-to."

    With that, he leaves you to rejoin the others and you all board the craft. Taking turns, you set out across the river.

    After about an hour, you near the west bank of the river (you were traveling westward). You see two clearings on the shore at the base of The Hill that would make landing very easy, but really, you could choose to land at any point on the bank despite the heavy underbrush.
  8. Prince RXI CPA Moon-Boy

    OOC: a little of a rip off of Castaway don't you think? :D

    IC: I look out at the shore, wondering what will be now that we have reached the hill. Because I am of a lower strength than the others I have let others 'pole' us across. I sit in the middle of the raft and meditate, praying to Obid-Hai for protection for all of us that have set out on this quest.

    To the others-
    "What say each of you... what for this party now? I personally think that the inside of the hill will be dark and I think we do not have the right supplies: we could use more touches and rations."
  9. rkoelsch Angel Boy

    " I prefer to land in a clearing, then try and hide this craft in the underbrush. We will have to make do with the supplies on hand."
  10. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

    *** Well, these are pretty simple folk, ya know... ;) ***

    In case it wasn't clear, there's a north clearing and a south clearing :)
  11. Daggertooth The Rune Master

    I say the clearing farthest upstream. So I suppose north.

    I knoch my bow as we get close to the other side, keeping my eye out for anything that could pose a danger. Though I'm a bit relaxed cause I don't expect to see anything.

    "The rivers not that hard to cross, I'd suspect that if there was anything bad over there it would have crossed at least once before."
  12. Zero T Katama Silver Shadow Guardian

    "I agree with the north clearing"

    I stand, also nocking my shortbow, keeping an eye out
  13. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

    With the unspoken assent by the rest of party members, you make for the north clearing. As you get closer you can hear a great roar, the cause of which becomes quite evident as a 15 foot high waterfall comes into view. You have no problems beaching the raft.

    The clearing is roughly an rectangular shape that is perhaps 600 feet east-west and 1200 feet north-south. Two trails exit the clearing, one to the north and one to the west. There is only room to walk single file comfortably; you can do double file but it will halve your movement rate (currently 60' a turn). The clearing itself is a pleasant expanse of grass and flowers that surround the waterfall. The water looks cool and refreshing; the entire scene is lovely.

    The general surface of The Hill is a vast forest of trees, mostly oak and hickory types. Dense and thorny underbrush will make your travel difficult if you chose to go off the trails; movement will be slowed to 1/4 your rate. The trees are generally between 60 to 80 feet high.
  14. Daggertooth The Rune Master

    "It would be best if we were to secure this area imediatly. Just incase we need to make a hasty retreat. I'll scout the perimeter of the clearing, for tracks and whatknot."

    I head north, bow knotched and ready, and look for any signs of life.
  15. Zero T Katama Silver Shadow Guardian

    "Aye, tis a good Idea. I'll scout west"

    I head west, scouting, my bow out and I using my detect evil ability as I go
  16. Prince RXI CPA Moon-Boy

    Saying nothing, I silenty pull the boat out of the water, as to make sure it doesn't get lost.

    After I am finished doing this, I wipe the sweat of my brow, and turn to Aniya the Wolf.

    To Aniya-
    "What do you think, Aniya? Smell anything bad?"
  17. Istanbul Sucker MCs call me sire.

    Lathos heads northwest, splitting the difference between the other two explorers, so that neither is far from help should they run afoul of some kind of problem.
  18. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

    There are no tracks or whatnot :) anywhere in the clearing; it looks pretty much undisturbed. Nychus finds that the north trail actually is pretty much a northwest trail 'cause that's the direction it seems to take. Zero finds that the west trail drifts southwest. Aniya doesn't smell anything bad.
  19. Zero T Katama Silver Shadow Guardian

    (The name is Arek in this game, Spidey)
  20. Zero T Katama Silver Shadow Guardian

    I return to the clearing to the rest of the group

    "There appears to be nothing harmful around us to the west, which way should we go?

Share This Page