Ravnica Previews

O

orgg

The Hybrid seems like it'd be quite interesting, though the previewed card is basically an easy-to-cast grizzly bear, ultimatly.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Not necessarily. For two more mana, you get a Glorious Anthem effect and/or a token generator. Not bad.

N

Nightstalkers

Yeah... do you guys like the new mana cost thing?
(assuming this is the right time to ask that question... again...)

G

Gizmo

It's ugly as hell and I hate it - they only benefit mono-coloured decks as a WG/WG card as not significantly easier to cast than W/1 or a G/1 card unless you're a mono white or mono green deck.

Oh and it makes writing out card casting costs a real pain in the arse. Does a WG casting cost mean a Llanowar Knight or a new Ravnica 1cc monster?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Only slightly better than a multi-colored card. But it does seem to address the "forced synergy" problem a bit........ :eek:
Hopefully some of the others will be more like W/G and 1....... that would make them have a more widespread use and appeal.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think you're gonna have to write out the cc as W/G,W/G from now on and use commas to distinguish each separate casting cost.

N

Nightstalkers

Spiderman said:
I think you're gonna have to write out the cc as W/G,W/G from now on and use commas to distinguish each separate casting cost.
and of course the problem with what color these cards are. I've always been taught that whatever the casting cost you pay for it (other than the colorless) is what color(s) the card is.

Does this mean that every one of these cards are dual colored even though you can cast them for one color only? If so, then I'm going to get a few calls from the newer players I casually play with and explain this out... Unless they add an insert.... I hope they add an insert explaining that (knowing people, they'll never read them anyways)...

Edit:

Circu, Dimir Lobotomist 2UB

Legendary Creature - Human Wizard

Whenever you play a blue spell, remove the top card of target player's library from the game.
Whenever you play a black spell, remove the top card of target player's library from the game.
Your opponents can't play nonland cards with the same name as a card removed from the game with Circu, Dimir Lobotomist.

2/3

More POWER!

—Habuki

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I actually feel the same as Gizmo about this color-splitting thing. It looks ugly and inconvenient to notate (and it reminds me of the Invasion split cards, which I never liked). The card itself actually looks pretty good. So, what color is it anyway? If I cast Persecute naming white, does it get discarded?

Also, that Caryatid is no Wall of Blossoms, but it should still be playable.

D

DÛke

Oversoul:

The card itself actually looks pretty good. So, what color is it anyway? If I cast Persecute naming white, does it get discarded?
Yes, it gets discarded. You can tell what color(s) a card simply by looking at what it takes to cast it from your hand. In the case of the card above, it contains W and R in its mana cost, meaning it is both W and R.

For me personally, I love the new gold card layout. It really gives the card its asethetic distinction while adding a tad bit of practicality for those of us just beginning to play the game.

The one thing that has got me so drooling in this set is the U/B Gild, which contains the Transmute ability. It seems that WotC is trying to hard to make a dominant U/B control deck. Transmute will prove very useful and playable as far as my casual gaming goes. If the environment slows down, which is a far strech now with the inclusion of the Elves, BoP, Sakura Tribe Elder, Kodama's Reach etc - Transmute may prove to be game breaking...

All in all, Ravnica seems to be shaping up like a favorite block of mine, seconded only by the all too flavorful Mercadian Masques (I know MM gets a lot of heat for being slow and boring, but...)...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Indeed. It's both colors. And if you guys are worried about notation, come on. So it's not so easy anymore... some way will pop up and become the standard.

O

orgg

So there's what? Twenty hybrid cards? Possibly a hundred by block's end?

I'm sure we can have a hundred cards that you put (wg) into as the hybrid. Just don't hit '****f' and add parenthesis around 'em. Most hybrid cards will probably be all hybrid-mana with possible colorless... It doesn't seem like that horrible of a thing, unless they have costs like (wg)(gr)(rb)(bu)(uw)(wb)(bg)(gu)(wr)(ru)... and that is possible, I guess... Ten different mana symbols, requiring... hmmm... what would the minimum to cast that be?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if you can use the Orb of Insight to find out how many hybrid cards there are right now... it's not a keyword, so not sure how you'd go about it.

M

mythosx

Although I like the flavor...I don't understand why they aren't making the cards gold. That kind of pisses me off. It should be gold... :mad:

S

sageridder

you can use the orb put it like this .
G/WG/W which comes up with 1.
I don't have a clue about showing the colors but couldn't you just copy the mana symbol and insert it?