Dissension Previews

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
No, there's something else. As soon as I read "Rakdos", I immediately thought "Defiler."

Ransac, cpa trash man

L

Limited

Perhaps its part of a flavor text on a Guildpact or Ravnica card?

N

Nightstalkers

Cult of Rakdos... named after it's leader... duh...

Demon = Rakdos = defiled temples, defiled monestaries, etc. = Cult of Rakdos = Defiling

Experimental Kraj = Scary, yet seemingly hillarious

D

DarthFerret

Ok, seeing the experimental Kraj, it makes me wonder on thier definition of "activated ablities". Does this mean that if I place a +1/+1 counter on a shivan dragon, then pump him with red mana, the kraj also pumps up? Does it mean that if I put a counter on a critter with flying, that the kraj gets flying? (or do I have to activate the flight ability?). What about abilities given by enchantments? This could be a very scary thing if used intelligently. Please, someone illuminate me...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
DarthFerret said:
Ok, seeing the experimental Kraj, it makes me wonder on thier definition of "activated ablities". Does this mean that if I place a +1/+1 counter on a shivan dragon, then pump him with red mana, the kraj also pumps up? Does it mean that if I put a counter on a critter with flying, that the kraj gets flying? (or do I have to activate the flight ability?). What about abilities given by enchantments? This could be a very scary thing if used intelligently. Please, someone illuminate me...
I do believe that Kraj would just gain the abilities, like a creature enchantment.
But only activated abilities (abilities with a cost) like the shivan dragons pump, but if the dragon is pumped up, Kraj is not. Kraj's controller has to spend the R to pump Kraj. It just puts the text of the ability onto Kraj. Flying is not an activated ability, but an ability can give flying.

If the enchantment gives the creature the ability, "Enchanted creature has......", then yes it would get it.

This does not include triggered abilities, like when ~ goes to the graveyard..... blah blah blah........

J

jorael

Seems to me if a Shivan Dragon has a +1/+1 counter on it then Kraj will also gain the firebreathing ability. So you can use your red mana to pump it. But if the controller of Shivan Dragon pumps the dragon that will do nothing with Kraj.

Kraj will only be able to fly if you add a +1/+1 counter on a Mist Dragon. And Phasing ability.... Hmmmm :D

B

BigBlue

Activated abilities are those with a cost and a colon... Like the Kraj's own "T:Add a +1/+1 counter to target creature"...

What is also intriguing about this is ANY creature with a +1/+1 counter gives it's ability to the Kraj... Not just the ones it's granted counters to... that's more powerful - with spikes - say... or other oozes... Hydras.... etc... Thallids? (can't recall if any of them use +1/+1 counters rather than saproling counters)...

It's an interestng mechanic which is pretty cool...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The link for the Experimental Kraj (Mark Rosewater's, I believe) contained what qualified as an "activated ability", but BB's right....

D

DarthFerret

This set might be worth spending a bit of money on....(did I say that out loud?)

E

EricBess

Here's what I see with Aethermage's Touch:

"Reveal the top four cards of your library. You may put a creature card from among them...(blah blah)...[into] its owner's hand"

It's an expensive, limited version of Impulse. Yes, it has potential to be more, but 1) the creature doesn't gain haste, and 2) it might miss. I think if you build a deck around the card, you are going to end up with a decent amount of unplayable cards.

It doesn't have the same problem that some of these cards have, where you simply have to leave out utility cards to avoid getting those instead.

It does have the additional flexibility of potentially blocking. If you are lucky, your creature comes back to your hand. If you are very lucky, theirs dies. A surprise defender can't be all bad, but don't necessarily expect to get anything that you really want to block with.

Would I play this card in limited? Certainly. Might even try to build a constructed deck around it, but I don't see it breaking the tournament scene wide open anytime soon. I've been wrong before, though...

L

Limited

EricBess said:
It's an expensive, limited version of Impulse. Yes, it has potential to be more, but 1) the creature doesn't gain haste, and 2) it might miss. I think if you build a deck around the card, you are going to end up with a decent amount of unplayable cards.
1) It is an instant, and the creature returns to your hand at end of your turn. It might not have haste, but it'll be a surprise blocker and an unforseen attacker.
2) Is very true. But in a creature heavy deck with top of library manipulation, this won't happen often.