Full 8th Edition spoiler!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Do you mean "reminder text"? 'Cause when you say "card text", I think of the little quotes or story bites at the bottom... :confused:

A

Apollo

Spidey: he was sarcastically suggesting that they should remove all of the text on the card except the name because he knows what all of them do anyway.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I thought he was just exasperated by all the reminder text on cards and then when orgg did his little upkeep thing, that was the top of the cake.

M

Mikeymike

but the 8th edition layout is starting to grow on me. Both the Phyrexian Arena and Elfhame Palace look quite nice, both better than the original (as a complete package).

I'm now actually looking forward to seeing the foil black-bordered cards.

T

train

But the art could be good on Black borders...

"The layout is poop....";)

R

Reverend Love

Mikeymike

but the 8th edition layout is starting to grow on me
Anal warts grow on you too but that doesn't mean your to necessarily warm to their presence.

R

Rooser

Layout issues aside, they are doing a MUCH better job than 7th Edition in terms of art and flavor text. Their mission to make new art and flavor text for EVERY CARD in 7th edition turned out to be a disaster. In most cases, both were terrible, or at least markedly worse than the original. The new Phyrexian Arena art is actually better than the original, as is the flavor text, (But as I already have four Apocalypse copies, I think I'll stick with those).

Of course, I'd actually rather they just stopped making core sets after 6th edition. And maybe releasing new sets only once every 6 months would be nice.

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by Reverend Love
Anal warts grow on you too but that doesn't mean your to necessarily warm to their presence.
OK, now that was funny :D. Seriously though, I think I'm finally getting over the shock that there actually is going to be a change (one I felt wasn't necessary), and am realizing that there are some things about the new card I like more.

M

Mikeymike

You know, the inclusion of the Urza Land cycle in here makes me wonder about the artifact quantities in the upcoming sets. They seem completely random given the current environment.

And mad props for Grave Pact, which I missed the first time around. How much better is that card now?

R

Reverend Love

Mikeymike

I can agree with you there on a few things. At first I was victim to the knee jerk reaction of "OOOH THIS SUX, WoTC you bastard guy!” Then I read Rosewater's interview at netdeck.com and realized there are very key valid reasons for change. The expansion of the picture, larger texts and more room for names are great. This types of change can only be healthy for magic. The inclusion on definitions for keyword abilities like trample, flying and first strike in the base sets will also do wonders for the new players. However the layout does leave a LOT to be desired. In fact it's down right astatically unpleasing. The circles around the mana costs give them a elevated, button like appearance. The rounded text box have the look of WinXP.....I mean look at it! There's no denying the resemblance. All their ideas are grand but packaged in a turd...and there's an old saying about turds:

You can't polish a turd
My time collecting has amassed plenty so called “staples”. And while yes there are some very tempting additions to 8th, it’s dreadful layout kills it for me. I don’t need most of these cards so I won’t buy… For the others well I’d rather pay twinkle city games 9 dollars or whatever there charging for a Savannah Lion. Then to give in to WoTC cramming this dreadful layout down my throat.

N

Nightstalkers

does it surprise you that they would keep the same old art? What a pitiful idea! Hire another artist or post the original artwork? artist takes money, while original artwork requires alittle more skill in printshop!