Full 8th Edition spoiler!

N

Notepad

Isty~ Now, now, man. Just because WotC proved they were lying once again is no reason to get mad. They always lie and spout fake PR. Its only a control method, like the Matrix.

...now, can somebody help get these borg tubes out of my back?

Spiedy~ I think Isty's main point is WotC has been spouting this PR junk about the color wheel, then throws it out the window. Its mentioned all the time like the writers at Magicthegathering.com are force-fed the stuff and practically made of it. "Uh, we're figuring out where things go, so uh, nothing blends and overlaps and causes trouble...yeah" but then we see stuff like 8E which proves they are totally ignoring the color wheel.

Troll~ I have the same hope you do, but you know what?: TOUGH LUCK! It'll be rare and none of us who want it will ever get it in a pack...sort of like Coat of Arms.

Ferret

Staff member
In all honesty it looks like all colours are still pretty balanced and are getting some great reprints (there goes the value of my AN Rukh Eggs!) - all colours, except for Green. As usual. They still only have one flier (BoP) and most of their strength revolves around getting overcosted big creatures out....fliers have natural evasion. Large tramplers don't.

Let's look at the other colours:

White: They got some strong fliers and their big walls are back - but, for the most part they're pretty defensive. Sounds normal to me. Reprinting Holy Day was a good idea as it it fits White's flavour better than green. I'd like to see Fog still in print, but I'll get over it. Hooray for Karma! Zombie decks beware!

Blue: You lost Counterspell? Boo hoo. You still have other counters and who plays w/ just the basic sets anyway? For once, we can cast spells w/o feariing those two untapped Islands...

Red: they reprinted Hammer? Great. Now, Red can keep burning you forever. I'm glad Rukh Eggs are back - so, they're a cheap flier for Red? It'll still take two cards to get the token into play unless you use it for blocking.

Black: no more Pestilence! Hooray! Throw a party!Those annoying B/W decks might get toned down. Royal Assassin is back! Always a plus. Now, I can get rid of all those annoying utility creatures...

Lands: Urza lands are back - again. Blah. No duals? Good. No pain lands? Good. I always preferred monocolour decks.

-Ferret

"I want my Scryb Sprites!"

R

Reverend Love

Spiderman

Thanks for deleting the post, I do prefer it here.

As to U;

Setting up a controlled environment through the use of multiple counters and bounce is a consistent winning combination.

Counter-Post
Mono-Blue
Counter-Keeper

While you'd be hard pressed to create a viable counter-control deck in today's type two environment. On the average kitchen table it's not too hard.

4 Force of Will
4 Mana Drain
4 Counterspells
4 Mana Leak

Add in some bounce, apply spicy threats sparingly, mix for consistency and you'll win the lions share of games.

Remember that's the WHOLE reason why the made Autumn Willow back then. Because the creatureless grind decks using blue and white were simply getting completely out of hand.

N

Nightstalkers

Should have originally been posted by train
Lifelace
Purelace
Thoughtlace
Chaoslace
Deathlace

....fanciest toilet paper ever printed.
Always thought that gold plated toilet stuff I bought a couple years back was the fanciest...

R

Reverend Love

Always thought that gold plated toilet stuff I bought a couple years back was the fanciest...
Nope your wrong. Why? Because:

lifelace

It's texture and suppleness are much kinder to the anus....also that gold stuff don't flush to well.

N

Nightstalkers

if your ever caught in the Bush, don't use pinecones... I know from experience :rolleyes:

Attachments

R

Reverend Love

if your ever caught in the Bush, don't use pinecones... I know from experience
What the hell?

Did you fail to recognize the sap oozing from it? Along with all the sharp spines?

Some where in that time while selecting candidates there should have been the "Hmm...maybe this here pine cone which closely resembles a tar smothered nail protruding baseball shouldn't be anywhere near my ass.."

...but hey, sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

N

Nightstalkers

woah my friendly priest, I didn't say that I did it per sei...

94, Boy Scout camp out for troop 101 :D three kids found out the hard way what to use for toilet paper when you "forget" to pack it. Leaves, poison Ivy, then Pine Cones... The third boy was scared of having crap all over his rump so he blazed through assorted tree leaves, and the ivy... The times I wish I had a tape recorder to keep that fond memory of a poor wolf scout screaming in agony in the middle of the night. *snif* *snif* It was so evil! *snif*

We're MAD I tell ye, :mad:!

Attachments

N

Notepad

Wait, Nighstalkers....Wolf is a rank in Cub Scouts, and cubbies are called packs. You clearly said Boy Scout and their group name: Troop.

Dude, quit ripping stuff off from Chris Fatley's --er, Farley's-- biography and then changing some to make it sound legit.

By the way, I think 8E cards will make fancier toilet paper...albeit ugly...(fancy, but f'ugly)

PEACE!

N

Nightstalkers

Its been (Counts on his toes) nie on to eight years since me last experience in the scouts, give me a break if I was kicked out for being a little evil. Ok, holding the meeting in the bar room of the local VFW was a great idea... At least I thought so :rolleyes:

Would anyone here believe that I gots me old scout uniform? I keep it in case I need a great cover for leading a bunch of scouts around. And we called them Wolf Scouts! They wanted to be called boy scouts because they thought Cub Scouts were for sissys.

N

Nightstalkers

One improvement: :confused: Who actually used this card?

One setback: Think about those of us who have tournaments based on the storyline of the sets?

Attachments

E

EricBess

Who used Phyrxian Arena? Are you kidding? I mean, it's no Necropotence, but it saw plenty of play. I daresay much more than the Avatar of Hope did :D

N

Notepad

For some reason, I fear Nightstalkers will be at the 8E prerelease, dressed in his old scout uniform, with a nicely ironed-on Wolf rank badge.

The thought scares me. Maybe I'd better keep away from those events. The sight of Nightstalkers dressed as a scout, and the look of the 8E cards, seems like it'll induce nightmares into everyone who see both in the same room.

Beware, all of ye.

And where the heck are these images coming from? They seem fake, since the mana smbols have circles around them, and Magic Aracana said the symbols in the text boxes would be monochrome with no circles...

......... :eek:

My apologies to Nightstalkers, look like those lying scumbags at WotC have gone and duped yet another person. Sorry to doubt those images ya attached. I should have known anything WotC says is 50% likely to be a lie. Wait, 99.9%...

No circles around mana symbols in the text...heh...

O

orgg

(Your upkeep is after your untap and before your draw.)

ARRGGH! THE PAIN! The Pain! It hurts! It Hurts! It hurts right here!

L

Lotus Mox

Originally posted by orgg
(Your upkeep is after your untap and before your draw.)

ARRGGH! THE PAIN! The Pain! It hurts! It Hurts! It hurts right here!
I guess you'd prefer it if upkeep effects were completely removed from the base set (like in 7th).

I mean why do they even print rules text? I know all the cards by name, what a waste of space :rolleyes:.
They could make the art bigger, and if some random scrub doesn't know what a card means, he can look it up in the Oracle. What's not to like?

T

train

*Smiles... as wide as possible... as he reads the downfall of blue's reign...*

R

Reverend Love

*Smiles... as wide as possible... as he reads the downfall of blue's reign...*
Ooh you’re so right. Two days ago while playing a multiplayer game my pal who’s an adamant red mage whipped out a mono blue deck. I was playing a funky black control that kills creatures by targeting them with -X -X instead of the applying normal damage (think multiple copies of Consumptive Goo, Festering Goblin, Havoc Demon, Phyrexian Plaguelord, etc.). Since he's claims to despise countering I wasn't to worried about seeing ALL my stuff countered...ooh how wrong I was. I won't go into great detail but here's quick snippet:

Me: Play's a bunch of black stuff
Friend: Washout - Black (that's ok...don't mind)
Me: Play's a bunch of black stuff
Friend: Washout - Black (Eeh this kind of stuff happens)
Me: Plays a bunch of black stuff
Friend Washout - Black (Well at least he can't washout forever)
Me: Plays Havoc demon
Friend Counters with Forbid pays buyback
Me: Plays Phyrexian Plaguelord
Friend: Counters with Counterspell
Me: Plays Oversold Cemetery
Friend: Counters with Thwart
Me: Plays Havoc Demon
Friend: Counters with Forbid pays buyback
Me: Plays Phyrexian Plaguelord
Friend: Counters with Thwart
Me: 12 point drain life targeting him
Friend: Counters with Counterspell

This crap continued for the WHOLE game, focusing all his counters on me when there's two other players on the table......needless to say I was pretty hot.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by SeFRo
Spiedy~ I think Isty's main point is WotC has been spouting this PR junk about the color wheel, then throws it out the window. Its mentioned all the time like the writers at Magicthegathering.com are force-fed the stuff and practically made of it. "Uh, we're figuring out where things go, so uh, nothing blends and overlaps and causes trouble...yeah" but then we see stuff like 8E which proves they are totally ignoring the color wheel.
That's not what I was reading. Isty seemed to have totally forgotten that the colors had some of the abilities he was questioning:

"Saccing land is in flavor for blue?"
"Explain to me when black got the venom ability?"

The only time he mentions color wheel is for the Rukh Egg.

Lotus Mox:
I mean why do they even print rules text?
There was an Ask Wizards about that, I'll see if I can find it and link it.