Dissension Previews

B

BigBlue

Hmmm... it's odd that such a limited card (exactly 2 CC) can be so powerful...

But.... in terms of Converted CC, X is 0, right? So, for U, you counter a Drain Life? It seems powerful too that later in the game - you always wonder about casting a spell when your opponent has 1 untapped Island.... zero - you may think Force.... 1 - you maybe feel safe.... 2 - definately he's probably holding a counter.... It does change some stuff - though I do think it's limited since it only does 2 (not even 2 or less)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
X only counts as zero when it's undefined, like in your hand. If you're casting it, then X is whatever you spend it on so the Drain Life's converted mana cost is 2+X.

G

Gizmo

Spiderman said:
You don't like the card, Gizmo?
First impressions - no, it's way too limited. It's no Force Spike, that's for certain.

I'm thinking when your opponent makes first turn Kird Ape, follows up with Lion, then stick a Moldervine Cloak on one of them... you're feeling a bit crap. If it was 2cc or less then it would be much better, but even then the casting costs of decks have eased up the curve to the extent that I still would be unlikely to use it in T2. For a spell like this you need to be so sure it's going to be good that you are happy to play 4 of them (so you see them first turn) and I don't think you're ever going to be that sure you want it, so you choose to play 0 instead.

It could crop up in Extended or T1, where casting costs are very low. And I could be wrong, obviously the metagame will shift after Dissension, but my first reaction is that it's not the card they are touting it as.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Just listened to the Dissension Preview Podcast. They previewed another card on it and it is BEASTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Protean Hulk
5GG
When Protean Hulk goes to the graveyard from play, search your library for any number of creature cards with a converted mana cost 6 or less and put them into play.
6/6

Holy crap in a hand-basket while setting Spiderman ablaze with napalm!!!!!

Also, MTGSalvation.com has a pretty decent spoiler building up. HOWEVER, since I started this thread for the purpose of discussing cards as Wizards previews them, I won't discuss any of my favorite cards from that spoiler.

*Ransac pulls out his napalm gun and goes looking for Spiderman.*

Ransac, cpa trash man

D

DarthFerret

Not to be too Oversoulish Myself, but I would like to point out that with Drain Life, the casting cost is only 2 (1B). It states in the text that you have to spend more. Unlike a fireball where "x" is in the casting cost itself. As a blue player, I loved countering the Drain Life with a spell blast and holding the Power sink for the red player!

N

Nightstalkers

Spellsnare... meh...

It's an okay counterspell... looks nice to have in foil

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret said:
Not to be too Oversoulish Myself, but I would like to point out that with Drain Life, the casting cost is only 2 (1B). It states in the text that you have to spend more. Unlike a fireball where "x" is in the casting cost itself. As a blue player, I loved countering the Drain Life with a spell blast and holding the Power sink for the red player!
Yeah, Drain Life's Oracle text actually does include an "X" in the mana cost... :(

O

orgg

Pantagia are small winglike membranes, much like Flying Squirrels have.

D

DarthFerret

I like the card effects although I am tired of "Snake Tokens". Bring back the Squirrels!

I do not like the card art though. Curious to see if it is that unsightly when it is printed...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Protean Hulk does look beastly. It'll combo very well with Sneak Attack 'cause then you can get your other high cc creatures out for free! What creature type is it?

Are we talking "patagia" or "pantagia"? And yes, I seem to recall a Patagia Golem from Mirage and the art does have with flying squirrel-ish wings... (I would have said "bat-like" before orgg's definition :) )

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So is orgg thinking of something else or just made the typo twice (twice makes it seems that it was deliberate...)?

O

orgg

I made the typo twice. Patagia just doesn't flow from the fingertips like pantagia. I had to delete the "N" from the first as well. I guess it's muscle memory working against me...

N

Nightstalkers

Grafting and winged snakes oh my!

So pre-release tomorrow and then full release like... two weeks from then?