Ravnica Previews

M

Mr_Pestilence

My early pick for best card in the set is...

Flame Fusillade!

With Green's ability to put extra land into play and generate tokens, I see this as a cheap way of clearing the board of annoying critters. Protection would be practically useless, since the permanents such as land and artifacts would be colorless sources.

BTW, Hunted Dragon sux...

J

jorael

Mr_Pestilence said:

BTW, Hunted Dragon sux...
Not with some pollitics, or in 5 player collapse (one player dies, the rest form teams),

But even better than that: brand!

N

Nightstalkers

Spidey... please tell me those seeds of strength were made that way to fight off Stifle or something... because that is... well... why not just say "Target creature gains +3/+3 until end of turn"?

Helldozer looks like a better version of Demonic Hordes.

Eye of the Storm = funny

Scion of the Wild = Wasn't there a red card like this printed way back when in 4th?

Autochthon Wurm = I think that Dragon Arch just got a buddy.

Clutch of the Undercity = nasty little gift for Mr. Panoptic Mirror to lay down

Dark Heart of the Wood = reprints?!

Dimir Doppelganger = loool, discard that hefty big critter and I'll just... steal it... Muwahaha!

Needless to say, my "Legendary colored dreamcoat" deck just got a helping of non-legends that are going to be funny.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know what it's purpose is, but I guess it's so you can choose to spread the pumps between 1 and three creatures <shrug>

N

Nightstalkers

Spiderman said:
I don't know what it's purpose is, but I guess it's so you can choose to spread the pumps between 1 and three creatures <shrug>
If that's the case... then... it could be worded better. Or they can just... keep this... who cares, someones going to have a ball with this set.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Nightstalkers said:
If that's the case... then... it could be worded better. Or they can just... keep this... who cares, someones going to have a ball with this set.
Yeah, my first thought on that card was that I didn't like the wording. It's still decent though nothing to scream about.

I wasn't going to say anything about this, because I'm not sure whether it would be good or not, but this is the CPA, so I might as well point out a possibly evil card here: Grozoth. The power to grab any number of cards that cost nine mana out of your library and put them into your hand is--breakable. Of course, since it costs nine mana itself, it wouldn't be worth it.

Right now I'm thinking of using it with Sneak Attack. So, I'll pay R to drop Grozoth, then fetch some big creatures. I'll pay RRR and attack you with three Devouring Strossuses (or whatever, I haven't decided yet).

O

orgg

Each occurance of 'target' allows you to chose a different target. It's basically Bounty of the Hunt reprinted without the alternate cost. Actually, it's exactly like that.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Exactly. However, the "targeting" rules changed I think when the Legends rule changed: you don't HAVE to choose separate targets. The same creature can be targetted more than once now.

So like I said above, this gives you the flexibility of spreading out the pumps from 1 to 3 creatures. You don't need three separate targets in order to cast it.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Twisted Justice looks cool. I'm worried that it will be like Spinal Embrace was--fun at first, but too mana-heavy and situational to be used even in casual decks after the initial coolness wears off.

With what I've seen so far, this is my favorite set since Nemesis.

N

Nightstalkers

Gleancrawler certainly looks interesting... but... has anyone noticed a lot of big critters that are worth around 6 mana in this set?

M

Mikeymike

Hybrid cards: an interesting idea. Yeah, they'll be annoying to type, but in their respective color decks they will be extremely easy to cast - provided you aren't playing a lot of "tap this land for colorless mana" lands.

The reason they exist at their current CC's instead of being 1G (etc.) is because they are better cards than their 1G brethren.

Gleancrawler is a good example of strong Hybrid action in, um, er action.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I read about that guy last night and am actually a little hyped up about this set now.

Ransac, cpa trash man

O

orgg

So instead of Protection from Black, it's just a 3/3?

Smells... well, decent. Is it rare or uncommon?

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

This set looks awesome. Loving the Dimir guild. the U/B guys. I already scratched out a decklist for when Ravnica comes out.