Dissension Previews

E

EricBess

Yeah, this card seems really good in the right deck. I think the scariest thing about it is that it self protects. What, you say you run Disenchant to deal with Artifacts and Enchantments. Well, isn't that nice for you...two birds...

B

BigBlue

Wow.... Now that is a True Swords to Plowshares.... too bad the doves aren't what they should be.... 0/1.... Takes a huge bite out of most decks.... Start seeing some Clloudchaser eagles and elvish.... (shoot which damn elf kills enchantments - I can't recall)...

B

BigBlue

Or..... You could go with Alternate CC stuff - like Force of Will... lose 1 life to make 5 birds... You could play with a Goblin Welder (? the one who swaps artifacts out of your library or gy into play) and Coat.... get a lot of doves - kill your enemies, then overwhelm 'em....

The only thing I don't like about those new CC (where you can use X or Y) is that you can use them in a mono-colored deck when the intent is clearly to mix two colors...

L

Limited

When they first talked about Hybrid mana, they said it was designed so that the card could be considered to be either color.

So Centaur Safeguard (a 3/1 creature which gives you three life when it is put into the graveyard) could have been printed as a white creature but also as a green creature. I think Debtor's Knell is a good example of this..

But this card is just Blue. Countering spells is blue, Birds are white/blue.. this is definitely a multicolor card, not a hybrid one.

In my opinion at least.

N

Nightstalkers

Dovescape huh?

Damn... my humbling humility deck just got freaking scary.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
They can be. I personally don't look at them as hybrid, as I'd more than likely place these cards in mono-color decks. I'd love to play this card in an all-white deck. WOO! If only this card was around when I designed my All-White "Answer" deck!

Ransac, cpa trash man

N

Nightstalkers

Hybrids may be okay for single color decks, but they're great for multicolor, especially running multicolor. Hybrid it negates the effect multiple "solid color" mana symbols have on the mana curve.

L

Limited

Oversoul said:
But don't hybrid cards count as multicolor?
They count as multicolor, but I was trying to point out that they were aiming for cards that could belong to either color (flavorwise) and represent an ability that both colors could have on their own.

Debtor's Knell for instance, seems a bit more black, but White has its fair share of reanimation. Printing it as a white card would not have strange.
Now consider Dovescape, which could be seen as a white enchantment that counters noncreature spells.

That doesn't seem white to me...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I guess it's the giving of Birds part, which goes to both white and blue. But I agree, Maybe there just should have been one hybrid W/U mana and the other two just as U.

G

Gizmo

My Doubling Season/Spikes deck is loving the look of this Graft mechanic. ****in A!

J

jorael

"If there's something wrong in the neighborhood. Who ya gonna call?"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know about "wrong", but I do know who I'm gonna call if there's something weird in the neighborhood... :D