Coldsnap Previews

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Ronom Hulk

A 5/6 for 5 mana (only one of which is pre-determined). Protection for snow. And the cumulative upkeep is only 1? This isn't half bad. In fact, this is a draft bomb!

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The protection looks like it only matters with other Coldsnap cards and a cumulative upkeep is an annoying drawback. I guess it might still be good in limited, though...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Out of all those cards Mishra's Bauble interests me the most. I think it will be slightly better than Urza's Bauble, which is a decent deck-thinner.

O

orgg

Well, I'm SO glad that Mishra's bauble is not rare.

I know what my decklists will say for the next few years, at least at the very top.

4x Mishra's Bauble

I also thought he was making a joke after reading the intro, and seeing Snow Covered Forest right below it. That was awesome.

L

Limited

I really like the Ripple effects.. I'm already trying to think of a way to let them go round for a couple of times :D

Soulspike is kinda overcosted (compare it to Ribbons of Night, which can't target players, but might draw you a card) and what sticks out the most is the horrible art. What was this guy doing? Munching down on some smurphs?

D

dwarven_anarchist

I like the Owl Keeper alot. Him + Doubling Season = Lots of tiny fliers!

E

EricBess

Something to keep in mind about ripple effects. When they designed the set, they knew that it was effectively a "stand alone". Sure, it's the "third set in the Ice Age Block", but realistically, drafts are always going to be triple Coldsnap.

Because of that, they intentionally added mechanics and abilities that would take advantage of the smaller set with triple draft. Ripple is one of those abilities. Remember, if you manage to draft 5 or 6, you can play them all...

N

Nightstalkers

Ripple has possibilities... if you chain through a few of them you have a possibilty of rippling them all.

Mishra's Bauble with the Apocalypse symbol, lol.

So will they have the "{S} can be paid by mana..." on all the cards that use it?

L

Lythand

Yea. Im not so sure she we be that great in Standard. Maybe has a chance in extended. But this card has Multiplayer and casual all over it.

D

dwarven_anarchist

Limited said:
Him + Doubling Season = Very big cumulative upkeep :(
Yeah, but big cumulative upkeep X 2 (Courtesy of the Season) = A great many Bird tokens.

N

Nightstalkers

Mooseman said:
They should nickname it Florida
lol, when it does snow those floridians are almost as bad as californians in Oregon snow.

J

jorael

Time to Rally my old warrior deck together again.

This woman means business!

N

Nightstalkers

Jester's Scepter 3
Artifact - Rare
When Jester's Scepter comes into play, remove the top five cards of target player's library from the game face down. You may look at those cards as long as they remain removed from the game.

2, T: Put a card removed from the game with Jester's Scepter into it's owner's graveyard: Counter target spell if it has the same name as that card.

N

Nightstalkers

Commandeer 5UU
Instant - Rare
You may remove two blue cards in your hand from the game rather than pay Commandeer's mana cost.

Gain control of target noncreature spell. You may choose new targets for it (If that spell is an artifact or enchantment, the permanent comes into play under your control.)

Seems like the new Force of Will, but is it too expensive to trump the olde beaute?