RPG: Horror on the Hill

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
At the docks, despite what the barkeeper said, you only see three fisherman lounging around. They glance at you as you approach but go back to their conversation.

"Have you tried the pool to the north yet?"

"Yeah, but no luck. Stayed there for 6 hours and not one nibble."

"My family needs some food soon. The prices at ol' Winton's Trading Post are crazy! Have you seen how much he's charging for a side of ham?"

Z

Zero T Katama

I am following after Roland to the docks. Seeing and hearing the fishermens' conversation, I raise a hand in greeting

"Good day, sirs. I could not help but overhear your conversation. What seems to be the trouble?"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Ach, it's just a poor time of the year to be fishing. Nothing seems to be biting." He shrugs. "We just make do with what we got."

"So what can we do for you, sonny?"

Z

Zero T Katama

I nod, gesturing to the boats and river in general

"I and fellow members of my party, of which he" I gesture to Roland " is one, seek to rent passage across the river that we may combat the monsters rumored to be on the Hill."

I

Istanbul

The cleric makes his way towards the fishing docks, quill and pen in tow; he could not afford a lantern as well. Upon his arrival, he addresses the fishermen. "As well as payment, we can offer our protection for the part of the voyage during which we will be riding on your vessel. Your travels will never have been safer."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The fishermen guffaw, look at each other, and then back at you guys (more at the elven cleric).

"Protection? Against what? The one or two river trout that's still left? Some angry crawdaddy? The river's only a mile long; the trip'll take 30 minutes, tops."

Turning to Arek, the oldest says, "Well, I can ferry you over for, let's say, 30 gp, but I ain't staying waiting around for you. I'll be coming right back to this side. Ain't no way we be renting boats to you; the last couple of groups didn't even come back and we couldn't find the boats they left, dem landlubbers (can't even moor boats right). But we be willing to sell you a boat for... "looks back at the others, "80 gp. That oughta cover the expenses of getting a new one."

R

rkoelsch

To Arek," My feeling is that we should rent instead of buy, we might find another way back"
to Istanbul, " Good sir, might we have your name, it will make it easier when I shout Hey'insert name here' it's behind you!!"

P

Prince RXI

RXI walks in just in time to hear the one known as "Roland Dodo" say "Hey 'Insert name here', it's behind you!"

"What? Whats behind who? Bah... We do not have time for this. You there, honored fisherman, many I please ask you what it would cost to rent, barrow, or buy this fine fishing vessel? My group and I must make haste to The Hill and this vessel of yours seems to be the best and most sturdy one. If you truely want to know the reason that we seek to go to The Hill, all I know is that it is a quest and, I speak for myself here, I must destroy the evil that lays there to help maintain the balance... Maybe this evil is what is making fishing a difficult process. If that may be the case then, by helping us, you may help this village."

At this point I pull the hood off my head. Right away everyone sees that I have a faint scar running across my right eye that is shaped like a tree, and another faint scar running to the right of the tree/scar in an almost wolf shape. Last, everyone notices the pointed ears, sharper than usual front teeth, and the elven eyes, chin, and cheeks.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Morglum has also followed everyone down to the docks.

The fishermen look at each other and turn to RXI.

"As I was telling your friend here, it's gonna cost 30 gp to ferry the lot of you over or 80 gp to buy a boat. No renting, as we'll probably never see you again to get the boat back."

Z

Zero T Katama

I glance askance to Roland at his comment, then look back to the rest of the party members there

"I for one think that it would be prudent to pool together to buy a boat, unless there is some way to contact the fishermen to come back. We would not want to be stranded across so wide a river, particualarly if we need to retreat."

I look back to the fishermen "Is there anyway we could signal you to come back across the river if we paid for the second journey in advance?

P

Prince RXI

"What say the rest of you? I am for it, even though I do not think anyone here will die... but I may be wrong."

I

Istanbul

The elven cleric nods slowly to the fishermen. "Of course. Nothing that lives across the Shrill has any way to get across the river yet."

"That we know of."

"And I'm sure that all the fish vanishing is just random chance. No new predators, to be sure."

He shakes his head, then turns to his comrades-in-arms. "My name is Lathos. I lack sufficient funding to buy a boat, and I suspect that the others can say the same." (Spidey said we had about 80 GP all together, and I spent some of mine.) "I recommend that we look into paying for a ride both there and back. Although..."

The elven cleric eyes the fishermen. "For a voyage fraught with such a lack of danger, as well as taking very little time, 30 gold is a truly massive price. By that logic, for the price of three rides, we could own the boat and have gold left over. My suggestion is thus: We pay you 5 gold for the ride there. Should you return to pick us up, there will be 15 gold paid before the return voyage. What say you?"

(BTW, did we lose about half our party? rkoelsch, Prince RXI, Zero T Katama, and myself seem to be the only ones checking in.)

D

Daggertooth

**well excuse me for lounging around in the Bar. :p **

"Prince, death is not something to be predicted. Though it may happen at any time. Best be on your guard, when there are such wild stories you can bet that something is really going on over there."

I yawn a bit and relax my feet on the table while reclining my chair.

"Either way this should be fun. And I do have a score to settle with a Dragon. Not to mention a debt I need to pay to various magic users."

B

Bob

OOC: I'm sick so I've been out for a while.

IC:
Bob looks at the other adventurers and shrugs his shoulders.
"If you wish, I will accompany you on this journey."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The graybeard answers Arek, "Well, I know one of the other parties said they'd send a smoke signal so we'd know when to go get 'em, but since it never came, we figgered they ain't coming back.

Turning to the elven cleric, he says, "Ah, but you forget the price includes our time for traveling out there and back. And who knows what's over there on The Hill? Consider some of it 'hazardous pay'.

"But tell you what, since there's so many of you, we'll give you a 'group rate'. 20 gp to ferry you across, one way, or 70 gp to buy the boat."

R

rkoelsch

"I have no experience in boating, so I will go along with the rest of the party. My thinking is that we would do better during transit with poeple that know something about boats."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
One of the younger fisherman look askance at the eldest.

"Don't pay 'ol Clem any mind; he said it takes a half hour but it really takes an hour. He just ain't gone o'er there recently."

The third fishermen chortles, "Yeah, like in 40 years!"

Z

Zero T Katama

I nod, thinking.

"I say we buy a boat. If we were in need of escape, an hour might be too long to wait. Is it fairly easy to sail across?