RPG: Horror on the Hill

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, first some rules. :) I'm not sure how attached you guys are to your characters, seeing how they're first level. But I'll do my best to see that they survive. But there's always that random factor... Also, I would appreciate it if you tell me beforehand that you will not be able to be on and post for an extended amount of time (like a week). If you don't tell me this, your character is probably going to find a nice home 6 feet under (heroically) since it will make it easier on me not to keep track of "loose" characters.

Not posting for a few days within the week is fine, but I'm going to assume the character will be "playing it safe", like not take chances or be on defense during combat. Unless you give a me a "script" of behaviors your character should act upon, should you have an unexpected absence.

Isty brought up a suggestion: A la 3rd rules, clerics will have the chance to sub a Cure spell for another spell of equal or greater level on the fly. But since I'm going by Basic D&D rules, the spell list is limited so you'll have to keep track of what spells are what level. So if you need it resent, let me know.

Okay, that's all I can think of. Anymore and I'll let you know.

Oh, anyone can join. Just PM me.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guido's Fort.

The end of the traders' road.

Perched on the banks of the might River Shrill, this isolated frontier settlement is the last stop on the caravan route. The mile-wide river is all that separates the Fort from the shadowy bulk known only as "The Hill", a land of nameless terrors and ancient legends.

The fog-shrouded crests and densely wooded slopes of The Hill rise 400 feet, looming ominously over the tiny settlement. On clear days, The Hill's rocky cliffs can be seen jutting from its bulky mass, but the view is usually obscured by gouts of steam that seem to rise from outlets on The Hill itself.

This mysterious mountain has long been rumored to shelter bands of vicious monsters. Only the awesome water of the Shrill have prevented the monsters from invading the undergarrisoned fort. Several groups of brave and hardy adventurers have crossed the river to explore The Hill's summits and face the wicked monsters, but none of these bands was ever heard from again.

Thus it is that you have met at the Lion's Den Inn, a group of like-minded adventurers (and the only ones left in the area) to try your luck. Seated at the table is a human wearing a clerical robe with the glint of armor underneath, a human wearing studeed leather armor, a human with a robe, an elf with hide armor, a human with chain armor, a human with scale armor, and a dwarf with chain. You have gathered to begin preparations to explore The Hill.

R

rkoelsch

"Hello fellow adventurers, my name is Roland Dodo. I have recently finished my apprenticeship with the Great wizard Aldahar. I wished to be as far from books as I could for a time and my legs brought me here. It is my understanding that a group is going across the river and I would like to offer my services."

You see before you a smallish human about 5'6". Thin with long black hair held in a single braid and a black goatee. He is wearing sky blue tunic and breeches and a dark blue cloak. His right hand holds a quarterstaff and he has a traveling bag slung over his left shoulder

** also disable any signatures as the threads tend to get long on their own

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
** I thought that was understood since most everyone has played in Rando's RPGs, but please disable sigs **

P

Prince RXI

"... My name... Is RXI. I am from the forest to the north-west. We Druids call it Korestaloc *Is druidic for: Dreams here come back. But no one but a druid understands it*. This wolf, is my friend Aniya... please treat her kindly. Whatever this meeting is for, I do not care. I am here to help, that is all you need to know."

When looking at RXI, you see an Elf with flowing silver hair coming down to his waist. Not everyone can see it, but he has cleverly hidden his scimitar inside of his silverish-blue cloak. As he talks, he seems to be rolling somthing in his hand. On a closer look, you see that they are sling bullets and can guess that he has a sling on him too. From his demenor, ALL can guess that he doesn't feel like hurting someone, but he will if he has to.

"Barkeep. Can I please have a mug of Maple."

I

Istanbul

As the doors to the tavern open once more, a being slowly enters the establishment, his stride calm and relaxed. He makes his way over to one of the tables and pulls back the hood of what are obviously clerical robes, revealing fine, male elven features. Subtle wrinkles developing in his face suggest at a being that has seen enough of this world to call himself an adventurer, at a sort of worldliness that comes only with experience. A simple nod to one of the bar wenches summons forth a mug of ale, which he pays for with a silver piece. As the wench leaves his company, the elven gentleman simply sits, drinks, and...waits.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
** You guys taking some liberties here, eh? No no, everyone is already seated at the same table and have already agreed to band together to explore The Hill **

The Lion's Den Inn is rather quiet for this time of the day (late morning). Only four other "villagers" (fort-dwellers? Regular inhabitants) are in the large common room with you. Two are together at a table and the other two are by themselves at the bar. The room is full of benches and tables and ha a large fireplace in the center of room, making it smoky and dimly lit.

"Greetings," the dwarf says. "I am Morglum. Is there anything else we need to do to prepare before setting out? I have heard from the barkeep that a fire-breathing dragon lives in the caves below The Hill. While I find this laughable as no one else has seen this "dragon", still, we must be wary."

D

Daggertooth

"m'names Nychus Spellcaster. Im a hunter turned adventurer from the small town of Habbendale. I woke up from some strange Curse a few months ago, since then I've been workin as a mercenary till I heard about this group."

Nychus is a 6ft human that is reletivly thin. His hair is cut short and is hidden by a worn lether hat. His studded leather armor is worn from battle and has visible marks, but is obviously still worthy of use. He has 2 short swords straped to his belt, one on each side, and a long bow knealing next to a full pack.

R

Rando

An old man, disheveled and unkempt turns slowly away from the bar and faces the adventureing band. He seems to be of about 60 years, but his weathered face has the apearence of a corpse long dead. His white beared is stained yellow, and his grease smeared skin is pocked with boils and scars, an especially large wound being partially hidden beneath a black eye-patch.

He regards you all with his good eye and throws back the back-wash of his ale in one toss.

Slamming the mug on the bar behind him and adjusting his eye-patch with his other hand, he awkwardly slouches to his feet and begins a slow shuffle over to where you all are seated, all the while shaking a stub of a finger in your general direction. His one buged out eye going from each of your faces to the next and back again, he speaks...

"Fools! Fools one and fools all! Know ye not the horrors that await ye upon that cursed hill? Know ye not the grisley death and torment ye will face? There be ghouls upon that hill, and far worse things haunt it beside! Why, the foulness and the evilness of even just the thought of ever setting foot in that unholy place again makes me wet my already soiled trousers. Were I still young but knew what I now know, I would thrash anyone so stupid as to think of going there just to save thier sorry lives! There be spirits there who will rend your soul in twain...and ghosts prowl the slopes in the black of night. I know the danger! I know the peril! How do ye think that I...lost...THIS!"

With that, he lifts his eye-patch to reveal the empty socket underneath and the scar tissue that only half covers it.

"Fools! Oh, the gods have mercy on the folly of the young!"

Muttering to himself, the old man shuffles out of the bar and onto the street...

Z

Zero T Katama

"Hail, fellow travelers. My name is Arek Weylith. I am paladin of Heironeous, god of Valor, for those who may not heard of him. I hail from the village of Durlek, east of here. I came this way with the tales of evil and vicious monsters on this hill, that I may help eridiacate or at the least beat them back."

Arek, as you watch him, seems young, but tall and and strong, though not as limber. His looks reflect his age, black hair cut short, and hazel eyes looking out upon the world with quiet observation, charming and attractive to those who would find it so. Yet there is something other than his looks about him, a mein of confidence, wisdom, and courage. Upon his scale armor is blazoned the symbol of his god, a fist clutching a lightningbolt. Strapped to his side is his longsword, and his pack, shortbow and quiver, and large wooden shield lie beside him, close under watch.*

P

Prince RXI

Under Breath "That man at the counter... I seem to remember someone that looked exactly like him... And that Paladin... Arek Wyvern or somthing... He too looks familliar... What is going on?"

The Barkeep delivers the Mug of Maple Sap.

To Aniya: "That barkeep seems to have a queer look in his eyes, almost like hatred aimed at me particularly, yet also it seems as though he is hoping for not just me... but everyone here to return from this quest. I think I will deal with him soon... but in the mean time..."

RXI picks up the Maple Sap and takes a sip of the thick, sticky, warm amber flavor of Maple Sap that he likes so much.

D

Daggertooth

I gaze after the old man curiously. "If you will parden me, I will return shortly." I say to the adventurers.

I get up and head over to the bartender. "Sir, Who was that old man?"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
" Ach, pay 'im no mind. He's just a crazy old man who made the mistake of going to The Hill alone in his youth. Came back all unhinged, claiming there were witches and ghouls and who knows what else there. Claimed he just barely escaped from being eaten alive. 'Course, he was slightly unhinged even before he went, this just made it worse."

Lowering his voice to a whisper, "I tell you though, things probably aren't right over there. Many centuries ago, an old monastary was supposed to be located on top of The Hill, but no one in living memory ever remembers any monks or such coming down. Either they left or something happened to 'em, 'cause you'd figger they'd come down once in a while."

With that, he goes back to polishing the bar.

Morglum speaks, "All righty, we now know each other. We ready to go? Who's got a boat for getting across the river?"

Z

Zero T Katama

I turn to Morglum

"Morglum, yes? I myself do not have one, but it surely would be easy to find a boat to rent if we pooled our funds."

*Do we have a starting amount of money?*

I

Istanbul

The elf in clerical robes slowly rises to his feet. "If what lies across the Shrill is truly some manner of maleficient force, we should seek to eradicate it. It is only a matter of time before it discovers some way to cross the waters of the river and lay siege to this town."

Without waiting for a reply, he calmly strides over to the bartender, and says, "Barkeep. From whom should we rent a boat to cross the river, and do you know what price they usually charge? Alternatively, is there a ferry to cross the river?"

That's your cue, Spidey.

B

Bob

A middle-aged man sits at a far table, listening to the conversation of the strange travellers, but staying quiet. He stood up, leaning on his quarterstaff as he walks slowly toawrds the counter. His hair is dark and wild from wearing his metal helmet. Around his waist is a leather belt with a large white mace hanging off the belt. His long white robes are decorated with strange runes, and small pictures of the sun. He has a golden symbol of a sun around his neck.

"What is this about witches and ghouls now?"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
** You guys are fairly poor and just starting out to make a name for yourself, so among all of you you have about 80 gold. **

The bartender waves a dismissingly hand at Bob. "Bah, witches and ghouls, pure nonsense. Any sensible person knows that if they existed on The Hill, someone should have seen something by now.

I don't know about ferries or buying boats, but you can ask along the docks. I DO know that most of our fishermen here haven't been having much luck on the river, so you should be able to find someone willing to take you across :) "

Z

Zero T Katama

I nod, looking around to all assembled.

"That sounds like the best course of action then. Does anyone have any other suggestions before we depart for the docks?

I

Istanbul

The elven cleric nods slowly. "A stop to the general store would be in order." he says. "A quill, ink, and paper so that we can map the path of our travels would be most useful; I know that I have no desire to be lost in the wilderness, wounded and defenseless. I further recommend some flint so that we can make a fire if need be, as well as basic rations. Lanterns would also be welcome, as only the gods know what manner of creatures prowl at night." He folds his arms calmly, awaiting the reactions of the others.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
***You guys do have the basic backpack, bedroll, 12 torches per player, flint/steel, and 3 days basic travel rations **

As the rest of the players sit stupified, the elven cleric rises and leaves the inn for the trading post. A burly man in a an apron is busy with a customer, but their business is quickly concluded and he turns to the cleric. Upon hearing the requests, he furrows his brow.

"Hmmm... I do have some quills, ink, paper, and lanterns, but a caravan hasn't come yet and I'm out of basic food supplies. The fishermen are buying the bulk of it for some reason. The writing stuff will be 3 gp and the lanterns 20 gp."