CPA Set - Finalize cards

L

Limited

I agree, this is no common.

Perhaps, it could become a legendary creature? And rare of course..

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Card Name: Scales of Justice
Color: W
Cost: 2WWW
Type: Sorcery
Pow/Tgh:
Rules Text: Each player counts their permanents. Then each player sacrifices permanents they control until they share an equal amount of permanents with the player that controls the fewest.
Flavor Text:
Rarity: C
Artist:
Number: 11/186

Isn't this a bit overcosted? Balance is only 1W and doesn't give opponents the ability to choose which type of permenent to sacrifice and it does nothing to opponents (or your) hand.

I'd make it 1W or 2W.

Thoughts?

L

Limited

I wouldn't want to compare it Balance. Balance is way too good as it is (its still restricted right? I mean, its restricted in Type 1. That should tell us something) but this one does do something a lot less powerfull..

On the other, you are forcing the Aggro player across from you to either throw away his creatures (which will let you, UW control, win the game) or throw away land (letting you win as soon as you draw a WoG or similar card) or combination of both (in which case he can't kill you fast enough anyway, and the WoG or similar card will still screw him over). So, this is a I win card for control decks. That's fine of course, if Balancing Act wasn't already in excistence.

Do we really need to make another Balancing Act?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Limited said:
That's fine of course, if Balancing Act wasn't already in excistence.
Do we really need to make another Balancing Act?
No, we do not.
Could we change it to say......

XWW or XW

Each player sacs X permanents and discards X cards?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Mooseman said:
Could we change it to say......

XWW or XW

Each player sacs X permanents and discards X cards?

New Sac Card
XWW
Sorcery
Each players sacrifices X permanents. Then, each player discards X cards.

Say.... that's a nifty (yes, nifty) idea. It gives a completely new look to the concept. Actually, this makes the scales into a completely new card. It wouldn't be scales anymore. For example, played in W/G aggro/token, this card wins the game. You can pump mana into the sorcery for as many permanents as the opponent has and then sacrifice only tokens while maintaining your power.

This really doesn't balance out the board and it actually benefits the playing already ahead. I'm not saying that it's a bad concept, but it's COMPLETELY overpowered (IMHO). Maybe changing the cost to XXWW? I dunno. Whatever you do to THIS particular card, it is not a replacement for Scales of Justice's ideal. I suggest we move this idea back to the main-thread.

I'm not sure who came up with Scales of Justice (Mooseman?), but I don't believe they were familiar with Balancing Act to begin with. Here's what the card was:

Balancing Act
Odyssey rare
2WW
Sorcery
Each player chooses a number of permanents he or she controls equal to the number of permanents controlled by the player who controls the fewest, then sacrifices the rest. Each player discards cards the same way.

The only difference betweens Mooseman's card and this one is that Mooseman's doesn't have you discard cards. WITH this in mind, if we wish to keep the card, I suggest a casting cost of either WWW or 1WW. OH, and it's definitely a rare. And I matched the text to be even with the text from BA.

Cost: 1WW
Pow/Tgh:
Rules Text: Each player chooses a number of permanents he or she controls equal to the number of permanents controlled by the player who controls the fewest, then sacrifices the rest.
Flavor Text:
Rarity: R
Artist:

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
It was a Zigathon submitted card and I don't have a big problem with it being a rare and 1WW to cast.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Cost: 1WW
Pow/Tgh:
Rules Text: Each player chooses a number of permanents he or she controls equal to the number of permanents controlled by the player who controls the fewest, then sacrifices the rest.
Flavor Text:
Rarity: R
Artist:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Card Name: Shield Opponent
Cost: 1W
Type: Instant
Pow/Tgh:
Rules Text: Target opponent can't be the target of spells or abilities until end of turn
Flavor Text:
Artist:
Number: 13/186

I don't know about this one. Who would use it in a deck?
It's focus is very narrow. Maybe if it did something for the caster too.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I think you should leave the text the way it is. It's a nice sideboard against burn (we could probably add more burn to the set) and targeted life-loss.

But, I say the cost goes down to W.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Sorry. Wrong train of thought :rolleyes:. Keep the 1W casting cost and alter it to this:

Target player can't be the target of spells or abilities until end of turn.

This can be a great card, but I think it'll warrant an uncommon spot.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
But, I don't think that's what Limited was going for.
I don't mind the target opponent, because it can be used in multi-player games, but it doesn't do anything else to make you want to add it to a deck.
If it was a cantrip, or prevent 1 damage to creature or player, or something.....

Limited? What's up with this card.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ransac said:
Random tech spell.

Bonfire
2RR
Instant
Destroy target artifact. Bonfire deals 4 damage to that artifact's controller.

Blistering Storm
4RR
Instant
Blistering Storm deals 4 damage to 4 target creatures.

Ransac, cpa trash man
Shouldn't these go in the design thread?
This is the finalize thread.
Move it and I'll comment.

Z

Zigathon

Scales of Justice's new casting cost, etc, is exactly what I had in mind when I designed it. I tend to overcost things due to the overall power level. I was also not aware of Balancing Act. I wasn't playing for a number of years until Fifth Dawn.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Zigathon said:
Scales of Justice's new casting cost, etc, is exactly what I had in mind when I designed it. I tend to overcost things due to the overall power level. I was also not aware of Balancing Act. I wasn't playing for a number of years until Fifth Dawn.
I didn't know about it either, but I liked the card, so were keeping it (at least for now).

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Mooseman said:
Card Name: Shield Opponent
Cost: 1W
Type: Instant
Pow/Tgh:
Rules Text: Target opponent can't be the target of spells or abilities until end of turn
Flavor Text:
Artist:
Number: 13/186

I don't know about this one. Who would use it in a deck?
It's focus is very narrow. Maybe if it did something for the caster too.

Ransac said:
Keep the 1W casting cost and alter it to this:
Target player can't be the target of spells or abilities until end of turn.
This can be a great card, but I think it'll warrant an uncommon spot.
Ransac, cpa trash man
mooseman said:
But, I don't think that's what Limited was going for.
I don't mind the target opponent, because it can be used in multi-player games, but it doesn't do anything else to make you want to add it to a deck.
If it was a cantrip, or prevent 1 damage to creature or player, or something.....
Limited? What's up with this card.

tag guard

L

Limited

I needed it for somekind of deck, but I can't remember which card it was supposed to compensate for... it is supposed to counteract drawbacks like that of Forbidden Orchard.. Perhaps Sky Swallower?

Anyway, it does feel like an Uncommon and perhaps it could cost 1WW and let you draw a card?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Limited said:
I needed it for somekind of deck, but I can't remember which card it was supposed to compensate for... it is supposed to counteract drawbacks like that of Forbidden Orchard.. Perhaps Sky Swallower?

Anyway, it does feel like an Uncommon and perhaps it could cost 1WW and let you draw a card?
Wow, I just got it..... it would be great against Congregate and stuff like that.
How about a split card or an entwine one?

Target opponent can't be the target of spells or abilities until end of turn
and
Deal 1 damage to each creature

the white/Read could be called Shield/Lance

or a white split card called Serve and Protect

Target opponent can't be the target of spells or abilities until end of turn
and
Prevent 1 damage to target creature or player

tag guard