Full 8th Edition spoiler!

B

BigBlue

Nah, they'll skip ATM technology and jump right into "Smart Card" technology, where each card will have a chip and keep track of how well or poorly it was played, then later you can download all that information into your WotC PocketWizard(TM) to determine your DCI rating. Some cards will explicitly drop your rating just for using them (scrub).

Actually, some change is good. I really like the color change for rarity symbols that was implemented.

What I really don't like about the new format is it really takes the antiquity out of the game. The cards had an almost antique look to them, and this new techno look just reminds me of Shadowrun/netrunner/yu-gi-oh/pokemon... It looks like a cheesy Mac desktop.

If they hadn't accentuated the text so much, I think it would be much better, but the bubbles which supercede the artwork giving name/cc and type/expansion/rarity put the artwork in the background to me. Plus they eliminated much of the color "frame" which gave them the more antique feel. This is a game based on Fantasy - which reeks more of antiquity than Mac desktop to me.

And to be fair, it is about time for me to stop buying anyways. I haven't bought any base set cards in years, and I dislkike the new format enough to not bother getting the new limited stuff either. I'm sure my wife won't mind the lack of a few boxes a year which she gets no enjoyment out of.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
To answer your question Reverend, this is the new look starting with 8th and continuing ever after (until another redesign :) )

Interesting thing I saw while pricing cards, on the MOTL website, it says someone at mtgnews cracked the 8th ed Rollout page and that's how the spoiler came to be... WOTC needs to beef up their web pages :)

N

Notepad

Originally posted by Spiderman
To answer your question Reverend, this is the new look starting with 8th and continuing ever after (until another redesign :) )
They will redesign it next set, once they add the Nintendo E-Reader strips to the edges to be totally technological rather than magical.

R

Reverend Love

All the ranting aside I really do question why the public via Magic Teh Gafering wasn't polled. Using the formula already established by "You make the Card" WoTC could have easily "pushed" a new layout onto the public. Displaying possible choices and letting the community decide. Granted there'd be nay sayers...there always will be. However the big difference is that we as a community of Magic players wouldn't get the distinct feeling of being insignificant…at least that's how I feel. It's sad but for every step perceived forward (the stack, rarity displayed on the card, keyword notes all good things) they take 3 steps back (this horrible layout being pressed on us). Even with this I don't think I'll leave magic...however instead of purchasing new sets I'll just stick to buying the old stuff...there's plenty out there.

P.S. Deep inside me I think this decision (for a new layout) was pushed down from on high...maybe from Hasbro. All the while telling the development staff to shut up and sell the idea to the public.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, I now have an e-Reader! They'll still be useful to me! :p

Reverend: If you have the time, you might want to browse WOTC's website and check the article archive. Mark Rosewater and perhaps some others explained the thinking process behind the design change.

Personally, I think it'll work out fine. People who don't like it naturally speak out (as with all things); the ones who support it don't have reason to speak unless in rebuttal so you're normally not going to hear from those folks. And those people don't like change or new things (just like the stack or 6th rules when it first came out) but it'll work out :)

T

train

It may have been a Hasbro thing...

Look at all the other changes WOTC went through because of them...

"Granted there's ultra-financing behind them now..."

R

rkoelsch

I have to say I like the new card face. everything is much more clean. and it seems much brighter. we are not sure if it is a joke but misetings has a picture of a foil Phyrexian Arena.

N

Nightstalkers

I'm afraid if i got ones of those red cards in foil, I'd burn me retina out.

A

Apollo

First of all, my God does the new Sage look awful. Second, I like the art of the new Skull better, but looking at the two cards side by side, which looks more like an ancient artifact you might cast spells with? And which looks like it came from an alien in Star Trek?

...Perhaps Train is right... I'm packing Borg ships in my sideboard...

T

train

Main Deck Apollo! Main deck!...

and when your opponent sits down across from you just lok at them and say:

Resistance is Futile! You will be Assimilated!...

Art - looking okay...
Design - Where's the toilet paper...

R

Reverend Love

You CAN'T block my Borg ship with your sissy air flying....Space Flight...SPACE FLIGHT SUCKER!! ...anyways I'll tap it to activate Phyrexian Lasers and kill off your BoP."
I think I'm actually going to build a MagicXP deck with some old Star Trek cards I've got lying around.

N

Nightstalkers

I'm going Star Wars/Yu-Gi-Oh!/Magic: The Gathering/ Poke'mon/Star Trek...

wow... I might just win the tournament because I know how to play that deck within all the rules. :confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

Attachments

N

Nightstalkers

Promo premium Rukh Egg

To the right is a scan of the promotional premium Rukh Egg that will be given away to players at the upcoming Global Celebration tournaments (which are akin to "prereleases" for Eighth Edition).

This black-bordered card features a silver leaf "10" logo in the lower left corner of the art box and a Magic 10th Anniversary logo behind the card text. It also showcases the new look of premium cards in the updated card frame. It is a real beauty!

Global Celebration tournaments will be held at the GenCon game convention in Indianapolis and at stores all over the world on the weekend of July 26th and 27th. Locations will be available on this site in the next couple days, so stay tuned!
Its a promotional card, a Rukh Egg, and is it one of them biggies? I'm in!

Read it for yourself

Attachments

N

Nightstalkers

Factoid: Arabian Nights almost had different card backs from the base set of cards, but a last minute decision prevented that from happening and shaped the future of Magic expansions for all time.

Code:
10 points to the person who guesses
what that change was... :D :rolleyes:
Oh, its just Rukh Egg again... but you see what it was then, and will be now. All in one beautiful picture :rolleyes:

Attachments

N

Nightstalkers

Here's the alpha machine in all its glory... :eek:

A crappy artwork Savannah Lions. :( great idea guys! NOT.

Code:
Ten points to the first
person to post what the name
of M:TG was going to be...

Attachments

O

orgg

Actually, I kinda like that art compared to the old... but it isn't as distinct.

Code:
Mana Clash.  Duh.